Two Weeks Earlier Pt.1

Scam Your Heart

------ Two weeks earlier ------

------Yoon Gi’s POV------

I woke up to the sound of my intercom going off. Fighting gravity, I sat up on my bed. The sound of my intercom still going off.

I looked at the screen and it was two men, one holding a police badge to the camera. Why would the police be here? I didn’t lose my wallet did I?

I opened the door and welcomed the two officers into my apartment.

“Mr Min, we’ve been trying to track Mrs Ryu Hye Jung down. She’s your mother right?”

Oh… so this is about my mother.

“I haven’t kept contact with her since I was 16. What has she done?”

I knew roughly what she has done. It’s been the same thing the past 8 years. She’s probably scammed some man out of his life savings.

“We’ve believe that she has moved from her previous location to Seoul. We were wondering if she has made any-”

“Officers, just like I said before, I haven’t seen or heard of her since I was 16. We’re not exactly on speaking terms.”

One of the officers rubbed his forehead and fixed the position of his glasses, “Okay, we understand what you’re trying to say. Look, if you hear anything from her, let us know.”

I nodded and opened the door for the officers to leave. I just realised that the officers never told me what my mother did. It might be suspicious if I didn’t ask them what she did. Before the second officer left the apartment, I stopped him.

“Oh, and why are you looking for my mother again?”

“Your mother has been suspected of being involved in the embezzlement of money from small companies and scamming.”

“Ah… I see…”

I sighed and fell back onto my bed. A part of me wanted her to get caught. A part me so desperately wanted her to be served justice through the system but a part me kept murmuring “mother”. The discouraging feeling of my classmates’ mothers praying and cheering them on for university exams. The hollow feeling from seeing my classmates receiving flowers from their mothers on graduation. Similar flashbacks replayed in my mind.

After a brief shower, I made up my mind to call a private investigator. It seems farfetched but it’s probably the only way to get to her before the police does and to prevent her from stealing money from innocent people.

------End of Yoon Gi’s POV------

 

“Please enjoy your meal!” You beamed at the customers as you placed their meals on the table.

Your head turned to follow the sound of your father’s laughter. For the past two weeks, the restaurant had a new regular customer – a lady. Each day she would have something new from the menu, the meal usually being your father’s suggestion. Today was no different, she was back again and she is chatting up your father.

You looked out the window and spotted your brother still busking across the road. Notifying an employing, you took off your apron and headed out to your brother.

“Do you have a song request?” your brother asked half-heartedly while playing around with the equipment.

You crossed your arms and lifted your chin in the direction of your father and the woman.

“That lady… she’s been coming in every day…”

“So? More money for us.”

You frowned and nudged your brother, “No, look at them. Dad looks interested in her.”

Young Jae exhaled loudly, “Miss Yoo Jin Ae, can you please worry about your own love life? Dad is old enough to date.”

“Urgh. No point talking to you,” defeated in continuing the conversation with your brother, you reminded him of the upcoming dinner shift, “Sing a couple of more songs and come in and help with prepping the ingredients.”