Chapter 6

11:11

A few days left before Christmas, the rest of the squad went on an out of town trip. They went to a vintage but grand vacation house owned by the Lee family somewhere near the coast of Haenam. The mansion is erected at the top of a hill overlooking the view of the entire province alongside the breath taking beach of the Yellow Sea. 

"Wow, I can’t believe the guy owns this place" Mark eyeing the house the moment he stepped out of Yuta’s car. He rode with Ten, Sicheng and Jeno. “’s about to get real!”

 

Ten smacked the back of Mark’s head. “You little punk, calm yourself we’re here to have fun.” The rest of them removed their luggage from the shuttle. Ten added, “I need this, we all need this. Relax, away from the city.”

 

Taeyong’s car hovered beside Yuta’s shuttle. Taeyong asked Jaehyun to ride with him. When the car is parked Jaehyun finally spoke wondering, "So mystery boy this is where you go on vacations huh?" Taeyong climbs quickly out of the car, and opened Jaehyun’s door, being a true gentleman that he is. 

 

"We used to go here a lot when I was younger," Taeyong says. "You like it?" He reaches out for Jaehyun’s hand and guided him out of the car, Jaehyun follows him to the trunk to grab their bags.

"I can't believe you got me to take a week-long off work to come to this place," Jaehyun says admiring the view. "Thank you hyung."

Taeyong averted his look at Jaehyun when he thanked him. They stared at each other a little too long that Jaehyun was sure he could feel his cheeks warm up, little did he know so does Taeyong. Ten interrupted them and shouted, “This place is incredible!” Both of them jumped in surprise and looked at Ten, astound. “Why do you guys looked so flushed?”

 

 “We’re not. It’s just the sun.” Jaehyun responded, hiding his embarrassment in his tone.

 

“Come on guys let’s go inside.” Taeyong added.

 

The boys gathered their bags from the cars and unloaded.


"If you guys are wondering, the house is not abandoned," Taeyong says.

 

“What do you mean by not abandoned?” Mark interrupts sounding a bit scared. “Are there ghosts in here?”

 

Yuta slowly creeped behind Mark and startles him with a loud, “BOO!”

 

Mark exclaimed, “Mother f-“ Ten covered his mouth and all of them laughed.

 

“There’s a housekeeper here, Ms. Song and her staff she’s very lovely. And no, there are no ghosts here Mark, not that I know of at least.”

 

“This is going to be a good!” Yuta shouted.


Jaehyun hasn't been on a bonding vacation since he was a first year undergrad. He doesn't remember every details of the trip but the feeling is good. But something on his mind bothered him. "I hope everyone enjoys…"

"Is there something bothering you Jaehyunie?" Taeyong asks, concerned. "Take a deep breath and relax," Taeyong says, as he leads the way up to the grand gate. "For 6 days. Relax. The café is closed, so there’s nothing's to worry about there. Why is your mind still back in Seoul?"

Jaehyun considers telling Taeyong about his grandma.

"I'm relaxed," he says. "Let's get inside, and fix our stuff."

Ms. Song is waiting inside, she introduced herself as Victoria. Taeyong was right she’s lovely and very kind. She toured them a bit and guided them to their rooms. She's smart, and clearly an old friend of Taeyong, the way they tease each other. Jaehyun expects Taeyong to get caught up in conversation, but he sticks to Jaehyun like velcro, he even stayed on Jaehyun’s room asking him random questions about almost anything and everything.

"What's with the interrogation hyung?"

"I want to know you more," Taeyong says. "And we barely spend time going out, just the two of us."

Jaehyun finds himself answering questions about his favorite places when he was a kid and his favorite novels, and Taeyong vows to show his collection of first edition of George R.R Martin’s ‘Song of Fire and Ice’.

When the others are finished unpacking in their respective rooms, the house is filled with buzzling, and Jaehyun forgets to be worried and enjoys the fun and warm atmosphere of their holiday getaway.



Jaehyun is preparing dinner when Mark and Jeno came into the kitchen, looting through the cabinets and drawers until they find the chips. They pour them into a bowl and threw the bag on the counter. Chip crumbs scatter everywhere. Jaehyun sighs.

Taeyong’s head comes up from his phone at the sound. His bangs are covering his face. "Don't leave that there," he snaps at Mark. "You're creating more work for Jaehyunie."

"Don’t worry about it, Tae—" Jaehyun watches in awe as Mark picks up the bag and carefully swipes the crumbs into his palms, throwing them away. "Thank you, Mark?"

"Sorry, hyung," Mark says, and Yuta is cackling while Ten applauds dramatically.

"We should start calling Taeyong, the knight in shining armor," Ten says, and Mark smirks. "Getting all riled up on Jaehyunie’s behalf."

"I'm not listening to Taeyong," Mark rebutted. "I don't want to make more work for Jaehyun-hyung. That’s all"

"I appreciate that." He goes back to stuffing the turkey.

"Jaehyunie is Taeyong’s favorite," Yuta says, and Taeyong balks, chasing Yuta out of the kitchen as Jaehyun adjusts the pre-heated oven’s heat at precisely 435.14 degrees.
 
"Cute," Ten says. "Taeyong likes you as much as you like him. Isn’t that adorable."

Jaehyun is pretty sure he doesn't, but it's a nice idea.

Taeyong comes back into the kitchen, puffed and smiley, and Jaehyun can’t help himself blush. "Hi chef, reporting for duty!" Taeyong says teasingly, and Jaehyun felt light-hearted, moments like this makes living worth it. Jaehyun guides Taeyong in preparing his special paella dish, little to his surprise Taeyong is actually good at cooking.



Most nights when Jaehyun is alone, he spends his time singing, only Ten knows how good Jaehyun is in terms of music. He has heard Jaehyun sing in their apartment multiple times, and impressive is an understatement. 

 

Jaehyun finds an empty room at the end of a hallway, it was majestic, and the room has a floor length door that leads to a balcony overlooking the Haenam coast. The moon was full and it lit up the sea making it sparkle brightly in the night. Jaehyun opened the door and cold air hit his face. 

 

He felt a bit nostalgic. He remembers his life and how he wishes that everything would be better, not only for him but also for the people he loved dearly. He took his phone out and played an instrumental song. A little later, he started singing.

 

Cause you are

The light that fell on me

You are, like a beautiful dream

With seven rays, the whole world

Is colored beautifully

Always, you are

 

He was so engaged in singing, he felt just letting it all out. He continues,

 

When the rain that wets my windows stops,

Under the Rainbow

You must be waiting

The stories I couldn’t say

All of the secrets I couldn’t do

I want to deliver it today

 

Jaehyun was still singing soulfully he didn’t realize someone came in.

 

You are always beside me

You are inside of my tender heart

Even more shining and beautifully

It fills the night sky

You’re my star

Yeah you are

Oh you are

 

‘The song finished and another song started to play, “You have such a lovely voice Jae.” he was startled as Taeyong’s soothing voice echoes through the room.
.

Jaehyun seemed winded, he don’t know what to say he can’t look at Taeyong directly for he felt extremely shy. 

 

“Why did you stop?” Taeyong asked, slowly approaching Jaehyun.


"It’s nothing," Jaehyun says, finally locking his gaze towards Taeyong. Taeyong still walks closer, inch by inch until their faces barely touch.

"You don't have to be embarrassed about doing something you love, Jaehyunie." Taeyong brushed Jaehyun’s hair away from his face. His eyes closed, Jaehyun likes that simple touch so much. He opens his eyes but Taeyong continues. "If that’s what keeps you feel at ease."

There was a short pause before Jaehyun spoke, "It’s getting late though, shouldn’t we rest?"


"Can you accompany me a little longer? I don’t feel like sleeping yet" Jaehyun can't say 'no' to the optimistic look on Taeyong's face. 


"Sure Taeyongie, no problem," Jaehyun says.

 

They walk towards the living area and sat on the sofa while watching television.

"So you sing," Taeyong says, and Jaehyun just stares, "You don't have to be embarrassed though, it's true, I haven't heard you sing before but you do have an amazing voice." Taeyong added and Jaehyun smiles.

 

They talk about random things for a couple of minutes one story at a time, until Taeyong said, "Can you sing me to sleep?" 

 

Jaehyun was about to decline but he couldn't resist Taeyong. So he let Taeyong lay on his lap as he sings and after a few lullabies gentle snores interrupt the flow of his notes. Jaehyun pushes the hair out of Taeyong's face, and his heart feels laden with a lot of feelings that he's afraid to venture in to.

Taeyong looks even more angelic sleeping. Jaehyun doesn't want to wake him up, so he leans his head back on the couch, and dozes off sitting up.



Jaehyun wakes up when a faint hint of sunlight shines on him. He's under the comfort of his blankets. He opened his eyes only to find out someone sleeping beside him. There is an arm around his torso, and he traces it to a peacefully sleeping Taeyong on top of the covers.

He looked so calm, he resisted the urge to touch his face but his hands did it anyway. He traces Taeyong's sharp jaws, soft lips, and long lashes. Taeyong seemed to feel it "Jae," he says. His voice is lower than usual, groggy from sleep. "I didn't want you to sleep uncomfortably, so I carried you here." Taeyong smiles, and finally opens his eyes. "I stayed here for a few minutes but then I think I fell asleep."

"That's all right," Jaehyun replies, feeling the morning stickiness of his mouth.

"You're even cuter when you sleep," Taeyong says. "And you’re so light I wasn't expecting that."

"I'm not light," Jaehyun says, about to get up.

"My cute hunnie," Taeyong hums, before rolling onto his back and sitting up himself. "Do you mind going out with me today?"

Jaehyun doesn't mind keeping all of Taeyong's attention today. They're only here for a couple of days. It can be a break from denying how much he enjoys Taeyong's company, too. "Sure, that sounds nice."

"Do you think the others will mind that I'm monopolizing you?" Taeyong's eyes was chinky than usual, his hair tousled into a slight mess but he still looks breathtaking. 

"Why would they?" Jaehyun says, and Taeyong grabs his arm.

"Then let's get ready to go, we have a lot to do today.”



Taeyong arranged a little trip, an island hoping for Jaehyun they decided to go on a picnic to a small island adjacent to Haenam coast, not too far.

 

"This is nice, a beach picnic in December. Though it’s not very warm like summer, don't you think?" Taeyong asked.

 

"Yes. It feels warmer here than the city."

 

They are walking on the sandy beach of the small island talking. The sun is starting to set.


"The boat won't start, I think it’s jammed." Taeyong doesn't seem very bothered, but Jaehyun is a worried on almost everything. "Yep it's definitely broken."

"I can't get any signal on my phone." Jaehyun shivers. It's getting dark, and his coat, which had been almost too warm at three in the afternoon, is now not warm enough. 

"Are you okay?" Taeyong asks, and Jaehyun nods quickly.

"I'm f-fine," he says. In the fading light, he can see Taeyong frown. "It is a bit chilly," he adds, and then looks down at his sneakers. At least there isn't any snow on the ground.

Suddenly, a pair of long arms wrap around him, pulling him back into Taeyong's chest. Taeyong's breath is hot on his ear, and Jaehyun isn't sure, for a moment, that he can even remember the cold. "I'm sorry," Taeyong says. "I'll keep you warm."

They find a large tree to block the wind, and sit beneath it, Taeyong's back to the tree and Jaehyun between his legs. "You'll get cold," Jaehyun protests, and Taeyong shakes his head, moving his whole body with the force of it.

"You're so delicate," Taeyong says. "Let me take care of you." Taeyong's arms around him do keep the evening ice bearable, but Jaehyun is painfully aware of Taeyong's legs pressing against his outer thighs and Taeyong's cheek pressed against his own.

To distract them both, Jaehyun starts asking questions of Taeyong this time. About Taeyong's father's business and about Yuta. Even questions about Jenie, and how Taeyong's father had introduced them when Taeyong was still in high school. "My parents love her," Taeyong says. "Her father is a business associate of my father. It's nice to date someone I've chosen." There is an implied or they would have chosen someone for me in that.

"She seems like the perfect match," Jaehyun says. It is not what he wants to say, but it is true.

Taeyong doesn't respond immediately. When he does, it is rather different, "Do you ever think to yourself ‘something’s not right, I’ve ed up'?" he says, and Jaehyun laughs.

"Occasionally," Jaehyun says lightly. His voice is muffled, but he's sure Taeyong heard him clearly.

"I think about it a lot," Taeyong admits. Jaehyun closes his eyes.

"Why?"

"I have my ways of insubordination," Taeyong says. "But in the end, I'm still living a lie."

"What's the lie?" Jaehyun says. "Rich boy with no experience in working at a café, has a beautiful girlfriend, who is studying what he loves."

"The lie…" Taeyong says. "The lie is—"

"Jae! Jaehyun, can you hear me?" It's Ten's voice, and then he sees light moving. He pulls himself free of Taeyong's arms, and the sudden rush of cold is secondary to his relief.

"We're here, we're here!"

"Mark is pretty sure you’ve been devoured by wolves and I think Sicheng gave him some Halcion in the hopes that you'd be back before he wakes." Ten sounds relieved.

"I hope you didn’t gave him too much," Taeyong says, his hands are back on Jaehyun's shoulders.

"I think we have it under control, frog prince," Ten says. Next to him, Victoria is looking at them both, puzzled.

"This is all good, but we should head back."

"How did you know to search for us?" Jaehyun asks. "I can’t get any phone signal in here, so when the boat got jammed—"

"It was your turn to cook dinner," Ten says. "And you're never late for responsibility. So I called Victoria-sunbaenim because she knows the place best, and we tracked you down."

As they head back to the mansion, Taeyong grabs Jaehyun's wrist and holds on. "What were you saying earlier?" Jaehyun asks. "About lies?"

"Nothing," Taeyong says, and for the first time, Jaehyun thinks Taeyong's grin is a little grim. He wanted to insist, but lets it go anyway.



A few days had past and they were to go back to Seoul. The ride home is quiet. Taeyong raps along with the radio, and Jaehyun puts his walls back up, brick by brick.

By the time they get back to city, he's already thinking about work.

 

 

"There’s this charity ball at Ostroff Cultural Center that my parents are organizing," Yuta says. “I was wondering if you guys could come."

"Charity ball on Ostroff? Why, do you guys own that or something?" Mark asks.

"Not really my parents are a part of the socialite council here in our city and organizing parties is one of their thing.” He answers, “Taeyong’s parents are a part too, but it’s my parents turn to host this month."

"Well that sounds fancy," Ten says.

 

“The attire will be semi-formal but it’s not like what you see in movies, it’s just a get together with several people involved. Even normal citizens are invited too. And each year they choose a foundation to help the funding with.”

 

“Well that’s generous of you.” Mark says.

"I’m expecting you all to come," Yuta says. "Taeyong’s going to be there as well. Though his parents are flying abroad this holidays"

"Abroad?" Mark asks. "So Taeyong-hyung’s family really are rich."

Yuta retorts, "They are. You didn’t really know huh?" 

"Taeyong doesn’t share that much about his life," Ten answers, and Jaehyun suddenly wondered how he hadn’t sense it. Taeyong’s quite clumsy on things that they do, because he was born with a silver spoon on his mouth. 

"I see," Yuta says. "Well, we can go have fun there. There’s a lot of activities to do. Please say yes."

"Yes," Mark and Ten agreed speaking in harmony.

"I'll have to pass on this one," Jaehyun says.

"Uh no you won’t," Ten says. "I'll convince him."

“I hope you can,” Yuta replies to Ten, he shifted his optimistic look to Jaehyun “This will be fun Jaehyun.”

 

At home, later, Ten catches Jaehyun cutting vegetables for supper.

"What’s wrong? Why don't you want to go to the party?" His hands are on his hips. Jaehyun readies the broth and drops in the veggies.

"I don’t think I belong to those kinds of stuff," Jaehyun says.

"Why not? You're friends with at least six of the people there. Yuta is sure to ask Sicheng, and Mark is bringing Jeno. Yuta and Taeyong and me… Why wouldn't you belong there?"

Jaehyun washes the chopping board carefully brushing its surface. "I don't expect you to get it," Jaehyun says and added, "but I feel like I don't belong even on normal days. Putting myself in a situation where I'll be surrounded by people who know what they're doing with their lives or don't have worries like mine is…"

Ten shakes his head. "Money isn't—"

"It's not just money," Jaehyun says, and then looks down at the sink bowl. "It's… other things." He tries on a smile in the mirror, and when it doesn't fall, he looks at Ten. "Don't worry about it."

"It wouldn't kill you to let me worry about you," Ten says. "This is why you need a girlfriend. To pry these things out of you. it up a bit. Whenever I do it, I feel much better. You should try it sometime."

"Ten…”

"I know, I know. No more matchmaking." Ten teases and hovers toward the stool near the kitchen counter top. "Oh I almost forgot, aren’t you wondering what a rich kid like Taeyong is working in our shop? I don’t mean to stereotype but just out of curiosity"

Jaehyun contemplates but he let it go. “Maybe he loves coffee.” He answers and started eating. Ten grabbed a plate and sat beside Jaehyun.

 

Dinner is served.

 

 

 

-------> hi guys! are you wondering what song did Jaehyun sing? if so please listen to this. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd0O9K0Us-Q