Chapter 2

Aeternum Vale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
To see her talk so passionately made me change my mind about the way I was perceiving  doctors. That’s when I learned that she wasn’t made for this world, she was made for me only. I hope my lovely readers don’t picture me as a possessive person but in case they  do, they are right. - A.T.

 

"My goodness, have you read this stuff right here? This is utterly shocking and unbelievable." Hansol was looking through the files, a disapproving look taking over his features. His legs were spread on the couch as he was laying down while Nari was in the kitchen preparing dinner for the two of them since they both decided that pasta was a more fitting dish than Hansol's suspicious looking burgers. "The subject was exposed to long term trauma, having experienced physical and emotional abuse during his childhood. We do not know what triggered the collapse of his mental stability since he seemed to get over it in his teenage years with the help of a psychologist." The man was reading out loud so his friend could hear all of it.

But Nari didn't need to be told again all that information because she had already read it twice before arriving here. She knew that right now she was breaking the rule of confidentiality between a patient and the doctor but if there was someone who could help her with not one, but two complicated cases Hansol was the person. "Their medication troubles me the most. Do they really expect spectacular results with a truck of pills and only four hours of counselling a week?" The girl shook her head and mixed the sauce in the pan, looking from time to time at the boy who was lazily scanning the papers.

"These names seem extremely familiar to me so I'll check them out." He said more to himself and put the laptop on his stomach starting his research, letting out a groan or exclamation every time he came across something interesting.

"Well do your thing because I want to have my facts straight tomorrow. I already know how to handle those two men but I'm more nervous about how their families are going to behave. Sometimes people get so delusional, thinking that if you talk to someone and gulp down three colored pills you will be all smiles after that. Situations like these need to be taken care of slowly and efficiently because the patient needs to trust you first before opening up to you." Putting the plates on the small table that was situated in the middle of the living room, Nari sat down on an armchair and stretched her sore muscles.

"Look at you doll, talking from the books and all." Hansol teased and put the laptop aside replacing it with his full plate of steaming pasta. "But I agree with you, sometimes the family is worse than the subject."

"Ugh, I have always hated this word - subject. It's like you are talking about a lab rat instead of a human being. Why can't they just use mate or pal?" Nari giggled at the thought while eating and saw two sheets of paper being printed out. "Are you kidding me? Are those their profiles?"

"I just gathered all the data I could find around. At least now you will know something about their background. Might be helpful." Hansol commented and extended his arm over the couch, taking the papers with a bit of struggle and handing them to Nari. "I also included all the things from their files so that's as complete as you could get."

"Thanks." The girl showed him a quick smile and put her plate aside, scanning the data in front of her. "Let's see...Lee Taeyong. He is 25 years old, lived all his life in Seoul, went to good schools and graduated business management. His parents own a hotel chain and several clubs all across the country. He has a fiancé and postponed the marriage because of the state he is in. He suffers from major depression, anxiety, insomnia, took drugs and has been treated for 5 months but with little signs of getting better." Closing her eyes, she let her head fall back and while all the information sunk in, Nari was already making all sorts of plans regarding how to approach him. He still talked which was a good sign but that didn't mean he would cooperate in no time. Her eyelids fluttered back open and she gazed at the picture of a young, handsome man with sharp features and even sharper eyes. He screamed confidence and power, the exact opposite of a person that suffered such problems.

"Let me read the other one, it's far more interesting." Hansol sat back and took the sheet of paper. "This is Youngho Seo also known as Johnny." He showed you the picture of another man, equally as handsome as Taeyong but with a softer visage and elegant style. Again, he was everything but having a mental disorder but maybe that was so unfair about this kind of illnesses, they didn't care about the money and the status of a person - they didn't discriminate. They took them all, one by one. "He is 26 and all this life has been going back and forth between Chicago and Seoul. As expected, rich parents are CEO's of big multinational companies and therefore he had been more around nannies and bodyguards. Doctors don't have an exact cause for his major depression but they put it on genetics since cases of mild depression are not uncommon in his family. He has hypersomnia, had several suicide attempts and refuses to move unless he wants to. Doctors even tried electroconvulsive therapy on him.

"Wait, he agreed to it?" Nari interrupted him and raised an eyebrow. This type of treatment was the last resort but it was rarely practiced because of its not so pleasant effects.

"Actually he refused to do it but his parents said he wasn't in the right state of mind to decide for himself and they agreed for him. God, they shocked this guy and it wasn't even his decision. No wander he doesn't talk or move." Hansol sighed loudly and looked over Nari who was clearly tormented by the whole situation. She was very good at what she did, he could affirm that without blinking, but even the best doctors had their limits. Not everyone could be cured and what really scared him the most was Nari pushing herself in order to see those two guys better and forgetting about herself.

"Maybe it's not that hard as it sounds. M-Maybe they will open up quickly so we could work together, right?" Nari tried to lie to herself and her eyes looked at the floor, already feeling overwhelmed by the pressure on her shoulders.

"It will be alright. You are brilliant, you treated patients that others wouldn't have given them a chance." Hansol crouched in front of her so he could look at her and held her hands gently. "The Nari I know doesn't run away from a challenge. The Nari I know will prove everyone wrong and fix these people. I don't say it won't be hard but in the end all your hard work will pay off." The man smiled at her comfortingly and Nari couldn't help but smile back at him. Hansol was right, she was going to do the impossible. She was going to show the world that life was for everyone.

 

 

"Alright doctor Jung, I hope you are prepared. We have arranged the rooms for both males but it seems that Taeyong has arrived first. The nurses and his parents have already accommodated him in his room where, by the way, all your counselling will take place. He doesn't like to go out much but his mother told me that he enjoys nature." The manager was talking quickly as he was leading Nari to meet with Taeyong's relatives. "I swear I need a raise with all this stress on me."

It was hard for the psychiatrist not to scoff at him but she managed to keep a straight face as she was carrying with her a small fabric bag. Last night, after finding what type of people her patients were, she started to prepare and made a plan for each of them. Considering all the data she had, she hoped that Taeyong would be less troubling and could form a bond faster than Johnny. At least theoretically. However, Nari didn't get her hopes high because she knew it was more to him that it met the eye.

As she was lost in her thoughts Nari didn't even notice that she was already in the main hall, a group of people gathered in the corner whispering and looking around restlessly. "Oh, here you are!" The manager exclaimed way happier than he intended and approached the strangers, bowing to every one of them and Nari did the same. "M'am, this is doctor Jung. From now on she will look after your son and we all hope she will make him feel better." The man put his hand on Nari's back and forcefully pushed her in front of them, almost making her stumble.

"Hello, my name is Jung Nari. I will do my best." The girl said and bowed again in front of the family, trying to smile as all eyes were on her.

"This little girl is a doctor?!" A woman in her 50's asked shocked, her high pinched voice hurting Nari's ears. She had definite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter