Chapter 1

First Impressions

She was screwed. Absolutely screwed. Panic evidently had seized her conscious thoughts as she gazed blankly at the now black computer screen. The brunette worked up the courage to click the power button one last time; hoping for some sort of ‘fifteenth time’s the charm’ miracle. Her practically ancient computer buzzed; indicating some form of life and making the brunette pathetically hopeful.

‘It usually takes up to 5 seconds to turn on.’

 

5…

‘It’ll turn on this time I can feel it.’

4…

Nothing.

3…

Still nothing.

2…

“Come on…”

1…

 

 

The buzz of the computer fans fizzled to a halt.

 “ing hell!” This was bad. Very bad. She had to make a plan – immediately.

Yongsun began pacing around the cosy space of her dorm room; cogs turning vigorously in her head in desperate attempt to churn out some sort of solution. It was 8 degrees outside yet Yongsun felt treacherously warm. Perspiration began to coat her forehead as her breathes grew alarmingly rapid.

This was monstrously bad.

In desperate panic, she grabbed her phone from the bedside table and dialled the first person she could think of.

Ring…ring…ring…

“Please…Come on answer.”

Ring…ring…ring…

“Please…” the brunette sobbed.

Ring…ri-

“Hello?”

“OH MY ING GOD THANK THE POPE!”

“Unnie what the hell, it’s 3 in the morning this better be good.” An effortlessly sultry (and clearly a little annoyed) voice echoed off of Yongsun’s phone.

“Ahn Hyejin I love you so much. You are my saviour an – “

“Are you seriously interrupting the first solid sleep I’ve had in 3 weeks to profess your love for me? As flattered as I am, I’m hanging up.”

“HYEJIN PLEASE NO!! IT’S AN EMERGENCY!!!”

“Woah, ok! What’s wrong?”

Yongsun hurriedly explained how she had to write and submit a 10-page essay (which counted 40% of her final grade!) for one of her core modules in less than 3 hours with nothing but a blue pen and a computer that refused to switch on. The brunette was surprised she managed to explain the entire situation without breaking down into a sobbing mess.

“Well…you’re in a bit of a predicament.” Hyejin said after some time.

“No .”

“Why don’t you go to the library?” Hyejin offered.

“I highly doubt it would be open at this hour.” Yongsun countered, a little more frantically than Hyejin, “Can I use your laptop?”

“Unnie I live at least half an hour away from you and it’s 3 AM. I know you’re desperate, but it’s way too dangerous for you to travel that far at this hour.”

After hysterically brainstorming possible solutions – with Yongsun being the hysterical one - a plausible one finally resurfaced. However, it wasn’t exactly to Yongsun’s liking.

“Unnie!” Hyejin excitedly exclaimed, relieved to finally have come up with a reasonable solution (and even more relieved at the prospect of returning to her much deserved slumber), “Byulyi unnie lives like a few doors down from you go ask her!”

“Uhh…I mean I don’t want to really disturb her…it’s…quite late.”

“Well you had no problem disturbing me,” Hyejin retorted, “plus, we both know Byulyi unnie would most likely be up coding or doing some nerdy .”

“Hyejin…”Yongsun hesitantly began, “you know that the situation between Byulyi and I isn’t exactly…favourable.”

Yongsun heard an irritated sigh echo off her phone. She knew that she was being petty but the brunette couldn’t find the strength in her to confront Byulyi after the… unfortunate incident that occurred between them.

“Unnie stop with these excuses,” the younger retaliated, “you’ve been avoiding Byul unnie for weeks now! It’s about time you spoke to her.”

“That’s an invalid statement; I’ve been avoiding her since the beginning of time.”

“Unnie, stop being so stubborn. If there was ever an opportunity for you two to sort your differences out, now would be a good time.”

“But Hye-!”

“No buts! I’m hanging up. Love you unnie!”

Yongsun sighed before tossing her phone on her bed in frustration. She glanced at her bedside clock.

“3:13...ugh what ing choice do I have,” the brunette dejectedly muttered before grabbing her polka dot night gown and blue pen whilst running out her dorm room.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This one is a little short. It's more of a prelude. Do drop a comment letting me know what you think!