Final

Isn’t coincidence technically a fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changmin has always thought everything that happens in life is coincidence. Just like how he coincidently saw his caterpillar turned into a beautiful butterfly when he thought the world was over for that poor caterpillar. He knelt on the ground, putting the caterpillar on a piece of newspaper. His knees were scrapped, dirt on his face. He was so content to not cry because a boy wasn’t supposed to cry, not even when his pet died – at least that was what he thought when his caterpillar out of nowhere turned itself to a silky cocoon. He sighed exasperatedly before putting it back into its plastic box. He was closed to dig the ground at the backyard when his mother – who was throwing the garbage – came across him.

“Changmin-ah, what are you doing?” she asked. Changmin turned his face to his mother, his right hand hold a garden shovel. He stood with a slump shoulder, looking sad. “Cathy died,” he replied shortly. His mother chuckled at her innocent son. “Don’t bury her yet. Wait for 2 weeks, you’ll see a miracle.”

He was 6 years old when he learnt that caterpillar would turn into a butterfly, and that was by accident.

It was also a coincidence when he first met Kyuhyun on their 7th grade. That day the weather was bright and the ray of afternoon sun fell slanting on his face that he could barely open his eyes. It’s not that kind of blistering hot, it was nice. Changmin could see the sky was full of cotton-wool clouds. He trotted heavily and reluctantly to the class, not wanting to leave the park. He could see the other students scampered to the main building when the bell rung for the 4th lesson. He huffed, still reluctant.

4th period meant music lesson, in which he really didn’t want to attend because he’s too shy (lazy) to sing in front of the class. He still could remember those nightmares during his primary school whenever he had a music class and the teacher would always ask him to sing. No matter how much he refused the teacher would ‘force’ him to sing anyway. It’s not like he couldn’t sing he just didn’t like the attention his classmates gave to him. It kind of gave him chill bumps and he would shiver. And he didn’t like that feeling one bit.

He put his head on the table, face facing the tall window. He saw birds flying and chirping up in the sky. He wanted to know how was the feeling to be free like that, spreading his wings so high. Ah, it must be nice.

Changmin’s eyes fluttered open when a warm and soft voice ringing into his eardrums, breaking his train of thoughts. It’s like carbonara, caramel macchiato and cheesecake. Carbonara is greasy but you fall for it, macchiato is sweet so did this voice. Changmin felt like when he’s listening to this voice his heart seemed to be tenderly soothed. Changmin peeled off his face from the table and turned his attention to the front class. There, a timid skinny boy standing awkwardly but still could pull off such an amazing voice, captivating the teacher and the other students. Changmin was surprised that this timid boy could cease to amaze him, excite him and enthral him with his charming voice. God bless. It felt like he was looking at a magical soul lacing in a pure gold. Wait, that’s kind of a good rhyme. Lol. Anyway, this boy radiated a magnificence voice, and he sparkled….

Wow!

“Shim Changmin,” Miss Choi called, pulling an endearing smile that would make everyone fall in love with her. But Changmin was too distracted by that skinny boy to fall into his teacher’s charm. Teacher Choi frowned at her favourite student’s lack of reaction so she called him again. “Ah, yes, sorry Miss Choi,” he mumbled, scratching his head. Miss Choi shook her head, showing her dissatisfaction on how Changmin had behaved.

“Anyway, I think I’ve found a good partner for you. I want you to have a duet with him for our upcoming Winter Singing Competition,” Teacher Choi said.

What the… that’s nonsense! Changmin’s eyes widen comically, he plastered a disbelieve expression on his face. “No!”

The timid boy was taken aback by his sudden outburst. And now Changmin felt guilt rushing throughout his system. Hey, it’s not like that. He wanted to say. But Lord, Changmin was just tight-lipped.

“I won’t take no as the answer. You and Kyuhyun will do the collaboration and win the competition and that’s final,” Teacher Choi replied. “Okay let’s move on to the next topic.”

Ah so his name is Kyuhyun, wow, has he always been in this class? Changmin thought. Not that he didn’t pay attention in this class it just for the past 3 month being a 7th grader every time he had a music class Teacher Choi would always asked him to sing in the front and Changmin had always been busy keeping his mind occupied with other stuff so that he could turn blind at how much attention he got from his classmates. So, yeah, he didn’t remember any single soul from this class. Good job Shim Changmin. He patted himself, nodding in between.

Exactly at that moment he felt like someone was looking at him so he turned to that particular person just to see that person flexing the muscle of his apple’s cheeks, the corner of his mouth upturn and his eyes crinkle. It was that skinny boy, Kyuhyun. Changmin thought he should smile back.

That was how he coincidentally met Kyuhyun, at least that’s what he thought but Kyuhyun always argued with him insisting rather it was fate that made them meet.

“Can you please stop with your coincidence theory,” Kyuhyun chides. He picks a fork and cut some portion of the cake before conveying them into his mouth. As soon as he takes a bite he could feel the beautiful gooey texture melting in his mouth. The cake is moist and he likes it.

Changmin rolls his eyes. “It was a coincidence! If you didn’t sing at that time I won’t even notice you.” Kyuhyun brings the fork (with a cake on it) closer to Changmin’s left cheek. Slightly frowning Changmin swats Kyuhyun’s hand away from him with a ‘what the hell’ all over his face.

“Isn’t coincidence technically a fate,” Kyuhyun claims, plastering his animated face. He pushes the chair slightly and walks to the counter to get his caramel macchiato and Changmin’s Iced Americano.

Changmin retreats his arms from the table and lean back into the chair. His black jacket is ed, revealing his white t-shirt inside. He runs his fingers through his brown hair leisurely, resting his eyes outside the café. Tall buildings block the sun, wild mix sounds of car horns on the busy roads, and students walk down the street whistling happily.

The sound of guitar getting tuned catches his attention back to the café with Kyuhyun wooing at the back. Kyuhyun struts to him holding their beverages while his eyes are still on Boa. “Boa noona is so beautiful,” he exclaims. He pulls out the chair as he sits. “Good at dance, good in singing.” Kyuhyun pushes Iced Americano towards Changmin. “y, and has everything,” Kyuhyun adds with a mixture of snorting before sipping his coffee. “But, “ Changmin retorts, “her height is a bit…” He puts his thumb and his index fingers together, making a ‘pinch’ gesture.

“Yah! You’re going to die!” Boa shouts across them, feeling like they’ve disregard her completely. She is sitting on a round chair on the small stage. “I heard you guys.” She clenches her teeth, annoyed. Both Changmin and Kyuhyun muffle a sound of somebody getting choked, holding back their laughter.

“I’m going to perform too next week. I’m so gonna tell Heechul hyung to save the spot for me,” Kyuhyun says. Boa and Kyuhyun are the regular part-time singers, who sing in this café, and the pay-check is quite good.

“Are you going to sing ballad again,” Changmin crosses his arms. Kyuhyun nods.

“Let’s sing together.”

“Ya, ya, ya, stop, stop,” Changmin blocks Kyuhyun’s face with his palm. “No, I’m not gonna sing with you.”

“Ah! Why?!” Kyuhyun glowers at him with a frown all over his face. He takes out his textbook and a pen from his bag.

“You’re always, always singing ballad! I know it’s a nice song and since you also already know that, you should stop singing ballad.”

Not one can stop Kyuhyun and his ballads, not even Choikang Changmin.

“You should try something else like singing rock, or even dancing,” Changmin says, hands flailing. Kyuhyun slips the ear bud into his right ear, twirling his pen in his fingers. Kyuhyun pats Changmin’s arm and wiggle his index finger. “Not in a million years.”

“If you don’t like that, then try cross dressing instead!” He pinches his bridge nose. “Stop doing only ballad,” Changmin says.   

Kyuhyun yawns as he arches his back, stretching both his arms widely. He glances up to Changmin. “Even if you say all this, I still wanna sing ballad.”

“Okay then, if ever you turn out to be a famous singer one day I’m gonna pop up at your concert and yells ‘stop doing ballad!!!!’ until you want to hid under the ground.”

The tingle of the bell snaps both Changmin and Kyuhyun. At the entrance Minho and Jonghyun have a simultaneously ‘what the s’ expression. “Hyung, don’t do that,” Minho says. “You’re gonna embarrass yourself I swear to God,” Jonghyun adds.

They sauntered towards Changmin and Kyuhyun. “Do you need our help to move out your thing to your new house later?” Minho asks.

“Nah, we’re completely okay. I’ll be his big help,” Kyuhyun replies flatly.

“Call us anytime if you need extra man,” Jonghyun says, beaming. Changmin pops a piece of chocolate into his mouth. “It’s okay. Just go study for your entrance college exam,” Changmin replies. He stands up and pats Jonghyun head. “We’re going now. Come on Kyuhyun.”

Minho puts a quizzical expression on his face. “You’re going already? I thought we can hang out.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter