Christmas Day

Of Traditions and Shenanigans

Christmas Day

 
 
 

The apartment was gently glowing with Christmas lights, the air heavy with the scent of pine needles and cookies, and Jungkook woke up smiling, a warm body tucked snuggly against his own. He used the arm already wrapped around Yoongi to pull the elder closer against his chest, nuzzling into his hair. He could still faintly detect the holiday themed peppermint shampoo that Yoongi would never admit to anyone else about using, but that Jungkook had found in his shower the first day of December. (He had unapologetically drained at least a quarter of the bottle himself, over the past month).

Cracking one eye open slightly to look down at the elder, Jungkook thought there was maybe nothing he loved more than waking up with Yoongi in his arms. The little noises he made in his sleep, the way he curled around whatever was within arms reach (like a tiny koala, only grouchier), the comfort of holding him and knowing that he quite possibly loved Jungkook as much as Jungkook loved him - it was bliss.

Jungkook shifted with Yoongi as the latter began to stir. Yoongi probably would have given him for the fond smile that quirked his lips as the elder stretched slightly before rolling over, still just as close as he had been, but now with his head tucked under the younger’s chin. Their legs tangled together effortlessly, and Yoongi’s koala came out, thin arms wrapping around Jungkook.

“Mmmmornin’” Yoongi rumbled into his chest, barely audible. Jungkook planted a kiss on his dark hair, humming.

“Merry Christmas, Hyung.”

Yoongi nodded sleepily against him, eyes still unopened. “It is Christmas, isn’t it.”

Jungkook hummed in confirmation, content to relax in bed for a while longer. They had no plans laid out for the day. No friends to see, no work to do, no obligations to anyone but each other.

“WAIT OH MY GOD IT’S CHRISTMAS.” Yoongi bolted upright, eyes wide and hair an impressive mess. Jungkook stared up at him, surprised and a little terrified and really, really cold (well okay, maybe not cold because the house was actually really warm, but cold relative to the warmth of the blankets that Yoongi had flung off, and that was enough in Jungkook’s book).

“Yeah…” Jungkook trailed off, watching in fascination as Yoongi began wiggling around, grinning and looking suspiciously like one would expect a small child on Christmas morning to look (well, Yoongi was small, and it was Christmas morning, Jungkook reasoned). The younger sat up and leaned forward to drag Yoongi back against himself, chuckling when the elder complied easily and straddled his lap, still wiggling about and grinning.

“What’re you so excited about?” Jungkook asked, nuzzling into Yoongi’s neck and planting a kiss below his ear. “Wait a minute, you didn’t peak at your gift somehow, did you?” Jungkook pulled back slightly to narrow his eyes suspiciously at the elder.

“Nope. But we do have somewhere to be at 2:30, so if you wanna have a lazy morning we should start now,” Yoongi winked at him, and Jungkook raised an eyebrow in response. He knew something had seemed fishy about that excitement.

“Oh? And when do I get to find out what this event is?” Jungkook asked as Yoongi scooted off him and hopped off the bed. Yoongi would whack him if he ever said anything, but the elder looked so damn adorable right now. He was still , but he had jammed his horn-rimmed glasses onto his nose, his hair was still a wreck, and he had slipped on his Pusheen slippers that no one else knew Yoongi even owned (they had little tails on the back that flopped around with every step. Jungkook was quite fond of them himself and had a matching pair waiting for him on his side of the bed).

“Later. For now, I’m making coffee, and then we’re opening gifts because you’re gonna love yours and I refuse to wait till after breakfast. There are no parents present to make me wait, and you can’t either,” Yoongi pointed at him threateningly (as if Jungkook would have allowed that anyway) before turning around to dig around for one of Jungkook’s sweaters to put on.

Jungkook got up, deciding against pants but slipping on an oversized sweater as well. The two wandered out of the room, Jungkook padding around lighting candles and turning on the christmas lights strung up about the apartment for the holidays while Yoongi went to the kitchen to make coffee. It was just as Jungkook was finishing plugging in the lights on the tree and pressing play on their Christmas music playlist that Yoongi came back out, two mugs in hand.

They each grabbed their gifts for each other from under the tree and settled on the couch to open them. Jungkook had been very curious when a box had appeared, as large physical items that don’t weigh much (he may or may not have poked at it a bit when Yoongi wasn’t looking) weren’t the most common thing to receive these days. He was excited to find out what it was.

“Alright. One at a time,” Yoongi murmured, taking a sip from his steaming mug of coffee.

“Open yours first,” Jungkook insisted, shoving the gift bag toward him. It was large, with an image of snowmen frolicking about, and had white tissue paper puffing outward like mounds of snow (Jungkook had come to realize, at some point, that Yoongi had a thing for snowmen, though he wasn’t sure the elder was actually conscious of the predilection himself).

Yoongi raised his eyebrow and set the coffee mug down on the coffee table (a holiday themed coaster waiting for him already), and proceeded to carefully pull the bag into his lap. He poked at the tissue paper for a moment before grabbing a fistful and tossing it in the air. Jungkook laughed at the goofy smile that lit up the elder’s face as it all fell gently around them, and nearly vibrated in his seat in excitement as Yoongi reached into the bag for the actual contents.

He knew the moment the elder realized what was inside, because he gasped and reverently pulled his arm out, large Lush bag in tow. The best part, in Jungkook’s opinion, was that the huge amount of bathbombs awaiting Yoongi in said bag weren’t even the best part of the gift.

“Jeon Jungkook… I knew you loved me,” Yoongi murmured, and Jungkook nearly cooed at the sincerity on his face.

“You think this is great,” Jungkook chuckled, “there’s another part of the gift that you missed.” He pointed back to the bag, and Yoongi’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion. The elder stuck his face back in the bag and fished around the remaining tissue paper until he found the envelope still tucked inside. Yoongi stared at it, confused, before tearing it open and nearly dropping it in surprise.

“Oh my god. You didn’t,” he said, looking at Jungkook with wide eyes. Jungkook grinned, pleased.

“Oh but I did. Babe, we’re going to New York. Those are the plane tickets, but the hotels are also already booked, I already got us tickets to Hamilton when those went on sale, and I already talked to the company about your time off for that week. It’s all set.”

Jungkook was admittedly not all that surprised when Yoongi jumped forward to tackle him with affection. He knew Yoongi would never take time off unless he was forced, so he had started planning this long in advance, and made sure there would be no obstacles left untaken care of.

He giggled as he shoved Yoongi off, the elder still looking a bit dazed but extremely pleased. “Alright, my turn. Hand it over,” Jungkook said cheekily, holding his hands out. He was surprised when Yoongi hesitated, looking a bit uncertain, but the elder handed him the box nonetheless.

“It’s, uhm. It’s not as big as yours was. But, I hope you love it,” Yoongi muttered, looking down. Jungkook’s heart swelled at the sight, and he tore into the wrapping paper (snowmen, he noted), yanking it free in one clean ( satisfying ) swipe. If it was from Yoongi, he was guaranteed to love it (and Jungkook wasn’t just being a sappy . Yoongi always gave perfect gifts. It was actually sort of frustrating).

The box within was plain white. It looked almost like the sort of thing clothing might be gifted in, but larger. He would have wondered at that, but he was far too busy pulling the darn thing open. What he found inside was… a curious sight. It seemed like some sort of clothing, but there was too much fabric, and that the color was… yellow.

Jungkook scooped the entire thing out of the box, shaking it out to see it in its entirety. His eyes widened to approximately the size of the moon when he realized what, exactly, he was holding. He turned his head to gape at Yoongi. The elder had a wry smile playing across his lips, and he held up a solemn finger. Jungkook waited as the elder turned and reached under the couch for another box that Jungkook had no idea had been hiding there. Yoongi opened it and pulled out another bundle of fabric, this one mostly black, before also shaking it out to show him.

Jungkook stared, unable to hold back the grin slowly taking over his face as he processed the fact that Yoongi had bought them both onesies - Pikachu for Jungkook and Kumamon for Yoongi.

“Unbelievable,” Jungkook finally breathed, laughter beginning to bubble from his chest. Yoongi grinned back at him, a blush creeping up his neck, before jumping up and beginning to strip right there.

“Come on, put it on,” Yoongi insisted, already sticking his foot into one side and trying to wiggle his way into the rest.

Jungkook rose, following suit. It was soft and comfortable and loose enough to not be at all awkward (he had seen some dudes wear footie pajamas that fit too tightly, and he refused to ever be that person).

“Do these have anything to do with our plans later?” Jungkook suddenly asked, remembering the elder’s comment from earlier.

“Absolutely,” Yoongi nodded, still in the process of buttoning up the baggy garment. “We’re going to the movies in these bad boys. You wanted to watch Sing, right? That’s the plan. And then we can either go get lunch while we’re out, or we can come back here and make something.”

Jungkook was surprised at his own lack of surprise that Yoongi wanted to go out like this. It made sense, though, honestly, and Jungkook couldn’t say he minded the plan. He was pretty excited, actually.

“Oh and hey, these even have pockets,” Yoongi pointed out, shuffling toward the younger. His Kumamon hood had fallen over his eyes a little, and the pajamas engulfed his small frame. Adorable .

“Sweet,” Jungkook replied, sticking his hands into them experimentally, but pulling them right back out a moment later, confused. There had been something cold and solid in his pocket, and he stared at the object in his hand without really understanding what he was looking at. Well. He knew what it was, he just didn’t really understand why.

It was a key. With a little bow. And Yoongi was turning a fascinating shade of blotchy red.

“Hyung… is this a key to the apartment? I already have one.” Jungkook looked at Yoongi, unsure of where this was going. He had had a key to the apartment for months . He practically lived here.

“Well yeah, but… this can be your spare key or something. I want you to have a spare. I want you to leave your things here and need to be able to come and go, and leave messes and steal my shampoo, and… uhm, what I’m trying to say is… Move in with me,” Yoongi stuttered out, blushing. “Move in with me. You practically live here anyway, and I want to wake up next to you every day, and make breakfast together, and just… move in with me.”

Jungkook froze for a moment, simultaneously surprised, endeared, and uncertain. But mostly… mostly he wanted to say yes.

“Yes! Yes. Okay,” he said quickly, eyes wide, as if trying to get it out there before either of them could change their minds. Not that they would. In reality, they probably could have done this long before now, and Jungkook had even thought about it, but the topic had somehow just never been brought up.

“Okay,” Yoongi breathed in response. Both of them stood very still for a moment.

Jungkook never would be sure who started laughing first, but they both ended up on the couch, relieved and happy and content to laugh in each other’s arms for a while.

It was Christmas, and they had no other obligations but to each other, and Jungkook thought he could maybe see himself here, with Yoongi, for the rest of his life.

He was content to find out.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HOLIDAYS :D In June.........

/).(\ I'm so horribly sorry. This took way too long. But! It's done now ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ And I hope you enjoyed it.
Feel free to come scream at/with me on tumblr, where I'm a bit more active these days.

And, as always, thank you for reading! If you liked this, feel free to subscribe, comment, kudos, or whatever you're comfortable with! I always love to hear back from you guys ~<3