001 - Part One: New Friend, New Enemy, New Family (a.k.a Housemates, Bullies and Demons)

House of Cards

As soon as the train stopped, students started to rush outside. Everyone tried to be the first one to arrive at the small office next to the entrance gate of the academy's campus. I sigh and calmly follow the excited students. A slightly taller boy with dark brown hair bumbs into me, but doesn't stop to apologise. I shake my head. This is going to be great.

The living system of the academy was pretty dope. Each student had their own apartment that they were supposed to share with their demons once they trapped them. There where five apartments in a house and the houses were standing in long lines next to each other. They were all completely identical. My apartment was in the last row of houses, right in front of a quite huge forest. Good place to train.

The main door of the house was opened and I could see a girl in the corridor who was trying to push her suitcase into her apartment. I rushed towards her and helped pushing it. It was really heavy. Did she pack stones or what?

We managed to push it inside her apartment and towards the master bedroom. The apartments consisted of one master bedroom for the Card Master, one about three times as big bedroom with seven single beds for the potentional seven demons, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. The girl exhaled loudly when we reached her master bedroom and turned towards me.

"Thank you so much! I thought I wouldn't be able to move it even an inch," she smiles garetfully and I simply nod. "My name's Yongsun Kim, nice to meet you!"

I couldn't help but grin at her cheerful introduction and that bright smile. "I'm Jangmi Kim, nice to meet you too."

She asks me if I want to join her to explore the campus, but I decline politely and tell her I'd rather unpack first. She doesn't seem to mind and bids me goodbye with a bright smile. "Later," she chuckles.

I look after her as she runs in the direction of the academy's main building. Someone's incredibly happy to be here. I can't blame her. I am glad too. Finally, I am away from home and can do everything I want. My apartment is on the top floor of the house, but luckily my suitcase isn't that heavy. I start unpacking the few things I brought here. There is a uniform we need to wear at the academy and as far as I heard our free time off campus is pretty limited so I didn't see the point in taking my whole shelf with me. After all my stuff was out of the suitcase I place the latter under the master bed and go to take a shower before I chang into the uniform that lay on the small table in the living room. It was a pretty uniform. Black with olive green and dark red stripes that created little squares. A card symbol was sewed onto the jacket and it seemed to shimmer golden in the sunlight. I decide to wear my favorite black boots to the uniform.

I start roaming around the apartment and I find a thick black book in a shelf in the living room.

"How to Trap a Demon. A book by Artur McSullivan. Special Edition for Students of the CARD Academy," I read out loud. So this is how we're supposed to do it. The lady in the office who handed each student their apartment keys after registrating them told everyone that we had to trap at least one demon until the end of the first month. If we wouldn't manage to do so, we'd have to leave the academy and could forget to become a Card Master.

I sit down on the rather long couch and open the first page.

Chapter One: The Trapping

The ability of trapping a demon is one every human possesses. However, not every human has the power to keep the demon bound to it's card. One needs to be able to control the demon in order to keep it bound to it's card. If the bound between card and demon can't be kept, the demon is able to flee. It always helps to try and connect with the demon. That way the demon might want to stay from free will.

It was early discovered that demon's don't care who they fight, be it humans or their own kind.

I recall how my best friend in junior high used to say it was weird that some demons willingly stayed with a human and destroyed other demons. I never thought about it, but it was actually a pretty stupid comment. Look at us, we constantly start wars over stupid things too. So how can we say that the demons were weird. If they are, we are just as weird. I shake my head, smiling slightly at the memory and continue reading.

The easiest way to obtain a card is to inherit it from a family member. The demon is usually willing to continue serving for the child of it's old master. Of course, there are exceptions.

You can also summon a demon and immediately trap them as soon as they materialise without giving them a chance to fight or run away.

However, as not all students are able to cast summoning spells from day one, teachers have left cards with trapped demons all over campus. The cards are enchanted with a restriction spell, keeping the demon from escaping the card while nobody watches it. The spell will immediately break once the card is picked up by a student.

The last possible way to trap a demon is to win against it in a fight. Note that you need to make a deal first. Most demons are playful creatures, despite their destructive and dangerous ways. However, all demons keep their word and never break their promises. Reasons for that are still undiscovered.

I scoff and shake my head. Maybe they're just decent enough - unlike some humans - to actually keep their promise.

So, before fighting a demon, make a deal with them. Make them promise to let themselves be trapped if they loose. Promise them something simple in return, for when you loose (e.g. a blood ritual to reinforce their spiritual powers).

ATTENTION: You need to keep you word, no matter what you've promised. Demons become very dangerous and angry when someone breaks the deal.

These are the four ways to trap a demon. There may be others that are yet undiscovered. If you happen to trap a demon in a different way, be sure to tell your teachers.

Chapter Two: Types of Demons

I close the book and place it on the living room table. I look over towards the clock that hangs over the door that leads to the kitchen and notice that it's almost time for dinner. I head towards the kitchen and check if there's anything eatable. To my surprise the shelves are full of instant food and cooking utensils. The fridge is full of meat, fish, vegetables and fruits. That's amazing.

Feeling pretty sleepy from the long light and train ride, after all I come here from South Korea, I decide to eat ramen today.

After eating and getting ready to sleep, I fall onto my bed. I suddenly felt so tired.

Just before I drift off to dreamland I think how stupid it was to wear the uniform when I was just sitting in my apartment.


First chapter - finished. I want to let things start calmly and have a chance to explain the world she lives in a bit. I hope you can bear to wait for the boys for two or three chapter.

:)