Discovery

Confessions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Staring. Staring. Staring. That’s all Jeongyeon’s been doing and thinks she can do for almost more than a month now. Or atleast that’s what she thinks. But when stacked with such seemingly impossible odds, what else can she do?

 

Everyone likes Mina Myoui. Seriously, how can one not? She embodies purity, is smart, and matched with a kind heart. It’s been almost two months since she came into Jeongyeon’s high school – the impossibly beautiful Japanese girl – almost been two months since she has started to tremble the hearts of girls and boys that went to the J.Y. High School of Art.

 

At first, Jeongyeon was not affected, although she did confirm that the new girl is indeed pretty, along with the entirety of the rest of her class. But it was when she witnessed Mina standing up for a bullied freshman when she did not have the courage to – only did her feelings also change for the girl.

 

What’s even more incredibly bothering, Jeongyeon thought again and again, was why she feels such sudden lack of confidence when it comes to approaching Mina. She’s not a loner, has a respectable reputation as an intelligent student and a member of the varsity soccer team, and has also been the target of several confessions, but yet she can only crumble at the thought of the possibility of a confession. What if she doesn’t like short hair? Or maybe I’m too tall. Maybe she only dates Japanese guys. The petty excuses stemming from a suddenly newly discovered array of insecurities start drowning Jeongyeon’s thoughts, drowning even more her self-esteem and confidence, which is definitely a new concept to her. Funny how insecurities always rear its ugly head at moments when confidence was needed most, i.e. when liking a girl everyone also seems to like.

 

So, for now, Jeongyeon stares. Stares at Mina smile with her gums showing. Stares at Mina chewing as she eats lunch with her friends. Stares at Mina as she crunches her eyebrows when focusing on a problem. Stares at Mina.. staring back at her?

 

“Hey, stupid! I asked you a question,” Nayeon suddenly exclaims, slightly hitting Jeongyeon on the shoulder. “What?” Jeongyeon answers, flustered. Slightly confused if she really saw Mina also looking at her, but from her current peripheral view, Mina was on the other side of the classroom opposite from her, having an animated conversation with Sana.

 

“What’s up with you lately, always in a daze.. but I asked you if you were going to see the game on Saturday,” Nayeon continues, flashing her smile that always reminded her of a bunny. “Uh, yeah. I’ll go if you guys go,” Jeongyeon replies, in the back of her mind a hope that Mina will also be there.

 

 

--

 

 

Mina is tired. Tired of trembling hands, hesitant voices – tired of confessions. Not because she does not feel overwhelming gratitude for being the subject of one’s affection, but tired because of the rejection and feelings of sadness that accompanies her always polite replies to them. She always hated the reactions, the hurried bowing of the head, the hiding of teary eyes, the quick thank you and goodbyes. But, most of all, the loss for a potential of friendship, mostly due to the uncanny awkwardness that always follows after a rejected confession.

 

So, Mina wished. Wished long and hard, for people to stop confessing. For people to stop liking her in that way. For her to be able to meet new people, and get to know them, and be able to develop meaningful friendships with them. But as cruel fate would have it, Mina was about to eat her own words when the dreaded day came, when she realized she actually likes someone.

 

Maybe this was karma. Or a punishment for bad deeds from a past life. Mina can’t help but laugh wryly to herself. Of course, the girl that has caught her attention seemed to be the only one to not have been caught dazed by Mina’s presence. (Or this maybe the ignorance and stupidity of two people that like each other but are too dumb to realize, thinks a pensive Minatozaki Sana observing Mina and Jeongyeon daydreaming, most likely about each other.)

 

Jeongyeon was different. Different in that she was one of the few that treated her normally, not as someone always needing help (Mina, let me carry this for you- Mina, let me open the door for you- ), nor as someone always in need of endless affection and attention (Mina, you’re so pretty today- Mina, your hair is gorgeous). It was a friendly relationship, Mina would like to think, although sometimes seemingly too professional. But she liked that Jeongyeon seemed authentic, genuine to her, not hiding behind feelings of wanting a return of affection, of wanting to be with someone like Mina.

 

Jeongyeon was attractive, in her own boyish nature, but that’s not what drew Mina to her. It was her keen sense of leadership and dependability. Everyone looked for Jeongyeon when in need of help, when something was needed to be done and everyone else seemed busy. And Jeongyeon seemed to never complain about it, always doing, with enthusiasm and always, a smile. That’s how they met, actually. The class president, Tzuyu, was too busy with her president tasks, that unhesitatingly she says, “Jeongyeon! I’m glad you’re here. Can you give Mina a tour of the school?” Quickly, without quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter