A "babysitter's" responsibility

Where We Belong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

06/17/1999

This is so awkward.
Of all the people who babysitted me (yes, I used the word babysitted), this is the most awkward one I've ever been with.

"Kiiro*."

I looked up as I was eating(?) the kimchi jjigae he made. Though I'm doubtful since I knew about the story thanks to Jiyong. Also really, I'm still scared about Jaejin's actual cooking skills.

"You should eat soon, or it'll be cold."

He casually said as he eats only a bowl of ramyeon instead of an actual meal. I wonder why he's not cooking for himself.

Not wanting to be rude, I ate the food he made. For real this time, of course.

I took a sip of the hot soup and found it to be really surprisingly good. Not wanting to hesitate anymore, I ate normally as usual.

Afterwards, I placed my empty bowl and dishes onto the sink. I left the bowl at the side, drenched in soap water for awhile since it was oily. I continued on cleaning up the remaining dishes and placed it on the side, while I got the dry washcloth nearby.

While drying, I saw Jaejin about to put his dishes onto the sink but had to place it on the side and got the bowl already for him to clean.

I immediately grabbed him by the arm and gestured him to stop, but he was still about to do it.

"Huh, wait. It needs to be washed already."

I grabbed my notepad and my pen in my jacket's pocket, but I got it to fast and the notepad fell into the bowl with soap water!

"Oh no, I didn't mean to. Oh god, I'm sorry." Jaejin, in a panic, had to find a paper in the kitchen but there was nothing.

He looked around for an idea since I needed to say something, then he remembered something in his pocket. He took out his cellphone and gave it to me.

Since it was an old phone and it was in keypad, I don't know how to start this again. The last time I had this was back before smartphones were starting to become popular and my parents gave me one.

I opened the Notes option in the phone, and typed in carefully in the keypad what I wanted to say.

"I wasn't done drenching the bowl! You should have left it there."

"Why not? I needed a space as well to put my dishes." Jaejin looked confused, however his expressions changed immediately. "Heyyyyyy, this is the first time I see you looking angry. The members never told me yet that you got angry at them." He said in a teasing manner and poke my nose with soap bubbles.

I typed again in a hurry.

"Don't treat me like kid."

I gave him his phone back and continued wiping off the dishes. I got the bowl again and grabbed the soaked notepad. I sighed in regret before throwing it away to the trash can. I added dishwashing soap and a small amount of water in the bowl again and left it at the side. I placed the dishes at the cupboard carefully, as it was a bit high up. Oh how I wish Jiyong is here right now.

Jaejin went near me but he was a bit near to me when grabbed the wiped dry dishes in front me and placed it at the cupboard above.

I felt a bit uncomfortable so I had to push him immediately. But little did I know, my mouth produced a yelping sound when I got timid.

Then, it came into my realization that I can produce sound again, starting from sigh I did, and the yelp. However, Jaejin didn't seemed to notice, as he uncharacteristically made random sounds while he was doing menial tasks.

Since I had to wait for awhile for soap water to get rid of the grease, I went to the living room again to watch TV for awhile.

I grabbed the remote to change it to a news-centric channel. Usually I would watch music-centric channels (or animation-centric ones) but I needed to watch the news for the current events happening in this era, or I might get asked about it. Since I didn't remember the news or events during the late spring of 1999.

While watching, they showed a segment of a car accident that recently happened today. However for some reason, I don't know why I feel uncomfortable.

A fatal car-crash happened around 18:15 earlier tonight in a highway coming from Incheon to Seoul, leaving one injured.

The driver lost control of its vehicle due to bad weather conditions, and car infront of it swerved without any caution.

The police identified the victim is a woman in her early twenties.

The victim is currently in the ICU, at the nearby hospital, at a critical state. The doctors are doing their best to keep the victim alive, as the accident caused her lungs to be impaled by a metallic object.

While I watching the news, they showed the victim's wrec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter