Forever You and Me

Night Sky Feathers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dragons are the most precious beings in this world.
They're the gods and kings who watch over the lands and keep everything in balance while humans love and worship them.
Their existence stands for good luck, peace, and health.
Hurting them or putting them in danger would be the worst sin.



"Hyuuung, play with me!"
A storm of radiant purple blue feathers swirled through jimin's wooden room, tickled his skin and almost knocked over the mirror in front of him.
A scenario like this is nothing new. Not after living with the boy who had randomly decided to be his best friend when they were barely older than toddlers. Jimin is twenty years old now, the dragon eighteen.

"Jungkook. Stop."
Jimin commands, voice firm while he holds on to his most important belongings and look at that, the storm fades away and reveals a feather coated, night colored dragon instead.
Curiosity sparkles in his beautiful silver eyes and he tilts his head, waiting for his playmate to entertain him.
He's a beautiful creature, jimin gives him that much, but his temper is definitely hard to handle sometimes.

"Human form and sit."
Once again the dragon follows suit right away and covers himself with his wings before they explode in a last feathery storm and reveal a boy who must be around jimin's age.
He's a little taller, though, and his shiny black hair shimmers with purple reflections whenever light hits him.

"Play with me!" The dragon boy demands again after sitting down on the ground, legs crossed and eyes big in excitement, but jimin isn't one to be pushed around.
"We can't. I have to practice the dragon dance for the ceremony tomorrow. You of all people should know this."

The dragon ceremony is held only once in a hundred years and it's kind of like... a farewell party you could say.
Only the royal dragons stay on earth while all the other clans and tribes fly home to the dragon realm, a kingdom in the sky.
They stay there for three years to recharge their strength, their magic and to mate, before all of them finally come back.
It's sad to see them go but those three years are very important for a dragon's health, which is why their leave is celebrated so much.

To jimin, of course, it's a great honor that he's allowed to dance at an event like this since it only happens once per human generation.
Jungkook isn't happy about it at all. He's still very young and it'll be the first time he sees the place his parents call home.

"I don't wanna go." He huffs for the millionth time today and jimin rolls his eyes before he gives up on dancing and slumps to the ground instead, brown eyes piercing into jungkook's silver ones as he lectures him.

"It's not about wanting to go or not. You're a dragon, so you have to. Instead of complaining about it, you should be happy that you get to see such a beautiful place."
Jungkook frowns and mumbles, "How do you know that it's beautiful?" And the simple question sparks pure bliss in jimin, eyes sparkling while he explains, "Because dragons are beautiful, obviously!"

But even if it's your home... even if it's a pretty place, I wish you could just stay with me.

Jimin stops and roughly shakes his head. Why would he think something like that?
Jungkook needs to go, there's no way around it and jimin knows it, was always aware of it.
The young dragon is his friend and this is about his health and future.
Why would he hold the younger back?

There's a pause before jungkook crawls closer to the human, noses almost brushing, and he asks, "Do you think I'm beautiful in my dragon form?"

Jimin swallows slowly, wets his lips with his tongue before he averts his eyes and backs off, voice quiet as he mumbles, "You look okay, I guess."

It's a lie.

Jungkook is more than gorgeous with his black and blue and purple feathers, wings sparkling as if he captured the stars inside, and mesmerizing silver eyes glow like the bright full moon above their heads.

Night Sky dragon is what they call him and it fits him perfectly.



Every young female would be more than thrilled to become his mate, his partner for life. After all, he's not just handsome but also playfully cute and, believe it or not, pretty smart if he really wants to.
Jungkook should know this... he should be confident. So... why does he look so incredibly hurt?

Jimin whispers a quiet, "Jungkookie..." and the younger looks up, hope sparking in his eyes.
"Yeah?"
"You..." He takes a deep breath. "You better clean my room before you leave. I don't wanna sleep in a freaking birds nest."

___

The festival begins as soon as the sun sets. There are lights everywhere, paper dragons floating through the air and everyone is excited.
For most of them it's the first time to be so close to these holy creatures and especially the younger humans are amazed by their beauty.

Jimin arrives after he finally managed to put on his dance outfit. It's a special one, only for today, and he picked the colors himself.
Black, blue and purple with silver glitter.
It's decorated with bells on his hands and ankles and ribbons fall from his wrists to the ground.

He looks around, tries to find jungkook in the crowd until he finally spots the purple glow of his hair.
He's surrounded by female dragons, as always, and a weird feeling drills through jimin's chest.

They can go with him.

After all these years of having the dragon to himself, after getting so used to the boy who follows him everywhere, jungkook will leave with them and when he comes home he will probably have a mate, maybe even children.

He never thought about it like that and somehow it hurts.
He should be happy, right?
As a friend, he should be happy for him and he should consider himself lucky. So many people would die to befriend one of these celestial beings.
There's really nothing to be sad about.

A hand touches his shoulder and jimin gasps before turning around.
It's namjoon, the village leader, and he smiles after noticing jimin's puzzled expression. "Nervous?"
Jimin sighs but forces himself to smile.
Be happy, he reminds himself again.
"Not really. I practiced a lot."
A knowing laugh escapes namjoon's lips and he pats the younger's back.
"Did jungkook actually allow you to practice?" He huffed and jimin shrugged.
"He can be obedient when you know what buttons to push."
"Oh my... I think you're the only one who dares to push anything when it's about him. You truly are a dragon tamer."

Jimin laughs, flushed cheeks hidden in darkness and once again his eyes wander to jungkook, just to be greeted by the silver mirrors that are his eyes. Their gazes meet and time stops, sounds fade away until only their combined heartbeats echo through cold winter air.

"It's time." Namjoon notes quietly.
It drags jimin back into reality, shows him once again the painful truth.
Three years is a long time.
The village leader takes his hand, leads him to the center of the small hill and the group of dragons in human form follows.
Jimin breathes, one, two, three. Then his eyes flutter shut.
Doing a good job is the only thing he can do for his best friend.
A sweet, melancholic melody starts to play and everyone around him falls silent.

As always jimin's performance is flawless, every move flows like the wind, the waves and the bells attached to his body seem to play their own little song while he spins and turns and the people around him whisper.
He should've opened his eyes by now, should look at the crowd and the leaving gods around him, but he can't.

It wasn't planned and it's probably a stupid thing to do since the farewell of the dragons is said to be the most amazing sight you will ever witness in your life.
But he can't watch him go.
His body keeps moving, perfect and accurate like a machine and he hears the dragons sing, wings fluttering and he knows it will be over soon.

A last slow pirouette ends the song and jimin sinks to the ground, falls on his knees, and bows his head.
By now... he should be gone, right?

"Jiminie hyung."
What...?
Jimin feels his body tremble until warm hands are on his cheeks, hot breath ghosts over his face, it feels soft and gentle, like silk on his skin.
And it's his voice.
"Jimin look at me. I want you to watch me."

It's definitely jungkook, but why is he still here? Why is his voice shaking so much and why does it sound like he's choking on his own words?
Jimin hesitates but then, finally, he opens his eyes and stares at the two small moons in front of him. They're swimming in oceans made of tears and it's sad, so sad that jimin can't help but cry as well.
"What are you doing?" He whimpers, hands finding jungkook's which are still gentle on his heated face.
"Just leave already, stupid dragon brat."

But jungkook just laughs with tears still flowing down his cheeks like never ending waterfalls and he says, "I'll be back soon, hyung." Which makes jimin shake his head in utter confusion because what the hell is going on?
"What are you saying? I can't wait to be alone. There won't be a dragon who creeps into my bed at night and I don't have to clean whenever you decide to change your ing form."
They shouldn't do this. Not now and not in front of everyone else.
But jungkook leans in, noses touch and he whispers, "Don't be so sad. My heart hurts when you're sad, jiminie."

But that's not possible, only mates feel each other's pain and they aren't mates.
They can't be.

Why?
Why did you look at me, a normal human, when there's so much beauty around you?
Why did you randomly start following me around, even though I never treated you the way you deserve?

Why did you make me fall for you even though I can't stay by your side?

But he can't ask him. There's simply no time left.
"Don't forget me, okay?" Is the last thing jungkook says before his wings grow and he changes his form, dragon nose still pressed against jimin's until he moves his wings, starts floating and melts into the sparkling night sky.
He's gone and jimin can't breathe, feels like a part of him was forcefully removed and he just can't quite understand what happens to him.

"Jimin... are you okay?" Namjoon asks carefully after walking the younger back to the house he had shared with jungkook for the past few years.
The small building was placed in between the human village and the forest where usually the dragons live.
It was a perfect place for the two of them but now... it feels lonely.

"I-I'm okay." He mumbles absentmindedly and he's about to stumble through the door when namjoon stops him, a hand pressed on jimin's forehead.
"You've got a fever." He states with a sigh. "Will you be okay?"
"I'm not a child, joonie hyung. I'm fine."



But he's not fine.
Jimin can't sleep, can't breathe and his body is burning up, vision blurry.
The boy is sick, really sick, and he whimpers and thrashes and whispers quietly, "Jungkookie..." again and again, like a mantra, a spell. "Come home. Please come back to me."
And then, suddenly, something cold brushes his nose, his cheeks, and forehead. It feels so good, soothes the burning heat and jimin sighs in content, rolls his body into a small ball and takes a deep breath before sleep embraces him.



The next morning welcomes him with warm sunlight, a fluffy feeling in his chest, and feathers tickling his nose.
...Feathers?
He squirms, eyes fluttering open and really, there are feathers scattered all over the bed. So that's why he slept so well, it felt incredibly soft and comfortable and protective wings are carefully draped over him, keeping him warm and safe.

But wait... jungkook shouldn't be here.

He slides his hands through the plumy mess, heart racing when he turns around and falls into the younger's moon colored puppy eyes.
The dragon looks at him, stares into his soul and he smiles softly when jimin stays silent, frozen in place.

"You're feeling better." He hums with satisfaction and jimin nods, hand reaching out to ruffle through jungkook's hair before he stops once again and asks with fear clawing into his heart, "Why did you come back? You shouldn't be here, this is horrible."

The younger boy tilts his head and smirks proudly.
"I managed to sneak away when we took a break."
But why?! Why the hell would he do something like that?

"You called for me, didn't you?"

The question hits jimin hard because yes... he did call out for the dragon, but he never thought it would reach him.
Jungkook goes on, "My head and my chest started hurting so badly... then I heard your voice and panicked. I thought something happened to you, so I came back, found you with a high fever and..."
He stops and flaps his wings, showers jimin with more feathers and he laughs when the shorter boy scrunches his nose and sneezes quietly.
"You... used your feathers to heal me?"
Jungkook nods and jimin groans.
"That's bad. You have to go back, jungkook. Go back, right now!"
He gets on his feet, drags the younger from his bed and towards the door but the boy fights back and transforms into his dragon self, making it impossible for jimin to pull him any further.
"I don't wanna go and you don't want me to, either! Why can't I just stay?!"
"Because it's impossible and against the law!"
"Who cares about the goddamn law!"
"I care! Dragons die when they don't go home to recharge, jungkook. You're gonna ing DIE!"

Both of them need a moment to calm down and catch their breath until jungkook tries to bring a last argument and mumbles, "I feel totally fine, though. I probably don't even need to recharge yet."

Jimin wants to believe him, he really does. But the truth is, jungkook's face looks pale.
Even the colors of his dragon seem to be weirdly washed out, eyes gray instead of silver.
It must be because he used his last energy to heal jimin.
"Please... just go. I'm sorry for calling you back, I didn't mean to." Jimin pleads but there's another problem.
"Uhm...even if I wanted to... I don't know how to get there, jiminie hyung. I mean, I came back after they showed me only half of the way."

 

_____________

 

"So... he came back because he was worried and now you wanna find a way to get jungkook to the dragon realm?" Namjoon asks while he looks at the youngest who sleeps peacefully in jimin's lap.
"I-It's my fault... he's dying because of me..."
It hurts namjoon's heart to see jimin like that, tired and terrified.
The village leader sighs, hand patting jimin's back to keep him from crying and he finally admits, "No, it's not your fault, jimin. There's something I should've talked to you about... but I wasn't sure how to approach the topic."
What followed was a long story and jimin had trouble processing the new information, but it finally made sense.
"Your parents died when you were 8 years old. What you don't know is... that only your father was human while your mother was a dragon."
Jimin shook his head in disbelief. This can't be true.
"No way, I don't look like a dragon at all." He mumbles in helpless confusion and namjoon smiles.
"You do, actually. You inherited your mother's silver hair, her lips. The way you move is also very typical for a dragon your age, smooth and elegant."
The elder stopped and took a deep breath before he went back to the main point.

"Anyway. You probably don't remember how your parents died and to be honest, I want it to stay that way.
Back then... you were so broken, you wouldn't eat or talk or go outside at all and we didn't know what to do. Your parents always thought you're a full human, everyone did. You never turned into a dragon or showed any signs of being something different than a normal human child, so my father took you in.
That was until the whole village went crazy because a baby dragon circled around our house and refused to leave. He just kept staring at your window."

It was the first time that jimin laughed that day. He remembers vaguely how annoyed he was by the noisy small feather ball and how jungkook would bump his head against jimin's window until he opened up and let him inside.

"Yeah, I remember. The brat could barely fly but climbed up the house to get to my window and he brought all those weird sparkly stones to cheer me up."

Namjoon nods.
"Right. But dragons don't come into the village without reason, jimin. The stones weren't stones either, he brought you gems. Do you know what this means?"
Jimin paused to think about it before he s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter