The queen starts to train

The Queen and I (Descendants of the Sun)

Chapter 3

Mo-Yeon hears the curtains being opened and footsteps fill the room. She groans and pulls the sheets to cover her head. "I'm a vampire! You're killing your queen!"

"Rise and shine, Doctor Kang. The weather is nice and your schedule is quite free. Why don't we take a walk?"

Mo-Yeon expected to hear Min-Ji desperately cooing her out of sleep but instead, she hears a voice of a man. Shi-Jin sits on her dresser chair, his left leg crossed over his right. He picks up the cup of coffee he put down at the dresser and watches Mo-Yeon struggling to stay asleep. "It's almost nine. The whole kingdom is awake, but you."

"You sound just like Myeong-Joo. I hate both of you. Bring me Min-Ji!" Mo-Yeon pulls the sheets from her face and sits up. Shi-Jin watches her as she tries to rub the sleepiness from her eyes. Mo-Yeon then realizes that Shi-Jin has been staring at her in her night gown, with her hair disheveled from sleep, and a bit of a drool still hanging at the corner of her m0uth. She blushes and quickly pulls the covers to her nose. "Get out!"

Shi-Jin laughs and stands up, bringing his cup of coffee with him. Min-Ji emerges from the bathroom, bowing repeatedly to Mo-Yeon in apology. "I'm sorry, your highness, but Commander Kim has explicitly instructed me to follow Captain Yoo's orders—and he's been waiting for you to wake up since six in the morning, too!"

"Six?!" Mo-Yeon looks incredulously at Shi-Jin. "Who in their right mind wakes up earlier than ten!"

Shi-Jin shakes his head in disbelief and heads towards the door. He calls out to Mo-Yeon, his back turned to her. "I'll be waiting for you at the dining hall, Doctor Kang."

"I can't believe him!" Mo-Yeon cries in frustration and makes her way to the bathroom. Min-Ji follows her with her towel and bath robe. "Can you believe him, walking in so casually inside a woman's bedroom like that? And not just any woman—her queen! Min-Ji, if you keep letting him wake me up like that I'm going to be in a very foul mood all day."

Mo-Yeon then proceeds with her morning ritual: bath, brush, clothes. For today, she pulls out a casual pink chiffon dress with rose patterns, clasped cuffs, and pleated skirt that goes to her knees. She then wears a pair of pointed-toe pumps.

Mo-Yeon continues to whine about Myeong-Joo not coming in to wake her up anymore and her new advisor not being respectful enough as she and Min-Ji head towards the dining hall for breakfast. As Mo-Yeon arrives at the dining hall, she finds Shi-Jin already seated across her seat, browsing through today's paper. Shi-Jin hears her come in and looks up from the paper, a bright smile on his face. "Ah, good morning, Doctor Kang."

"Morning," Mo-Yeon responds in a flat tone. She takes the seat at the end of the table and puts the folded napkin on her lap. A woman wearing a chef's outfit approaches her and lays a bowl of soup on her plate.

"Good morning, Ye-Hwa. This looks good, as always." Mo-Yeon beams at her chef.

"Today is cream of mushroom soup with truffle. I hope you enjoy it, Mo-Yeon." Ye-Hwa says proudly.

A lot of the servants at the castle call Mo-Yeon by her name since all of them grew together inside the castle walls. Also, to Mo-Yeon's insistence, some of the officers and servants closest to her do away with the honorifics if they are not in front of the public or a meeting. Min-Ji, however, refuses to call Mo-Yeon by her name no matter how much she asks her to. Min-Ji sits beside Mo-Yeon and unfolds the napkin on her lap.

Mo-Yeon starts on her soup as Shi-Jin puts down the paper and folds it on the chair beside him. He picks up his cup of coffee and stares at Mo-Yeon. "You're pretty laid back for a queen; you're lucky. A lot of kings and queens I've worked with all have their hands full even though they have a prime minster and a president."

"As you may have noticed, Urk is a small kingdom, Captain Yoo Shi-Jin. And very peaceful, too. My advisors and Myeong-Joo take care of most of the work. That's why I don't understand why I need you," Mo-Yeon replies, not looking up from her soup. She then beckons for a servant to take her soup and it was replaced with toast, eggs, and salmon.

Shi-Jin shrugs. "Myeong-Joo was the one who called me back. I would have continued creating and maintaining international relations on your behalf if she did not ask me to return." He puts down the cup, now empty. "Ah, and I think she's quite tired of babysitting you, if I heard her correctly."

Mo-Yeon ignores Shi-Jin and turns to Min-Ji. "I think sometimes people forget here that I'm their queen, don't you think, Min-Ji?"

Min-Ji shakes her head vigorously, too full with eggs and toast to make a decent reply without bits flying out of m0uth. Mo-Yeon smiles at how adorable Min-Ji is, always trying her best to make her feel better and pats her head.

"I personally think it's time to start your training, Doctor Kang. I've been told you've been studying medicine quite extensively but as Urk's Queen, you need to learn at least the basics of physical and tactical combat," Shi-Jin interrupts. "And just to put it out there, I think Grand Master Kang sounds more formidable than Doctor Kang. Imagine the possibilities!"

Mo-Yeon's face crumples, as if she smells something bad. "What was that smell? Does that smell like a bad joke? Ah yes, that must be you, Captain."

"I think Grand Master Kang sounds like an old grumpy man, Your Highness," Min-Ji adds.

"See! My most trusted counselor thinks it's not a great idea," Mo-Yeon motions to Min-Ji and continues attacking the beautifully-cooked eggs in front of her. "And I don't like guns."

"Hmm," Shi-Jin remembers Mo-Yeon's mother. "But they're quite handy, don't you think?"

"There's barely a use for firearms here in Urk. And I don't like physical activities, too."

"You'll never not find a certain level of skill in self-defense to be useful, Doctor Kang."

"I don't like hurting people, okay."

Shi-Jin pauses and replies, "Your officers and the members of the state police all do their part to protect this Kingdom, your monarchy, and Your Majesty. While maintaining peace and order sometimes requires brute force, I don't think anyone of us enjoys hurting people. In fact, we see our job as protecting your people from getting hurt, not the other way around."

Mo-Yeon lets her fork rest at the end of her plate and she looks at Shi-Jin. Min-Ji, too, sensing tension, stops in the middle of her chewing. "I apologize; I did not mean to say that you did."

Shi-Jin smiles. "Apology, accepted. So, should we start with your training today?"

Mo-Yeon finds it hard to not frown at her new advisor. She looks at Min-Ji and asks, "Don't I have schedules for the day?"

Min-Ji quickly swallows her food and wipes her m0uth. "Captain Yoo has taken the liberty of taking care of what needs to be taken care of. He has also cleared your schedule for the day."

Believe it or not, this is the only time I would appreciate a packed day, Min-Ji! Mo-Yeon cries inside her head. She looks warily at Shi-Jin and began chewing on her lower lip, thinking of some excuse to get out of training. Would faking a stomach ache now work, I wonder?

"Faking a stomach ache won't work, Doctor Kang." Shi-Jin interrupts her thought.

"Sheesh," Mo-Yeon scowls. "And I just dressed up so well, too!"

"I agree, you look beautiful," Shi-Jin replies, his eyes on her.

Mo-Yeon was taken aback and couldn't help the blush creeping up her cheeks. What is wrong with you, Mo-Yeon? You look beautiful all the time! Him saying it doesn't make any difference! "I-I know!" She managed to stutter back at him.

Shi-Jin smirks and stands up. He approaches Mo-Yeon and bends towards her to level his gaze with hers. Mo-Yeon can feel his right hand settle on the backrest of her chair. "Should I help you pick a different outfit, I wonder, Doctor Kang?"

Mo-Yeon feels her face heat up some more and she stands up abruptly, her head knocking against Shi-Jin's. Min-Ji stood up in shock and reaches out to Mo-Yeon as both Mo-Yeon and Shi-Jin cradle their foreheads. Shi-Jin is laughing now, his hands still rubbing the redness in his forehead.

Mo-Yeon tries to stop herself from chuckling, too, and heads out of the dining hall to escape Shi-Jin's laughter ringing in her ears. She hears Min-Ji trying to keep up with her hurried strides and Shi-Jin calling out to her, "I'll be at Training Room 5, Doctor Kang!"

xxxxx

Shi-Jin, Myeong-Joo, and Dae-Young all had their backs stretched out in the grass, looking at the stars. The three young officers stayed back for a little while after the farewell ceremony for Shi-Jin, who was leaving for Great Britain tomorrow. The Queen's Gardens was a favorite spot at night whenever the trio decide to hang around. During Ah-In's time, all the officers had their own houses outside the royal compound.

"I told them I didn't want to leave," Shi-Jin said, clicking his tongue. Myeong-Joo and Dae-Young lied quietly at his sides.

"When you return, you'll become an even bigger and more badass boss, Big Boss," Dae-Young replied.

"Big Boss. What a joke. How can someone like him be called like that when he can't even go on a mission alone without whining?" Myeong-Joo rolled her eyes. "More like Whiny Boss."

"Hey, be kind to me. You won't see me for years, you know," Shi-Jin frowned at Myeong-Joo. "And right when you've been promoted to commander-in-chief, too. I thought I'll be able to take advantage of your new powers!"

"If you see father for me, tell him I miss him already," Myeong-Joo wrapped her arm around Shi-Jin's. "But yeah, I'll miss you, too."

"Where is Commander Yoon exactly anyway?" Shi-Jin asked Myeong-Joo. Silence started to color the air. Dae-Young felt he needed to steer the conversation away.

"Too bad you won't be here when Her Majesty's daughter comes back from the States. They say she's coming back to Urk next month and I hear she's quite a catch," Dae-Young elbowed Shi-Jin, his voice teasing. "And she's single, too!"

Myeong-Joo sat up and glared at Dae-Young, her hands still holding Shi-Jin's arm. "Oy, Dae-Young, are you interested in Mo-Yeon?"

"Well, I don't know. We haven't seen her for three years. I'm pretty sure she's grown into a fine Crown Princess," Dae-Young grinned at Myeong-Joo. "Don't you think so, too, Big Boss?"

"Don't look at me, Dae-Young. I'm sworn to a life of non-commitment. With a career this successful, a face and body this beautiful, and a personality this charming, how can women get their hands off me? I need to be available for all of them!" Shi-Jin said proudly, his face convinced that what he's saying sounds perfectly sensible.

Dae-Young and Myeong-Joo looked at him unbelievingly and burst into laughter.

"What? You think I'm funny, do you? Oy, this beast can't be held back."

Dae-Young brought his hand to Shi-Jin's head and ruffled his hair. Myeong-Joo folded her arms on top of Shi-Jin's chest and laid her head down. "You'll be alright, Yoo Shi-Jin."

"I hope so, too."

xxxxx

Training Room 5 is a regular-sized training room built for members of the Royal Family. The whole floor of the room is softer than normal ground and different exercise and training equipment are stashed in shelves at the corner. A door is connected to the training room and it leads to a quaint shooting range. Shi-Jin particularly remembered this training room—it was the room that the late Queen favored among others.

The Gentle Queen was undoubtedly one of the warmest and refined persons Shi-Jin ever met. He always thought it was because she was the Queen and that Queens were normally born with such finesse. But despite her motherly nature, Queen Ah-In was known to be quite formidable with a gun—and not just any gun. The late Queen particularly favored sniper rifles. During the five years that Yoo Shi-Jin hopped from country to country, meeting royalty after royalty, never did she meet a queen—nor a king—that was as versed as Queen Ah-In in artilleries and munitions.

His thoughts then slowly creep back to Mo-Yeon. Unlike her mother, she's quite averse to guns and she made that perfectly clear during breakfast. Maybe it's the doctor in her? He was looking through the training equipment on the shelves when Myeong-Joo comes in.

"Hey, do you need something?" Shi-Jin stops and meets Myeong-Joo at the middle of the room. "How is vacation treating you? You look like you need a spa session, or a trip to a nail bar."

Myeong-Joo fakes a laugh as a nod to his sarcasm. "You're starting training? How did you convince her?"

Shi-Jin winks at Myeong-Joo. "Women can't resist my charm, Myeong-Joo, not even the Queen."

Myeong-Joo chuckles at him. "If there's anyone in the world that is the epitome of oblivious, that's Mo-Yeon. I personally have a theory that she's a plant dressed in Queen's clothes."

"Says the woman who is oh-so emotionally and romantically involved right now," Shi-Jin smirks at her.

Myeong-Joo punches him in the chest. And being the strong woman that she is, the playful punch turns out to be quite a painful one. Shi-Jin winced from the impact but hides it from her. "Well I came to say I'm glad your back. Just to get it out there."

"No, no, don't change the subject, Myeong-Joo," Shi-Jin's grin widens. "You're fighting with Dae-Young again, aren't you? I can tell."

Myeong-Joo turns red and turns his back on Shi-Jin. "He is fighting with me."

"It looks like it's you that's fighting him, actually." Shi-Jin laughs.

Myeong-Joo remains obstinate. "Well you're wrong! Just so you know, I asked him to throw you a welcome back surprise last night but he snorted at my face and said you don't need one."

Shi-Jin puts his arm around Myeong-Joo and brings her down with him to sit with their legs crossed on the floor. "I appreciate the thought, thank you Myeong-Joo."

"Whatever. You men are a pain in my ^ss." Myeong-Joo shrugs his hand off of her. "Even more so than Mo-Yeon."

"You know this is the first time I really got to talk to her. Before, she was always studying, or away, or studying. You look close to her, though." He looks at Myeong-Joo. "You never talked about her in our e-mails. Actually, scratch that, you rarely even e-mailed me!"

"We became close after Her Majesty died. And just so you know, we're pretty busy out here ever since Mo-Yeon became Queen. She's a mess, I tell you!" Myeong-Joo says exasperatedly, her hands running though her hair. "But she's come a long way. That's why we asked you to come back, because no one here has the time—nor the patience, mind you—to train her. It seemed like you two would get along and it looks like I was right. Of course, I'm always right."

"Well we're not getting along just fine, our Queen's a handful!" Shi-Jin shakes his head and sighs. "But I'm awesome, so don't worry. Why do you call her Doctor Kang, anyway? She's not even a doctor, yet."

"Actually she already is. Father said she was one of the top students in her class when she came back here, right after you left. She was supposed to stay in Urk just for a couple of months before flying back to some middle eastern country for a medical mission that will take years, she said," Myeong-Joo explains. "But then, you know the rest of the story."

"Hmm," Shi-Jin pauses. "Guess being a Queen hasn't always been in the plan."

"That's where you come in, I suppose." Myeong-Joo shrugs.

"You make it sound like I'm a terrible improviser," A voice rang out from across the room. Shi-Jin and Myeong-Joo stand up and look at the source of the voice. They see Mo-Yeon in her workout clothes step in.

"Well, I'll let you guys get to it." Myeong-Joo says and makes her exit. "Later, Doctor Kang."

"I see you've been talking behind my back," Mo-Yeon glares at Shi-Jin.

"So for today's lesson—"

"Hah! Classic evasion technique!" Mo-Yeon cuts him. "You think you can get away with everything, don't you, Captain Yoo Shi-Jin?"

Shi-Jin approaches Mo-Yeon and stops just inches from her. Mo-Yeon can almost feel his breath across her face but she holds her ground and looks at him straight in the eye.

"I'll let you know, Doctor Kang, that I'm not trying to get away from you."

"Maybe you should. I'm pretty scary. I'm the Queen."

"That sounds very logical to me. And very scary, too." Shi-Jin takes one small step closer to her and now, definitely, she can feel his breathing in front of her. Mo-Yeon starts to chew her lower lip in defiance and squint her eyes at him dangerously.

"Maybe I'll have your head for tomorrow's breakfast, Captain Yoo Shi-Jin."

"You can call drop the pleasantries, Doctor Kang, it's just the two of us here."

"That's my line, if you don't mind."

"I think that's a call we can both make."

"I'm your Queen, Yoo Shi-Jin."

"I'm older than you, Doctor Kang. And your teacher, too."

"You're like two years older than me! Much older men follow my bidding!"

"Oh, I see that's how the Queen rolls. I never really saw you as the older men type," Shi-Jin winks at her.

Mo-Yeon feels her face starting to warm up again so she intentionally knocks her forehead against Shi-Jin's this time and runs away.

"I'll really have your head for tomorrow's breakfast!" Shi-Jin hears her voice and heavy steps fading, and chuckles to himself. He resigns and falls to the ground. Sheesh, there's still so much she has to learn.