New day

New Year, Same Me

Moonbyul and Yongsun decided to spend New Year's Eve with each other rather than with the group as a whole. Hyejin didn’t mind. She could deal with not being around the dramatic couple for one day. And she was still able to celebrate with Wheein, like she always did.

 

They were celebrating in Wheein’s apartment. Hyejin knocked on her door twice and Wheein opened the door to find her best friend smirking, holding bottles of wine. Wheein laughed, letting her in, and took out the karaoke machine.

 

Soon they were tipsy, Hyejin shaking her body vigorously on top of the coffee table while Wheein belted the notes to Tears. Both had a passing thought about how their heads will ache, their throats will soar, and their bodies will cramp in the morning. But they didn’t care. They always favored fun, whatever the consequences were.

 

Eventually they sang a duet, like always, and both were panting and sweating at the end of their private performance. Wheein turned to Hyejin, running her hand through her long hair. “What time is it?”

 

Hyejin blinked, unfocused. She caught herself staring at Wheein before her friend did and quickly looked at her wristwatch. “It’s almost midnight,” she said.

 

Wheein gasped. “Oh my god, already?” She scurried over to the patio and opened her screen doors. “Hurry up Hyejin! We’ll miss the fireworks.” She went outside before Hyejin could respond.

 

Hyejin rolled her eyes. She took her time, grabbing a cat print blanket that laid on the couch and wrapped herself around it. She stepped outside, watching her best friend shiver in the winter wind. Hyejin outstretched her arms. “Hurry up and get in.”

 

Wheein smiled and huddled closer to Hyejin until they were both protected from the cold. Wheein leaned back, rubbing her cheek against Hyejin’s neck. Hyejin was unsure if Wheein was playing around or if she was trying to gather more warmth. Probably both. “Thanks Hyejin, you’re the best.”

 

Hyejin scoffed. “Of course I am. I’m your best friend for a reason.”

 

Wheein only smiled. The first boom resounded and the two girls swiftly faced forward. Sparks flew into the air, erupting and descending gracefully down. “Wow!” Wheein clapped. “Hyejin, isn’t this beautiful?”

Hyejin snuck a glance at Wheein. She watched the hues of pink, blue, and yellow appear on the older girl’s face. She did this every year and Wheein never noticed. “You’re right. It’s beautiful.”

 

Everything changed in such a short time. Wheein and Hwasa both left their parents to pursue their dream, had their debut with Yongsun and Moonbyul as Mamamoo, and held their first concert.

 

The only thing that remained constant in Hyejin’s life was Wheein. Wheein had the same outgoing personality, the same endearing laugh, and the same dimpled smile. And Hyejin’s feelings for Wheein remained the same. “Happy New Year,” she whispered.

 

Wheein turned away from the fireworks to look at Hyejin. “Happy New Year to you too!” Wheein opened to say something else, but changed her mind and bit her lip. Hyejin frowned, but was interrupted before she could ask Wheein what was wrong.

 

“What’s your resolution for this year by the way?” Wheein gazed back at Hyejin. “And before you say anything, I mean something not Mamamoo related.

 

Hyejin hummed, deep in thought. “Be more honest,” she said simply.

 

Wheein tilted her head, confused. “That’s it?”

 

“That’s it,” Hyejin repeated.

 

Wheein chuckled. “How simple.” She went back to focusing on the fireworks. “I’m sure you’ll achieve your goal then.”


Hyejin wrapped her hands around Wheein’s waist and settled her chin atop of her friend’s shoulder. “Hopefully I will.” And hopefully, something will change between the two of them. For the better.

_________

[Author's Note:]

Follow me on tumblr at https://sammeup.tumblr.com
I'll be posting sneak peeks of my future fics on there. I will also be posting my own personal stories and character profiles there.