Ordinary

Our Playlist

“Nothing ordinary ‘bout the way I feel. Nothing un-extraordinary, this is real.”


 

 

“Hey, aren’t you guys spending time with each other a little bit too much?”

 

“Yeah! You guys should come out and hang out with us. We’re friends with you, too!”

 

“Don’t be keeping her to yourself. Share her with us!”

 

A sigh broke out from the peaceful silence. Those were some of the comments Moonbyul’s friends had said. She was busy writing a set of lyrics in her home studio for an upcoming solo performance she was planning to do at a local bar, and she couldn’t afford to take in distractions.

 

I must focus harder.

 

Moonbyul tried her best to come up with another line, but the thought from earlier irritated the heck out of her as she dropped her pen on top of her desk, groaned in frustration. How can she be able to get the work done? What will happen if she didn’t meet the deadline? What kind of an excuse would she come up with?

 

There were too many questions lingered in her mind, not enough answers to give.

 

Just as Moonbyul smacked her face into her desk, she heard a knock on the door.

 

“Byul-ah?” An angelic, honey-like voice resonated into her mind. “Is everything alright in there?”

 

Moonbyul turned her head on the side to see Solar—her beautiful wife, poked her head out with a hint of concern on her face.

 

“Everything’s OK, Yongsun-ah.” She smiled while she sat upright into her seat, stretching out her arms and legs. “Just taking a break is all.”

 

Solar opened the door and slipped inside the studio room, where she witnessed many paper balls scattered everywhere.

 

“Oh, I see.” Solar nodded as she crouches to the floor and started to pick up the paper balls to clean up.

 

“Ah! Let me help you with that.” Moonbyul went and immediately joined Solar to help. “Sorry about the mess.” She smiled sheepishly.

 

“It’s OK. I know you’ve been working really hard.”

 

Moonbyul was grateful to have a loving, supportive wife.

 

 

A few moments later, the studio room was spotless without papers scattered around everywhere.

 

“There!” Solar puffed out her chest and grinned while she placed both hands on her hips. “The studio looks a lot nicer without the trash you’ve piled up.”

 

Moonbyul laughed and scratched behind her head.

 

“Again, sorry about that. How can I make it up to you?”

 

“Hmm…” Solar paused for a moment before she grabbed Moonbyul’s hand to pull her along. “You can make it up to me by spending time with me instead.”

 

Oh… “B-but what about my work?” Moonbyul stammered as she was taken aback from witnessing her wife's bold action.

 

“That can wait,” Solar grinned as she led Moonbyul to their living room. “I know you won’t get far without an inspiration in mind. And besides, you were pretty vocal about how stressed you are with it.”

 

Moonbyul sighed and bowed her head down in guilt.

 

“You heard me in there? Wow, I’m speechless.”

 

She heard Solar giggled as she was pushed down to sit on the sofa, along with her wife while gingerly climbing on to her lap.

 

“Don’t feel bad, Byul-ah,” Solar cooed as she curled her body up into Moonbyul. “I’m here for you. Always have been.”

 

Hearing her wife said that never failed to make Moonbyul smile. While she was wrapping her arms around Solar’s waist, her mind started to drift back to the nagging thoughts her friends' remarks earlier.

 

“Hey…” Solar whispered, attempting to break herself into Moonbyul’s reverie. “Is there something that’s bothering you? You seemed out of it.”

 

Huh? Moonbyul shook herself back into reality as a pair of an adorable yet concerned eyes were staring into hers.

 

Sometimes, she forgets she was the one that married to her beloved sunshine in the first place.

 

“… Yeah,” Moonbyul slowly admitted. “It’s something that some of our friends have said to me about us.”

 

“Oh?” Solar cocked her head slightly to the side while wrapping her arms around Moonbyul’s neck. “What did they say?”

 

“Well…” Moonbyul sighed. “They said we’re too greedy to each other.”

 

An eyebrow was raised from Solar’s face. “What?”

 

“As in, we spend time with each other—more so than with them.”

 

“And?”

 

“...And they said we should be out actively to spend quality time together with them as a group.”

 

“Is that all?”

 

Moonbyul nodded. “Pretty much.”

 

A moment of silence has passed before Solar started to laugh hysterically.

 

“Oh gosh!” She wheezed while continuing to laugh. “If they really want to spend time with us that badly, they could have taken their time to give us a call or something. Smartphones does exist for a reason, y’know!”

 

Moonbyul grinned.

 

Well… it did sound somewhat ridiculous when she said it. 

 

“And besides,” Yongsun giggled. “They don’t know anything about us—our love and bond we have for each other.”

 

Moonbyul laughed along with her wife.

 

“You brought up a good point, Yongsun-ah.”

 

“I know! I’m such a genius.”

 

“Still a yeba to me though.”

 

Solar immediately slapped onto Moonbyul’s chest.

 

“Shut it,” she pouted. “I still can’t believe you called me that even after all the years we’ve been together.”

 

That’s right, Moonbyul mused. She and her wife have been married for ten years-- technically fifteen if Moonbyul counted in the unofficial wedding vows she had with her during their days as an idol.

 

Those days were the blast of the past for her, Solar, and the rest of her bandmates. They were the biggest trendsetter on the global map, and were loved by millions of fans who genuinely cared for their work and well-being as individuals.

 

Moonbyul still remembered their departure as all four broke their announcement of their disbandment. Many fans cried and cheered on that day, including themselves. Their last concert was held together in the very stage of Budokan—where they sang their hearts out one last time, with all the remixes and medleys they could think of with their current and past songs.

 

The four left an everlasting impression in the history of music entertainment, a legend that would never be forgotten.

 

“Yeah,” Moonbyul sighed happily and winked at Solar. “And yet you’re still here with me, loving every bit of it.”

 

Another hit was received onto her chest.

 

“You’re full of yourself.” Solar murmured.

 

Seeing her wife acting like a child, it got Moonbyul to smile as she gently pressed her lips against Solar’s forehead.

 

“Yongsun-ah,” She called as Solar looked up. “Do you enjoy the life we have now—away from the limelight and attention as an idol?”

 

“Hmm,” Solar paused for a moment and smiled. “After we accomplished our goals and inspired everyone, yeah. I do.”

 

Moonbyul pulled Solar closer into her arms. “Yeah?”

 

“Uh huh,” Solar nodded as she leaned in closer, enjoying the warmth that was radiated from her beloved. “Are you enjoying this life as well?”

 

Moonbyul gently placed her hands onto Solar’s hips and whispered, “I am. Do you know why?”

 

She heard a breathless sigh as Solar straddled on to her lap.

 

“Hmm… why’s that?”

 

“Well…” Moonbyul smiled as she slowly started to rub Solar’s hips. “For one thing, I don’t have the obligation to go through every effort to remain myself hidden in a plain sight on and offstage.”

 

“Secondly…” She leaned herself back against the sofa while pulling Solar along with her. “I don’t have to wait for opportunities to come up with elaborate plans or reservations to spend time with you. You’re right here with me—we can do anything you want to do without worrying about something else.”

 

“And lastly…” Moonbyul breathed as she felt Solar’s hands roving into her long locks of raven hair. “We don’t have to facecam to watch each other falling asleep, nor timing ourselves to bid each other goodnight over the phone when one of us attends a schedule somewhere far away. The thought of you being apart from me drives me crazy.”

 

Moonbyul sighed happily as she felt her beautiful wife’s loving gaze at her.

 

“Life after stepping down as an idol has been simple. I don’t have to worry about what the public thinks about us as much, I don’t have to worry to tread carefully with my actions towards you when we’re in public. I feel the weight of my shoulders has been lifted because of the unlimited freedom we have now and…” She took a deep breath and quietly whispered, “I love you so damn much, Kim Yongsun. The life that I live now, is so much better when you’re here with me.”

 

Solar was left speechless from the heartfelt confession, and instead she leaned in and kissed Moonbyul deeply with her lips—to reciprocate the profound feelings she had towards her.

 

Moonbyul smiled in the kiss. In her world, she always thought of herself living in an ordinary life, even while she was an idol. What she and the rest of the members of the group did was extraordinary, embarked their accomplishments to become a musical legend. Yet when she stepped out of the limelight, her life became simple—un-extraordinary under her name.

 

There was one thing she has found during her journey, and that was having her radiant wife shining brightly into her life—filling up the rest of the days and years of her lifetime.

 

Moonbyul couldn’t and wouldn’t trade her sunshine for anything else in the world, even if the world itself would go against them.


Inspired by Wayne Brady's - "Ordinary". Personally, I think either MB and/or SL should make a song cover for this. ; w;