05. routines and skinship

kaisoo inventory

Title: routines and skinship
Word Count: 737 words
Genre: romance, fluff (canon!au)
Description: "You know, you have to stop doing that or I might just end up falling for you."


It's Kyungsoo's turn to wash the dishes and as soon as the members have filed out of the dining room, Jongin wordlessly stands up to stack the plates together, placing the utensils on the top while Kyungsoo gathers as much used glasses as he can and they both bring it to the sink. 

Kyungsoo starts working on the dishes, holding the sponge in hand and squeezes out liquid detergent on top of it. He scrunches up the sponge until the detergent turns into a white foam of bubbles before scrubbing the rather greasy plates while Jongin brings over the rest of the glasses and places it beside the others before going back to his seat on the table, silently watching the other do the chore. 

It's a routine they've gotten used to — Jongin helping with gathering the used plates and glasses while Kyungsoo working on the rest. It's quite different when it's Jongin who's supposed to wash the dishes, with Kyungsoo playing a much bigger role in the chore. 

It's routine, nevertheless, and Kyungsoo likes the way they work together. 

Kyungsoo's past halfway done into finishing the chore when Jongin opens his mouth to speak. "Hyung, I'm bored."

Kyungsoo only hums as he scrubs a glass inside and out. "Go on ahead, you don't have to wait for me."

There's a few seconds of silence and Kyungsoo briefly wonders if Jongin did leave but the thought is washed away as the younger speaks again. "Let's watch a movie together."

Kyungsoo chuckles as he sets the last of the glasses down. "I'm pretty pre-occupied right now, if you haven't noticed." He puts the sponge down and reaches for a plate to rinse out the suds under running water. "Maybe after."

A familiar pair of arms sneak around his waist and Kyungsoo stills for a second as he feels a steady, warm body press against his back. Kyungsoo easily recovers though, knowing that Jongin is as affection and touchy as anyone can possibly be. He doesn't think much about it, fully aware that the other's liking to skinship isn't exactly exclusive to him. 

"Then finish faster." Jongin whines and it's rather distracting, having another person in close proximity while working on a chore but Kyungsoo makes do. 

Kyungsoo doesn't reply after that, opting to silently wash out the soap off the utensils and glasses. He feels Jongin squeeze tighter, the younger's head tilting to rest against Kyungsoo's cheek. Kyungsoo chuckles at the gesture, blurting out a, "You know, you have to stop doing that or I might just end up falling for you," before he can thoroughly think about his words. 



Silence ensues and Jongin lifts his head from Kyungsoo's shoulder to look at the other's face. "Do you actually mean that?" 

Kyungsoo nibbles on his lower lip as he places the plate in his hand down with a sigh. "Yes. Maybe? I don't know, really." And that's the truth — everything's a blur really and Kyungsoo's having a hard time seeing the line that separates the platonic from the romantic. Maybe some distance would help. 

The arms around his waist loosen its grip and Kyungsoo wonders if he's ruined it, if he's caused a rift in their friendship due to his careless words. Slowly, the arms release its tight hold around the older and Kyungsoo can only sigh. 

However, the hands stop on the sides of his waist, the grip still rather loose but very much present while Jongin's head rests against the space between Kyungsoo's shoulder blades. 

Kyungsoo's confused, to say the least. "Didn't I tell you to stop? " The hands on his waist tightens. "Before things get out of hand, I mean — I don't know."

Jongin nuzzles his head against Kyungsoo's back, like a puppy seeking for attention. It's cute, Kyungsoo has to admit, but it does nothing to ease his confusion. 

"Jongin?" He calls out softly. "What are you doing?"

Jongin raises his head and buries it in Kyungsoo's neck instead and only then does Kyungsoo feel the strain in Jongin's cheeks caused by a hidden smile. "Trying to make you fall in love with me?" The voice is soft, unsure and Kyungsoo can picture the tinge of pink blooming on Jongin's cheeks. 

"Why?"

Jongin wraps his arms around Kyungsoo's waist in a tight grip again as he stands on tiptoes to press a quick peck on Kyungsoo's cheek. "That's why."