shin(ee)ing stars

shin(ee)ing stars

It seemed like it had been ages since the last time those 5 stood in front of that house, still old and rickety but full with memories. None of them dared to look into the other’s eyes, it had been too much time since they talked, and yet they were all here. They all wished their meeting would have been under happier circumstances but life had different plans.

The door open and an old lady came out, tears sprang in her eyes as she came closer and hugged them all together, if she knew they hadn’t been close lately she would have probably been sad, they hugged her back, there was no need with more sorrow.

 

 
 

2 days earlier

 

Jonghyun  

 

Jonghyun liked the late shifts, the building was quiet and the staff was nice, the songs he played were calming just as the night, it took almost 2 years but eventually he’s got his own radio show.
As he took a big bite of his sandwich he looked at the computer screen and chose the next song he was going to play to his listeners, his brother’s name popped into his eyes, he couldn’t deny that his late song was a hit, he’ll play it last though.

When the show was over and he made his way to his car he saw a missed call from his mother, it was too late to call her back though, it would have to wait until morning, there was also a missed call from Krystal, he was curious why, after all, they broke up a week ago, she said she won’t talk to him ever again and yet there was a call from her. Too bad he wasn’t going to call her back, if he would have he would have probably know she had a message from his mother for him, his father passed away.

 

 
 

Onew

 

He wasn’t a bit of a dancer but his new song required at least a little movement, side to side was enough.

The crowd cheered and called his name, his face focused on the girl on the first row, she beamed at him like she always did, she never missed his concerts, the girl he was going to ask her to marry him looked even more beautiful tonight and he couldn’t wait until the night would over and they’ll go to that restaurant where they first met 2 years ago.

“Encore, encore, encore!” the crowd went wild when he finished his song, he bowed and thanked them for their support  but had to get off the stage.

Luna waited for him backstage as always for a sweaty kiss and a hug “you were amazing as always, baby”

“I’ll change quickly and we could go something to eat. I have a little surprise for you tonight”

Their moment has been interrupted when his manager rushed at him with his phone in his hand, he was going to tell him that his father passed away.

 

 

Key

 

‘Fashion week’ here I come, no more small brands modeling, his agency finally proved they were worth something.

Key smiled at his friend as they walked into the terminal, behind him rolled a little suitcase, nothing too fancy in it, few boxers, pajamas and his cosmetics, the fancy clothes he’ll wear at the fashion shows he’ll receive from ‘Dolce&Gabbana’.

They were on their way to check in when he received a call from his mother, big smile crossed his lips, she hadn’t forgotten his important day, probably called to wish him good luck, ‘my beautiful boy’ she’ll say proudly, she always supported his modeling career, in days like this he missed her so much, America was too far from home.

But when he answered the call his smile faded, his ticket to ‘fashion week’ in Paris had changed into one-way ticket to Korea when he heard the news about his father.

 

 
 

Minho

 

“GOALLLL” the crowd roared, Minho ran across the field waving triumphantly with a big smile on his face, his teammates ran toward him with hugs, everybody were excited, it was the first game of the season and it seemed like they’re going to win it, it was a great start for the new player.

It’s been only a month since Minho joined the British team and he already started to prove himself, not so long ago he was just another low league player in Korea, the coach saw him playing while he headhunted for new talents and offered him a big contract, he signed it almost immediately, it was his chance to make his dream come true.

The game renewed and everybody were ready in their places when suddenly the judge whistled for a time out and the coach signed Minho with his finger to switch players

Confused, Minho ran at him while another player came into the field instead of him “What happened?” he asked.

The coach looked sad as he told him about his father.

 

 

 

Taemin

“And 1-2-3-4...1-2-3-4…” Taemin clapped his hands to the rhythm of the music and bunch of 5 years old started to jump, the dance was nothing like he taught them but he let them go freestyle.

Teaching children to dance at the community center was just a way to make a living, a second incoming, too bad he never had a first incoming, he liked to think about it as gaining experience but knew he was just wasting his time teaching children to dance like the muppets.

He was a good dancer, trained at one of the most known studios in Korea, went to any audition he knew about and yet couldn’t make a dancing career, it frustrated him.

“Ok guys…” he called after glancing at the clock, happy that class was over “that’s all for today”

He waited until everybody left the studio before he collected his things into his bag, getting out as well he pulled his phone from his pocket to see a missed call from his mother.  

The smile that lingered on his face just by hearing her voice disappeared when he heard his father passed away.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

The skies were dark, it would probably rain soon, Key looked at his mother as she cried comforted by Onew’s hug, though he wanted to cry as well he felt he should be strong for her, just like his brothers did, they all kept their expression sealed but he knew they were all sad deep inside.

They left the cemetery right after the funeral, Minho and Jonghyun stayed to thank all the family friends that came to honor their father while the rest took their mother home, too sad and weak she retired to her room at the moment they arrived, Onew, Key and Taemin had left to take care things around the house.

When the night has come it all became quiet, the 5 brothers finally faced each other, they never had a fight that brought them apart but they all grew up different ways.

They were one big happy family once, Umma, Appa, Onew and Jonghyun, then came the twins, Taemin was an oops, everybody knew it, so does he, but it never made him feel unloved.

Minho always thought the brothers went on different ways when Key left the house for a modeling career at USA, until then, they all lived at their parents' house, together.

However it happened because they all wanted to build their life, Onew became a singer, Jonghyun finally got a job at the radio station, while Key was at USA Minho got into a low league soccer team, Taemin found a job at the community center as a dancing teacher, they all focused on their life and forgot about the others.

Now, as they all sat around the dining table in the kitchen with their phones in their hands for a distraction, Key drew their attention.

“Is anyone hungry?” he asked as he got up from his chair and looked through the fridge for something to eat, he glanced over his shoulder to see all four nodding sheepishly.

Can’t find anything he looked for rice at the cabins, when he found he announced “I can make rice…”

Onew got up from his chair and looked through the pantry, he found jerky beef “I can make something out of that” he said.

Taemin got up from his chair and looked for pots for them to cook in while Jonghyun started to arrange the table, Minho looked for drinks.

It’s been an eternity since they all worked in their mother’s kitchen, working all together like that brought the memories up “do you remember when was the last time we all cooked together?” Jonghyun asked with a soft smile on his face.

“It was at Umma and Appa 15 anniversary” Onew said.

“Hmmm...we tried to bake a cake” Minho chuckled to the memory of 5 young children making a mess in the kitchen.

“Umma and Appa were so excited but after they saw the mess...we all got scolded” Taemin said and muffled a chuckle.

“But they couldn’t stop laughing while they did” Key added with a smile.

“We did get punished though” Jonghyun reminded all.

“It’s wasn’t a punishment” Minho said “we just had to clean the mess we made”

“I remember that clearly” Taemin said “you all screwed me over and I ended up cleaning all by myself”

All five laughed, since Taemin was the youngest they used to screw him with their chores all the time, he never complained though, he loved his big brothers, it was his way to get their attention, doing whatever they told him to do, luckily their mother used to stopped them from torturing the poor boy who was too naive for his own bad.

But as much as they teased the young boy they loved him much, they watched him as expected, never let anyone hurt him, every time someone bullied their little brother at school they were all there to protect him, Umma and Appa taught them to care for each other.

Dinner was ready and they all sat to the table, Onew placed the food on their plates and made an extra dish for their mother.

“I hope she’ll eat, she hadn’t touched the tea and sandwich I brought her a few hours ago” Key said.

“She just need some time, she’ll eat when she’ll be hungry” Minho said to the sight of their worried faces. All agreed.

“I’ll bring the food to her room later” Key promised “she’s probably sleeping anyway, she took a pill”

“It’s probably weird for her to sleep alone” Minho said.

Onew nodded understandingly “it’s must be hard, I can’t see myself sleeping without Luna by my side and...” his words suddenly faded away, he realized his brothers hadn’t even known Luna, they hadn’t been in touch for so long “...Luna, she’s my girlfriend” he explained them, they had embarrassed looks on their faces for not knowing who she was “I was about to propose her when I’ve found out about Appa” he pulled his phone from his pocket and looked for her picture.

“She’s beautiful” all said appreciatively.

“She’s good too, I wish Appa knew her…he would have loved her. Speaking of girlfriends, how’s Krystal?”

Jonghyun and Krystal were together since high school, they all knew her, the question startled him, he wasn’t sure he was ready to tell his brothers they broke up because she caught him cheating on her. With a man.

“We...broke up”

Big aww echoed at the kitchen, all brothers asked why.

“We just...grew different ways”

“I always thought you two would marry first” Onew said and they all nodded in agreement.

“Someone else would come around” Jonghyun said almost too casually, though he hated himself for hurting Krystal he knew it should had happened, the breakup, he wouldn’t have cheated on her again if he had the chance to rewind, he apologized millions times of course but it didn’t seem like she could forgive him, can’t blame her.

“How about you guys?” Onew asked curiously.

The twins shook their heads “apparently, American models don’t like Asian models as their boyfriends…” Key said rolling his eyes “so ing shallow…”

“You don’t have to have a model girlfriend” Minho teased.

Though he was right, Key glared at him, it always been like that with the twins- love and hate relationship “it’s much easier like that, models can understand each other’s schedule. Besides, you should know that, it’s hard to have a relationship with such demanding career, if you would have a girlfriend, would she be able to understand your traveling? You’re no longer in a low league team, you’d probably travel a lot…”

Minho smiled at his brother “you know I play at the British team now?”  

Key knew, he was proud of him too but he would never admit it, he nodded and looked at the others as he said casually “we all knew... there was a game a few days ago, I saw it at the airport while waiting for my flight”

All nodded.

“Awww-”

“Shut it, Minho”

“What about you, little brother?” Jonghyun asked and all turned to look at Taemin.

He shook his head “don’t look at me, I work at the community center, I get to meet only 5 years old children and their mothers”

They chuckled for a brief moment before it all became quiet, like there wasn’t anything to talk about anymore.

“You know…” Jonghyun was the first to talk “I didn’t even know Appa was sick”

Onew and the twins nodded, they hadn’t known either, except Taemin who just lowered his head, feeling guilty “I knew…” he whispered.

All eyes looked at him surprised “you did?” Key asked.

“Hmmm…I came to visit few months ago, there was a letter from his doctor at the mailbox, I’ve opened it before I got into the house and saw Appa’s tests results, he was very sick but hadn’t told us anything, I thought he’ll tell me that day when we sat for dinner, but he hadn’t”

“Why haven’t you told him you know?!”

“I don’t know, Key. I was just...I don’t know”

“If Appa didn’t want to tell us he must had his reasons” Onew said ready to prevent an argument.

“But if he had, maybe we could have done something...” Minho said sadly.

“Like what?” Key asked bitterly.

“I don’t know...” he admitted.

“Umma and Appa did ask me to visit many times before, I was such an idiot for not come” Jonghyun said, tears sprang in his eyes “I could have… at least, see him...one last time before he…” he was crying now. They all did.

“They asked us all” Taemin mumbled “they probably wanted to tell us all together”

“We're horrible sons” Minho said and lowered his head.

“You’re amazing sons” a soft voice echoed in the kitchen, all five turned to look at their mother who stood at the entrance, she looked vulnerable with her nightgown, her eyes were red and puffy from crying but a smile lingered on her face.

Onew hurried to get up and brought his mother a chair to sit on, she kissed their foreheads before she joined them at the table “Appa hadn’t told you since he didn’t want you to be worried” she explained “I told him you should know but he insisted, don’t be mad at him for keeping it a secret”

“We just wished we could have more time with him” Jonghyun said and his mother nodded understandingly, she reached her hand over the table and his cheek lovingly.

“Appa loved you all, he just wished you could be closer, like you were when you were kids…”

“We’re sorry, Umma” Key said, knowing they must have caused their parents worried for them.

Taemin leaned against his mother’s shoulder and she hugged him tightly “we promise to be friends again” he said and looked at his brothers, they all nodded in agreement.

“Appa would have been happy to know that” mother said, she smiled at her sons and pampered them with her hugs and like she did when they were kids “I love you all, my little shin(ee)ing stars”