Winged Meanie

Winged Meanie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jonghyun was skeptical about this idea from the very beginning. He was opposing to it strongly saying he won't do it - not now, not ever. 

 

It should have stayed that way. He should never agree to do it. He should never come here. 

 

Now he stands in the middle of some damn forest, each of his hands occupied with a heavy bag full of clothes, cosmetics, books, medicines, food, rat poison, insects poison, guidebooks instructing how to survive in the woods and a baseball bat. He never played baseball in his life, he thinks it a lame game for people who like to wear stupid pants and throw themselves on the ground without a justifiable reason. The bat is for protection. 

 

There is one more bag, smaller one, hanged across his shoulder. There is money and a laptop in there (wrapped in three layers of a bubble wrap - just in case). 

 

The house he looks at is old, wooden and small. He already hates it.

 

He sighs with despair before slowly approaching the half-rotten door. They creak pitifully when Jonghyun opens them, making the man wince at the loud sound. It definitely doesn't make him like the house more.  

 

The inside of the house is dark, there's unpainted wood on the walls, floor and ceiling, furnitures are simple, mostly wooden and old. Living room is quite small, most part of it is taken by spiral staircase leading to the second floor where as Jonghyun guesses is bedroom and main bathroom. Kitchen is even smaller than the living room, it has only one tiny window and very scary object in the middle of it - a tiled stove. 

 

Jonghyun lived his whole life in the city, he only visited his grandparents few times during summer vacation when he was still a little kid. He never had to deal with other stove than electric one. Actually the only experience he ever had with fire was this one time in high school when he made a romantic dinner for his boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend) and he decided to use candles as a light. He still used only one deciding that using two could be dangerous. Better not to play with fire, Jonghyun's mom always said. 

 

He has no slightest idea how to handle something like tiled stove which by the way looks like if it’s two hundred years old.  Will he have to die from hunger because his grandparents didn't thought of buying a normal stove to their house? 

 

Jonghyun tears his eyes away from the frightening object and decides to walk upstairs to check if he will also be forced to sleep on something like a straw bedding. He struggles to fit on the narrow spiral stairs with all his luggage, almost falling down on the first turn when his shoulder bag decides to suddenly slid from left to right on his . Fortunately there are only three turns on the staircase so when he reaches the second floor he's deadly tired, but still alive. 

 

His new bedroom looks like a dungeon. At least that's what Jonghyun thinks about it. It has two small, round windows that barely let any light inside, the ceiling is low because of the sloping roof, and only standing in the middle of the room Jonghyun can straighten his back. 

 

At least there is a real bed is the room. A king sized, big bed. It's so huge there's no place in the room left for a closet or a desk, so there's only a small commode under one wall, and a door on the other one. Jonghyun sighs in the way that shows just how tired he feels after being in the house for only couple of minutes and drops his bags on the floor. 

 

Leaving bags unpacked Jonghyun inspects the bathroom. First thing that comes to his mind when he sees it is that it's super small, but after all the whole house is ridiculously tiny. It's so small he doesn't even have a bathtub, only a shower, which because he loves to take long, aromatic baths in the evening. 

 

He leaves the bathroom and walks downstairs. And then back upstairs, and then down again. 

 

The house it too small and too dark and it makes him feel claustrophobic. It's also too old and it smells weird (like resin and wood) and there are a lot of objects in it Jonghyun doesn't know how to use, and it's ugly and not cosy at all, it doesn't have a tv, nor internet connection, not even a damn grocery store nearby. 

 

Summarising, the house doesn’t make a positive first impression on Jonghyun. 

 

The second one was even worse. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It happened in the morning, right after the sleepless night spend on a too hard mattress, when Jonghyun decided that his living room is so narrow and dark he prefers to expose himself to all bloodthirsty insects living in the forest and eat his breakfast outdoor more than stay inside and get suffocated by the dust.

 

He was calmly chewing on his sandwich (made from yesterday's bread since he was now living in the middle of a freaking forest and closest bakery was billion kilometres away) when it attacked him. 

 

"KILLED IT!!!" A yell and a burning pain on Jonghyun's forehead happen at the same time. The only reaction he has a time to make is to wail in pain (and get a heart-attack) before he sees his sandwich begin stolen by a… little-flying-thing. 

 

Jonghyun doesn't think much. He sees a tiny human with blue wings floating above the table so first wise reaction that comes to his mind is to scream as loudly as he can and hide under the table. 

 

He assumes he's safe there. I mean, what cruel creature would attack someone who's hiding under a ing table? Everybody knows it's second most safe place in the world after a bed.

 

Everybody except the little-flying-thing. 

 

It flies under the tablecloth and throws a piece of a ham straight at Jonghyun's face. Piece of a meat hits him right in the nose before he can do more than blink. Reactions at the occurrence are quite different. Jonghyun opens his eyes widely, disgusted sounds coming from his parted lips, while the little-flying-thing bends in half and bursts out laughing. 

 

Jonghyun snorts and groans and winces, and hits his head on the table while trying to leave his hideout under the wooden furniture (turning around and getting out  on all fours - the animal style escape). He cries frustrated rubbing his sore forehead with one hand, but doesn't stop his run, still crawling on his knees. 

 

Finally standing on his legs Jonghyun runs - faster than ever before, faster than he thought his short legs can move - and locks himself inside the dark house. He's not exactly in his right mind so he occupies himself with blocking the door with every furniture light enough for him to carry, creating pretty impressive mountain of chairs and pillows in front of the door in a lighting speed. When the last pillow is put in its place creating the most indestructible barricade which blocks the door of the cabin Jonghyun breaths out with relieve. He stands back and admires his work with a prideful smile. 

 

The little-flying-thing watches him from the kitchen where it calmly floats above the tiled stove. Light breeze from an open window blows into its slightly longer hair making them dance on the wind. 

 

"Can I ask you why are you putting all these chairs in front of the door?" The little-flying-thing asks curiously. It flies closer to the human, hands on the hips and eyes staring intensively into Jonghyun's back. 

 

"JESUS!!!" Jonghyun's hands grab his chest for the third time that day, his voice unusually high as he turns around to face the frightening creature that somehow managed to enter his house despite Jonghyun's inhuman efforts to block the door. 

 

"Wrong, my name's Taemin." The little-flying-thing giggles evilly. It flies up to Jonghyun and ignoring his desperate efforts to hid behind the furnitures arranged under the door, it reaches his hand to the man's forehead and skilfully snatches the small piece of a ham from Jonghyun's nose. "So, are you like, living here now or something?" The little-flying-thing asks casually, his jaw moving up and down whilst he chews on the ham that just a second ago was sticked to Jonghyun's face. 

 

"W-what?" Jonghyun squeaks out frightened to death. There is a ing fairy in his living room. Thirty centimetres tall guy with purple-blue wings attached to his back,  purple hair and silver eyes, happily chewing on Jonghyun's ham and not giving a that he just invaded someone's house without an invitation. Jonghyun believes this isn’t a common thing to happen. Or maybe it is in the forests. He doesn't know, he spend his whole life in Seoul, faaaar away from any trees. 

 

"C-can you p-please l-leeaaave my h-house? I d-don't w-want you h-eeere." Jonghyun pleads, his voice trembling, body shaking like a leaf. 

 

"Oh how RUDE!" The little-flying-thing or Taemin like it called itself flies up to Jonghyun and punches him with his tiny fist right in the nose. It doesn't matter that Taemin is as tall as Jonghyun's forearm, the city boy still whines at the punch pathetically, his hands flying to his face to inspect damages done by the fairy's fist. 

 

"B-but it's m-my home." Jonghyun cries after he decides that his nose probably isn't broken. It may never look as good as it did before tho. 

 

"Quite a hovel from what I can see." Taemin nods his head smartly while looking around the small house. "No offence, but I expected someone so handsome to live in some place a little bit more clean." Jonghyun doesn't say anything. Actually there's nothing to say, he agrees with the fairy on that one.

 

"Well, still, your couch looks quite nice." Taemin says and without asking for a permission flies over to the couch and sinks in it with satisfied sigh coming from his slightly purple lips when his makes a contact with the soft material. The fairy wriggles few times on the furniture trying to find the most comfortable position and when it finally happens he closes his eyes content.

 

Jonghyun gives the creature couple more minutes of peace before he fearfully approaches it and opens his mouth to whisper. "Excuse me Mr. Fairy, could you please leave me alone now?" Jonghyun's eyes stare at Taemin pleadingly. 

 

"I'm not a fairy, I'm an imp you dumb human." Taemin’s eyes shot open and he throws at Jonghyun something that is too small for the human to notice. "And wash that mosquito from your forehead, it's quite disgusting to walk around with a dead insect stuck to your face." Hearing Taemin's words Jonghyun touches his forehead worriedly and when he feels something wet and sticky on it he screams again and runs to the bathroom to wash his face. 

 

Now he understands what the imp meant when he yelled 'Killed it!' back in the garden. What he doesn't understand is why Taemin decided to make himself comfortable on his couch, why he invaded his house, and finally how is it possible something like Taemin even exists. 

 

Not finding any answers to his questions Jonghyun spends the rest of the day and the following night hidden in the bathroom, scared to leave the safe place and bump into the mean imp again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After the imp's first visit the house is quiet for a few days and Jonghyun begins to think that he only imagined the little boy with purple wings and hair. It makes him a little bit calmer, but his happiness doesn't last long. 

 

"Fuuuuu fuuuuu, someone here has a nice body." Jonghyun hears a loud whistling sound when he's in the middle of taking off his clothes before his evening shower. Not thinking even for a second he exclaims in a high-pitched voice, and runs out of the room despite the fact that his 'attacker' is barely thirty-ing-centimetres tall, and even if Jonghyun isn't the tallest man that ever walked on this planet he definitely is a lot taller than the imp.  

 

"Get out!!!" Jonghyun yells from his hideout behind the bathroom door. "Go peek on someone else!" He holds his shirt close to his chest trying to cover his bare torso, and shots a quick glance from behind his provisory shield in a general direction of a window in his bedroom - the place where he saw the imp just a moments ago. The irritating-flying-thing is gone. 

 

Jonghyun holds onto his shirt even more tightly when he gathers all courage he has in himself and sticks his whole head out from behind the door in a search for the petit creature. He sees nothing, the room is empty and he exhales with relieve leaving his hiding to go back to what he was doing before and that's taking a shower. 

 

"BOOOOOO!!!" Earsplitting scream resounds right next to his ear and Jonghyun whimpers, stumbles, his hands that are desperately trying to find in the air any object he could grab onto let go of his shirt, which flies through the whole room to land safely on the commode, while Jonghyun falls face-down on a hard floor. 

 

Jonghyun slowly rolls onto his back, painful groan leaving his mouth. The imp floats above him apparently drawing joy from Jonghyun's suffering. Actually, he's laughing his off. He's not even hiding it. Jonghyun's pretty sure all surrounding him living beings (which are only animals and worms living in the forest) in a distance of 10 kilometres can hear the imp's bells-like sounding laugh.

 

"God, you should have seen your face!!" Taemin bends in half and pats his thigh uncontrollably while his laughing increases. Jonghyun feels offended. He was being mocked by other people many times, but never by an imp. He thinks that's the lowest you can fall - being laughed at by a creature from story tales for children.  

 

"What are you? Why are you here?" Jonghyun asks in a crying voice, standing up to look less pathetic. Apart from his sponge Bob boxers he's so he tries to cover his chest with his hands to hide his body from the imp. 

 

"Your memory is so ing bad." The imp rolls his eyes in a disbelief. " I told you the last time, I'm Taemin, an imp. As for why am I here, I noticed that someone moved into grandma's house so I had to check what was happening in here."

 

"Grandma's?" Jonghyun asks looking at Taemin with reserve. As far as he knows it were his grandparents who lived in this house, definitely not Taemin's. 

 

"Yeah, grandma was dope, she was feeding me fresh baguettes with strawberry jam every saturday and she always had a pantry full of delicious food." The imp says with a dreamy smile. 

 

"Pantry?" 

 

"The little hillock at the back of the house is not in there just for fun you know, at the other side of it there are door and if you'll open them you'll find yourself in heaven. What a ty owner you are not to know something so important." The imp mocks him yet again. His wings make a barely hearable buzzing noise. It's not as annoying as the sound of mosquitos, Taemin's wings move a little bit slower and so the sound is a lot more melodious. 

 

"Few days ago you called my grandparent's house a hovel, now you insist that you liked my grandma." Jonghyun says trying to occupy the imp with something as he backs off if the direction of the bed where his baseball bat is hidden.

 

"Well, you can't deny that it looks pretty poor." Taemin flips his hair nonchalantly. They're purple. That unusual hair colour bugs Jonghyun probably more than the imp's height. That and his wings of course. 

 

"Then maybe you could find yourself some other place to spend your precious time at." Jonghyun suggest. His knees are bended and he looks straight ahead as he tries to reach his hand under the bed without being noticed by the imp. Naturally he fails. His back are arched back in a weird direction his face is red from the effort and his legs begin to shake as this pose isn't exactly the most comfortable one and he finds himself being carefully studied by the imp who floats just a half meter away from him. 

 

Taemin's head is tilted to the left and his brows are furrowed as he observes Jonghyun. "This position makes you look stupid. And ugly." He says. He flies closer and closer to Jonghyun until he's only centimetres away from his face and Jonghyun leans even further back trying to escape him. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter