Final

Candy Canes

"Junsun!!! Grab the colored lights!" Kyungsoo yelled down the hallway, waking up his four year old son from his nap.

The young boy tiredly trudged into the kitchen where his father was haphazardly digging through totes full of Christmas decorations. Tinsel and ornaments covered the floor where the dad was sitting.

Junsun rubbed his puffy eyes. "Daddy?" His voice was hoarse and questioning. "What are you doing?”

"The neighbor put up colored lights!" The single father shrieked, pulling a wad of holiday lights from the bottom of the container. They were tangled and possibly broken, but Kyungsoo didn’t care, he needed to get them up in the next hour.

"Sweetie, hold this end," The man passed one side of the strand to the child, attempting to untangle the knot.

"What's going on?" The little one was still bleary from sleep, lazily holding the end of the lights.

"We can't let him out do us again! And colored lights? Really? It's so on!!" Kyungsoo was fired up to say the least.  

The silent competition had started earlier that week, the neighbors attempting to outdo each other with the best holiday decorations. Kyungsoo had already spent about a hundred dollars on fancy blowups and multiple lights. And although he had presents to buy and bills to pay, it was completely worth it. Yes, he knew it was childish but he wanted to prove (mostly to himself) that he could beat someone at something.

The two single fathers had met only once and by accident about three months prior. The only thing that the short male knew was that his name was Jongin and that he had a three year old daughter. Oh, and that he was terribly attractive and completely out of his league.

So the elder knew he had to win this silent game, just to prove that he could be better at something. And who did this guy think he was? Christmas was Kyungsoo’s thing and no one had ever tried to outdo him. This man was poorly mistaken.

"Daddy, I want dinner," the toddler whined, pouting and dropping his end of the decorations.

"Junsun!" Kyungsoo scolded, pushing them back into Junsun's hand while unknotting them. "I'll make something after I put out the lights and the blowup I bought yesterday."

The child groaned. "Fine," He huffed, nose crinkling. He plopped down onto the couch, lying down and closing his eyes.

The elder would have cooed, but he was too busy. He had to win.

He neatly wrapped the now untangled lights around his arm and pulled on his black coat. “I’ll be right back!” He called to the child, running out the front door. He scoffed as he took in the sight of the neighbor’s yard. There were red and green bulbs covering the front entrance and a nativity scene in the center of the yard, all of the trees covered with little twinkling lights.

Ignoring the distraction, Kyungsoo started wrapping the lights around the maple tree on the right side of his property and the started blowing up the dancing Santa decoration he had gotten in the mail. Not only did the blowup move, it lit up. Take that Kim Jongin!

The twenty three year old angrily started setting up the candy canes around the walkway to his front stoop. Jongin didn’t have candy canes, so Kyungsoo puffed out his chest, knowing he was the obvious winner. Colored lights? Light up Santas? Candy canes? Hell yea, he had it all. And did Jongin? Nope. Didn’t think so.

Once they were all set out, Kyungsoo ran back into the house, cheeks tinted pink from the cold and cockiness written on his face.

Once he entered the kitchen, he started boiling a pot of water for their pasta. Junsun was still sleeping on the couch, face pressed into the decorative pillow.

"Baby, wake up," Kyungsoo roused the kid with a kiss on the cheek. "Dinner is almost ready."

The single father knew he'd have to break the unusual nap schedule soon because kindergarten would begin in a few months but he hated having to wake the sleepy boy up.

While stirring up the spaghetti, the man looked through the kitchen window, catching sight of Jongin in his yard, blowing up another decoration.

"JESUS," Kyungsoo huffed. "Does he ever stop?" But he still smirked but Jongin didn't have candy canes, did he?

Ha. er.

 

It was three days before Christmas when the two men had been caught putting up decorations at the same time. Kyungsoo was stringing up twinkle lights on his windows when Jongin came out of his house and started putting out read and green solar lights.

"Hey there neighbor!" The call startled Kyungsoo, almost dropping the strand of lights in his cold hand.

"Hi," He called back, just to be polite, afraid to look over and make eye contact.

"Your lights are looking good!" Jongin called again, this time a bit closer.

When the man looked over his shoulder, Jongin was a lot closer, looking at the candy canes along the walkway.

Kyungsoo smirked. Jongin was jealous of them, he knew it.

Just seconds later, Jongin was standing right behind him, holding the bottom of the ladder to stabilize it.

"Where's the little one?" The tan man questioned as Kyungsoo climbed down the rungs until he was on the ground, looking into the younger' eyes.

Kyungsoo lost his breath. He really was too attractive for his own good.  

"He's inside watching TV." It was odd, finally having a conversation with his neighbor of almost a year.

"I was thinking, since we're living so close, we should introduce the kids to each other. Who knows, maybe they'll be friends." Jongin shrugged, his smile brighter than any of the christmas lights out.

Although Kyungsoo technically considered Jongin his arch nemesis at that time, the idea was honestly too good to turn down. Junsun always had a hard time making friends. And they were so close.

"I guess," his eyes crinkled, not believed himself. "You can come tonight for dinner if you'd like," the elder's eyes widened with every word. What am I saying?

"Sounds perfect! How's six? Because Taerin has gymnastics at seven thirty."

"Alright," He nodded, inwardly cringing.

"See you then!" Jongin's face was cheery as he waved and waddled back to his house.

"Yep," Kyungsoo trudged into his own house, panicking instantly. He started ripping through the cabinets, looking for something presentable to make. Lately, he had just been making whatever they had in the house, never going out of his way. Eventually, he found some rice and took the chicken out of the fridge.

"This will have to do," he thought out loud, startled when Junsun pulled out the chair at the kitchen table.

"Are you actually making dinner tonight, daddy?" The boy sounded a bit skeptical.

"Yep," he started boiling the water and frying the chicken. "Jongin and Taerin are coming over in," He looked at the clock on the oven. "30 minutes! Oh shi-shoot." He caught his profanity, but the child didn't notice the slip at all, preoccupied with the crayons on the table.

The toddler sat quietly at the table while Kyungsoo rushed around, eventually making some presentable food for their guests.

The man wasn't used to having many guests, considering his girlfriend was usually the one with all the friends, and well, her leaving was definitely for the better. She had been bitter throughout the whole pregnancy and really their whole relationship. When she left Kyungsoo one day with a note and a child, he honestly wasn't very surprised. Pissed? Yes. But surprised? Not at all. But he can't be angry because from it, he got the most wonderful miracle in the world. So all in all, things worked out fine.

Except for the fact that his ex basically turned him gay, or mainly just made him realize just how interested in men he was. And now he was not only a lonely single father, he was a lonely single gay father. What a combination.

The table was set and Kyungsoo was showered by the time Jongin rang the doorbell, which happened to be six on the dot.

The elder rushed to the door, hair still wet. The opened door revealed a cold looking Jongin with a small girl on his hip who had her face smushed into his neck.

“Hey,” Jongin greeted and Kyungsoo opened the door further for him to step in. Taerin stayed buried in his neck, hair sticking up with static.

“Hi,” The brunette smiled, face red. This was the man he had been having the competition with. Obviously, he knew who he was fighting against, but it was weird having him in the house. He suddenly felt childish. And he was a lot hotter than he remembered. Damn. “Junsun! Jongin and Taerin are here!” He called down the hallway, wondering where the little boy had been for the past twenty minutes.

“Taerin,” the man nudged the girl’s head out of his neck, hoisting her higher on his hip. “This is Kyungsoo, the neighbor.”

“Hi sweetheart,” He greeted, waving with a cheesy smile. She smiled shyly then giggled, hiding her face in Jongin again.

“Sorry, she’s super shy,” The younger of the men chuckled, placing the little girl on the floor so he could shrug off his black jacket.

Under the winter coat, Jongin was wearing a tan sweater that was tight on his thin stomach and a pair of light skinny jeans, hanging low on his hips.

With that, Kyungsoo self consciously looked down at his own outfit; baggy dark jeans and a chunky red sweater from college. What the hell? Dad’s weren't supposed to be hot! Jongin was breaking all of the rules!

Taerin stood quietly while watching her father make small talk with Kyungsoo.

“Please excuse me,” Kyungsoo said after a few lines of small talk. He poked his head into the hallway. “Do Junsun!” He called louder this time, his patience running thin.

“Sorry about that,” he apologized to the guests.

Before Jongin could say anything, Junsun was running into the kitchen. “Daddy look!” He yelled, his voice cracking a bit cutely.  

The little boy’s face was covered in lipstick, blue eyeshadow smeared over his eyebrows, along with tons of other makeup that Kyungsoo couldn’t even decipher.

“Baby,” Kyungsoo kneeled down, chuckling at the boy.

Jongin was cracking up behind them, watching the scene.

“Did you find Daddy’s old stage makeup?” Kyungsoo was laughing, wiping at the boy’s eyelids so nothing irritated his eyes.

“Maybe,” He rocked on his heels, a small smirk on his face.

The elder was still laughing but he turned towards Jongin. “Junsun, this is Jongin and Taerin, his daughter.”

For the first time in Kyungsoo's life, he saw Junsun get shy. The boy dropped his head and giggled sweetly. “Hi.”

The two single fathers smiled, watching the two children naturally gravitate towards each other until they were face to face, smiling.

They sat down right on the kitchen floor, Junsun playing with Taerin’s pink shoes and Taerin playing with Junsun’s hair.

“How about that,” Jongin watched in awe, eyes smiling.

Kyungsoo felt his heart sore. Junsun wasn’t always the best at making friends, but it seems that they’ve hit it off immediately.

“Are you going to let him keep the makeup on?” Jongin’s voice broke Kyungsoo out of his stupor.

The elder’s eyebrows wrinkled and he was getting ready to fight. “Why? Do you have a problem with boys wearing makeup?”

“No, not at all,” Jongin chuckled. “I think it’s sweet. I was just worried about the lipstick on his eyelids.” He laughed, the noise full and hearty.

“Oh,” Kyungsoo sighed in relief. “Okay, good, I was ready to fight you.”

They sat down at the table, across from each other. “Why?” Jongin still had a humorous glint in his eye. “I’m gay, you know.”

Well, if there were about a billion things he had imagined Kim Jongin to say, that was definitely not one of them.

    “Huh?” Kyungsoo’s mouth hung open, not believing his ears.

“I’m into dudes.”

“,” Kyungsoo playfully smacked his arm. “I know what gay means. But, like, really?”

“Mhm,” Jongin smirked. “And I know you are too.”

Now Kyungsoo was really in shock. What the hell was going on?

“And how-how would you know that?” Kyungsoo stuttered.

Jongin laughed, as if the answer was really that obvious. “Well first of all, you wear, dare I say it, pretty gay things… Exhibit A, I’ve seen you wearing a shirt that says ‘I want a hotdog in my bun’ and also that one time they messed up our addresses and I got your package, which contained three pairs of underwear which had an arrow to the that said ‘insert here’. Not to mention we’ve been having a christmas decoration competition. I hate to go with stereotypes here, but no straight guy has as much style as you.” Jongin shrugged. “Oh, and I may have run into you at that gay bar last month but you didn’t recognize me.” He said it so nonchalantly.

The elder was at a loss for words. How did he miss all of that? And the underwear? Oh god. That’s embarrassing. He wants to yell. ‘It’s was a joke!’ but he keeps his mouth closed for the time being.

“It’s not a big deal, Kyungsoo.” Jongin laughed at the elder’s horrified expression.

He finally came to. “I know, I know, I just, God that’s embarrassing.” Kyungsoo wanted to hide under the table, but instead he ended up pink faced and laughing his heart out with Jongin.

“Do you actually wear those underwear?” Jongin asked between laughs, breathless.

“Maybe,” He quirked, then shrugged. “Yea, I mean, they're underwear, no one’s gonna see them.”

Jongin’s eyebrows turned up. “,” he winked.

“Jongin! The children!” he chided, a smack on the tan boy’s chest.

Jongin stood up from the table. “Speaking of, it’s almost time for me to bring Taerin to class.”

“!” Kyungsoo exclaimed. “I totally forgot to feed you.”

“Whoa, language, Do Kyungsoo,” Jongin lifted his lips mockingly.

Damn, he was too hot.

Kyungsoo microwaved the food quickly, setting the places at the dining room table.

    “Kids! Get in here!” Jongin yelled. “Food’s ready!”

With the giggles coming from down the hall, the men knew something was up. They should’ve known to keep an eye on them, because when the toddlers wobbled back into the kitchen, Taerin was also covered in bright makeup, and Junsun was clad in a new outfit. Which just happened to include a pair of Kyungsoo’s red lacy underwear around his head.

“Daddy!” Junsun exclaimed. “Me and Taerin found your hats!”

Kyungsoo turned red and facepalmed, a hysterical Jongin smacking the counter behind him.

Taerin smiled, revealing red lipstick smashed on her teeth. “Papa, can we go get your hats from home?” She laughed and jumped. “Junsun,” she pulled on his arm. “I think Papa has pink ones!”

The night ended with mischievous children and two single fathers laughing so hard they were red in the face.


 

WHEN kyungsoo woke up, Junsun was bouncing excitedly on the bed.

“Daddy! Daddy! Santa came!!” The toddler was yelling and throwing pillows.

The father poked his head out of the blankets, groaning when his son jumped and crashed down onto his stomach.

“Ugh,” he rubbed his eyes in attempt to wake himself up. With a sudden burst of energy, he grabbed the boy, tackling him onto the bed and tickling his pudgy stomach.

Junsun was wriggling and giggling, face turning red.

Eventually after Junsun had had enough, KYUNGSOO stopped and picked the boy up, carrying into the living room, making airplane noises. Junsun was shrieking in joy, arms flapping.

The living room was full of red and green presents, all nestled under the tree. KYUNGSOO plopped the boy down on the floor, kissing him on the head.

“Can I open them? Please?” Junsun bounced, sitting right in front of the packages.

“Go ahead sweetie,” KYUNGSOO sat on the couch, snapping pictures of the toddler with a smile, smirking at certain gifts.

The unwrapping seemed to go way too fast, paper and new toys piled around in just a few minutes. The father smiled and started trashing the ripped up paper.

“Daddy,” Junsun called from the floor. “Why don't you get presents?” The boy pouted, hauling himself up onto the couch next to his dad.

“Because I'm an adult,” kyungsoo smiled sadly. He hadn't gotten a present in years.

“Santa doesn't like adults?” The boy curled up into his side, the father’s hand instinctively going around the toddler’s small back.

“No, Santa likes adults, don't worry,” he smiled. “But Santa usually doesn't come to mommies and daddies because children deserve more gifts.”

Junsun frowned. “Do you get any gifts?”

“Well I got you,” KYUNGSOO said cheekily, kissing the boy on the cheek. Junsun giggled and hid his face in his father’s neck. “Hey Junsun,” KYUNGSOO roused the boy from his neck. “How does breakfast sound?”

“Yay!” He shot up and waddled to the kitchen, WAITING for the meal.

The elder whipped up some pancakes. While looking through the kitchen window, he caught sight of Jongin walking across his yard.

Oh god. Why was he coming? Kyungsoo panicked. Ever since their dinner the other night, he had been too afraid to even look out the door. He was too afraid of his feelings. The man was just so hot and Kyungsoo was so very lonely. That was definitely a lethal combination.

The doorbell rang and the elder tried to compose himself before pulling it open.

“Hey Kyungsoo,” the man greeted, nose pink and white hat pulled over his ears.

“Hi jongin, come in,” KYUNGSOO furrowed his eyebrows but let the man in.

“Hey Junsun!” Jongin greeted upon entering, scooping the boy up.

KYUNGSOO felt himself twitch a little, but relaxed while watching his son cling to the neighbor.

“Hi!!” HE smiled as Jongin put him back onto the chair. Kyungsoo wiped his hands on the towel and clicked off the stove.

“Merry Christmas,” Jongin took a small box out of his coat pocket and handed it.

The brunette’s face turned red and a smile broke out on his face. “Merry Christmas.” He said cheerily, THEN his eyes widened. “Oh my god, Jongin, I didn't even get you anything, I didn't think-”

“It's okay,” the man chuckled. “Just open it!”

Kyungsoo ripped open the package greedily, HEART beating hard in his chest. He carefully took the top off, shocked to find two silver bracelets, one adult size and one child size. They were made of just a thin metal bar, a small heart engraved in the center.

“Jongin,” KYUNGSOO felt choked up, taking the bands out. “Thank you.”

It was quiet for a moment, Kyungsoo staring at the jewelry. “These are gorgeous.”

“I saw them in the store yesterday and thought of you,” Jongin blushed. “I had to buy them.”

“I don't know how to thank you, Jongin.”

“You don't have to thank me,” he shrugged.

“I-i” KYUNGSOO stuttered, unable to fathom how thoughtful Jongin was being. The barely even knew each other and the man was being more caring than almost anyone he's ever met. “Would you like to stay? We don't do anything today other than just hang around.” He blushed. “I mean, unless you have something to do today.”

“No, Taerin and I usually just hang around as well,” Jongin smirked. “So we'd love to stay.”

The smaller beamed. “I was just about to make some pancakes.”

“Oh hell yea, I'm definitely staying,” they laughed and Jongin toed his shoes back on to go get Taerin. Kyungsoo stared out the window, watching the tan man trudge in the snow back to his own house. His heart was beating hard as if to warn him.

Junsun poked his head out from the side of the room with a cheeky grin. “You like him, don't you daddy?”

KYUNGSOO’s eyebrows furrowed and a small smile broke out on his face. “I think I do, Junsun. I think I do.”

 

2 years later~

Kyungsoo woke up with a groan, rolling over in bed until his face met warm skin. His chapped lips met a clammy chest, drawing an identical groan out of the body next to his.

The elder rubbed his eyes, sitting up. His shirt hung loosely around his collarbones, his hair sticking up in arbitrary directions. An arm reached out and wrapped around his thin waist, pulling him back into the blankets.

“Morning,” jongin’s voice crackled and his face was swollen. He blearily opened his eyes, meeting Kyungsoo’s.

“Morning sweetheart,” the elder greeted back, pushing their foreheads together and kissing Jongin chastely on his pink lips.

Kyungsoo grabbed his hand thusly, pulling him sleepily from the bed with a grin. They walked hand in hand to the living room which was covered in presents and decorations that they had put out that previous night for the kids.

The sun had yet to shine and the kids were still asleep so they sat down together on the couch, KYUNGSOO slightly on Jongin’s lap, THEIR mouths slotted against each other's. Their light make out lasting just over two minutes before there was a loud pounding from the hall.

“Santaaaaaaaa-” two voices screamed and the ran into the room. Kyungsoo pulled off his boyfriend, standing up and greeting the children.

The men had been dating for just about 11 months, their one year anniversary coming on New Year’s Eve. Christmas was quite the experience with two of them in the house. Jongin hadn't fully moved into Kyungsoo’s house and still stayed in his own home on most weekdays but to put it simply, Jongin’s own bed wasn’t being used too often.

Taerin and Junsun skipped into the living room, yelling loudly about their presents.

“Morning baby,” Kyungsoo pulled his son into his lap, the boy squirming away “too old” to sit in his father’s lap anymore. He was six and very very active.

“Can I open my presents pleaseeee?” He begged, standing up and waddling across the room. Kyungsoo’s heart swelled and the sight of Taerin and Junsun sitting next to each other. They had grown up so fast and the two men wanted to both stop time and speed it up at the same time.

“Go ahead,” the lovers sat next to each other on the couch, watching their individual children unwrap the dozens of presents. The toddlers were hitting each other with wads of wrapping paper, giggles filling the room.

“Papa, a ball fell off the tree,” the little girl shimmied on her stomach under the Christmas tree, grabbing the fallen ornament.

Jongin felt his throat close up. “Can you give it to me, sweetie?” The girl walked over, handing the ornament to her sweaty father.

Kyungsoo looked at it skeptically. “I don’t recognize that ornament. Was it a part of one of Taerin’s presents?” Kyungsoo asked, turning towards his lover.

Jongin swallowed. “A-actually,” the younger stuttered. “That one’s for you.”

The elder was a bit confused but it was a pretty ornament so he smiled. “Oh,” a pause. “Thank you.”

As Kyungsoo looked at the gift, the children were running around, chasing one another with their new airplane toys.

Jongin turned to look at the kids, purposely shoving his shoulder at his boyfriend making the ornament fly from his hand and fall onto the floor with a hard noise.

“Oh ,” Kyungsoo swore, leaning down to pick it up. Confusion fell over his face as he saw it perfectly split down the middle and Jongin watched with wide, waiting eyes. The shorter picked the fallen present up, mouth falling open as he saw the contents of the seemingly broken ornament. The inside held a small black case. Kyungsoo fell silent, looking over to Jongin with open eyes.

The younger grabbed the ornament from his love’s hands grabbing the black box and getting off the couch to kneel on a single knee.

Kyungsoo gasped, eyes welling with tears.

“Soo,” The man started, his own throat closing up. “I’m in love with you. I knew for the longest time that I just had to be with you.” Both of their tears flew freely. “I tried so hard to get your attention with those stupid Christmas lights, which we both know you completely outdid me” They both chuckled through the tears. “But anyway, I still can’t believe that I got such an amazing relationship out of it and I wouldn’t change a single thing. The situation was perfect and I couldn’t ask for anything better. You are the most loving, sweet, and beautiful man I’ve ever met and I can’t believe I get to call you mine.” He paused, eyes smiling. “So why not make it official?” His hands shook. “Do Kyungsoo, will you marry me?”

The short man sobbed, hand over his mouth. “Of course, Jong, of course.”

The silver band was slipped around his sweaty finger and they collapsed into each other, unbelievable joy filling their hearts.

“I love you,” Kyungsoo slipped out between desperate kisses, lips pressed tightly to his fiancé’s.

“I love you too” he whispered back, pressing their foreheads together. The emotional moment was short lived as a loud crash came from the hallway.

“Daddy! Taerin broke my airplane!” Junsun cried.

The two men looked at each other, smiles gracing their faces. They chuckled and got up together, walking towards the children.

As they walked, Kyungsoo’s hand clad with the added accessory felt a bit heavier, but his heart felt about a million times lighter.