Chapter 1

Haunting Past

“We all wear masks, and the time comes when we cannot remove them without removing some of our own skin.”

― André Berthiaume

Chapter 1

Athena was her stage name. A way to hide her true self, just like the sometimes brightly colored masks she wore. Without these things, Athena would not have been able to overcome her insecurities and become that accomplished author that she was. Her true self was not something she wanted exposed. Nobody would care if they knew the real her. Athena’s true identity was a closely guarded secret of her publishing company. Not even her agent knew her true identity.

Athena smiled brightly, using both hands to receive her latest book from the next fan. She was at a fan signing event, signing her stage name for those who helped her gain her fame. They would be the first to leave if I ever took off the mask, Athena thought to herself sadly while bowing her head in farewell to one fan and smiling at the next. They’re loyal to the mask and the person I become when I wear it, not to me. As the line continued to move, Athena greeted each fan as enthusiastically as the last. Once the last book had been signed and the fans seated, Athena stood and was handed a microphone.

“Thank you to all my fans that came here today! Without you all to stand behind me and support me, I wouldn’t be here today!” The crowd cheered as Athena paused. She smiled brightly and continued, “As my thanks to you, I’m ready to announce my official fandom’s name!”

Athena walked over to a rope that hung near the edge of the stage. With another huge smile, she grabbed the rope with both hands and pulled with all her strength to release the banner showing the name chosen. Expecting to hear cheers, she turned, confused at the gasps of horror, only to scream in terror herself. Hanging in front of the banner, was a mannequin covered in blood with a rope around its neck. Painted over the fandom name and logo was the word murderer.

~<+>~

Months had passed since the incident at her fan sign event. Athena halted promotions of her newest book right after to have time to rest. Seeing the mannequin hanging brought back memories she tried so hard to forget. Memories that still filled her nights with terror and pain. With a soft sigh, she slowly lifted herself from her sofa and went into the kitchen to grab a drink. While pouring herself a cup of coffee, her phone began to vibrate on the counter nearby. Flashing on the screen was the name of her little sister. Her finger hovered over the ignore button but she paused. Realizing she couldn’t keep ignoring her sister’s calls, she groaned and slide her finger across the screen to answer the still buzzing phone.

“Hello?” Athena said softly

“Ashley!” an excited voice nearly screamed. Athena – Ashley – pulled the phone away and winced before bringing it back to her ear, “I’m so glad you answered! How are you doing? How’s studying in Korea going? Mom and I were thinking about coming to visit you soon. When’s your next break?”

Panic made Ashley’s chest tighten for a second before she relaxed. They always said they wanted to visit but never made the effort. Her secret was still safe from her family. “I’m not taking winter classes this year so I’m off right before Christmas and I don’t go back to school until March. You do realize that visiting is pretty expensive with the plane tickets, right?”

“I know but hopefully Mom follows through this time. If not, I’m hoping to have enough saved by February to visit on my own. I miss my older sister!”

“I miss you, too, Heather. How’s your high school going?”

Ashley grabbed her cup of coffee and walked back to her living room, curling up on the sofa while listening to her baby sister go on about the troubles of math and the latest rumors flying around the school. They continued to talk for a little while longer before Heather had to go. It was almost midnight in the United States and she had a test the next day. Ashley ended the call and smiled to herself while sipping her slightly cooled coffee.

Her family thought she came to South Korea to attend college. That was partially true but in reality; she travelled to the foreign country to sign a contract with a South Korean publishing company for a book she had submitted right before graduating high school. The contract was for a five book series, three of which have been published and the fourth that was currently sitting partially started on her hard drive. Ashley’s fears and insecurities led her to create the persona of Athena, the masked author. The publishing company’s CEO loved the idea and wrote into the contract that her identity would never be revealed as the mystery surrounding it would help increase sales. Both the CEO and Ashley underestimated the appeal and her success was almost immediate. Already a few South Korean movie companies have submitted bids to turn her books into movies.

As much as she missed her siblings, Ashley couldn’t have her family visit her here. The risk of being exposed as the masked author Athena was too great. Her entire world would crumble if she were ever revealed to be plain Jane Ashley. Her smile faded as thoughts of being uncovered raced around in her mind until a knock on her door brought her out of her musings. She stood and walked to the door quickly, opening it with a puzzled expression. Who could be knocking on her door in the middle of the day?

Standing in front of her door was her neighbor-from-across-the-hall’s son, Taec Yeon. He was very handsome with un-styled dark hair that fell just above his chocolate eyes. She noticed that his broad shoulders nearly filled the door way. “Can I help you?”

“Do you mind if I come in for a second?” Taec Yeon glanced behind him at his mother’s apartment door, “I have a question slash favor to ask and I don’t want Mom to know.” Ashley stepped aside wordlessly and gestured for him to enter. “Thanks!”

She led him into the living room and offered him a seat on the sofa, “What’s your question?”

“My mom said you’ve watched her pup and took care of her apartment the last time she travelled, right?”

“Yeah…?”

He smiled, “Well, I was hoping to surprise my mom with a trip for our birthdays this month and wanted to make sure I had everything covered. Would you be able to keep an eye on her apartment and watch her pup for the last week?”

“The last week of this month?” Taec Yeon nodded in confirmation. “Sure. I don’t have anything going on after Christmas. Is her passcode still the same?”

“Yeah, it’s still 1227. Thank you for this! This will be the first time I’ve been able to take Mom on vacation and I don’t want her to have to worry about anything.”

“It’s no problem at all. I think it’s sweet that you’re setting this up for her. Is Ji Hyen joining you guys?”

“No. She’s slammed at work and can’t take any time off.”

“That’s too bad. I know she was upset when her and y’all’s mom left for their trip last time and you couldn’t make it.”

Taec Yeon laughed, “Y’all’s? What part of the US are you from?”

Ashley chuckled, a little embarrassed that her accent slipped out, “My dad was in the Navy so I moved all over. That last place I lived was ia, though.”

“Like near Washington, D.C.?”

“Southeastern.” Ashley replied, shaking her head. “About 2 hours south of Richmond.”

“Aah, okay.” Taec Yeon stood and Ashley followed. He reached out and shook Ashley’s hand firmly, “Thanks again for this! Mind if I get your number so I can text you with more details. I’m still not 100% sure what day we’re leaving but I’ll text you as soon as I find out.”

“Sure thing!” Ashley recited her number to him as he added her to his contacts. “I’ll be sure to keep this quiet to when I see your mom.”

“Thanks again for the help…” He paused, “I don’t actually know what your name is.”

“My name is Ashley.” It was her turn to pause, “If you didn’t know my name, what did you save my contact under?”

Taec Yeon smiled and showed Ashley her contact page on his phone. In place of a name was “Neighbor Girl”. They both laughed before giving their good byes. Ashley walked Taec Yeon to the door and closed it tightly behind him, the automatic lock chiming as it engaged. After settling back down on her sofa and covering with a blanket, she realized just how relaxed she was. It was surprising to her that a quick conversation with him helped take her mind off of everything that had happened recently. She smiled softly before closing her eyes and falling asleep without a pill for the first time since the fan sign event.

As she slept, a letter slid into her apartment from underneath her door. Written on the envelope in blood was her name, her real name, and the word “murderer”.