Final

and if you jumped off a cliff I guess I would too

  

Taekwoon hates Christmas. He hates the swirling green and red lights across evergreen trees, and he hates the long lineups into malls, the abundance of Christmas movies and endless squalling of Christmas carols. He hates it particularly when dragged to their local Christmas market by non other by a certain Lee Jaehwan.  

 

"It's cold," Taekwoon tries his best not to whine, but his voice comes out in a soft whistle at the back of his throat, his breath comes out in a puff of white, "why didn't you just bring Hongbin?"  

 

"Hongbin's still studying for finals," Jaehwan pulls at the sleeve of Taekwoon's wool coat, "I already bought the tickets a month ago."  

 

Taekwoon shoulders on through the lineup, adjusting the beanie that blankets his ears. He did agree to accompany Jaehwan, in which he almost regrets after finding himself in a long line of families and obnoxious couples. The families are fine, but the couples are irritating to say the least. Too many insecure teenage boys kissing their girlfriends at a pace of thirty times per hour- yes, he has counted. As they approach the entrance, the gate at the front is lined with white lights, elaborate with soft curls of light. 

 

"Pretty isn't it?" Jaehwan turns back and smiles, reflecting the gleam of his teeth and tapering brown hues of his eyes. Taekwoon immediately looks down, a heat rising to the apples of his cheeks. Yes, pretty. 

 

"I don't like Christmas," Taekwoon manages through his teeth, and Jaehwan laughs. A twinkle of softness that he doesn't hear often outside of his usual loud antics. Taekwoon likes Jaehwan like this, as much as he would never say so out loud. He likes Jaehwan with a soft voice and fleeting sweet laughter, and a smile that makes the bright entrance lights a far cry from dazzling.   

 

"I'm sure there's hot chocolate inside," Jaehwan takes his hand as they pass through the gates, the line dispersing into a monotonous crowd. Taekwoon notices how Jaehwan keeps grip on his hand. He doesn't pull away (he doesn't want to get lost in the crowd after all). They fall into step with each other as they reach the opening of a large plastic pitched tent, adorned with red and green colours and wooden signs.  

 

"Is that it?" Taekwoon's eyes narrow sideways to the young man next to him.  

 

"Okay Grumpy," Jaehwan tugs at his hand, "if you don't like it, we can go home." 

 

Taekwoon feels a wash of guilt flitter through his chest and he follows Jaehwan through the opening, the smell of damp wood chips and cinnamon hits him first. An array of ugly Christmas sweaters hang neatly in one stall, with booth of trinkets of every kind and wood carvings right next door. Jaehwan pulls him right to the bright awful sweaters and points to the first one on the rack.  

 

"Look," Jaehwan grins, "this one's you."  

 

Taekwoon fights the smile that creeps into his cheeks at the embroidered Grinch, giant sack thrown over his shoulder and all. He settles with a light knock of his knuckle onto Jaehwan's forehead. "Not funny."  

 

Jaehwan finds it hilarious. He's still snickering by the time they reach a small café at the end of the boothsJaehwan raises an eyebrow and jerks his head towards the lineup, the corner of his lips curved upwards.  

 

The coffee is certainly overpriced, and definitely not what Taekwoon would normally pay but Jaehwan insists that they might as well make the best of their experience. His latte is warm, blooming in the coldness of his fingers and he sighs. Jaehwan opts for a hot chocolate, extra chocolate.   

 

They don't exactly need to hold hands again, but they do. Taekwoon isn't sure who took who's hand, but he doesn't mind it either way. Jaehwan's hand is warm from the heat of his hot chocolate and sweet like the crinkles in his eyes when he smilesThey sip their drinks as they filter through scarves and overpriced jewelry Taekwoon knows he can buy elsewhere. There isn't much to do at the market, other than just strange trinkets and items neither of them would buy on any occasion.  

 

"We should go through the maze," Jaehwan says, his voice dejected. The market itself is not exactly a trip to the North Pole as he must have expected, but hope still twinges at the end of his suggestion. Taekwoon hums and follows him out of the tent towards the maze of lights. The entrance is extravagant, stretched with a constellation of Christmas lights and colours 

 

"It's pretty," Taekwoon says. Half truth, the other half to see the brightening of Jaehwan's eyes and effortless smile. A blooming heat spreads across Taekwoon's cheeks and he ducks his chin towards his chest.  

 

"I'm glad you think so," Jaehwan says, and leads Taekwoon into the gate of lights.  

 

By the time they're halfway through the maze, droplets of rain start hitting the top of Taekwoon's head. He gazes up, past the large glowing hedges and another droplet hits him square in the forehead.  

 

"It's raining," he says.  

 

This time Jaehwan doesn't hold back the pout that tugs at his lips, "Jeez." 

 

"We should hurry," Taekwoon loops a hand around Jaehwan's elbow and tugs him forward as the rain starts falling down thicker, dampening his hair against his forehead. He begins to regret his decision to wear his only coat that had no hood – and even in this rain Jaehwan is laughing. His fur lined-hood covers nearly half his face, but it doesn't hide his smile.  

 

"You look ridiculous," Jaehwan brushes a wet hand through Taekwoon's equally wet hair. Taekwoon tries not to blush, but he always does when it comes to Jaehwan. He hates how Jaehwan nearly has him at the palm of his hand. If Jaehwan wanted to go on a road trip halfway across the world during the school year, Taekwoon would (after a lot of grumbling and whining) follow him – he knows he'd follow him to the ends of the world if he could.  

 

He doesn't pull back when Jaehwan presses their lips together, a hand resting against his right cheek. Their kiss is cold and wet, but the softness of Jaehwan's lips pulls him back into a warmness that spreads from his cheeks to the beating in his chest. Rain dots his skin from above and none of that matters- nothing really does when they drown themselves into each other.  

 

They reach the exit of the maze half jogging, and half laughing the whole way through, hair and clothes soaked to the bone.  

 

"Let's go somewhere else," Jaehwan says, no longer disappointed but now shivering, "This place wasn't that great." 

 

Taekwoon nods, but he disagrees. Anywhere with Jaehwan is enough for him, even if it means going to overpriced markets and getting drenched in the rain. Christmas doesn't seem so bad anymore. Not when Taekwoon spends it here.  

 


bean-p

twitter // curious cat