:: Bad Luck

Somewhere along the way, we found love

College, it was the time where you had every right to be whoever you wanted to be and people around you could give two s about it. Being in highschool, it was different, you had parents and teachers to always in your business about what you wore, how you acted, the way you performed in school… But college is so much more different! It was about the freedom of making your own choices and no one there to direct your future for you. That’s why this year I want it to be different. I want to finally be able to make the decisions I could never make back in my old hometown Busan. Now was the choice to join in clubs, go out with friends without asking for permission and not having a curfew, and possibly to even find love along the way.

“I still can’t believe you dyed your hair blonde.” Seulgi opens the building to our first class of the day. “You still have some spots you missed on the back. Ah, you should’ve waited till you got back to Seoul and have me done your hair.” She states with distaste and plays with my locks.

“Seulgi, were you listening at all what I was saying?”

“Sorry I was too distracted by your regretful choice you chose to do over the summer.” She sighed dreary of my ends.

I snatch my hair away from her, “First of all, it’s not that bad, second of all there’s something called retouching!”

“Ah, my best friend is going to be bald.”

Sending her a glare, I turn away from her unwanted petty. She giggles, following me and hooks her arm with mine. “C’mon, you know I’ve always been rudely sarcastic ever since high school.”

“Remind me why I let you be my friend?”

“Because you know I’m the only person that can keep up with you and your bad luck with boys.”
She laughs and pokes your side. “ C’mon Yeri, you’re finally out of Busan and in the city everyone would kill to live in. You have to stop thinking and planning out what your life this year will be like and just go with the flow what life throws at you. You can’t expect every cute boy you run into to be prince charming.”

“But I have to plan it out Seulgi, what if I face another year of being single? I’m already twenty years old and not once has a guy ever been attracted to me.”

“Boys are attracted to you, you’re just picky.”

“And every boy that has been attracted to me ever either has been a creep, middle aged, or had no goal in life. Meanwhile you over here have already found your soulmate, I’m here stuck being a cat lady.”

“You’re over exaggerating. How about you do something different this year. Not once have you ever had the balls to approach a guy. Why don’t you try? It’s how I met Namjoon. I literally hit him up on facebook and was like “I like you, let’s go on a date.””


___________________________________

 

 

Maybe Seulgi was right. Maybe I should try to be the one to initiate the first move to a guy. I have had too many chances slipped by me, always expecting the guy to make a move on me, why shouldn’t I be the first? It’s the twenty first century too, it’s not like I’ll be stoned by an entire village for hitting up a guy for some coffee. I definitely got this, I’m decent on looks and have the personality that boys would fall for.

But the question is, who? I seriously don’t know who is single in this school let alone cute… Also  not a creep.

As I scroll down my facebook friends, (Or should I say potential candidates) I look over from one boy to another on my phone.

Walking towards to where I expect to be the cafeteria, I bump into someone. Well, someone and their tray of food that is. Crashing into the person, I witness their tray of food completely splatter onto their shirt. People around us stopped to see what just happened and I hadn’t been this embarrassed since highschool when I tripped and fell, holding a dissected frog and have it land onto…

Jeon Jungkook.

His eyes were closed and I could tell he was holding in his rage. Macaroni had smothered all over his shirt and he was drenched in cranberry juice. All I could do was stare and feel how slowly my jaw was dropping. I can’t believe it, the school’s emo boy who I embarrassed in front of our class sophomore year class, somehow yet again was able to be embarrassed by me after four years, but this time worst...

My eyes dilated and I could barely form words.

Jeon Jungkook. Let me tell you he was just all bad news. We never talked but were always in the one class together somehow since middle school. When I heard he was going to the same University as me, I tried my best to avoid any contact with him whatsoever.

He was known for being the emo looking guy who was a loner and involved himself into fights inside and outside of school. He had black hair and a fringe that covered his eyes. A piercing on his lips and underneath his left arm sleeve was masked with tattoos. Rumors from our school beat up a boy so bad that the guy had been in a coma currently for three years. Others say he’s in a extreme gang/cult and had committed multiple crimes in the school. Although those were rumors and I shouldn’t believe itm with the attitude and vibe he gives, I refused to get any closer to him.

He opened his eyes and once he saw me, I swore my heart stopped that moment.

“You-”

“I’m sorry!” I quickly grab napkins from the table beside us and try to brush the food off him, but really I was making everything worse. I’m pretty sure this will leave a stain now “Oh my god I’m so sorry!” I panicked.

“I-”

“Oh my god here. I’m so sorry, here take my money and buy yourself a new lunch! I don’t need the change just take it! Take it all!” I shoved him my money I took from my pocket and placed it  in his hands, quickly taking his tray and run off the opposite direction from him.


_______________________

“ I can’t believe you managed to pull another stunt like that!” Seulgi’s boyfriend laugh out loud, unable to hold it in.

“Namjoon!” Seulgi slapped her boyfriend’s arm, indicating he was not making anything any better.

“I just…. Oh Yeri, you are really the worst around males. Maybe you should just give up and go for women instead-”

“Namjoon! You idiot!” She kicked her boyfriend in the shin.

“YAH!--” He bit his lips and refrained from yelling.

“What he means is that you have been unlucky around boys but that doesn’t mean you should give up Yeri.”

“I literally am the worst. I should just follow Namjoon’s advice. “ I mumbled against the table in defeat.”

“That’s the spirit.” He commented.

“Yeah, now if you’ll excuse me, I’m stealing Seulgi from you.” I sit up and grab Seulgi’s arm.

“Yah yah!” He argued.

“That’s enough you two! No one is turning lesbian and no one is claiming whoever I be with!” She yelled, pulling away. “Yeri, so what you had one incident with a guy.. For the second time, it was just another accident, it doesn’t indicate your future how things will turn with every guy. And Namjoon is just being a . Don’t listen to him. I don’t listen to half the things he says anyways and I’m his girlfriend.”

“Hey-”

“The point is Yeri.” Seulgi grabs my hand in comfort, “You’re a cute, smart, and funny girl. Any guy would kill to want to be your boyfriend. I promise you that.You shouldn’t give up. Besides, I managed to set you up with a dinner date with one of my good friends who is eager to meet you.”

“You what?!” I choked my words.

“Oh who is the poor boy?” Namjoon cried for the boy.


__________________________


From what Seulgi had informed about the guy, he seemed like a great candidate. His name was Park Jimin and he was the soccer team leader of our school. According to Seulgi, He broke up with his girlfriend last year and was ready to move on according to Seulgi. He’s known for being a class clown and really outgoing. Also with the picture Seulgi showed me of him, he seemed perfect boyfriend material as well.

Now here I am, at Cafe Tomo, waiting to meet him. I have to thank Seulgi later on for the arranged date and if this goes well later on for us two, I will literally clean our dorm for the entire semester to thank her.

Squealing in my seat. I take out my compact mirror and gussy up to make sure I looked presentable for him.


I then see the waiter approach my table and quickly look up. “Hi, I’ll just have a water--”


The universe must really be against me to have Jeon Jungkook be my waiter for my first date. I could feel my eyelids twitch and my heart began to race in terror.

“J-J-Jungkook-”

“Just water for you? Are you expecting any other company?”

“Uh-- Yeah but he’s coming in later…”

“I see. One water it is.” He says, leaving the table and goes to the kitchen to fetch the drink. Oh my god, what if he throws the water at me his way here? For payback? Oh no, I can’t look drenched in front of my date…

As Jungkook came back, he calmy just placed the glass of water in front of me without anymore to say. “Were you ready to order or did you need a few minutes?”

“Uh… I guess I’ll just order for the two of us. My friend told me what he likes…” I quickly look over the menu and flip page by page. “ Two chicken fettucinis will do.”

Jungkook nodded noting the order down on his notepad and took the menu from me.
But before I let him leave I quickly stop him.

“Hey- I just wanted to say… I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. It was rude of me to have run away like that.”

To my surprise, Jungkook laughs at my statement. But what confused me was why he was laughing? He could laugh? This was the first time I ever saw the scary boy smile.

“Aren’t you a little too late to be apologizing? You still have that incident with the frogs to apologize for as well.”

“I-I Well yeah... “ I linger away. “I dunno, I guess I’m feeling braver today. Also I’m kind of hoping You don’t poison my food.”

Yet again, he lets out a laugh and shakes his head as if there was nothing I shouldn’t even apologize for.

“It’s fine. I forgive you.” He says simply and leaves.


I can’t believe I’m saying this but Jeong Jungkook is actually pretty cute.


________________________________




It wasn’t until five hours had passed by, I had finally figured out I was stood up by my date. He hadn’t answered any of his calls or messages I sent him. I literally sat here the entire day, wasting my night for a guy who stood me up. It was already past closing too. Every time the waiters asked if I needed to put the food to-go, I always told them that he’d be here… But wow do I feel stupid…

Grabbing my fork, I play around with my food, looking into my meal with the most disappointed look on my face. This feeling was as bad since I got stood up by my prom date, just sitting and waiting for prince charming to come and having my expected happy ending, but in the end I never got that experience.

Embarrassed, Humiliated, and pathetic. Was all I felt.

I literally am the worst with men and the univest proved it.



“ Yeri…” I hear that Jungkook approach my table.

“I know. I get it, it’s time for you guys to close.” I raised my voice all of a sudden to him. “Can’t you be kind enough to leave me alone!? I already feel like the biggest loser right now.” my voice cracked and began sobbing, looking at the untouched meal for Jimin. As much as I didn’t want tot cry, it was even much harder for me to hold it all in.

“What is wrong with me? Why does it seem so impossible for me to have one guy, just one guy, to like me? Is it because I dye my hair odd colors? Is it because I’m clumsy? I’m ugly? I’m a joke?”I began sobbing with my brows knitting together gradually. Jungkook hadn’t said a single word but only stood there,watching me in my most pathetic state.

“All I wanted was a nice dinner with a nice guy and we’d booth have a nice date, and possibly we’d have a nice happy ending! Is it too much for me to ask for!?” I place my hands against my eyes and allow myself to sob.

Sobbing onto my palms, I heard the chair in front of me being pulled back. Opening my eyes, I see Jungkook eat the plate of cold fettuccine in front of me. I was so confused what was happening, why would he do that?

“What are you doing?” I sniff, wiping the tear that was streaming down my cheek.

Jungkook chewed quietly and bit into another serving of the pasta. Was he trying to make me feel better?


“Jungkook…”

“You know, I always liked your hair. I don’t think it looks dumb. “ He shrugged and proceeded eating. “ Sure, you’re clumsy, but behind all that I know you have a good heart. I also don’t think you’re ugly or a joke. You’re cute and I’m surprised you don’t see that in yourself.”

His words were so unexpected, not once have I ever thought that Jeon Jungkook was able to say such sweet things. Let alone to the girl who always manages to ruin his day. It was a completely different side to Jungkook I wasn’t used to. Sure he had black emo hair, he had intimidating piercings, and had his left arm was covered in tattoos… But how could I have been so blind to not see underneath all those parts of him, Jeong Jungkook was the most big hearted boy I’d ever met.

I sniffed a little, “You really think so?” I furrowed my brows, “I’ll kick you if you’re lying. “

He begins to grow silent yet again and proceeds to eat the meal in front of him. I think this had to be the kindest thing anyone had ever done for me. What shocked me was it was Jeon Jungkook, the creepy emo boy from highschool who I threw a dead frog to. I guess you really shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.


“Hey Jungkook?” I managed to calmed down the hiccuping.

He looked up to give me his full attention.

“Thank you.” I managed to say clearly, knowing he would hear me loud and clear. We both look at each other, meeting each other’s gaze clearly. And I was actually able to smile at him too. Not once was I able to ever be comfortable around a guy until now. And it was nice. It actually felt like a nice date with a nice boy. Sure it wasn’t what I had imagined, but I wouldn’t wish for a different moment than this.

“It’s too bad you weren’t my date Jungkook. I think I would’ve enjoyed it so much more.”

An awkward pause is between us and not a single sound was made. Was I being too much? Oh god, did I make him uncomfortable?!

“You know Jungkook! I was just kidding!”

“Aren’t we already on one?”

The only slightest sound you could hear after that was me swallowing my food.


“What do you mean?”

“ I mean we’re kind of already on one? Isn’t this is a date? ” The corners of curve up to the most genuine smile I had ever seen from a boy.

Was this what Seulgi wanted me to do? That opportunity to be bold and snatch the guy?
Well.. I guess it’s now or never right? Why not?

“Then let’s make this a casual thing from now on then.”I bring up,
“From now on, Let’s date.”