1 / 1

over & over

 Park Jinyoung was twenty, on the cusp of being twenty-one, when Im Jaebum first met him.

His body was also bruised and broken, bloody and twisted.

A boar gored him.

Jaebum had sighed, running his fingers over what he could only assume was once a pretty face. He always got stuck with these ugly tasks, “Get up now. There is no point in staying in there.”

 

*

 

The second time Jaebum had met Jinyoung, he was the same age but wasn’t quite as mangled as the last time. No, just his neck this time. Choked and gagged.

He doesn’t have time to do a background check on Jinyoung this time, brought him to this state, so he rips the boys soul out and sends him on his way.

(Jaebum learns later, and hums. e. Forced into it.)

 

*

 

The third time, he hadn’t even reached sixteen.

 

Jaebum runs his gloved fingers along the photo albums. Father, mother, son.

The father who was about to be forcefully taken away, the mother who couldn’t bear it and cracked, and the son who would no doubt join his father once his birthday reached.

Group suicide, and Jaebum leads the family out of the home as the alarms ring, Jinyoung’s fingers brushing against his coat.

 

*

 

“You’re there.”

Jaebum stops.

“Death, right? Aren’t you appearing a bit early?” Jinyoung is standing on the chair, smiling at the doorway. “Were you curious and decide to check out the show before it ended? See the light in someones eye before it flickers and fades?”

He doesn’t respond. Doesn’t know how.

Im Jaebum watches Park Jinyoung laugh, say that he hopes Death-ssi enjoys the show before finally kicking the chair away. He leads Jinyoung out of his home with a hand on the small of his back.

 

* *

 

Jaebum’s eyes flit from the photo that was attached to the initial email to the name, age, occupation. He heaves a sigh, far too over dramatic considering the only being hanging around his office was Nora. Nora who was lounging around in the little bit of sunlight Jaebum allowed to filter in through the mostly shut blinds.

“Again.” He mumbled, marking the date in his calender. To give him a reminder of the upcoming event.

Not that he will be forgetting.

This will be the fifth time, and leaning back, chair squeaking a small protest, Jaebum wonders if his boss has a sick sense of humour. Also wonders if the other man on top has one.

Jinyoung has never reached twenty-two. And once September fourth rolls on by, he will continue that same streak.

Jaebum feels guilty. Almost.

It’s strange.

 

*

 

They’re having fun and Jaebum desperately wants to smile watching the group of teenagers scurry around in hopes to take control of the ball. He wants to enjoy the little bit of happiness before one of them slips into Jaebum’s world. But-

“What’s wrong?”

 

But he can’t. He’s bothered. And Youngjae has been staring at him since they arrived at the soccer field ten minutes ago, sipping his iced coffee.

 

It’s downright unsettling, between having his junior scrutinize him and the weird clenching in his stomach whenever he thinks about September 4th. He doesn’t like it, doesn’t like thinking about having to approach the vehicle, but he’s going to have to. The date for requesting time off for that time period had long passed. So he’s stuck.

“Nothing.” Jaebum grits out, the soccer ball being kicked in their direction.

Youngjae hums, takes another small sip of overpriced and not very strong caffeine, “You're bouncing your leg though.”

Jaebum looks down as a boy runs over to them and , Youngjae is right. “It’s none of your concern.” He huffs, immediately stopping as the boy turns to yell insults at his friends and lob the ball back.

“Hyung-”

“It’s Jaebum-ssi.”

Youngjae’s rolling his eyes, Jaebum doesn’t have to be looking at him to know that. He’s concentrating all of his willpower to not start bouncing his leg again, trying not to think of the approaching date, and focus on the coming task at hand. September 4th isn’t going to be different, it’s going to be exactly the same as all other traffic incidents. He’s going to approach one of two crushed vehicles, peer in through the broken glass and sigh at the mess.

He doesn’t have any attachments, so it will be simple. A simple grab and go. Like everyone else. Park Jinyoung is not special and will remain just another name and soul on the list.

“Jaebum-ssi, I think we’re needed.”

Once again Jaebum was snapped out of his daze by Youngjae and he whips his head to look at the boy, confused briefly, but Youngjae’s small nod towards the soccer field reminds him.

Oh, that’s right.

“Also, while I realize that we’re reapers, you don’t have to look scary,” Youngjae’s chiming as they wander to the scene, “You should probably stop clenching your jaw. It’s not healthy anyways.”

 

*

 

Jaebum’s losing his mind. He needs to file a vacation request immediately. Work is stressing him out to near insane levels and that was the exact reason he was sitting on his couch, Nora curled into a small ball against his stomach, and watching Jinyoung break down into a fit of tears on screen.

He can’t believe he’s doing this. Has been doing this for the past six hours. Binge watching one of Jinyoung’s dramas. Each episode is an hour and fifteen, and he’s almost done the fifth episode. There’s a total of 12.

He could quit now, but as the soundtrack starts playing, the preview is rolling along with credits, he’s invested. He’s invested in every part of this awful story line, characters who he wants to personally to the afterlife, and the ing music.

So Jaebum stays rooted in his couch, only getting up to retrieve the chicken from the tall but young delivery boy (His name’s Yugyeom, has forty four years left to live, he drowns while on vacation in Thailand,) and to go relieve himself.

He half hates himself as he’s finished the series.

 

*

 

Youngjae’s staring at him again.

“What?” Jaebum barks, in no mood to deal with the younger examining him like he was some sort of math equation.

“Hyung, you look...” He pauses, twiddling his thumbs on the table, “Really terrible.” He finishes lamely, and nips at his bottom lip, marring it even more.

They’re seated in a tea shop, across from an intersection. It’s raining, roads were slick, and as per usual, drivers were terrible. It’s also the fourth of September and Jaebum has been on edge the entire day. His stomach is doing ridiculous, over the top acrobatics and every attempt to put something solid in his body makes him feel sick.

He hates hates hates this, and with Youngjae here, the feeling is even worse. Not that he could help it, really, the accident was going to take two lives. Jinyoung was Jaebum’s assignment, and Jaebum thinks Youngjae mentioned a tourist was his. A reckless cab driver and distracted manager were going to be the causes.

“Nora was sick last night. I’m worried about her.” He lies, fiddling with the straw of his milk tea. It was the only thing he could think of that his body accept.

A look of disbelief crossed Youngjae’s face. . “She’s immortal.”

Okay, true.

But-

But Youngjae did not need to know that Jaebum might somehow go grey over the fact he had to take Jinyoung’s soul away. Again. For the fifth ing time. And that he was growing guiltier and guiltier with every passing second.

“Just shut up.” Jaebum settled on, slumping in his seat.

Thankfully, Youngjae does. Jaebum appreciates that, as opposed to his phone vibrating it remind him happily of the upcoming event. 10 minutes until the van carrying Jinyoung passes by and ten minutes and thirty seconds until Jaebum has to get up with Youngjae, twisting the ring on his finger to make him invisible to the human eye. To allow him to carry out his job.

They’re painful, the minutes. He’s stopping himself from nervously bouncing his leg up and down, from biting his lip and breathing erratically.

It’s a tiny blessing that Youngjae is keeping his lips sealed until it’s time.

“Hyung, we need to go.” Youngjae says quietly, and the van passes by as Jaebum looks up and out the window.

He catches Jinyoung’s silhouette, the very one that appeared to straighten and tilt their body. And even if Jaebum can’t see his face, he knows that Jinyoung is looking straight into the cafe. Can feel his eyes on him until-

“Hyung-” Youngjae begins and Jaebum cuts him off with, “I know.”

Swallowing the phlegm building in his throat, he stands to leave. Head down, he exits the shop, Youngjae following suite and twisting the ring on his finger.

The crowd that has gathered was growing every second, and the two split up as they waded through the bodies. Mumbles, whispers and questions all surrounded him, but none were louder than his own heart. Im Jaebum’s heart was repeatedly and rapidly pounding against his chest, threatening to break out, and his hands felt warm. Damp, even.

It was the first time he stood at the edge of the scene, watching, instead of acting. Doing what he was told. Doing

Instead he was watching Youngjae croon gently as he crouched by a body that had been violently ejected from the cab back. He was watching the drips of blood from the drivers finger tips fall to the pavement, making a small puddle. Everything but the crumpled mess of a van, Jaebum was watching.

He doesn’t know if he can.

Doesn’t know if he can bring himself to seeing Jinyoung bloody and broken again.

Until he hears the shriek of a girl. A bystander.

She had caught a glimpse of the mess inside.

It makes Jaebum force himself to tear his gaze away from Youngjae helping Mark get to his feet and to the van. The van he was approaching, his stomach twisting and balling his fist only to release it one second later.

He doesn’t remember much after that. Can’t remember how he ended up kneeling on the asphalt with Jinyoung shaking in his arms and fingers twisting into the fabric of his coat. All he knows is that there were sirens, then flashing lights, and the sound of camera shutters as Youngjae and Mark watched Jaebum tightened his hold.

 

* *

 

The night’s chilly. He can see his breath become a cloud before dissipating.

It doesn’t make sense why he’s down by the river then - it’s always colder by water. The bit of wind picking up isn’t helping either.

And yet here Jaebum is, hands stuffed into his long jackets pocket, staring down the figure in the distance wandering closer. Wondering if he should leave before the others head raises and he inevitably spots Jaebum standing there. Thinking that he really should, he has no place to be here, he shouldn't be. But guilt perhaps, along with a small sprinkle of something was keeping him grounded.

“Oh,” Jinyoung’s small voice brings Jaebum back to reality, and he hadn’t realized the boy had gotten so much closer in the time Jaebum had been contemplating. Jaebum notices a fresh bruise near his right eye and his lip was split. There was also a small roll away suitcase being let go of behind him. “...You’re here.”

It’s like before, when Jinyoung spoke to him. Jaebum doesn’t respond. Words are lodged in his throat.

“This is where I die, huh? At the Han River?” A small bit of laughter bubbles out from Jinyoung’s lips. “How do I go then, Death-ssi? Suicide or do I get jumped for being gay?”

So that's why, Jaebum thinks, eyes going to Jinyoung’s fingers that were curling. About to tremble.

“Or am I already dead and you took too long so now my soul is wandering around aimlessly?”

Jaebum meets his eyes again. Jinyoung’s are a  mixture of anger and sadness. Anger because here he readily assumes Jaebum is here to take him, and sadness...because, well. This was how it ends for him. How he thinks he has gone. Beaten and tossed from his home. There was no hidden Ace in the cards he was dealt in this life time.

Like all of his lives.

“Are you not going to answer me?” Another burst of laughter, and Jinyoung hangs his head, “I should of figured. You’ve never once spoken to me.” And then he sighed, “Come on then, take me. It doesn’t seem like I’m fit to ever live well.”

He’s given up.

Even the last time, he had struggled to the very bitter end. He had been clinging desperately, begging for his life back. Pleading for a miracle even if he full well knew that the instant Jaebum came to retrieve him, it was game over.

But now, now, Jinyoung was accepting it. Accepting what he thought was coming for him.

It hurts Jaebum.

More than it probably should.

He thinks he knows why though.

“Jinyoung-ah,” Jaebum finally speaks, and the boy freezes. Is not expecting to be called that and with a voice so warm sounding, “Will you come home with me?”

Jinyoung doesn’t answer for the longest time. Jaebum can understand. Who he assumes is Death, though Jaebum is not, is asking for him to come to his home. It doesn’t make logical sense. Death has a home? He lives somewhere? Is that where I go when I die? are the questions going through Jinyoung’s mind. Well, Jaebum thinks that anyhow. But he assumes he’s right from the quizzical expression.

“I-...You’re...not...?” The words Jinyoung can get out are failing him and a small smile tugs at Jaebum’s lips.

“Not tonight. I’m not here for work.”

Jinyoung is still confused as to why Jaebum said work, but he forgoes the question to take the hand that Jaebum’s offering. The nineteen year old smile mirrors Jaebum’s tiny one.

This time, he takes Jinyoung back to his home, suitcase in tow and gloved fingers laced.

 

*

 

“Do I get a happy ending? Ever?” Jinyoung is asking and Jaebum freezes as his fingers dig into the collar of the shirt he was about to remove from the closet.

His head tilts and he finds Jinyoung standing in the bathroom door, robe on and loosely tied. The cloth is so close to slipping from one shoulder and Jaebum is no stranger to seeing the human body. He’s seen many . But he ends up having to force himself to stop gawking at the bit of skin, his collarbones, and focus his attention on Jinyoung’s face.

“What are you talking about?” Jaebum finally manages to ask, voice thankfully steady.

Jinyoung takes a moment before coming into the room. He speaks as he’s going to the bed, “You mentioned I’ve always died before twenty-two,” A pause and Jaebum rips his attention away from Jinyoung to fumble with sliding the shirt off the hanger, “And I was wondering, will I ever have a peaceful death?”

Behind him, the mattress lets out an exhale, Jinyoung sitting on the edge. Jaebum doesn’t want to turn around to see that, so he stays staring a the vacant clothes hanger. “I don’t know.” He slowly admits, “I can’t predict your other lives’ deaths.”

He hums in acknowledgement, “I see. But you can for this one...” Jinyoung trails off and against Jaebum’s better judgment, he turns to look down at the boy picking at the robes cuff. Suddenly nervous. Anxious maybe, as well.

Jaebum is silent as he stares down at Jinyoung, eyes (unfortunately) slipping past the drying bangs curling at his forehead. A bare shoulder was peaking out and there was a bigger window to Jinyoung’s chest now. All Jinyoung had to do was spread his legs only a tad and Jaebum’s control would most likely slip.

“Can you tell me how I’m going to die?” Jinyoung’s head snaps up, and Jaebum’s eyes immediately go to his as to make it seem like he wasn’t eyeing him up. “I want to...I want to be prepared. Have a few messes cleaned up before I leave. Last time, I didn’t..and,” He falters for a moment, voice wavering. Jaebum’s heart clenches. “You know the rest.”

He does. Jaebum remembers the headlines and online comments, the pictures of the scene while he was nosing the top of Jinyoung's head  and holding him, with Youngjae and Mark looking on. He remembers the movie being tossed aside, one of the leads having passed.

“I want to be happy when I go this time. Can you do that for me, please?”

Jaebum doesn’t know.

 

*

 

It’s not fair, Jaebum thinks.

It’s not fair that Jinyoung has to continue with the cards he was dealt.

He doesn’t deserve this.

(But does anybody really?)

“Im Jaebum,” Jinyoung reaches out, water drips from his fingertips and he smiles as Jaebum leans into the hand offered, “I love you.”

Jaebum knows. He nods, smiles, and leans forward to take Jinyoung’s lips for one last time. He reaches out completely, body pressing against the porcelain, Jinyoung smiling and humming pleasantly into the kiss and his shoulders were grabbed.

“I love you too.” Jaebum breathes once they part and Jinyoung lets his hand fall back into the water with a splash.

“See you in the next one.”

And then Jaebum pushes. Holds him down. Watches the way they body initially jerked in protest before calming and become subdued by the way water fills its lungs. Feels Jinyoung completely slip away and the air dropping two degrees in temperature, Youngjae sliding into the apartment.

There’s something brewing inside of Youngjae as he finds Jaebum exiting the bathroom with his hands dripping, but he never says anything. Nor does he say anything when Jaebum uses Jinyoung’s phone to speak to the emergency line and quickly report an incident. Merely goes to coax Jinyoung’s soul out take him away, and by the time he does that, Jaebum’s gone.