A MERE NIGHTMARE

PRIESTESS OF THE GODS

08

A MERE NIGHTMARE

 

[ DARA'S DREAM ]

Dara saw herself inside a dark surrounding. It was all darkness at first. Then suddenly a red liquid began flowing below her feet. It was blood. Dead body appeared around her. Flashes of lightning showed in the dark sky. There were no stars, no moon, neither the sun's presence.

 

She was standing right there at the middle alone. Her sisters are no where to found. Her once royal blue one shoulder dress looked tattered and filled with dirt. It was torn in such area. Her hair is in disarray. And she has wounds in her skin too. Dara found herself barefooted, standing in a morbid scene.

 

Surprisingly, the only thing she was holding is a thin dagger.

 

In her dreams, she could feel her wariness and devastation. She feels weak as she was holding on the last thread of strength she had.

 

A loud chortle tore her from the torment. Her ears perked up as she listens to the boisterous laughter coming from somewhere. She snaps her head to around to look for the owner of that voice but she sees nothing. Dara frowned.

 

"Priestess..." the voice echoed.

 

"W-Who's that?" Dara shouted, frightened.

 

"Priestess..." the voice repeated louder this time.

 

Dara starts to shake in fear. Her eyes darted in different direction just to catch whoever who owns the creepy voice. It's beginning to scare her.

 

There was a long pause and Dara thought it was gone already. However, she was surprise when the voice speaks again. Its tune turned ballistic and threatening, making her shudder.

 

"You will die like all of them. No one can save you. Not even those warriors. Neither your Gods! No one will be salvage from being perish!"

 

It was frightening. That voice doesn't seem just messing around. No. It was serious. But why? What is this dream all about? Dara cannot understand a thing. Nevertheless, fear began growing inside of her. It boggles her mind the reason behind this dream.

 

"No!" she screams as tears fell from her eyes. "Bom?! Chaerin?! Minji?!" she cried out her sisters name but none of them showed up nor responded. "Where are you?! This isn't funny anymore! Come out now!"

 

Dara continued to cry heavily while shouting her sister's name. Her hope crashed down when no one from them turned out. Realization is an ugly truth that slaps in the face when she thought that she's all alone.

 

Pain and sorrow were the two things that left with her. Her anguish cry of agony resonated in the surrounding. Unfortunately, nobody did not hear her.

 

A spark thundered in the dark sky out of nowhere. Dara stilled when a loud whimper over powered the silence. It was wild and very a strange sound. Something she had never heard before.

 

It sparks again and followed by the strange sound. Dara looked up and parted when she saw a creature floating in the air. It has scale on its skin and is long and glistening. Its whole body was hiding through the clouds as if making a slow movements. Furrowing in confusion, Dara doesn't know whether to get scared or awed by the unknown creature as it was glowing in the sky. It's beautiful.

 

'Mi'lady, don't let anybody touch your beauty...'

 

A familiar voice echoed and Dara's heart pounded. Her head snapped and hope mounted her being.

 

"Jiyong?" she mutter, her voice sounds hopeful.

 

'This dagger...keep it and use only when the right time comes, Dara-ah. This will help you in times of need..."

 

The voice trailed off and vanished completely. Dara got panic and she glances around in frantic, hoping to see Jiyong. But he isn't there so was his voice. Tears fall from her eyes as her sight blurred. In the midst of her break down, her eyes caught sight of the dagger. Dara held it tight.

 

The scene made a transition and Dara found herself in front of a man. But she cannot make up his face as it was only a silhouette. Then she her breath when she felt a tightening in , blocking her air passage. She lets out a whimper, trying to get out from the choke.

 

"Die Priestess! It's time for you to die!"

 

The voice said reappeared, roared in fury. Dara felt the choke tightens as she almost turned blue. She tried to claw the silhouette but her hand only went through the shadow.

 

"Die last Priestess!" the voice screamed.

 

[END OF DARA'S DREAM]

 

Dara panted heavily as she bolted up on her bed, sweating profusely. Her chest rises and falls as she catches her breath. Blinking, Dara feels muddled as she put her palm on her heart to calm herself. It was pounding erratically. Her eyes turned to slits through the darkness of her room, confused and utterly petrified with the nightmare she had.

 

"What was that?" she muttered and heaves a deep breath. It was only a dream but it feels like real.

 

"DARA! DARA!"

 

Her reverie was interrupted by Bom's voice, shouting her name and knocking on her door vehemently. Dara furrowed her brows together noticing the urgency on her sister's voice. So she quickly got up from her bed and answered her door.

 

Bom's anxious and distress look welcomed her. It made Dara forgot her bad dream and worry for her sister shrouded her.

 

"Bom? What's wrong?" she asked reaching for her shoulders.

 

"The vile... It...it didn't work." Bom sobbed. "Dara-ah, I failed. Ottoke?! What shall I do?"

 

"Bommie..." she said. "What happened? I thought everything is going well?"

 

"I don't know. I followed what was written in Lady Hye Sun's booklet. I did every single thing in there. But when I finally tried it to Top-ssi, nothing happened at all," Bom answered shakily.

 

"Are you sure? Maybe, you missed out something?" she asked again.

 

Bom stilled for a while and recalled the clauses in the booklet in case there's something she forgot like Dara said.

 

"I'm quite sure I did the procedures right. And I have all the ingredients as well. So I believe I am, Dara."

 

"It's hard to believe the vile failed if that's the case. Why it didn't work? How's Top-ssi?" she wondered.

 

"He's still unconscious. I'm afraid he'll get worse until the vile works."

 

"Wait, let me changed dress first," she said and reentered her room to get a quick change. Once she's done, Dara went out to join Bom. "How did you know it didn't work?" she quired while they paced in the hallway towards their kitchen.

 

"Top didn't respond to the vile. According to the booklet, he should be coughing blood initially. But he didn't. I waited and counted for minutes in hope that it somehow delayed. Yet..." Bom choked and tried her hardest not to shed a tear. "It didn't work. I failed."

 

"It's okay, Bom. You're not to blame. We'll find a way to figure it out," Dara cooed her sister.

 

"But how?"

 

"Do you mind if I can see the booklet?"

 

"No, I don't. But why?" Bom asked curiously.

 

Dara just gave her sister a reassuring smile. Bom stilled looked bothered but then handed the booklet to her. She accepted it and scanned the pages until she found what she was looking for.

 

"Bom, can you recite everything you did?" Dara requested while keeping her pace. Her eyes trained over the writings in the booklet.

 

Furrowing her brows in confusion, Bom told her what she did accordingly. When she's done, Dara frowns, trying to dissect what went wrong. She reread it again.

 

"What is it?" Bom asked, taking note of her reaction.

 

"Bom, I think you forgot something.”

 

“What? That’s impossible. I thoroughly did everything written in the book,” Bom insisted.

 

“According to the book, only a curse blade can retract the power of the curse blade. Meaning, you have to use the curse blade to inject the vile to Top-ssi,” Dara said as a matter-of-fact.

 

Bom gasped in bewilderment and blinked at Dara in disbelief. Then, she palmed her face realizing her mistake.

 

“Oh Gods! This is my fault!” she frantically said, feeling guilty.

 

“Please, Bom. Stop that. We should start moving right now before it’s too late. Let’s ask the boys where is the curse blade so you can work on the vile right away,” Dara decided rationally.

 

“R-Right. Oh Gods! Thank you Dara. I-I don’t know what I will do without you,” Bom said and held her sister’s hand.

 

Dara smiled at her and just nodded. “Let’s go?”

 

Bom nodded as the two of them walks through where the boys are. They entered the room and found the rest of the boys hovering over at Top. Anxiousness is visible on their faces. Clearly, they are worried for their hyung. Both ladies cannot help but reach out for them.

 

“Doctor, what is happening? Is our hyung okay now?” Seungri asked fretfully.

 

Bom turned to Dara nervously but the latter just nodded at her to tell the truth. The girl sighs deeply and faces the boys who are all looking at her with hopeful eyes. Bom had to clenched her fist into tight balls and bit her lower lip as she takes a deep breath.

 

“I apologize but the vile I initially made didn’t work out with Top-ssi. I made a mistake. I am sorry,” she bowed apologetically.

 

“What? How?” Taeyang furrowed his brows in confusion.

 

“I missed out something when I was making the vile. I am really sorry. It’s my fault,” Bom lowered her head and slumped her shoulders in defeat.

 

Dara watched in the sideline and also clenched her fist. Not wanting to make her sister feel worst, she stepped in and looked ta the boys sternly.

 

“Bom made a mistake but please don’t blame her. We also found out what went wrong so to retract her mistake we need the curse blade to make another vile to help Top-ssi. If you still trust us and give us a chance,” Dara said.

 

“It’s not that we are mad but why do you need the curse blade for?” Jiyong asked with a frown.

 

Dara turned to her and ignores her heart skipping a beat. She stared at him squarely.

 

“Bom need it to make the vile since only the power of the curse blade can reverse its effect.”

 

“Please, let me try for one last time,” Bom said.

 

“Will it work this time?” Seungri asked, feeling skeptical.

 

Bom and Dara shared a look, not knowing how to answer Seungri. Both them also don’t have any assurance that it will work. They only had the booklet to help Top.

 

“The booklet never have failed me once. It’s my error and neglect in my part having missed out that the curse blade is needed.”

 

“But--”

 

Jiyong cut their maknae off and faced the two lady seriously.

 

“I’ll get you the curse blade. Please just help Top hyung.”

 

“Really? I mean, you’re giving me chance?” Bom asked.

 

“Yes. You are our only option. It’s all or nothing for us.”

 

“Thank… Thank you,” Bom said tearfully.

 

“It’s nothing. Just do whatever it takes to save Top hyung. His life is in your hands now,” Jiyong said.

 

“I-I will,” Bom said, wiping off her tears.

 

“Great. I better go ahead so you could start making that vile.”

 

“Y-Yes. Please do.”

 

Jiyong nodded and about to leave when Dara spoke up. He halted his steps and glanced back with a frown. Dara looked hesitant as she turns to Bom and gave the latter a knowing look before turning back at Jiyong.

 

“I’ll come with you,” she volunteered.

 

“What?” Jiyong mused in confusion.

 

“Dara?” Bom asked as well.

 

“I mean, I can go with you. I have to drop by on Hanbyul’s as well. Can I?” Dara asked, trying herself not to blush.

 

“Oh… of course. I don’t mind,” Jiyong said.

 

“I thought you’re not going to work in the market today?” Bom inquires.

 

“Yes but I need to get something on Hanbyul.”

 

“I see,” Bom smiled in understanding. “Be careful you two.”

 

“Arasso.”

 

Bom nodded and Dara followed Jiyong. The latter just smiled inwardly and lead the lady. Then the two leave quietly.

 

********************

 

 

Awkwardness filled them as Jiyong and Dara walked together towards the plaza. Both of them is not speaking and kept a safe distance between them. Not to close yet not too far, just enough space to feel each others presence.

 

Dara cannot help but to steal glances at the lad who’s walking beside her with his hands behind him. His royal blue cloak swayed along his pace as he made each steps. When the a soft breeze passed by, his jet black strands dances on. It does seems so fleecy to look at that made her want to touch it in between her finger.

 

Shaking her head, Dara tried to look away to shake off those thoughts running on her mind as she doesn’t like where it is going. She is getting really attracted with the latter, it messes up her sanity. She’s having a hard time believing that she was having this thought about Jiyong.

 

For Heaven’s sake, he is a total stranger to her!

 

“Are you okay?”

 

Dara jumped a bit, startled when she heard Jiyong’s voice interrupting her inner struggles as she was too caught up with her trance. She didn’t noticed that the guy had stop walking and had been watching her. She heats up and burned her cheeks abashed.

 

“Huh?”

 

“What’s wrong?” Jiyong suddenly closed their distance when she noticed her flushing face. His voice sounded so alarmed. “You’re flushing red. Are you sick?” Now, he is really concern.

 

“Um…no. I mean I’m fine,” she finally said and stepped back, unable to bear her reaction with their closeness.

 

“Sure?” he asked skeptically. Dara just nodded reassuringly while averting her gaze. Jiyong sighs in relief and looked up, slightly squinting his eyes when the ray of the sun blinded him a bit. “It must be the heat. The weather is quite humid and the sun is incredibly hot today.”

 

To her utter shock, Jiyong’s next gesture surprise her as he removed his hooded cloak and wrapped it around her securely. Then he moves the hoodie up to cover her head. Dara just followed his every move by gaze not knowing what to do or how to react. And after he was satisfied, he patted her head, smiling as he was so proud of his work.

 

“There! It’ll protect you from the heat. Don’t remove it, alright?” he said as his smile cannot be waver.

 

“But… how about you?” she asked shyly.

 

“Don’t mind me. I am used to it. We’ve been traveling with different kinds pf weather condition. So this is nothing. Besides, I don’t want you getting sick because of the heat. An epidemic is still lingering in this town,” Jiyong asserted.

 

Dara was touched by his demeanor. He is truly a gentleman. Her heart skipped a beat more that it rendered her speechless and just nodded gratefully. She softly thanked him and he returned it with a curt nod.

 

As they continued their pace, Dara cannot help but to notice his now uncovered torso that is hiding underneath his cloak. Unlike the three lads he is with, Jiyong has leaner body type. He isn’t that muscular and buff like Taeyang and Seungri. Nor as big as Top. Despite having such skinnier frame, he have this dominant aura that surrounds him. His aqua colored kimono fits well on his body so was the breech bottom pants that suited his entire get up together with his chromatic leg boots. Dara also noticed a pair of blue laced wrapped around his wrists with its tail bounces every time he motions his hands. She muddled over the huge white paper pan sticking in between his kimono loops.

 

She wondered what is that for? Why is he bringing such unusual object under his dress cloak?

 

Jiyong noticed her silence and sighs inwardly. He is not good at conversation or rather talking with her. Dara has been awkward around him though he enjoyed how tense she was with him around--with all her blushing and so on. She does look pretty. No she becomes prettier than the normal. Never has he seen such ethereal beauty his entire life not until the first time he laid eyes on Dara. She has this exceptional beauty that matches her unique personality. But he would really like make her comfortable with him.

 

“So, where do you want to head first? Yours or mine?” he tried to make a conversation as they near the plaza and broke the tension. He knew Dara is getting uncomfortable with all the silence that covering them. Besides, he wanted to hear her lovely voice. It sounded really nice on his ears.

 

“Er--which one is nearer? Where do you lived anyway?” she asked.

 

“We rented a lodging house just few blocks away from the plaza. We’ve been staying there for several days,” Jiyong answered safely not giving much information away. As much as he like talking with her, he has to be careful in his words.

 

“You said you’re rovers, right?”

 

“Hmm,” he nodded and gazed at her questioningly. “Why do you ask?”

 

“Just wondering why you guys came here,” she smiled a bit. “It’s nothing. I was just curious. Anyway, shall we go first to yours and we’ll just drop by to the market and talked to Hanbyul?” Dara initiated to divert the topic as she doesn’t want Jiyong to get suspicious with her musing.

 

“If that’s what you want,” Jiyong just shrugged and offered his smile.

 

Dara had to look away so he would not see her blushing face again. That smile killed her heart once again.

 

********************

 

As soon as Jiyong got the curse blade from their lodge house, the two went straight to Hanbyul’s and Dara didn’t escape from her friend’s teasing smile. She could only rolled her eyes at her and get what she needed from her. Then, she and Jiyong proceeds going back home.

 

They were still bathe with silence that seemed to be their constant companion for the past walking hours. Jiyong tried engaging them to a small talk but eventually they found themselves falling into a dead air. He doesn’t want Dara to be awkward and uncomfortable whenever they are they’re together. He wanted to know what’s on her mind that keeps her occupied and silent?

 

What Jiyong doesn’t know, Dara is struggling how to thanked him for saving her once with the bandits. It’s been a lingering thoughts that she cannot help to be bothered by it. Feeling frustrated, Dara sighs deeply unable to say two simple words to him.

 

What is difficult saying thank you towards the person who you owe your life once? Why is she having a hard time now? Dara thought Jiyong is different since she’s really cannot be at ease with him. She’s always tense and get nervous around him.

 

Dara knew having such feelings to him is very unusual. Jiyong is waking up some emotions she never realized until he made her feel it.

 

For unknown reason, she find herself developing some sort of feeling towards him. And she doesn’t now if that is a good sign though.

 

“Um…” Dara started coughing a bit to gain Jiyong’s attention which she did.

 

Jiyong looked at her and frown. He halted his steps and face her. Giving her a quizzical look, he asked, “What’s wrong?”

 

Dara inhales a lungful of air and faces Jiyong. Now they’re standing face to face. This is now or never.

 

“I wanted to take this chance to say thank you. You know about the bandits before? I…I’ve never had the opportunity to thank you, I guess,” she started bashfully, unable meeting his eyes.

 

“Is that why you look so bothered?” he asked with a smile forming on his lips.

 

Dara nodded. “I felt bad not paying you some gratitude for saving me that time. Then I feel worst the second instance I missed the chance. I apologize for running away that time in the market. I have no intentions of giving you such impression.”

 

Stunned even, Jiyong reached for her hand and smiled at her pleasantly. Her body got stiff with his gesture but didn’t pull away. His warm palms gives her soft ones a gentle squeeze. Funny how she managed to calm by just small mobility. He gave her comfort and makes her nervous at the same time. Odd.

 

“It’s okay, Dara,” he said tenderly.

 

Dara. He uttered her name with such softness that made her heart flutter. The way her name rolled out in his tongue gives a different shivers down her spine. Her heart leaps as it pounds erratically inside her chest.

 

Dara finally find the courage and made contact with his gaze. Eyes met, reflecting one another followed by their fast beating heart. Unknown to one another, their heartbeat synchronized with a rhythm. They knew something between them is threatening to rise and bloomed. That indescribable connection they have ever since they met, it was inevitable and they cannot fight against it.

 

However, reality is a great slap that both of them almost disregarded.

 

Jiyong is currently in a search mission while Dara is struggling with what Bom has told her as well as Hye Sun’s dying words came hunting them.

 

There’s no point engaging themselves in such complicated situation whereas they have uncertain future. One of them is bound by a duty and the other has an inexplicable existence to figure out.

 

Little they know, there connection is beyond what their heart felt. There soul is link together like an unbreakable bond hindering them to recognize their fate together. Jiyong doesn’t know that Dara is the person he had been looking for. Until then, both of them will suffer on such ignorance and display of foolishness.

 

Lowering both their eyes unable to deal with the restraint suddenly thrown at them, silence once again covered them slowly he release her hand. And just like that, will he have the same fortitude to let her go when the time comes he needed to go?

 

Dara felt the heavy weight creating borders between Jiyong and her. When he lets go of her hands, the warmth turned cold and gives her some emptiness. Yet she let him. Can she get used to the coldness and emptiness later on when they have to depart ways?

 

It seems too fast. They had only known each other for a short time, barely a period to know each other better.

 

But in spite of that, they can’t help… it is an hopeless case and a little over too late to stop themselves from falling, entrap with the four lettered word that symbolizes fate.

 

They had fallen for each other. That is the unspoken truth.

 

********************

 

The came home without saying anything. They didn’t mention nor talked about what happened earlier. They didn’t have to. It was an inarticulate understanding between them.

 

Their companions have noticed the awkwardness between the two and the silence gave away that something had happened while they were gone. Nonetheless, no one dared to ask about it as they respected their silence.

 

Jiyong handed the blade to Bom quietly as the latter just gave her sister a tentative glance while receiving the object. She was curious but held it in when Dara just avoided any eye contact to any of them. She just settled in thanking the latter and proceed on making another vile for Top.

 

 The girls excused themselves, doing their own chores. Chaerin and Minji helped each other in making snacks following Bom out to do the vile. Dara also made an flight by telling them she’s going to her room and work on Hanbyul’s backlog.

 

The rest of the boys frowned except Jiyong who just turned away sighing. When they left alone, Taeyang gave the latter a puzzled look.

 

“Is there something wrong, Ji?” he asked carefully while Seungri stayed silent and waited.

 

Jiyong just shake his head and gave them a faint smile. “Nothing. How’s everything here?” he asked to divert the topic.

 

“He had another episode earlier but Bom noona managed to calmed him down,” Seungri informed him.

 

“That’s a relief. I hope this time hyung will be healed finally,” he said while fixing Top’s blanket.

 

Top looked in a very bad shape. His face sunk and a dark bags formed under his eyes. He was pale and very ill looking. Gone was the formidable warrior they are with in this quest.

 

Upon looking at his hyung, Jiyong realized the things he should prioritize. Top is fighting for his life while fulfilling his duty. They are here for one purpose--to find the priestesses. Each of them had sacrificed something. And it’s sad that he had to disregard his growing feelings for Dara and focused on what matters most.

 

This is the path he choice to take a long time ago. He is a warrior. He has duties to fulfill and a mission to complete. Giving such effort to something uncertain is not right. He may be falling for Dara but the timing . If only they are not threatened by the augur… he could give up everything just to have her.

 

Unfortunately, that’s not happening.

 

“What happened between you and Dara-ssi?” Taeyang boldly asked.

 

“What do you mean? Nothing happened between us. We just… accompany each other. That’s all,” Jiyong curtly answered, forcing out the lie in his mouth.

 

“I know it’s not nothing. You two are acting weird since you arrived. Did you talk to her?”

 

“I did--”

 

“But?” Taeyang supplied.

 

Jiyong exhaled and stared blankly ahead. There’s no point in getting away from Taeyang’s scrutiny. The guy is very observant for his liking.

 

“Nothing happened because that is how it supposed to be. You would think there’s no such definition of cowardice a warrior must yield. Bravery sometimes doesn’t mean taking risk. Facing the truth that you cannot seem to hold on something uncertain to begin with is bravery itself. Submitting yourself as a coward doesn’t hurt as much as losing a battle you cannot fight with,” he remarked making the two lads confused.