chapter seven.

» this christmas

Waking up to snow would be something Lia used to wish when she was a kid - it almost made her remind the time when childhood was a precious stage of her life where every little thing was a reason for appreciation, such as snow. Maybe because it was something nobody could control. Her eyes opened, making her smile at the sight she loved to wake up to - it was snowing outside on the 25th of December. It was just something that made her forget about the drama going on her life in that moment and enjoy that moment by herself. That was, until her fiancé was up.

 

For some odd reason, even Jiwon was up early in the morning. He didn’t make any noise and simply smiled as he noticed Lia was admiring the snow falling outside. His eyes followed hers, appreciating the same view since human beings weren’t that good at bringing comfort into their lives in that moment. The female knew he was awake but she didn’t bother to say a single world or let him know she was aware of his state.

 

He, on the other hand, simply snuggled closer to her, resting his chin over her shoulder to peck her cheek as he knew she was way too focused on the snow to even think of the male who was awake. ‘’Are we spending the day here?’’ Jiwon chuckled quietly to her who turned her head slightly just to be able to see his features but it didn’t seem enough so she turned around. Her hands rest over his chest, holding gently onto his shirt before she rest her head on the crook of his neck. ‘’It’s not like we have anything else to do.’’ she commented quietly upon feeling his arms wrap around her tightly.

 

‘’I don’t mind to be honest, but we need to keep in mind that there’s one of us that needs a lot of food, right?’’ he commented, laughing as he pulled back to look at her face that showed a soft smile over her lips. She knew who he was referring to; it was her who carried his baby. Her hands combed through hi short hair that passed between her fingers. It felt soft and she grew fond of the feeling over the past minutes. He of course, retributed the smile as he liked the way her lips looked when they were curved up into that smile he managed to pull off from her.

 

‘’Are you that happy that I’m carrying your child?’’ her eyes landed on his as she spoke, asking him this serious question to which the answer was obvious. ‘’Of course.’’ he answered without hesitation, sighing happily as he closed his eyes for a second, thinking how this part of reality seemed so alike a dream - it was just so nice to have the opportunity to have someone he could care for until the end of his days. Someone he knew he’d love unconditionally and in every possible way. His simple answer was enough for Lia who rested her head over his chest.

 

Jiwon hummed quietly, shifting so he was now laying on his back in hope the female would be more comfortable that way ‘’When you’re hungry, let me know, we’ll have breakfast.’’ he sang out since there was a certain rhythm stuck to his brain. She only nodded, not saying any other word. It was early for breakfast anyways.



 

The bell ringing shocked both the adults who were sitting by the kitchen. ‘’I’ll go get it, you keep eating.’’ Jiwon offered, getting up from the chair as he put down his half eaten sandwich. He was quick to get to the door but soon regretted opening it - it was cold outside and he was wearing a shirt together with the boxers he put together after freshening up that morning. He almost cursed under his breath but the person standing in front of him, stopping the male from doing so.

 

‘’What are you doing here?’’ Jiwon blinked as he watched a couple come inside his house like they owned the place. ‘’Yah!’’ he closed the door and ran upstairs to get a pair of pants while the person left behind only laughed. ‘’I’ve seen you like that before, what’s the big deal now?’’ a male voice called out, laughing while the female standing by his side smiled a bit at this interaction.

 

Jiwon soon ran downstairs, whining ‘’Hyuuuung…’’ he sighed as he stopped by his older brother who grinned at him like a fool. Lia got curious over all the fuss that was happening by the living room so she decided to get up and check it out. She found her fiancé’s brother and his fiancée standing on the living room. She made her way to them, greeting them nicely. Both were nice to her, retributing her the smile. ‘’I heard from dad you were getting married as well.’’ he started, looking at his brother who smiled widely at this, confirming it. ‘’I’m happy for you.’’

 

‘’You know, dad is happy too.’’ ‘’Aish hyung, let’s not talk about this..’’ Jiwon mumbled as he asked his fiancée to sit down since he had sat by the couch. His brother followed his actions. Soon, the four of them were sitting but only the males were talking, over what happened the day before as Lia wasn’t the only one hearing the conversation Jiwon had with his father. ‘’He didn’t mean to, Jiwon.’’

 

Whilst the males were talking, Lia tried to distract herself from this matter since she wanted to avoid it. The other female noticed it and decided to simply talk to her, excusing them from the living room. Lia was happy for this. They had gotten to her bedroom but Lia was a bit worried over the fact she didn’t know how to act around the female who she used to somehow hate. She was quite nice. ‘’This is not your fault…’’ she spoke, sitting down in front of her and even taking her hands as she thought of the days back when she was dating Jiwon’s brother. ‘’They were just shocked to hear Jiwon was dating someone.’’ she tried to convince the female since she was too, going to be part of the family and in her opinion, they should stick together. She knew Lia would need more than Jiwon to get through both, the pregnancy and the family issues that would later hit her and Jiwon.

 

Lia smiled a bit, showing some sympathy to the female who was trying her hardest to cheer her up. ‘’I’m sure things will get better to your side, later on. And I know it is not easy now but think of the baby you’re carrying and what’s the best for it. The fight he had yesterday with his father… both said things they didn’t mean.’’ the elder female nodded slowly at the thought of the words she heard the day before - she was just as shocked as Lia was. ‘’His father wasn’t expecting it, it was kind of shocking to us too. We didn’t think Jiwon was taking you seriously.’’ she honestly told Lia who nodded slowly at the words that hurt her.

 

‘’Did you come here to ask Jiwon to go back home?’’ she asked quietly as she took her hands away slowly to hold them back together. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to face Jiwon’s father and mother since last time she walked into that house, she wasn’t properly acknowledged. The other female sighed quietly ‘’It’s Christmas…’’ she stated, watching Lia nod her head slowly. ‘’Are you trying to ask me something else?’’ Lia asked, looking at the female who sat in front of her as she wasn’t sure if she could trust her words or doubt every single sign of sympathy.

 

‘’No.’’ she answered honestly. ‘’I just thought it’d be nice to have everyone sitting on the same table while eating. After all, Christmas is about family.’’ she concluded, watching the younger female who wasn’t sure where to look at. She looked lost even if she knew exactly where she stood. She wasn’t looking forward to sit in the same table as her fiancé’s father. She could almost feel the hate he felt for her when Jiwon was asked to give up on their kid. ‘’Well, that’s up to Jiwon. If he wants to go, then he shall go.’’ she shrugged. ‘’I’m talking about you as well...Lia.’’ the way her name was called out almost made her want to hug the female in front of her - everything about her was so comforting. ‘’I’ve been in your place before...except I wasn’t pregnant. But I’ve been there, I know how hard things can get’’



 

After finally managing to convince the couple to follow them to his parents’ house, the ride there was quiet. Jiwon felt yet again uncomfortable with the suit he was wearing and Lia felt quite uncomfortable but it wasn’t because of the dress she was using. Her mind was all over the place, she was worried she would just ruin the lunch yet again. Her head was over Jiwon’s shoulder as the silent ride came to an end. ‘’We’re here’’ a male voice warned, getting the couple sitting on the back seats, tensed.

 

‘’Mom, dad, we’re home.’’ Jiwon’s brother shouted as both couples came in. They walked towards the living room, meeting Jiwon’s parents whose eyes landed over the younger couple. Jiwon’s grip tightened around Lia’s hand but unlike any other day, that only got her more tense, she didn’t relax the slightest. All of them sat down while the female kept her eyes on the floor, somehow wishing they just ignored her like the way they did a couple days ago when she came to have dinner with them.

 

‘’So, you two decided to get married…’’ his father finally spoke as he looked over at his younger son who looked back at him, nodding firmly. Lia kept her eyes on the floor since she couldn’t even bare to look at anyone. It was a bit too embarrassing and awkward for her. ‘’Fine, let’s do this the way you want to.’’

 

Jiwon gasped, looking at his mother and then at his father ‘’Are you perhaps giving us your blessing?’’ he asked, trying to understand what his words meant. He wasn’t fully sure about it but he wished he was right. With a nod of head, he confirmed his thoughts, smiling like an idiot as he thanked his father for getting over that stupidity of his of stopping his younger son from doing what he wanted and learn from his mistakes. ‘’Let’s forget yesterday’’ his father asked, looking at the female who smiled still eyeing the floor. ‘’And I’m sorry if I brought a lot of problems to you, I hope you understand I didn’t mean to. I was worried for Jiwon’s future.’’

 

‘’He will be alright. I don’t think you’ve noticed yet but Jiwon is a grown up.’’ Lia commented, gasping as she thought she came out rude to her father, quickly covering it up with a few more words ‘’I mean he is capable of taking care of us and he was very worried about the fight the two of you had the other day so please try to talk it out instead of just shutting the doors and the windows on each other’’ she looked at Jiwon as well, wanting to let him know she was talking to him as well.



 

Thankfully, the lunch was served and the six people had enough to talk about. Lia was a bit more comfortable and smiled softly at the way Jiwon had managed to change his actions towards her as well as the other family members that didn’t seem as upset as they seemed the day before. She felt quite comfortable in this environment and she didn’t mind the slightest sitting down on the living room once they were done eating and watching a movie they had picked. Apparently, it was what his family had kept as a tradiction and she could say it was rather comfortable to stay in Jiwon’s arms while watching a movie nobody was particularly paying attention to as everyone had seen that movie before. It just felt nice to be there, as someone they accepted instead of someone they looked down on.