It Haunts Me

When I Was Your Man

Friday came and truthfully, Mina hadn’t been having the best week. After the argument with Momo, things had gotten tense between them. Even Sana who was oblivious could sense the tense atmosphere when they hung out after dance practice. Nayeon and Sana however knew they could not do anything because neither Momo or Mina would talk to them about what had happened after dinner on Monday.

Mina went to the bar as planned, settling herself on a seat near a bartender named Jihyo who knows Nayeon.

"So what can I get for the manager's girlfriend?" Jihyo joked.


"Something that won't get me drunk."


"Why not?"


"Can't afford to let my guards down."


Jihyo had her left eyebrow raised and Mina had to hold her laughter in because Jihyo looked like Thomas. "Well, Arnold Palmer it is then."

Jihyo grabbed a glass, added some ice and poured a portion of iced tea and lemonade. When she was done, she had a playful smirk on her face and she placed the glass in front of Mina. "Who is performing tonight? Jeongyeon said it was a kid from my college."


"Ah yes. We don't really know her name. We just call her Cheeseball." Jihyo chuckled, thinking about how the nickname was so apt for the young performer.


Mina looked at Jihyo with a confused expression, in hopes the bartender would give a further explanation of that ridiculous nickname.

“You’ll understand when you see her, or listen to her.” Jihyo said before walking to the other side of the bar, attending to another customer.

 


*


 

Chaeyoung was relaxing in the backstage area. She had arrived at the bar 10 minutes ago, lucky enough to not be drenched by the sudden heavy rain. The small singer had barely gotten enough sleep last night because of the never-ending nightmares. However, she could not even get a sip of coffee for she fears to mess up the performance later.

Seeing that she still had 15 minutes before the start of her performance, Chaeyoung decided to freshen up. With small steps, she made her way to the washroom at the back of the bar. She spotted the bar’s manager, Yoo Jeongyeon, talking to someone at the bar. The two seemed to be pretty close considering how Jeongyeon had just leaned forward to place a chaste kiss on the girl’s cheek. Not wanting to disturb them (though she was itching to ask if she could get an advance pay this month), she made a beeline to the washroom.

Once inside, she stood in front of a mirror, hands on the sink. Chaeyoung took a quick, good look at herself. Her eyebags were prominent (despite her attempt to cover them with makeup), her lips were slightly chapped from the fact that she had been biting on them on her way to the bar (a horrible habit she had picked up since young) and her hair was a mess from running with the strong wind blowing against her.

“God, I look like .” Chaeyoung sighed.

She tied her hair in a loose bun (the way a certain someone loved it) and with trembling hands, she turned the faucet on. She had wanted so badly to splash the cold running water on her face (in hopes it would freshen her up a little). However, she was worried her makeup would be ruined and she did not have enough time to start doing her makeup again. Chaeyoung simply washed her hands and reapplied her lip balm and lipstick.

The younger singer was about to leave the washroom when she caught sight of a mobile phone on the countertop next to one of the sinks. Curious, she made her way to it, grabbed the phone and pressed on the lock button of the iPhone 6S. The phone had almost slipped out of her hand when she saw the photo on the lockscreen.

 

It was a picture of Jeongyeon and Mina. Specifically, a picture of Mina kissing Jeongyeon on her lips.

 

*

 

“Umm, excuse me?” Chaeyoung approached a girl whom she recognized as the assistant manager of the bar, a girl by the name of Tzuyu.

 

“Hi Chees- I mean, hi Chaeyoung!” Tzuyu greeted. Tzuyu was one of the few staff in the bar that knew of Chaeyoung’s name.

“Hi, I found this phone in the washroom earlier on. I think it belongs to Jeongyeon.” Chaeyoung handed the phone to Tzuyu.

“Hmm? Is that so? Jeez. That woman is so clumsy. Thanks Chaeyoung! I’ll pass it to her.” Tzuyu took the phone away and kept it in the back pocket of her pants. “Good luck for tonight!” Tzuyu cheered and gave her a light pat on the back.

 

The singer could only offer a bitter smile and mutter a soft “Thanks.”

 

And for the first time in forever, she prayed. She prayed that the photo on that phone wasn’t real. Because it suddenly hit her.

Jeongyeon is Mina’s new lover. Jeongyeon had kissed someone at the bar earlier on. That someone was probably Mina.

Mina would probably be watching Chaeyoung tonight and Chaeyoung had only prepared one song.

 


Sometimes I wish I had more time to write. I'm sorry ):