Chapter 18: How are we going to pull this off?

A delicate situation

 

 

Kyungsoo looked at herself in the mirror of the girls toilets. She felt nervous as she exhaled deeply “You can do this! Come on! There is nothing to be nervous about. Soo Fighting!” She facepalmed as she realised that she had started to call herself Soo…what on earth was Jongin doing to her? As she headed towards the dance studio she bumped into Yixing, they smiled at each other and silently headed towards the studio together. The silence was deafening so Kyungsoo decided to break it and being the social creature she was, she was good at making others feel comfortable “Soooo this is weird. Is it weird that I’m nervous?” she asked softly chuckling. Yixing stopped in her tracks “You too? I thought it was just me!” Kyungsoo nodded violently making Yixing feel at ease. They both laughed and spoke simultaneously “And I don’t even know why!” They laughed again, releasing some of the tension that was in the air. “I was so nervous that I vomited in the bathroom earlier. That’s the second time in two days.” Kyungsoo looked at her with concern in her eyes before replying hesitantly “There’s nothing to worry about Yixing-shi. Honestly we won’t go through with this marriage. We will work it out and anytime you are uncomfortable with the plan you can always say and I promise you that I will call it off immediately. I don’t want to jeopardise your happiness for mine.” Yixing smiled at Kyungsoo knowing that she was being genuine and that she could trust her. She is the class president after all. “Thanks. And please call me Yixing.” Kyungsoo smiled back and they walked silently the rest of the way, and this time it wasn’t uncomfortable.

 

Once they arrived they heard loud shouting coming from the dance studio, they both looked at each other and rushed to open the door to find the source of the commotion. “Say it!” Kris shouted as he held Jongin in a head lock. “NO!” Jongin panted back, his face slowly turning red from the lack of oxygen. “Say it Kkamjong or you’re done for!” Kris threatened, a wide grin plastered on his face. “FINE! KRIS IS THE GREATEST IN ALL OF THE GALAXY! HE RULES AT CALL OF DUTY!” he shouts gesturing for Kris to loosen his death grip. “Aaaaaaand?” Kris was just teasing him now. “AND KIM JONGIN IS A MASSIVE TURD THAT AT CALL OF DUTY! ALL HAIL KRIS THE KING!” Kris immediately loosens his hold on his friend with a look of satisfaction on his face. “Much better” he announces triumphantly while Jongin squirms on the floor trying to catch his breath. They both hear a coughing sound and simultaneously turn around to see both of their girlfriends standing with their arms crossed over their chests and an angry look on their faces. “What do you two think you’re doing?” Yixing asked her gaze fixed on her boyfriend, agitation obvious in her voice. Kris laughed rubbing the back of his neck “Just playing baby. It’s nothing really.” Jongin scoffed “Speak for yourself. You could have killed me!” Kris glared at him to silently tell him to not cause trouble with his girlfriend.

 

Kris slowly approached Yixing and cautiously hugged her waist to try and pacify her before whispering “We were just playing Xing. I swear. I won’t do it again.” He nuzzled her neck inhaling her intoxicating scent which helped to calm her annoyance. “You had better. You had me worried that something happened to you.” Kris raised his head feeling remorseful “Sorry Xing. I won’t do it again.” She then smiled and embraced him tightly. Kyungsoo stood watching their interaction with a look of shock on her face. “Kris is so whipped” she thought to herself. She had only ever known him as the short tempered playboy that hated following orders. She never thought that one day the mighty beast could be tamed but as she watched their interactions, she couldn’t help feeling happy for them both.

 

She heard coughing coming from her boyfriend’s direction which pulled her out of her reverie. She turned and ran towards him clasping his face in her hands “Baby are you okay? Did he hurt you? Awww my poor baby” she whispered pandering to him.  She kissed both of his cheeks while she lightly rubbed his neck where Kris had held him in the choke hold earlier. “Better now that you’re here” he whispered back leaning his head into her touch. Both couples were lost in their own worlds, embracing each other silently and stealing a few pecks. Sadly Kris broke them out of the love fest before things got out of hand “Sorry to break up the party guys but we have to speed this up, we only have 40 minutes left.” They all detached from their significant other and sat in a circle in the centre of the very large room ready to talk business.

 

Everyone immediately turned to look at Kris as he had assumed the position as the mastermind of this elaborate plan, they were all keen to hear his ideas. “So!” he began and they all eagerly anticipated what he would say. “First things first, Kyungsoo and I will have to pretend like we are an actual couple. Not only at family functions and business events but also at school. Everyone here will have to think that we are together for real. These kids are all children of these upper class socialites that we are trying to convince and our story will only be more believable if their kids tell them that we are definitely dating. Which means that Kyungsoo and I will have to be seen together in public a lot more…and as per Kyungsoo’s parents request we will also be attending at least two social events together every week until the fake wedding. Does anyone object to this part?” Yixing and Kyungsoo both looked at each other before shaking their heads to indicate that they had no issues with that scenario. Kai on the other hand spoke up “You mean that you guys have to be official? Does…does that mean you will kiss and stuff…?” Jongin was completely thrown, he wasn’t expecting this at all. How would they convince other people that they were together without proof? “NO!” both Kris and Kyungsoo shouted in unison. Kris continued “There will be no kissing and stuff. But there will have to be a lot of hugging and caring gestures like me carrying her books.” “And me making lunch for him” Kyungsoo interjected, her voice meek and unsure.

 

Kai looked at Yixing who was smiling and tilted his head while looking at her perplexed “Anything you want to say Yixing?” She came out of her reverie and quickly responded “Nope. Sounds good to me. It seems these two are reluctant to show any skinship with each other so I’m not really worried. I think it will actually be quite funny to watch their acting skills. I always thought Fan would make a good actor.” She smiles at Kris which he returns and lightly pecks her cheek in gratitude. Jongin scoffed before continuing “Am I the only one that thinks that this is too much, You don’t have to act couple-y at school, everyone knows that it’s an arranged marriage. There is no need for you to fake it.” Kris looked at Jongin’s face trying to find the right words to make him understand without upsetting him “It’s not that simple Jong. We both promised our parents that we would try to make this work and we would put effort into spending time together. So we have to if it means that they will get off our backs and then we can spend more time with you and Xing. And that’s’ the important thing.” He took Yixing’s hand into his and nodded at her to confirm that she agreed with what he said. She smiled in return and squeezed his hand reassuringly. “OK I guess I can…accept that. As long as there is no kissing and stuff.” Both Kris and Kyungsoo nodded in agreement and Kyungsoo leaned forward to rest her head on Jongin’s shoulder, She was so grateful to him for accepting this ridiculous plan. Jongin rested his head on Kyungsoo’s, he inhaled deeply and said “Fine…that’s fine. At least that way we can see each other more outside of school. And besides since Kris can’t see Yixing at least we get to spend more time together. Right bro?” Jongin offered his friend a wide and innocent smile that Kris wanted to cherish, but sadly he had to wipe it off Jongin’s face “Jong…I’m sorry…but the thing is…we can’t spend any time together either.”

 

At these words, the other three people in the room turned to look at Kris, unable to speak and eyes wide in shock. “I’m sorry bro but the old man threatened to hurt you and your parents if I didn’t stop hanging around with you and don’t want anything to happen to any of you. You mean too much to me. Also who would believe that we are still friends after I ‘took’ your girlfriend from you? So we can’t be seen as friends anymore either. My Father wants me to build a good relationship with the son of the Park conglomerate.” Kyungsoo interrupted once more “You mean Chanyeol? Good luck with that. That guy is a pain in the a**.” She rolled her eyes not understanding why Kris needed to befriend that idiot yoda over her beautiful Jongin. He looked so hurt by Kris’ comment and that he would agree with his Father’s order to stop being friends even though he had fought it for years. Kris felt bad so he approached Jongin to try and comfort his friend “I wish it could be different Jong but you know that I have to do this. And besides this changes nothing, we’re still best bros and Park Chanyeol is not going to change that.” Jongin leaned into his friend whilst staring at the ground, too embarrassed to make eye contact “So we’re still going to be friends?…You.re not going to leave me for those rich guys?” He continued to stare at his feet as he leaned closer to find comfort in his friend. Jongin didn’t notice the people around him staring at him like he was the most precious thing in the world, all touched by his feelings for Kris. Not wanting to waste any time Kris gripped his adorable friend into a hug “Of course Kkamjong! Remember bros for life. Always.” Jongin returned the hug, gripping the front of Kris’ shirt and never once raising his eyes from the ground.

 

Kris hugged him for as long as possible (short enough that the hug could still be deemed a bro hug without looking to soppy but long enough that he could convey his feelings to his friend) before separating. Jongin smiled shyly, grateful that he wasn’t losing his bestie when his girlfriend approached him and jumped on him while hugging his side “Nini you’re soooooooooooo cute. I just want to put you in my pocket and carry you everywhere!” she exclaimed hugging his waist tightly, head nuzzling his chest. Yixing also approached Jongin cooing at him as she pinched his cheek “Yah! Kim Jongin you’re so adorable. So much for the schools y beast Kim Kai. You’re more like a cuddly bear!” She pinched harder unable to contain her fondness for the younger “OW ow. STOP YIXING!” She laughed at him while proceeding to pinch both of his cheeks which made him feel even more annoyed. “Since you guys are already getting cosy, this brings us to the last order of business” Kris said causing Jongin and Yixing to detach from each other. They stared at Kris anticipating his explanation but he just sighed and rubbed his eyes with his thumb and index finger. After a pregnant pause he continued “I want you and Xing to pretend that you are a couple.” Once again the other three stared at him in utter shock and confusion.

Their confusion spurred Kris to carry on his explanation “I know that it sounds crazy but it’s a good idea. If everyone thinks that Kyungsoo and I are a thing then it will look like Xing is available and then any guy can come and try to flirt with her and I am NOT having that. At least if it’s you Jong then I know that you will keep her safe and you can keep an eye on her for me when I’m not around.” Yixing stared at Kris feeling completely befuddled. Her insanely jealous and possessive boyfriend just asked his best friend to pretend to date her in order to keep her safe from others. While she knew that this was just another method of Kris’ to ensure that other guys stayed away from her and his only way to be possessive over her, she couldn’t help but feel that he was growing as a person. She felt so proud that he was willing to compromise his position to put her safety first and she just wanted to hug him. “Besides you are both dance partners and sadly for me have great chemistry on stage. So people won’t find it weird if you both started dating. Besides it could also be seen as you taking revenge for me getting together with Kyungsoo. Basically it won’t be that difficult for people to buy that you two are in a relationship and I need that because I don’t want anyone coming after Xing. I refuse to let that happen and I’m sure Kyungsoo agrees, right?” He stared at her expectantly hoping to hear her acquiesce, as so far they had agreed on all points and were actually very in sync with each other.

 

Kyungsoo was quiet at first, still attached to Jongin’s side when she looked up at Kris shaking her head “No, no.” She looked up at her boyfriend staring into his deep brown eyes before saying “I don’t want that. Jongin’s mine and I don’t want to share him. I don’t want him to have to treat Yixing like he treats me and I don’t want him to look at her the same way he looks at me. I can’t…Nini I’m sorry but I can’t.” She leaned into his chest and gripped him tightly around the waist marking him as her possession. “I know it isn’t fair for me to say this because of mine and Kris’ relationship and I know that I’m being unreasonable but I don’t want to share you Nini. Even with Yixing, I know she loves Kris but it will break my heart if you look at her like you look at me, even if you don’t mean it. I mean what if you fall in love with her…and leave me behind?” She whimpered into his chest and he squeezed her tightly not knowing exactly what to say. Jongin wanted to be angry at her for opposing this point when she was about to start a fake relationship with Kris but when she looked so small and helpless in his arms, he didn’t know what to say to her. He looked at Kris for help and being the good friend that he was Kris interceded to rectify the situation “Kyungsoo-ah listen, I don’t like this either but it’s our best shot You see that line of girls that follow Jongin around all the time, unless you want to see them hit on him on a daily basis, I suggest you agree to this. They share classes and dance together so they will always be around to keep the other safe. Take solace in that fact. This is the best option for all of us.”

 

Kyungsoo raised her head and looked into Jongin’s eyes once more “You will still love me right? You won’t fall in love with Yixing and leave me? Because I love you Nini. All of this would be pointless without you.” Jongin didn’t know what to say, this was the first time he had seen his girlfriend so insecure about him with other girls. As much as he hated seeing her worried and distressed, he felt good knowing that she worried about this stuff too. He simply nodded and rested her head back onto his chest squeezing her tighter. “OK I agree to it.” Kyungsoo said reluctantly, face still buried onto her boyfriend. “Now onto the good news” Kris announced and they all perked up. “With all of these contingencies in place, this will sweeten up both mine and Kyungsoo’s parents so we will have quite a bit more freedom. We will attend the mandatory functions but I will arrange private dates for us and use it as a cover to see you both. I will try and arrange it so these meetings happen at least twice or three times a week. So there will be plenty of time to see each other.” They all looked at Kris and sighed in relief, finally some good news. “And that’s it. The plan is set in motion as of right this moment. Kyungsoo and I will start acting like a couple. Jongin and Xing, you guys wait a week before coming out as a couple. And as a warning you don’t have to try too hard to convince everyone that you are together. That means no kissing or long hugs. You can hold hands…briefly and there may be some light petting but that’s it and NO dancing under ANY circumstance.” They both nodded in agreement and replied “The same applies to the both of you. I want next to zero touching and the only time you are allowed to hug my Soo or hold her hand is if she is dying from drowning or if she is about to get hit by a truck. Other than that I don’t want any skinship AT ALL,” Both parties nodded in understanding. “OK then we’re done” Kris said as he walked towards Yixing wrapping his arms around her shoulders. “Come on Nini, let’s sneak into the music room, there’s some stuff I want to…discuss with you” Kyungsoo said suggestively. Jongin smiled and nodded as they silently walked out of the studio, eyes fixed on each other.

 

Kris barely noticed as he closed the tiny gap between him and Yixing and captured her lips in a breathtaking kiss. Kris slid his tongue into and he enjoyed the moans she emitted when their tongues brushed against each other. Yixing pulled away after what felt like an eternity, trying to catch her breath. She then went back in for another kiss as the tension around them built and the warmth from their bodies increased exponentially. Kris pulled away when the bell rang signalling the end of the lunch break “You should go. You have class” Kris whispered as he leaned his forehead against hers. She whined not wanting to separate from him “Don’t you have class?” she asked, looking at him with her big brown eyes. He gripped her cheeks with his large hands and responded “I have a free period. Now go. I don’t want my little genius to miss any of her classes.” He smiled at her and pecked her cheek before gesturing her to leave. She pouted before giving him one last longing kiss and then turning around to exit the room, picking up her belongings along the way. Kris lightly touched his lips still feeling the soft plump lips of his girlfriend on them. He smiled and waited several minutes before exiting the studio via the other exit so as not to raise any suspicion.

 

Kris entered his classroom as the bell rang signalling the start of his free period. However, instead of going to his usual seat in the middle of the class, he walked to the back of the room approaching Chanyeol’s desk. “Hey…can I sit here?” he gestured to the adjacent empty seat. The sitting boy eyeballed Kris sceptically before slowly nodding, a smile creeping across his features. Once seated Kris turned to look at Chanyeol and asked “So I’m free after school if you want to come around my place and hang. Our parents think it might be good for business in the future if we are on good terms so it would be good to try and be friends.” Kris held out his hand to shake with the other giant. Chanyeol smirked mockingly as he took the proffered hand with a tight grip and shook it slowly. “Yeah…sure…good for business.” He retracted his hand before bursting into laughter which caused Kris’ irritation to rise but he tried to keep his cool for the sake of the plan. He smiled and tilted his head before asking “What’s so funny? Is there something I’m missing?” Chanyeol shook his head “No you’re not missing anything but I just find it funny that you haven’t talked to me since you got here but since you got into a scandal with Do Kyungsoo and Zhang Yixing you come running to me. So let’s cut the sh** shall we? You want us to be friends to keep your parents sweet so they won’t pry into your personal life and find out you’re still dating Yixing, not Kyungsoo.” Kris looked up at him speechless. “How the hell did Chanyeol know? Was it really that obvious? Does everyone know?” Sensing the panic that Kris was feeling Chanyeol decided to go easy on him “Don’t worry so much. None of these idiots know anything. As far as they are concerned you and Kyungsoo are official and you were forced to break up with Yixing. You think any of these idiots are capable of thinking that far ahead. Please your secret is safe.” Chanyeol leaned back into his chair closing his eyes to signal that he had no interest in the conversation.

 

Kris however thought otherwise “If Chanyeol knew all of this, why wasn’t he telling anyone?” Realising this Kris decided to get straight to the point “What do you want?” Chanyeol sat back up and tilted his head while staring at Kris “What makes you think that you have anything that I want?” Kris chuckled softly “Because if you were going to reveal the truth then you would have done it by now. It would benefit you greatly if my name was dragged through the dirt. So the only reason you haven’t said anything is because you want something so let’s stop playing this game and you just tell me what it is.” Kris gazed at him intensely anticipating what he could want. If he wanted Kris to share more of their factory space in China with the Park group or give them more access to their shopping malls abroad, he may be able to swing it. He could convince his Father that it would be good for intercompany relations so it would be fine. But if he wanted shares that would be more difficult and would definitely raise suspicion with the board of directors. So he was internally panicking while attempting to maintain stoic. Chanyeol stared back at him just as seriously looking directly into Kris’ eyes before saying “I want you to arrange a date for me with Byun Baekhyun.” Kris shifted to sitting upright in his chair as he tilted his head to the side in confusion.

 

Chanyeol sighed “You are engaged to Kyungsoo and she is best friends with Baekhyun. Ask her to sort it out! She has been rejecting me for a long time now and I just want…I just want one date and then when she sees how good of a match we are, I know she will want to be with me too.” If Chanyeol thought that this explanation would clear up the confusion, he was very wrong, Kris was still so lost. He had never expected this “Why couldn’t Chanyeol sort this out himself?” he thought. “I-I-I’ll see what I can do. I’ll talk to Kyungsoo and try to get her to arrange a date.” Chanyeol leaned forward as a wide grin spread across his face “Thanks so much Kris. If you can sort this then I swear your secret is safe with me. And…sure you can hang out with us if it will keep your parents from getting suspicious. You can invite the tanned kid too since you guys are good friends.” “No…it’s best we keep Jongin out of this. I don’t want my Dad to hurt him or his family. He is safer being away from me” Kris looked at his lap as he spoke and his sadness was evident on his face. Chanyeol tried to lift his spirits “Hey, I could invite him to join the basketball team. That way Chairman Jian wouldn’t know and if he ever found out he couldn’t say anything because it is a club activity. It’s not much but at least you would be able to spend some time together. And besides your parents would be a lot less suspicious if I was the one to recruit him.” Kris looked up shocked “Thanks…so much Chanyeol. I really appreciate that. I swear I will do my best to arrange this date.” They smiled at each other in acknowledgement and then turned to do some work for the rest of the study period.

 

Kris pulled out his phone and quickly messaged Kyungsoo:

 

To: Kyungsoo

I need you to do me a favour (for the plan). I need you to convince Baekhyun to go on a date with Park Chanyeol. This is urgent and absolutely essential. I’m counting on you.

 

He received a reply instantly:

 

From: Kyungsoo

…I’ll sort it.

 

Kris smiled at Chanyeol and gave him a thumbs up. He really hoped that this would work because this was the best chance that they had. 

 

________________________________________

A/N

Hi Guys, I hope you enjoy this new chapter and that you are all having a great Easter break. 

As always,

Take care and keep loving kaisoo~~~

kaisoonoodle