수고했어, 오늘도

Midnight Playlists


The night sky was indeed beautiful.

Despite the cold air and the fear of falling–he was sitting on his rooftop–the boy still found the night sky was beautiful.

For the past hours, he did nothing but stare at it, wondering where the end of the endless darkness was. He wondered where the end of this heavy feeling on his heart was too.

“Don’t think about it.”

There was silence when the girl decided to sit beside the boy, while the latter just stared into the thin air. Realizing how the boy didn’t respond, she tapped his shoulder lightly which made him startled.

“Dowoon.”

“Huh?”

Hearing his deep voice, she smiled. Dowoon blinked a few times, wondering since when she was there beside him. When she took his hands to be held, he furrowed his eyebrows.

“Sera-ya, what are you doing?” His tone was filled with thick Busan dialect, making Sera grinned. She always loved it when Dowoon spoke with his Busan dialect. It made him cuter and cooler at the same time.

Instead giving him the answer, she managed to change the topic. “I know what you’re thinking.”

Dowoon just kept on staring at her when she said that, signing her to continue because he knew she had something to say–something that made his heart lighter. He knew she would. She always did that.

Sera smiled and Dowoon could feel warmth, as if the most refreshing summer had came in his chest. It was the feeling of drinking hot chocolate in the middle of the winter. She always had that effect on her to him.

However, Dowoon wasn’t so sure anymore. He had done something that even he wasn’t sure if it’s right or wrong.

Dowoon sighed, unconsciously squeezed her hand that held his. He was so scared if what he did was wrong. He was scared that he had done something unacceptable.

He was scared of everything right now.

“You did a good job.”

Dowoon stared at Sera, unsure of what she had said to him, but didn’t ask her any further.

However, Sera knew better. Being friends with him for all of their life made Sera knew the boy inside out.  She knew his frustration when she looked at his eyes.

“You did do a good job, Dowoon,” she said and grinned at him. “You did amazing.”

Dowoon avoided eye contact with her. “I don’t know.”

“You’re not wrong if that’s what you’re wondering about,” she said, trying to guess what Dowoon thought. She was right, though. That was exactly what he was thinking.

“People might think it’s wrong.”

“Right and wrong is just a conception humans made, Woon. It differs on every person’s perspective. Don’t let the majority’s way of thinking affect yours.” Sera cupped his cheeks and stared right into his eyes. “If what you did doesn’t hurt anyone and that’s what you think was right to do, you have me by your side to support your every decision.”

Unconsciously, the boy gave her a small smile and held her hands which cupped his cheeks. Sera returned the small with a chuckle. Suddenly, she gave him a peck on the lips.

Dowoon was surprised, but soon smiled because of that.

“The concept of right and wrong has always been the biggest mystery in human’s life, but isn’t that because we’re humans?” Sera glanced at the night sky, and exhaled happily. “We make mistakes and learn from that. Isn’t that the most fun part in life?”

Sera grinned from ear to ear when he saw Dowoon’s relieved expression, like his burden had just lifted from his shoulders.

And Sera was glad she was one of the reasons of his relief.

“So, that’s why, Dowoon-ah, I have nothing to say but …

 

 

You did great today.”