iii.

Ad Infinitum

 

 

“Mom, you going somewhere later?”

 

“I have night duty at office later, why?” answers Solar whilst cooking steak and Cane sits on the chair at the dining table. Cane fumbles with his fingers. “Nothing.”

 

Solar puts down the fork. “Promise me you won't cause any trouble while I'm gone.”

 

Cane's eyes wonder around. “I.. promise.”

 

 


 

 

Byulyi roughly ruffled her already-messy hair and covered her face with her palms, releasing a cuss under her breath. Her bedroom desk is piled with files of her patients and ideas for Solar's birthday gift. Three days left and the latter is going to be twenty-six.

 

Byulyi was stressed. She already has eyebags and it seemed to grow darker every night.

 

But she was more into Solar's gift.

 

Her ringtone was heard in the room, disturbing her. She picks up the phone, not caring to check the I.D. caller. “Hello?”

 

“Sup, Byul.”

 

Byulyi yawned. “Hi, Jongin.”

 

“Do you already have a gift for Solar? For ya'know, her birthday.” Byulyi heaves out a sigh and slumps down, resting her head on the desk as she holds phone next to her ear. “No.”

 

“Say, do you want me to help you?” Byulyi already knew that Jongin was grinning from ear-to-ear at the other line.

 

 

 


 

 

“Cane? I'll be leaving now.” informed Solar as she puts on her brown coat. Cane was upstairs, pretending to be studying when he's actually nervously looking at the clock. It was 6:40 and he had to leave in an hour.

 

“Bye, mom!” chorused Cane and he hears the front door click, locked. He waited for a few more minutes and there were no more noise coming downstairs, meaning that Solar had finally left.

 

Cane breathed slowly, having second thoughts about going to the park. What if it was a hoax?

 

But he was scared if something vulnerable gets taken away from him.

 

He hurriedly changed clothes and placed his books inside his backpack, checking the clock. A walk to the chosen park was a long way ahead so it was better if he went earlier than 10 minutes before 8pm.

 

He took the spare key and quietly left the house, locking the door behind him before tucking the key into his pocket.

 

 


 

 

“Agh, why do I keep sneezing and coughing?” the irritated vampire gritted her teeth, throwing the last tissue she used. Hansol, who figured out that it was the best to visit the stressed woman, was right beside her, patting her on the back.

 

“I think you're sick.” Hansol suggested but Byulyi shook her head ‘no’. “Impossible.”

 

“But guess what, Byul? They say that if you sneeze and cough continously then it means that someone is talking about you or someone you care is on harm.” Hansol gives her a genuine smile but she gapes, uninterested.

 

“What kind of beliefs are you into, Ji?” Byulyi sarcastically asks. Hansol clears his throat and tries to make the mood lighter. “Seriously, though. It's the truth!”

 

Byulyi scoffs, getting another tissue before sneezing once again. “You really think I would believe that kind of nonsense - especially when it's coming from you? Don't me, Hansol.”

 

“You're getting older.” she adds.

 

Hansol playfully gasps, offended. “Look who's talking; the two hundred twenty-five years old.”

 

“And? You're like three hundred one years old already. So old.” Byulyi smirks, coughing. “And yet, you still haven't found your lover.”

 

Hansol shrugs, his shoulders moving up. “I'm not interested in love - but seriously! Someone is talking about you or they're in danger right now. I tell you!” Byulyi laughs, her laugh echoing her bedroom.

 

“You have good humor, I swear.”

 

 


 

 

Cane's footsteps goes quiter every second, his hands inside the pockets of his coat. It was a cold night and it was freezing. At the same time, it reminded him of Byulyi - he remembered the times when he held her hands when he was a child and it was as stingy as dry ice.

 

He sighs. He missed Byulyi. He couldn't wait for next year - and the thought of Byulyi not attending his 3rd year high school graduation hurt him.

 

He was near. He was currently in Park 35 and he was so close. Just 2 more parks away and he'll be there.

 

He checked his watch - 7:43. He hurried his footsteps but kept hidden. He didn't want to be recognized by people.

 

If people recognized him, it would all over be on media and the news would be straightly reported to Solar, whom he knows has a heavy hand which is perfect for hitting.

 

Honestly, he has never been hit by Byulyi. All he remembers as a punishment from Byulyi is when she shouted at him with a loud voice, which rang throughout the whole house because he had accidentally opened the window and almost fell.

 

But he does misses those scoldings, though.

 

Those shouts were signs of memories from her.

 

He had finally reached his destination and the park was dark, only lights from the post lights illuminated the whole park. And it was already 7:53.

 

Just 7 minutes left.

 

 


 

 

Solar uncontrollably sneezed for the past ten minutes and she didn't know why. “You alright, miss?” asks one of her junior co-workers. She nodded and the co-worker went back to his work. Solar sighed, throwing the tissue.

 

“I don't feel sick, though..” she mumbled to herself and it was 7:50pm. She had only been working for an hour but realized that it was the best if she excused herself to her workers and went home.

 

She grabbed her coat and kept on coughing whilst going out of her company.

 

She was walking down the street when suddenly she stopped to cough more. She kept on walking but to no avail, she kept on coughing.

 

She was at Park 42.

 

 


 

 

8:00 had passed and Cane suddenly felt a presence around him, right inside the park. It was a different aura and he kind of shivered. “Hi, Cane.”

 

He look towards the voice upon hearing his name being called. It was a man with a black hoodie but the man takes off his hoodie, revealing his face. Cane tilts his head, he looked so familiar but unfamiliar at the same time.

 

He had a memory with this man - and Byulyi was included in that memory.

 

Byulyi was shouting at the man whilst Solar was behind her, who had a scared look on her face. Cane sees how Byulyi was about to hit the man when his thoughts were interrupted by the man, again.

 

“Remember me? It's your uncle, Eric—oh wait. Should I correct it? I'm your original father, Eric.” Wow, Cane was so confused.

 

“Huh?” Cane scratches his head. “I mean, were you the one who posted that letter on our door?”

 

“Oh, so you were the one who saw it? What a shame. I expected your mother to see it instead.” Eric clicks his tongue against the roof of his mouth, sulking but his expression was replaced with a menacing smile.

 

“My mother? What about her?”

 

Eric pouted. “Well, you see, Cane - I really liked your mother but it was then when your goddamn father interrupted our relationship.” It only made Cane even more confused.

 

“What do you mean? What do my mother and my father have to do with you?” Cane was starting to be annoyed by Eric, who didn't give out a proper explanation. Eric snarled. “Your mother and I were supposed to be together, not your mother and Byulyi.”

 

“Cane?” a soft but stern voice called out to him and Cane looked.

 

There stood Solar, who seemed frightened and vexed about the situation.

 

 


 

whoops.