Yet another life...

Goblin's daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           Home. Sweet home. Nara smiles, when walking out of an airport. It’s been so long since she was here. In Seoul. All her life, she was traveling. Well, ever since she parted ways with her father. She was born to families all over the world. Poor or rich or average. Not that she cared about it that much, however. They would meet in different way and different life, anyway. It always was that way.

The reason of them not living or being together was simple. Watching his daughter dying every time brought him incredible pain. That’s why the girl suggested this idea. Now, she is here, ready to see her father again.

           Just when she starts to walk towards a taxi, it starts raining. She reaches out her hand, catching drops of rain. It looks like he feels down… Nara thinks. Looking around, she stops a taxi eventually. First, she needs to go to her new apartment, that she has bought not too long ago.

There are still many things, she needs to do. Like finding a high school to attend to and finish her studies. Later, she can go to a college. Although, she is already 21 years old, she was very sick when a child.

Just because she is his daughter doesn’t mean, she can’t get sick. She can. It’s just another life and she is like other people around her... Until she gets mad. Nara has a temper. A very bad temper. Even though, she was trying to control if for hundreds of years, she couldn’t hold a grip of it. That’s very sad, isn’t it? She can’t die either… The only time she can die is her in 30 years old. Quite unfair.

Someone would say, through all those years, she could get used to living for so long. But living for hundreds of years? Going through the pain of dying repeatedly? It’s not something, a person can get used to. It’s also not something, someone can just imagine. Living forever? Or being forever young? It’s surely nice saying, but actually going through that is something else. Those people would rather die than living for so long…

Nara keeps looking out of the window, taking in everything of the city. How long has it been since she was last here? She doesn’t remember, but many things have surely changed. If only it wasn’t raining… Why is he feeling down? It’s not that easy to make her father feel down. Then why?

Along the way to her new apartment. The driver of the taxi is asking her typical questions as where did she come from, how long will she stay here and what brought her here. It’s a nice change, hearing the Korean language somewhere else than her home. But can she call it a home? Her true home is here. Seoul. This city is her true home. It’s where her dad is.

Once the car stops, the girl pays the driver and gets off of the car. Oh? It’s not raining anymore… She smiles and walks into the building. Thankfully, Nara doesn’t need to talk with anyone about the apartment, since everything is already taken care of. Her brother, from the current family, helped her a lot. Oh right, she should meet him. That can wait though, she will call him first and get to him soon. It’s not like any of them would disappear anytime soon, right?

She takes the elevator to fifth floor, where her apartment is. She couldn’t live with her brother since he lives in dorms. His parents wanted to buy a house or an apartment for him, but he didn’t want to. He wanted to be like other guys his age, that are going to college.

When the elevator opens, Nara walks out with a smile and goes to the door of her apartment, fishing for keys in her pocket. Unlocking the door, she smiles widely at the sight of her new home. It’s not the largest apartment she has ever seen, but it’s not the smallest either. Just perfect for her. There is a living room, bedroom, guest room, kitchen, bathroom,… Everything a person needs. Just when she was coming back to the living room from the bathroom, her smile drops, upon seeing a figure on the couch. Annoying… The girl clenches her teeth and fists.

“I can hear your thoughts, you know?” the beautiful woman stands up, smiling widely at her. Beside her, there are bags and a luggage. “You sure have a nice apartment… I’m taking the guest room, alright?” the woman says with no worries, taking all of her things to the said room.

           All Nara can do is just stare. Okay, she knows her. Okay, they are still on good terms. But what the hell is she doing here? Nara didn’t invite her!

“What are you doing here?” the follows after the uninvited guest to the room, where everything seems to be already livable. Clothing already hanged in closets. Sheets already on bed. Everything in order, nice and neat.

“What do you think? I’m going to live here.. With you.” The woman with brown hair answers Nara. She looks at her, as if it was the most normal thing to do. Well yes, of course, but not for these two. It’s not like they are classmates or something. And now, they are supposed to be roommates? It just doesn’t make sense. Nothing makes sense to begin with. At least not to a normal person. But explaining to someone, that these two are not normal, is like talking to wall.

“Why would you be doing that?” Nara crosses arms on her chest, leaning against the door frame. Why would someone like the brunette care for someone like her? Nara is the daughter of Goblin. Most of the creatures fear him, himself. Let’s say, his daughter is just worse than him… Because of her temper, she scares lot of creatures, not just people. Ghosts are trying to avoid her as well.

“Because I care for you…” the uninvited woman shrugs her shoulders, smiling softly.

“Since when a grim reaper cares for others? Especially for missing souls?” raising her brows, Nara blinks few times, surprised at the word ‘care’. Is it some kind of joke?

           Yes, the woman is a grim reaper. An angel of death, could be said as well. A grim reaper is supposed to take souls and help them on the other side, or let them suffer. Depends on life of the person. It’s not an easy job at all, because sometimes there are missing souls. Missing soul is someone, who avoided death. Someone who was supposed to die but somehow survived. In other words, someone whose soul couldn’t be found. For a grim reaper, it’s just like a nightmare, because they have to go searching for the soul. Missing souls were not supposed to happen.

           Nara is one of them. The missing soul. She couldn’t be taken, however, because her soul was always busy going from death to another born. One second she died, and the another, she was born again. That’s why, her soul could not ever be caught.

“Exactly… I have to make sure, you won’t run away ever again.” The grim reaper nods her head, sitting down on the bad, staring at the dark haired girl. Nara is very interesting in her eyes and she has quite a liking in her, but her job is job and she better won’t fail.

“What makes you so sure, it won’t happen?” Nara sighs, rubbing her eyes, getting tired. The flight was long and she feels like she could use a shower and then sleep.

“Oh come on! Can’t you just find your true love and not be such a pain?” the grim reaper groans, shaking her head and narrowing her brows.

“I didn’t pick this kind of life.”

“Yes, you didn’t… Yet, I have multiple cards with your name…” this time it was for the brunette to crosses arms on her chest. There is nothing she can do with those names. She has to find the right card with the right name. She needs to find a card with name KIM NARA. But there is no name like that at all, and that’s why the soul is still escaping right through her hands.

“Those aren’t actually my names tho. Do you have my true name?” this is something for Nara to chuckle about. There is no one on this world who knows her true name, beside her and her father. Her true name isn’t Kim Nara after all, is it? She changed her name, but it’s long ago. In Joseon era.

“Of course not.. I don’t know why it isn’t in archives…”

“Then you can’t take me, even if you want.” Nara concludes, going to the kitchen. She suddenly feels thirsty. It’s right, she didn’t eat yet, but eating after a flight is not the best option. It always makes her sick. She could just teleport here. But then again, she was never in this part of city, nor this apartment. It would be hard to find it here, plus people would find it suspicious. It had to be done.

“But I can still guard you…” The woman comes running from the guest room with triumphal smile, jumping on the spot a bit.

“So annoying.” Nara stares at her uninterested, shaking her head. Is she really a grim reaper? She is starting to doubt it… The girl also isn’t very thrilled about being watched 24/7. It’s not like she is some kind of prisoner or whatever. Having a grim reaper following her every time, is annoying. This woman is even capable of finding her true love and do anything, so it would work out!

“It’s not fun for me either!” the woman steals the bottle of water, drinking of it, leaning against the fridge. Her face is full of agony, so it would look like she is really hurt. That’s all a lie, however. She is very happy to bother Goblin’s daughter. It’s actually kind of fun to watch her being teased.

“Hojung… Don’t you have better things to do?” Nara snaps, pursing her lip and narrowing her brows.

           Hojung. That’s a name of this grim reaper. That's how Nara named her. Angels of death don’t remember anything from their life. Not even their name. It’s really depressing. Maybe it’s a curse too? What is worse? Remembering completely everything? Or remembering completely nothing? That’s the question. As for Nara, she remembers everything from her previous lives but emotions. She can’t remember emotions. Not even the basic feelings.. She only has memories of how certain things could feel… Perhaps, it’s for better.

“That’s why I’m going to live here.” Hojung grins, sitting on the counter, looking around the kitchen, since she hasn’t got a chance yet. Looking at it on a first glance was really nice, but looki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter