Humble Beginnings

This Is The World

The world of Weyard was a vast and dangerous place to explore. Sailors would recount their stories of giant ship sinking krakens, or man-eating birds that would swoop down to grab you and feed you to its young.

 

'All true!' is what the lot of them will say. And perhaps it was no exaggeration. Maybe they weren't just tall tales conjured out of thin air by boisterous groups of men whose senses were being dulled by alcohol…

 

But the one story that had been repeated countless times throughout the ages was that of the legendary Gaia Falls. In a flat world like Weyard, the waters of the oceans continually spill over its edges. No one knows where it leads to. Some say it's just nothingness…once you fall, you fall forever. Trapped in an endless loop.

 

Those adventure seekers with a wildfire burning in their hearts have tried to get close enough to discover the truth behind the age old mystery, but very few survive. Those who had the misfortune of falling over were never heard from again. The lucky handful who do manage to make it home are left with broken dreams and more questions than answers.

 

But the quest continues on for many. Fresh new faces set forth to get their shot at glory each and every day. They wish to have their name immortalized throughout history. The conquering of Gaia Falls would be their ultimate prize…should they succeed.

 

However, not every adventurer goes to sail off to the end of the world. A stout heart does not mean you wander into the eye of the storm at every opportunity you get. No…others journey for more sentimental reasons.

 

Some goals just lay closer to the heart, and one warrior has kept his near for almost a decade. Now he sails home.

 

He stood atop the crow's nest of the ship, stoic and unflinching, his long unkempt hair whipping across his face. The bright rays of the sun cast itself upon him, accentuating his tired wrinkles. He was a man who bore witness to many horrors and tragedies in his lifetime. And it showed.

 

The only bright spot in his life, the one person the travel weary warrior loved more than anything else…was his nine year old daughter Luna.

 

"Father!" She called to him.

 

The little girl rushed to the base of the crow's nest, her braided tail of caramel brown hair following behind her.

 

"Be careful Luna!" The warrior said. He could see his daughter attempting to climb up the rather elaborate rope ladder. "Just stay down there alright? I'll come to you!"

 

"Aww, but I can do it!"

 

"Luna…"

 

"Okaaay…I get the tone. I'll stay put. Sheesh."

 

"I just don't want you getting hurt, that's all." He swung down the ladder with practiced ease, landing on the deck with a thud. "You're still so young…"

 

"It was just a ladder, big deal! How can I ever be as strong as you when I'm older?"

 

"Well," He kneeled down to her level, looking her straight in the eyes. "What if I said I don't want you to be like me?"

 

"But whyyy?" Luna whined. "We've gone to lots of places. And I've learned plenty!"

 

"My dear…living a lifestyle such as this is fun and all, but don't you miss the comforts of home? You know, a normal life. Doesn't it sound grand?"

 

"Sounds boring to me…" She crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. "I wanna explore some more. There's lots of places out there!"

 

The warrior smiled sadly at his daughter. She certainly had his spirit, that's for sure. His younger self would have been so proud. But time was making him cautious….age was slowing him down. He wasn't as spry as he used to be, and he needed to accept that.

 

But…there was still a certain goal he just couldn't bring himself to give up on. He simply couldn't forgive himself if he did.

 

However, Luna's well-being came first. He felt bad enough dragging her along with him throughout his journeys at such a young age. He wanted them to settle down as a family for at least a little while. Once Luna became more accustomed to village life, he would hit the road again. Only this time, he'd leave her behind.

 

Where he was going to go…he wasn't willing to take the risk. Many sung praises of his prowess on the battlefield, but he himself had less faith in those skills. Going off into the great unknown would undoubtedly lead to danger. And he preferred for Luna to not get caught up in it.

 

"Father?"

 

A slight tug on his beard brought his attention back. "I'm sorry Luna. Did you need something?"

 

"The captain said that we're getting ready to land!"

 

"Ah, alright." He stood back up to his full height, then held out his hand, smiling as Luna automatically grabbed onto it with her smaller one. "We should be going then. Do you have everything with you?"

 

"Of course!"

__________

 

"Must be excited to get back home after being away for so long eh little lady?" The captain was a friendly man, despite looking so gruff in appearance. He had a particular soft spot for children.

 

"Not really," The child responded truthfully. "I just wanna go on more adventures with Father."

 

"Luna," Her father said in a chiding tone. "Don't be like that. Forgive my daughter Captain. She's just being difficult right now."

 

The captain laughed heartily at that, his rotund figure jiggling with every bellow.

 

"Don't worry about it Proteus! I enjoy the girl's spirit! Loosen up!"

 

The warrior, Proteus, soon laughed alongside  the other man. "Haha, I suppose you're right. I have become a bit of a stiff these past few years haven't I?"

 

"Damn right you have!" The captain threw an arm over the warrior's shoulders. "Proteus, being a father shouldn't affect your sense of humor. Luna is still a growing girl. Plenty of influence left…it would do her some good if her dear ol' dad wasn't such a killjoy."

 

"Heh, not one to mince words are you?"

 

"How else do you think I'm able to keep control of such a rowdy crew?"

 

"True enough. But…I'm merely looking out for Luna's safety."

 

"I know you are. And you're doing a damn fine job. But-"

 

"Ahoy there Captain!"

 

A voice sounded from the port, catching Proteus and the Captain off guard, and effectively ending their conversation.

 

"Ah, ahoy there ma'am!" The Captain shouted. He gave Proteus one final pat on the shoulder. "Better get things ready. She's not the type of person you want to keep waiting. Good luck to you and your little girl Proteus."

 

"Thank you sir."

 

A curious Luna approached the gang plank meant for disembarkation, wanting to see the speaker.

 

"Hey Father, that's the super rich lady from the abbey!"

 

Proteus looked towards the woman. "Ah…yes, I do recognize her face…Lady Briscoletti was her name I think."

 

The extravagantly dressed woman turned to the two of them, her facial expression implying that she was probably trying to recall them as well.

 

"You…were the warrior hired to clear out the abbey my darling sons are staying in…right?"

 

Proteus smiled. "That I am milady, that I am. The name's Proteus."

 

Lady Briscoletti suddenly clasped her hands together as a look of excitement spread across her face. "Goodness! I really must thank you properly for that! I owe you a great debt of gratitude for saving my sons."

 

"There's no need for that Lady Briscoletti, really."

 

"Come now, don't be so modest. I know I wasn't the one who hired you, but I must insist." She stood there contemplating for several seconds, before snapping her fingers. "I've got it! Make sure you to drop by my town of Mostroferrato when you're able. I have just the thing to repay you."

 

"That's super far away! I bet it's a big town! Father can we go?!" Luna asked, waving her arms around in an animated fashion.

 

"No Luna, not right now. I'm sure Lady Briscoletti needs to use this for own purposes anyway." Proteus his daughter's hair affectionately, attempting to calm her. "Stop avoiding home. The change of pace will do us all some good. Besides, I'm sure Amber misses you greatly."

 

At the mention of her best friend, Luna's eyes lit up with excitement. "Amber! I can't wait to tell her all about my adventures! The village must be boring for her."

 

"Haha, you see? Something to look forward to after all."

 

"Yeah!"

 

"My, my…your daughter is awfully precious Proteus." Lady Briscoletti, who had been watching the pair, smiled warmly. "Oh, if only my sons were like that. Nichkhun is so shy and Onew is always getting into trouble."

 

"Haha, your Onew sounds like my daughter. Don't let her fool you." Proteus chuckled. "Is that why you sent them to the abbey milady?"

 

"Yes. I just thought it would be good for my boys. Still…being so far away from home…I worry about them so. That's why I'm off to visit them now."

 

"Well, we won't take any more of your time milady. Safe travels to you."

 

"And you as well Proteus. Thank you, and may we meet again very soon."

 

With one final wave goodbye, Lady Briscoletti boarded the ship. At Luna's insistence, they stayed to watch as the ship sailed off into the distance.

 

"We ARE going to Mostro-whatever someday right Father? Right???" Luna's enthusiasm had returned in full force.

 

"Yes, yes, but not today." Proteus wasn't quite sure if what came out of his mouth was a lie. He hoped that it wasn't. That he'd…make it back after…

 

"Today…we go home."

 

"Okay." She was feeling dejected again, but at least Amber would be there to cheer her up and keep her company.

 

Their village, Vale, was a quiet little place hidden under the shadows of a massive mountain that the townsfolk dubbed Mt. Aleph. Luna remembered that the village elders would make occasional treks up to the place, but since she was a kid…she was locked out of the loop. They talked of this shrine inside….Sol Sanctum. But that was really it. It was definitely one of those grown-ups things that irritated her to no end.

 

Maybe there was an adventure to be had after all….

 

"Come Luna, the village isn't too far off." Proteus gave his daughter a playful nudge forward. "Day dreaming again are we?"

 

Luna stuck her tongue out. "Just watch Father!"

 

Proteus stared at her, quizzically tilting his head. "What do you mean?"

 

She placed her hands on her hips, then puffed out her chest proudly. "I'm going to become the greatest adventurer there ever was!"

 

Despite himself, Proteus felt a swelling of pride overcome him. Had things turned out differently…then maybe he wouldn't be so emotionally conflicted. How he wished he could give his daughter his blessing. But a part of him wanted her to just…change her mind. She was only nine years old…perhaps she'll one day warm up to the idea of a more mundane life.

 

"I'm sure you will, my dear…I'm sure you will."

 

He didn't have the heart to take it back.

__________

It didn't take long for Proteus and Luna to see the large wooden arch that marked the entrance to their village. And just as Proteus had expected, a certain someone was already standing under it, ready as always to greet them.

 

"Luna!"

 

"Amber!"

 

Luna ran excitedly towards a young girl with short messy hair. She was a skinny one, slightly taller than Luna and perhaps a bit older. And she looked just as happy to see Luna as Luna was to see her.

 

The friends wrapped each other in a tight hug, jumping around to express their glee. It had been a few months since they saw each other. The joy in their hearts was apparent.

 

As they pulled away, Amber was sporting a toothy grin. "It's been so long Lulu! It's not fair that you get to travel around so much with your dad…" Her grin dropped into a frown.

 

" for you doesn't it?" Luna asked, much to Amber's annoyance.

 

"Pfft, you're just lucky your dad is some great adventurer. Ugh…you get to do all the exciting stuff."

 

"Don't worry Am, what your folks do is super important for the town!"

 

"Eh…running some inn is no fun at all though. I'd rather be out there with you guys!"

 

"Amber," Proteus interrupted, walking up to the girls. "Your parents are getting on in years. They need your help now more than ever."

 

"Hey Sir Proteus!" Amber waved at the old warrior. "Glad you made it back safe!"

 

"Thanks kid. It's good to be home. Oh, and about your parents, I'd like to drop by and say hello if you don't mind."

 

"They're over at the inn sir! That hasn't changed."

 

Proteus nodded. "Thank you Amber. Luna, I trust you will behave yourself? I don’t mind the two of you wandering around the village to play, but I don't want you straying any further…"

 

"Of course Father! You know me!"

 

Proteus raised a knowing eyebrow at Luna, to which she just responded with an innocent smile. A bit too innocent in fact…

 

"Don't go burning down the village kids…alright?" He was teasing, but there was still a hint of seriousness to it. "Mind what I said."

 

"Yes Father."

 

"I mean it Luna." Proteus patted her on the head. "Let me tell you again…stay in the village. And don't go bothering the farmers if they're working." After giving Luna's hair one last ruffle, the warrior marched off in the direction of the inn.

 

"Hmmm, well what'd you wanna do Luna? Just play tag or something?" Amber asked happily.

 

When Luna turned to her, there was a mischievous glint in her eyes.

 

Uh-oh.

 

"We should explore the sanctum that the elders always go into!"

 

Amber nearly faceplanted into the ground at her best friend's suggestion. "Hey! Were you even listening to your dad?! He just got done telling us to stay OUT of trouble! Geez Luna!"

 

"But Am! You kept saying how you wanted to explore right? Sol Sanctum is the only place in Vale we're never allowed into!"

 

"I'm pretty sure the grown ups have a good reason for that Lulu!" For all her talk, Amber was a cautious child at heart. As much as she loved the idea of sailing off to new lands, the very thought of it scared her. Luna was the one who always had to drag her around. It was like pulling teeth…..

 

"Amber, pleeeaaase!" Luna begged. "My father won't even know that we're gone."

 

"Man…" Amber relented. "We're going to get into soooooo much trouble for this…."

 

"We'll be back before you know it!" Before her friend could start another round of protests, Luna grabbed hold of her hand and pulled her along.

 

And straight into the heart of Mt. Aleph.

__________

Notes: Some theme naming going on here. Proteus is the name of one of Neptune's moons. Proteus, Luna...yeah haha. Just wanted to let you folks know how I got the name for her father.