Part 5

The Princess's Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Italic = Chinese (or Mandarin)

Normal = Korean

 

Chaeyeon opened her eyes to bright sunlight shining at her eyes, blinding her in the morning. She woke groggily with a yawn, stretching her arms in the process. She sat for a bit, gathering herself from the sleepiness. Her eyes were in a battle with her mind, she would love nothing more than sleeping again but she knew that she shouldn’t. Chaeyeon was about to get off the bed when she felt the body beside her. Her mind froze for a moment before she glanced at her side to see the princess sleeping. She almost let out a yelp but she clamped both of her hands to to prevent the sound to ever come out.

 

Chaeyeon heart was beating very fast from the shock and also the fact that the princess was sleeping beside her. She remembered what had happened night before and blush was creeping from her neck all the way to her ears. She calmed herself down before removing her hands from her lips. She turned her head to look at the princess. Every move she made was careful to not wake the princess up. The princess looked so peaceful in her sleep. Chaeyeon’s heart skipped a beat then accelerates at the majestic sight. The princess looked so beautiful with closed eyes and hair covering half of her face. Light breaths came out from Jieqiong’s mouth in a steady rhythm. Chaeyeon couldn’t look away from the princess’s sleeping form.

 

The youthful face twitched as the sun started shine on her face. Jieqiong eyes flutter open, Chaeyeon hastily looked away to hide the fact that she had been watching the princess for she doesn’t even know how long. Jieqiong blinked multiple times, adjusting her vision to the bright light. She sat up while still in a daze. Chaeyeon was resisting so hard to not look at the princess, but it was too irresistible since the princess was far too cute in the morning. Jieqiong looked left and right to scan her surroundings. Jieqiong eyes stopped at Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon could feel the princess stare intently at her.

 

“Good morning Chaeyeon. Did you sleep okay?”

 

Chaeyeon was caught off guard. Her mind stumbled to find the appropriate answer to the princess’s question. ‘Yes, I slept well because you’re here with me.’ Chaeyeon covered her face with both of her hands, embarrassed. It wasn’t like Chaeyeon could actually say that. Jieqiong looked at Chaeyeon with amusement on her face since Chaeyeon was acting rather peculiar so early in the morning.

 

“Yes princess, I slept- well th-thank you very much.”

 

Chaeyeon tongue stumbled as she answered. Her already red face got brighter from more embarrassment. Jieqiong tried to hold her chuckle out of mercy for Chaeyeon. Their lively conversation was interrupted when knock was heard at the door followed by Nayoung’s voice.

 

“Chaeyeon, are you up yet?”

 

Chaeyeon and Jieqiong looked at each other. Jieqiong motioned to the door with her head. Chaeyeon and Jieqiong both got off the bed. While Chaeyeon rushed to the door, Jieqiong sat herself down at the chair. Chaeyeon opened the door partly to find Nayoung with her usual expressionless face.

 

“Chaeyeon, have you perhaps seen the princess? She’s not in her room.” Chaeyeon wasn’t sure what to say, the decision wasn’t hers though since Jieqiong spoke up first.

“I’m here Nayoung.”

 

Chaeyeon opened the door fully to reveal Jieqiong sitting cross-legged on the chair. Chaeyeon swore she saw Nayoung questioning look flashed on her face for a tenth of a second before returning to her usual expressionless one. Nayoung eyed Jieqiong, Jieqiong knew that Nayoung probably calling her to get ready. Before Nayoung even said anything Jieqiong already stood up and went away with Nayoung to her own room. She glanced at Chaeyeon and gave her a smile before leaving Chaeyeon’s room.

 

Jieqiong was standing while Nayoung wrapped a sash over the princess’s waist to hold her clothing together. Jieqiong was getting bored standing still while Nayoung dressed her. She started to move her body from side to side in a beat while humming some strange song that she probably made up herself. Nayoung was distracted, and she couldn't tie the fabric properly because of the princess’s movement. Nayoung let out a sigh and asked the princess to stay still for a bit more. Jieqiong did as Nayoung asked, though accompanied by a pout and puffed cheek.

 

When Nayoung finally finished Jieqiong immediately wonder around even though there wasn't much room in the inn’s bedroom. Seeing the limited space, Jieqiong gave up on running around the room but took a seat on the bed instead. She took out a sword and a knife that she brought along with her and a sharpening stone to accompany it. She started working on maintenance of her weapons. Sounds of metal slashing with the stone dwell inside the room. Nayoung only watched the princess quietly.

 

“What is it Nayoung?” Jieqiong asked, adverting her eyes from her sword.

 

Nayoung stayed mum for a while. Jieqiong continued to study Nayoung’s face, though it wasn't much help since Nayoung barely showed any.

 

“You slept at Chaeyeon’s?” Nayoung finally asked.

“Ah yes. She was having a nightmare and asked me to stay with her.” Jieqiong answered without much worry.

 

Nayoung didn't mind about it but it would be bad for the princess if anyone were to find out that a maid sleep in the same room as the princess. Nayoung was sure that they were probably just sleeping anyway seeing that the princess and Chaeyeon were still innocent kids. Nayoung had to warn Jieqiong later not to do that at the palace though or Chaeyeon might get executed. Nayoung then went back to her room to gather their belonging as they were going to depart and continue their journey.

 

#####

 

They soon resume their journey; according to Meiqi it would take half more day to reach the mine. Meiqi lead the way with Nayoung following behind her. The terrain was better compared to the day before, so their horses could make haste. They ride for a good six hours before stopping to rest for a good hour. Meiqi predicted that they would reach the mine in about two hours. Chaeyeon was really silent and no one dared to talk to her, even the princess. Jieqiong knew that Chaeyeon was really nervous because she doesn't know her parents fate. A lot of bad thought was running through her mind. She felt her eyes sting from the cold sweat that went into her eyes. Chaeyeon rubbed it away with the back of her hand. She didn’t even notice her shaking body until she lifted her quivering hands.

 

Jieqiong could feel her stomach turn from guilt. If Chaeyeon was to become an orphanage Jieqiong feels like she was the cause of it. Nayoung sensed the princess’s discomfort and put a hand on the princess’s shoulder, hoping it would somehow give Jieqiong a little bit of comfort. Jieqiong mind’s was too occupied to even notice Nayoung’s touch. Jieqiong glanced at Chaeyeon’s direction, trying to figure out the older girl thought. It was apparent how nervous and scared Chaeyeon was. Jieqiong gritted her teeth, she was somehow angry with herself. Nayoung usual expressionless face fell, revealing a worried frown. She could only hope the best for Chaeyeon and Jieqiong.

 

#####

 

The sky was tinted orange when they saw the gated entrance to the mine. Two guards stopped them with their sword pointed at them, several dozen more guards surrounding them. Meiqi glared at them dangerously, but they didn’t back down. Meiqi looked to her behind, glancing at Jieqiong as if looking for approval. Jieqiong nodded her head yes. Meiqi straighten her body, she eyed all of the guards around them. She cleared before exclaiming with dignified voice.

 

“I’m Lieutenant Meng Meiqi of the Zhou Dynasty army. Lower your weapon and bow down!”

 

The guards seemed confused; murmurs were heard from all direction.

 

“Silence!” Meiqi commanded loudly.

“You are in the presence of her highness Princess Zhou Jieqiong!” Meiqi continued.

 

They gasped, surprised when Meiqi announced that the princess was present. The guards certainly weren’t expecting the princess to came unannounced and with only three people with her, the most shocking of all was the princess dressing up as a commoner. All of the guards were silenced as they bow down to the princess. Chaeyeon was in awe when dozens of guards simultaneously put their forehead on the ground to pay their respect to Jieqiong. She glanced at Jieqiong who didn’t look at all fazed by this.

 

“Rise.” Jieqiong melodic voice commanded the guards. The guards rose from their knees to stand just as Jieqiong asked.

“I wish to speak to the person in command here.” Jieqiong inquired.

 

#####

 

They were led to a big tent about one kilometer away from actual the mine. On the way there they saw the mine entrance blocked by big rocks and injured people lay on the ground groaning in pain. They were covered in makeshift dirty bandages, blood seeping through from it. A lot of people with broken bones, some even lost their limbs. On the far left corner of the area were mixed of burning woods and what was left of the dead bodies of the people who died during the accident. Nayoung saw how Jieqiong face darkens seeing the less than decent accommodation. Chaeyeon was horrified at the scene, knowing that the remains that were still burning might very well be her parents. Chaeyeon had looked right and left in hope to see her parents to no avail. The place was in chaos; it was far from ideal situation to search for someone in the midst of thousands and thousands of other people.   Nayoung slowed her pace to match Chaeyeon’s. Nayoung grabbed the younger girl hand on her own. Chaeyeon looked at Nayoung, teary eyed and afraid.

 

“Unnie… I’m scared.” Chaeyeon said in a voice barely above whisper. Nayoung heard it nonetheless.

“I know.” Nayoung looked at Chaeyeon with pity, her grab on the younger girl’s hand firmer.

 

They reached the tent to find it empty. One of two guards that them asked them to wait there while they look for their superior. Jieqiong looked around the tent while the rest stayed silent in their position. The tent was messy, empty bottles of booze scattered on the floor and various other objects. Jieqiong raised her eyebrow at the mountain of paper work on the desk, it irk her that I wasn't even organized. Jieqiong took a seat and checked the paper work that probably hasn't been touched in months. Jieqiong was beyond annoyed at this so called higher ups that didn't even do her job. Jieqiong skimmed through a random scroll that she grabbed off the table. Jieqiong had a frown on her face, lip sealed tight. As she progressed through the look on her face got colder and colder. Chaeyeon shivered at Jieqiong’s scary facial expression that she had never seen before.

 

Jieqiong hastily took another scroll opening them to look at the content quickly, then she repeated for several time. Jieqiong was in the midst of reading another one when a disheveled woman approximately in her forties came in with two guard following suit. She was surprised to find a little girl on her desk, going through her paper work. She assumed that was the princess, from hearing rumor about the young princess appearance.  She approached the princess while rubbing her hands together. Nayoung eyed the woman sharply; she knew already that this woman was up to no good. Nayoung went to stand the princess side as she still eyed the woman that was still approaching. Nayoung turned to Meiqi, who in turn nodded.

 

“That's close enough, mind your distance to the princess.” Meiqi said.

 

Meiqi then went to stand at the princess other side. Chaeyeon was confused but she followed suit, hiding slightly behind Nayoung. The woman raised her eyebrow for a slight second before going back to a disgusting grin, but Nayoung saw it. She stopped nonetheless. She went on her knees and bow down the princess.

 

“Your highness.” She said while bowing.

 

Jieqiong was too deeply engrossed in reading to even bother to spare a glance at the woman. The woman expression hardens when some time passed and Jieqiong didn't say anything. She was still bowing; it was the rule to not get up until it was said so. A few more short moments passed when Jieqiong finally put down the scroll and eyed the bowing figure a few meters away from her.

 

“Rise.”

“Thank you your highness.”  The woman fake smile was back.

“You. You’re the one in charge here, is that correct? The overseer?” Jieqiong questioned before going back to read the scroll.

“Yes your highness, to what pleasure do I owe this visit?” She was still rubbing her hands.

“I’m looking for someone.”

“Who might that be, your highness?”

 

Jieqiong put down the scroll again; she glanced at Chaeyeon who was still hiding behind Nayoung.

 

“Chaeyeon.” Jieqiong expression softens as she called Chaeyeon. The stern façade was replaced by a kinder tone.

 

Chaeyeon showed up behind Nayoung. Nayoung urged her to come out, and so she did. Chaeyeon went to Jieqiong’s side. Jieqiong motioned Chaeyeon to come closer, within an earshot. Jieqiong asked for Chaeyeon’s parents name in a whisper. Chaeyeon told Jieqiong who her parents name were and retreated back to Nayoung. Jieqiong told the so-called overseer Chaeyeon’s parents name and told her to find them.

 

“Find them for me.”

“But your highness, we don't keep a record of the slaves name. They could well be already dead in the accident a few days ago. There are thousands and thousands of them here, finding them would take days.” The overseer tried to reason.

 

Jieqiong glared sharply at the overseer, certainly not impressed.

 

“Do I look like I care?” Jieqiong questioned coldly.

“Find. Them. Now.” Jieqiong continued saying word by word, emphasizing it.

 

The overseer gulped. She hastily got up and left the tent. Jieqiong could hear the overseer barking orders to the guards. Jieqiong went back to reading the scrolls. Jieqiong was forgiving, and thus she wasn’t going to do anything to the overseer even though she clearly didn’t do her job at all. Jieqiong was thinking about giving her a warning to scare her into doing her job. But what she found on her curious little peak at the overseer paper work was far from forgivable. Jieqiong had notice from the monthly report that the numbers didn’t add up. People steal, so it wasn’t a surprise. What she certainly can’t forgive was the fact that the overseer didn’t maintain the bracing structure for the mine that was supposed to prevent accident that had happened. That infuriate the princess, she would have to report this to the empress once she came back if this were true. Jieqiong was curious so she had kept reading more paper work investig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter