Love in Japan

Love in Japan

Daehyun glanced at his watch. 4:00 p.m. He was 30 minutes early. He exhaled into his palm, checking if his breath was okay. A banquet of baby’s breath grasped tightly in his left hand. He pondered on whether it was appropriate to give a man he just met flowers, if it was too much. He checked himself out in the glass window of the café behind him making sure he looked alright. As more couples walked pass him, a tingly feeling bubbled up in his stomach and a small timid smile appeared on his lips.

Have you ever hold the hands of an angel?

After a few minutes on deciding whether or not to throw the flowers away and cursing himself for expecting too much from a friendly coffee date, the familiar halo appeared among the sea of pedestrian. He can’t help but grin widely upon seeing the other male dressed in pink winter coat, lips pursed cutely, glancing around before his gaze met his own. Youngjae waved at him, eyes turned into crescent as he smiled the most beautiful smile Daehyun had ever seen.

“Hi.” Daehyun’s voice came out lower than he’d intended it to. He handed out the flowers to Youngjae.

“Hi, Daehyun. Did you wait long?” Youngjae asked as he took the flowers from Daehyun. He stared at it for a while before mirroring Daehyun’s bashful smile. “Thank you.”

“I just came.” Daehyun lied, chuckling as he waved his hands around in the air, “Let’s get inside, you’ll catch a cold.”

Ironic, because as he said that, he sneezed.

“Oh bless you! Are you okay? Let’s get in.” Youngjae pulled Daehyun by the arm, dragging him into the café. Daehyun’s eyes widened, lips slightly parted. This is crazy, just listening to the concern in Youngjae’s voice could make him flustered. Or maybe, because he was finally held by an angel, just like he’d wanted.

“Is over there okay?” Youngjae pointed out to a table at the very back, looking up to the taller male, arms still linking around Daehyun’s. He was hugging Daehyun’s arm as if it was a teddy bear plush toy, and Daehyun flushed at the warmth. He completely forgot how to breathe.

“Yeah, we can sit anywhere you like.” He managed to mutter without stuttering. He needed to pull himself together, stop being such a nervous freak he told himself. He let Youngjae pulled him to the mentioned table. They sat down facing each other and Daehyun found it hard to take his eyes off of Youngjae.

How can it be that right here with me,

There’s an angel

It’s a miracle.

A waitress came to take their orders, Youngjae asked for a cup of hot chocolate and Daehyun had to order the same.

I want to taste what angels taste.

“Would you like to pick out some pastries?” Daehyun asked.

“Oh, I’ll have whatever you’re having.” Youngjae replied.

A smile graced Daehyun’s feature. “Then I’ll make sure to pick out the best.” Daehyun declared before walking towards the pastry counter, noting how the smile Youngjae gave him drove his heartbeat wild. He picked up a tray and started browsing the mouthwatering food displaying on the counter. The chocolate cupcakes caught his eyes but they’re having hot chocolate, Youngjae would probably hate having chocolate after chocolate. There were variety kinds of cakes, cheesecake, his personal favorite, red velvet, black forest, blueberry, and the list went on. He thought about picking out two kinds but which one? What if they’re too sweet and Youngjae doesn’t like it? He shook his head, not wanting to say goodbye to the alluring cheesecake.

Angels deserve the best.

His eyes fell onto a delicious looking croissant, maybe this wouldn’t be too sweet. But what if they’re dry and taste bad? What about macaroons? Muffins? Swiss rolls? Cookies? And again, he thought about all the possibilities that Youngjae might hate them. He sighed as he glanced back at Youngjae whose eyes were fixed on his phone, their hot chocolates were served. He contemplated regardless on whether he should ask Youngjae which would he prefers between this and that but decided not to. Youngjae trusted him to choose and so he must choose the pastries as promised.

He finally picked out one piece each out of every kind making sure to get all kind of colors of macaroon, filling up two trays. After paying at the counter, he carried them to the table at the back.

“Woahh. Are we having a feast?” Youngjae’s eyes widened, amused smile traced on his pretty face. “Are you really hungry, Daehyun?”

Daehyun smiled sheepishly, scratching his head in embarrassment. “I didn’t know what you’d like so I picked out everything.”

Youngjae’s jaw dropped at this. He shook his head in disbelief, “You’re seriously the sweetest person I’ve ever met.” He giggled. “Thank you, but I’m not sure if we’re able to finish this.”

“If we can’t finish this, then we can have them packed so you can have them at your hotel.”

To much of Daehyun’s disgrace, they had prior booked their hotels before going to Japan so they were staying at different hotels although the distance between the two hotels aren’t far.

They fell into a deep conversation, Daehyun’s intense gaze fixed on the other. He noticed how Youngjae’s eyes widened every time he said something that excites him, how his small lips jutted out whenever he spoke, as if he was always pouting. He also noticed that Youngjae blushed slightly whenever their eyes met. Youngjae is the kind to not hold a stare for more than 5 seconds, he was shy and it’s adorable.

Youngjae told him that he and Jaebum, his ex-boyfriend, went here once and they ended up fighting because Jaebum didn’t want to get so touchy in public but Youngjae wanted to hold his hands. Daehyun nodded, noting the sadness in the angel’s eyes, the trembling in his pouty lips.

I want to hold your hand.

As predicted, they couldn’t finish the pastries so they had them packed up. Daehyun insisted to carry the plastic bag although Youngjae stubbornly offered to. They had agreed to spend the rest of the day together, Daehyun was more than glad to follow Youngjae to the places he’d wanted to go with his ex-boyfriend.

They took the monorail train to a mall, Youngjae had a place he had in mind. He looked really excited as he told Daehyun about it, his eyes lighted up as he spoke. It was a photo booth and he told Daehyun that it could make them look super cute. “You’re already cute.” Daehyun said, surprising himself for having the sudden boldness. Any regret felt after saying those words out loud dissipated when he saw Youngjae flushed in pink as he embarrassedly fiddled with his fingers.

They took several pictures and got two copies of each pictures when they were done. Daehyun couldn’t erase the smile on his face as he thought about how Youngjae leaned towards him while they were in the booth, making his insides felt giddy. After walking around the mall, they decided it was time for dinner. Youngjae wanted to get some street food at the night market and so they did that.

They took a cab back to the hotel, Daehyun insisted on sending Youngjae back first. And as if the heavens heard his prayers, Youngjae invited him over.

As they got out of the cab, Youngjae grabbed Daehyun’s hand so he would turn around to face him. “Do you want to walk around for a while? There’s a waterfront I heard a lot of people go to at night. The lights there are really beautiful.”

Despite wearing gloves, gloves on gloves, Daehyun could feel how cold Youngjae’s hand was. Daehyun thought for a while before he pulled Youngjae closer to him and bravely cupped his face. “You’re freezing. Maybe another night. You should go inside, Youngjae.”

It’s too cold outside for angels to fly.

Youngjae whined, pouted as he swung Daehyun’s hand with both of his. Daehyun cringed at the sight of the younger boy, how adorable of him to keep holding his hand with two hands. It seemed like a habit.

“Let’s go in, okay?”

“Fine.” Youngjae said, but he looked so sad, Daehyun felt his heart ached.

As he walked Youngjae to the entrance, he stole glances at the other, the pout was still there. In spite of that, he still linked an arm around Daehyun’s while his other hand held Daehyun’s hand.

“Jaebum also never wanted to go.” Youngjae mumbled quietly, Daehyun had to strain to hear him. Daehyun could feel a pang in his chest, how could he be the same with the guy who broke the heart of this angel?

“You’re more beautiful than any of those lights.”

The pout from earlier disappeared as he turned to bit his lower lip. He looked away trying to hide the involuntary blush that decided to tint his plump cheeks.

“Besides, I really wanted to spend some alone time with you.” Daehyun whispered lowly, igniting an even darker blush on Youngjae’s feature. He chuckled when he saw how the other seemed to be squirming when they were in the lift. Youngjae’s grasp on his hand tightened.

As they entered the room, Youngjae took off his coat and offered to take Daehyun’s off as well. Daehyun led the other to the bed, sitting him on the side of the bed, next to him. They sat in silence. There was this wonderful jittery feeling in Daehyun’s stomach, it felt as if the butterflies in his stomach went back into their cocoons, as strange as it may sound.  

After what felt like forever, Daehyun finally broke the silence. “Youngjae, are you still upset that we didn’t go to see those beautiful lights like you wanted?”

Youngjae smiled softly as he shook his head, “I’m sorry to keep comparing you with Jaebum. It’s just that back then when we decided to go to Japan on a vacation, I was expecting a lot from it, but I ended up getting hurt more than fun.”

“I’m sorry.” Daehyun didn’t know why he was apologizing. Maybe he was sorry he didn’t meet Youngjae earlier in life, maybe he was sorry that he couldn’t protect the other from feeling hurt.

“Why are you apologizing, Daehyun? You didn’t do anything wrong. I should be sorry. I should stop bringing him up in every conversation.”

“Don’t be sorry, you came here for that, weren’t you? To reminisce those moments with him?” Daehyun reached out to hold Youngjae’s smaller one. This time without gloves on, skin on skin.

“To remind myself of how awful of a boyfriend he was to me…” Youngjae trailed off for a moment. He stared into Daehyun’s dark orbs. “But I’m happy you’re here with me. I had fun today.” Youngjae smiled sweetly.

“I’m happy to be with you too.” Daehyun muttered with sincerity in his voice. “Can I hug you?”

Youngjae chuckled, nodding shyly. Daehyun shifted closer to him and wrapped his arms around the other. Youngjae leaned into the embrace, head against Daehyun’s beating chest. They stayed that way for a while before Daehyun pulled away and moved his arms to hug Youngjae around a little bit above the waist instead so he could hug his body tighter.  He rocked Youngjae’s body in his arms, inhaling the addictive scent, enjoying the warmth of his body.

Youngjae leaned back a little to look up at Daehyun. “I like you.” His voice was soft and shy.

Daehyun couldn’t help the grin across his face. “I think I’m in love you.” He whispered.

Youngjae’s face bloomed, “I think I’m in love with you too.”

“I love you.” Daehyun said again, purposely making the younger male blush, if it’s possible to blush more than he already had.

Youngjae snuggled into Daehyun’s chest to hide his reddened face.

Are all angels this adorable?

“I want to kiss you.”

He could hear Youngjae whined against his chest. “Why? You don’t want to?”

Youngjae mumbled words Daehyun couldn’t detect. “What’s that, Youngjae? I can’t hear you.”

“I do want to kiss you.”

Daehyun laughed at his timid answer. He cupped Youngjae’s face tenderly and placed a chaste kiss on his lips. The kiss deepened and Daehyun took control of the kiss as he started nibbling on Youngjae’s plump lower lip. Youngjae let out a soft moan at the pleasing sensation, allowing Daehyun to slide his tongue inside, tasting every corner of his mouth. After what felt like forever, they finally parted. Daehyun placed another soft peck on the angel’s lips, not wanting to ever part from it.

“You’re my angel. I believe in angels because of you.”

Youngjae’s eyes watered, overwhelmed by Daehyun’s confessions. “Daehyun, you’re the one protecting me the whole day, you’re the angel.”

“I’m not the one with the halo and the beautiful smile.” He said as he winked.

Youngjae wanted to argue, but figured it’ll be useless. He giggled as he buried his face into Daehyun’s chest. “You’ll stay here with me tonight?”

“Of course.” Daehyun assured him.

“You promise me that you won’t leave?”

“Yes, a thousand times over.”

If angels aren’t ours to keep, I’ll break the rules.

 


Thank you for reading. I love everybody, even if it's just a one sided love. lol

Daehyun is so cheesy uurghhhhh