My Favourite Christmas

My Favourite Christmas

“Aaaaand CUT! That’s a wrap everyone!”

 

 

A loud cheer rang through the crowd as the actors and actresses bowed to the staff and thanked them for their hard work. The staff returned their bows and started clearing up the equipment from the set.

 

 

Hyomin bowed to the other actors and actresses one last time before making a move to leave. On the way out the drama’s director caught her, “Good work Hyomin-ah. That was some fine acting out there.” The pretty brunette bowed to the director, “Gamsahamnida. Thank you for your excellent guidance.”

 

 

“Nonsense, it was all you. It’s good to see you back in dramas.”

 

 

She would be lying to say she didn’t miss acting. Her last big role had been in a Japanese movie and the web drama she casted in had barely sated Hyomin’s thirst for acting. When her manager announced that she had been selected for a role in this drama, Unusual Man and Woman, she was ecstatic. 

 

 

Sure, she wasn’t playing the lead actress or anything, but she loved her role of being a girl who like helping people out and according to the script, she was doing everything she could for a younger flower boy.

 

 

After saying goodbye to the director once more, Hyomin left the building and found her manager waiting for her outside. The winter cold bit her skin even though she was wearing a heavy coat and quickly got in the large black van.

 

 

“How did the shoot go?” asked her manager when the doors closed. Hyomin inwardly thanked her manager for keeping the engine running which meant the van was nice and warm.

 

 

“It went really well, oppa. Junghoon and Hanbyul sunbae-nim are really talented.”

 

 

“That’s good to hear. Do you like your role?”

 

 

“I do. I’m supposed to play this girl who likes helping people.”

 

 

“Yah. That’ll be easy for you, you are already like that. By the way, are you headed home or going somewhere, Sunyoung?”

 

 

“Aniyo oppa, I have something to do at home.”

 

 

“Something or someone?” teased the cheeky manager. Hyomin blushed and gently kicked the back of the driver’s seat, earning a small chuckle from her manager. Before she could nag him further, a beep sounded from her handbag and she reached into it to pull out her phone.

 

 

The T-ara manager noticed Hyomin’s face light up when she saw the sender of the message was and chuckled again when the brunette girl typed a response hurriedly. “Oppa, can’t you go any faster? It’s almost midnight.”

 

 

“Sunyoung, it’s snowing out and I’m going as fast as I can without killing us both. Be patient, I’m sure she’s patiently waiting for you at home.”

 

 

Hyomin blushed at her manager’s words but did not push it. She looked out the window and watched the world flashing by in an orange glow given off by the street lamps. Falling snow had covered the streets, leaving a beautiful white blanket everywhere. How beautiful the world is when you are in love.

 

 

About half an hour later, Hyomin waved goodbye to her manager and wished him a Merry Christmas. “Make sure you behave Sunyoung-ah, otherwise you won’t be getting a visit from Santa,” he called out with a wink and quickly drove away as Hyomin stomped her foot playfully.

 

 

She fumbled in her handbag for her access card and took quick steps across the lobby, hastily jabbing the elevator button when she reached it. A short ride up later left her in front of a large wooden door and Hyomin reached for her phone again to dial a number.

 

 

“Are you home already?”

 

 

“Yes, I am. Are you in there?”

 

 

A soft chuckle could be heard from the phone’s speakers. “Why don’t you go in and see for yourself?”

 

 

Hyomin tapped her access card and opened the door, fumbling to remove her shoes fast when she saw a faint glow coming from the inside. She ran into the living room to find a beautiful Christmas tree had been set up in the corner of the room and had already been decorated with twinkling fairy lights. 

 

 

But there was no one in the room.

 

 

“I see the tree and it’s beautiful, baby. But where are you?” said Hyomin when she placed the phone back on her ear. “You said that you have a surprise for me.”

 

 

“I do. Didn’t you see the Christmas tree?”

 

 

“Is this it? Sunny, I’ve waited for years for you to spend one Christmas with me. You promised me it would be this year.”

 

 

“I know, Minnie. But-“

 

 

“No buts, Sunny! Every year it always ends up with me waiting for you ever since we’ve been together. Do I not mean enough to you for you to show up for one holiday for me or are you just afraid the public will find out about us?!”

 

 

“Hyomin, wait-“

 

 

But Hyomin could not stand it anymore. In her anger, she hung up on Sunny and slumped against the wall crying. She ignored her phone that was ringing constantly and let her emotions spill over through her tears. The phone eventually stopped ringing and Hyomin’s sobs reduced to small sniffs.

 

 

She dragged herself to the bathroom and allowed the hot water to wash off her smudged makeup as she stood there contemplating her love life.

 

 

Sunny was a drug she could not do without. Ever since she had fallen head over heels with the shorter girl on Invincible Youth, she knew that no one else could complete her the way Lee Soonkyu did. Heck, it was Sunny who pulled Hyomin together to make her the celebrity she was today.

 

 

Hyomin could not forget the time that Sunny asked her to be her girlfriend back in Japan during one of the episodes of Invincible Youth. The oblivious girl thought nothing much about the sudden back hug, the holding of hands until they were left alone in the room they shared.

 

 

Even then, Sunny had taken a nap and she fooled around with the camera for a bit. When Sunny woke up, the shorter girl had taken a sheet and threw it over the camera. Hyomin had asked her why she did that and as an answer, she had her first kiss with her crush when Sunny pulled her into her arms.

 

 

“Be mine, my byungpoong. I love you.”

 

 

Sweeter words were never heard and they had been in a relationship up till now. Their next milestone would be their seven year anniversary. Thank god their fans thought nothing about their relationship. Both girls had millions of photos together but decided to tease their fans from time to time with random Instagram posts and comments.

 

 

The Sunbyung couple. 

 

 

Hyomin didn’t care if she was Sunny’s folding screen. That girl was the best thing that’s ever happened to Hyomin. The SNSD member had been there for her through it all, from T-ara’s first win till the scandal that threw them under bus, until her comeback for her second album.

 

 

She loved Sunny to bits and hated herself for that.

 

 

She hated how she was always waiting for Sunny. Always having to be careful when she wanted to post something about them. How Hyomin wished she could show off their relationship to the world. 

 

 

Even when Sunny had bought her a beautiful necklace from Loquet, she had wanted to thank her girlfriend out loud, but Sunny had advised her not to do it. So instead she left a little sad emoji on that Instagram post. Hyomin had huffed and whined to Sunny when she saw Tiffany post a similar gift from Taeyeon and announced it loud and proud.

 

 

“It’s different, they’re in the same group, people see it as a sisterly thing. But I don’t want the netizens to start bad mouthing you if they found out about us, baby.”

 

 

Damned Korean netizens. They make the biggest fuss over the smallest things. She couldn’t even wear the necklace out in public anymore because there were rumours going on about it. Sometimes, she wished she hadn’t chosen the path of a singer.

 

 

When the hot water started turning a little chilly, Hyomin shut off the shower and put on her pyjamas, still feeling miserable. Her tummy growled and she saw that it was already nine o’clock and she had not eaten anything since lunch time.

 

 

The brunette dragged herself into her kitchen and made some ramen since she was in no mood to prepare some fancy Christmas Eve dinner. She was going to be alone anyway, so what the heck.

 

 

She the television and got ready to watch some variety show reruns. Taking a bite of her ramen as she watched an old episode of Running Man, Hyomin heard a beep come from her phone. She sighed heavily, contemplating the decision to check it and curiosity got the better of her.

 

 

There were a couple of missed calls from Sunny, one from her mum and a few text messages. Hyomin purposely left Sunny’s message to the last and replied a couple of people, Eunjung and the other girls included. Finally, she had replied all of them and opened the one from Sunny.

 

 

From: Sunny Bunny

My princess, I didn’t mean to disappoint you. You probably don’t really want to talk to me and I totally get it. Your present is at the bottom of the tree. Please open it at midnight. I love you, Sunyoung.

 

 

Hyomin sighed loudly and glanced at the foot of the Christmas tree where a small box lay. She padded over to it and smiled when she picked it up. The present was wrapped with paper that had Minnie Mouse prints all over it and a little note attached to the ribbons in the shape of a bunny.

 

 

Open me at midnight.

 

 

That was all that was stated on the note. Hyomin felt a bit compelled to open it there and then but resisted the urge and went back to her reruns. Now and then she would glance down at the small box and she set the alarm on her phone to make sure she didn’t miss midnight.

 

 

Halfway through the second episode, Hyomin who was tired out from the day’s filming, let sleep claim her as she dozed off on her couch. Dreamland was kind to her, feeding her with dreams of her girlfriend whom she missed badly.

 

 

It felt like she had only slept for a minute when the blaring of her phone woke her up. She slowly opened one eye and saw that it was two minutes till midnight and temporarily forgot why the hell she would wake herself up from such a good sleep.

 

 

The box on her coffee table quickly reminded her why she did so and the brunette sat up, unsure whether to be excited for her gift or sad that she didn’t get the Christmas she wanted. Like a kid on Christmas morning, she counted the seconds to midnight.

 

 

Ten.. Nine.. Eight.. 

 

 

Seven.. Six.. Five..

 

 

Four.. Three.. Two..

 

 

“Merry Christmas,” she whispered sadly as her clock started chiming and Hyomin carefully opened the gift. She had shaken it earlier and it felt extremely light, piquing the singer’s curiosity.

 

 

Inside sat a letter and tears welled in her brown eyes as she read it.

 

 

My dear Byungpoong,

If you’re reading this, then you must hate me for not being there with you on Christmas. Your bunny is sowwee..

 

 

Hyomin giggled, imagining Sunny’s aegyo as she wrote it.

 

 

..but I just wanted you to know that this doesn’t mean I don’t love you. Baby, I know you want to show us off to the world and it kills me inside too. But you know that I want only the best for you, and this involves us staying hidden until we retire together.

 

Minnie, remember the time on Invincible Youth when the rest declared you to be my folding screen and I gave you a piggy back? You thought that you were benefitting from me? The truth is, it was the other way around. 

 

Before you, I had always been one of the SNSD girls and even though Shinyoung said I was a star on the show, reality was, it was all a mask I put on. A mask you helped me remove. 

 

You were the first person I could show my real self to and the first person to love me with all her heart. You touched me in more than million ways with your love. And I don’t mean just in bed. 

 

 

“B-byuntae,” laughed Hyomin weakly through her tears.

 

 

And when you wrote that letter to me, it was then I realized I was just as madly in love with you as you were with me. I knew I had to act soon, male celebs are wolves and the jealousy I felt every time one of them spoke to you was because I loved you too.

 

I can’t forget the night in Japan. Do you know that I pissed my manager off when he found out I hugged you and held your hand in public? But I told him I didn’t care. I wanted people to know that you are mine and I am yours. Though I still don’t like the way Sungmin held you during your Fake It song. No one should hold you like that except me.

 

You’ve captured me with your beauty and kindness, my sweetheart. You have no idea how beautiful you are. I swear I had a nosebleed when you showed me your Sketch music video and I would have probably fainted at your open studio. You’re still so blur even when giving me the correct time, or I would have been there. But it doesn’t matter, I found your stuttering on the phone really cute. If you hadn’t switched me off the speaker, your fans may have accidentally heard the part that I blurted out that I love you on the phone.

 

It’s probably around five to ten minutes past twelve and it’s time for your real present, my love. It’s left in front of your apartment door. It’s all yours, Sunyoung. I love you and Merry Christmas.

 

 

Hyomin wiped the tears off her face and grabbed a napkin from the coffee table to wipe her runny nose. The letter meant more to her than anything in the world. But she was excited to see what Sunny had sent to her and got up to open the front door.

 

 

She quickly checked her reflection in the mirror, in fear Sunny had left some sort of hidden camera somewhere to catch her expression when she saw the present. Deciding she looked pleasant enough, she pulled the door open and her jaw dropped.

 

 

Sunny.

 

 

The small figure stood shivering from the cold but a bright smile broke out on the girl’s face when she saw Hyomin.

 

 

“Hi.”

 

 

Hyomin stood there, gaping like an idiot. Sunny watched the absent minded girl and let out a small chuckle.

 

 

“Erm, am I allowed in or do I have to stand here cause-“

 

 

Sunny was unable to finish her sentence as Hyomin threw herself into Sunny’s arms and the waterworks started again. The shorter girl was a little stunned but smiled and hugged her girlfriend back tightly, shedding a few tears of her own.

 

 

After what felt like an eternity in each other’s arms, Sunny pulled away slightly from Hyomin, “Can I come in?” The brunette nodded dumbly and pulled her girlfriend inside. Sunny reached behind her to pull a large suitcase she brought along with her into the apartment.

 

 

Sunny looked around the apartment and saw the empty ramen bowl on the table. Was this all her Christmas going to be? thought the SNSD singer sadly. She looked over at Hyomin who was busy fixing up a cup of hot chocolate for her shivering girlfriend.

 

 

“Hyominnie.. I’m sorry.”

 

 

A loud clang was heard when Hyomin accidentally let the spoon she was holding fall into the sink. The brunette whipped around with large eyes, “W-wae. W-why are you sorry?”

 

 

“For making think that this was going to be a lousy Christmas.”

 

 

Hyomin shook her head rapidly, “A-aniyo. Your letter..” her voice trailed off as she choked on her words, “..your letter meant more to me than you could ever imagine.”

 

 

They both stared at each other for a long time and everything happened so fast. The two singers dropped whatever they were holding to move into each other’s arms. Their lips met aggressively for a passionate kiss. Tongues battled each other and hands roamed as the two sought to make up for lost time.

 

 

“I missed you, baby,” said Sunny breathlessly in between kisses.

 

 

“I’ve missed you more, bunny.”

 

 

The rest of the night was a heated blur as they both showed each other how much they truly missed each other.

 

 

 

 

—————

 

 

 

 

Christmas morning arrived and the sun shone brightly into the room where the two girls lay in each other’s arms. Sunny was the first to wake and she watched her girlfriend with loving eyes. She smiled when she saw Hyomin stir in her sleep and not long after, Sunny was looking into the most beautiful eyes on earth.

 

 

“Good morning, Minnie.”

 

 

“Mmm.. Good morning, Sunny.”

 

 

Sunny smiled when Hyomin nestled closer to her. “D-did you like your Christmas surprise?” Hyomin’s smile joined hers and she nodded, “I did.” The two lay in each other’s embrace for a while more and Hyomin lifted her head to look at Sunny.

 

 

“In fact, it’s my favourite Christmas this year.”

 

 

“Why’s that?”

 

 

“Cause you’re finally in my arms on Christmas morning.”

 

 

“Don’t forget last night too,” Sunny said and waggled her eyebrows at a blushing Hyomin. “Byuntae bunny,” Hyomin squealed and playfully smacked Sunny’s arm. “How’s your family?” asked Hyomin, knowing that Sunny had visited her sisters not too long ago. 

 

“They’re doing good. My nephew is one cheeky little ball of energy.”

 

 

“Mmm.. Sounds like someone I know.”

 

 

Sunny chuckled and her girlfriend’s hair lovingly, “I never got to wish you congratulations on your comeback in person.” Hyomin shook her head gently, “Aniyo, it’s fine.”

 

 

“Is the album doing well? I heard a lot of Koreans are getting back into being T-ara Queens.”

 

 

“Sort of. We just wanted to thank the fans for how loving they’ve been. The Queens in China even spent a bomb voting for our songs.”

 

 

“That’s good. What happened in the past should stay there. I really like your songs by the way.”

 

 

“Jjinja? Omo, that makes me happy. I’m sure the girls would too. But sometimes when I sing, I forget I’m dedicating it to the fans and think of you.”

 

 

The two looked at each other lovingly and Hyomin spoke once more, “I love you, Lee Soonkyu. Promise me that you’ll always be mine.” Sunny placed a gentle kiss on Hyomin’s lips.

 

 

“For as long as I breathe, Park Sunyoung, I’m yours.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 

Author’s Note:

Hello again! 

Only two weeks more to Christmas! I hope you liked this one-shot!

It was hard thinking of a storyline but I decided to base it on real life.

I’m currently working on another piece so do stay tuned to that one!

Thanks to all those who’ve read this! Feel free to comment and gimme some feedback! :)

 

 

PS. New Sunbyung fanfic is up: Blood - FYI, It's rated (M) due to its verbiage and rated scenes.