Angel in the sky

Angel in the sky

Title: Angel in the sky

Words count: 942 words


This is the final boarding call for passenger Jung Daehyun booked on flight KAL322 to Kansai. Please proceed to gate 3 immediately. The final checks are being completed and the captain will order for the doors of the aircraft to close in approximately five minutes time. I repeat. This is the final boarding call for Jung Daehyun. Thank you.

Daehyun was startled upon hearing his name on the announcement, he put his DSLR camera back into its bag after turning it off. He got up from his seat and made his way to gate 3, leaving his half full cup of Americano behind.

After finally entering the aircraft, Daehyun peeked at his ticket to make sure he would get the number of his seat right. As he got to his seat, he placed his luggage into the compartment above him before settling down on his seat. He glanced at the person next to him, the young man looking out of the window, seatbelt still unbuckled.

An on board announcement was made and Daehyun warily glanced at the passenger next to him, contemplating whether or not he should ask him to sit up straight and buckle up his seatbelt, but decided against it.

“Excuse me, sir. We are about to take off, kindly put on your seat belt. Thank you.” A flight attendant said to the young man beside him.

“Oh okay. I’m sorry.” Came a reply, sadness buried within his voice.

Right then, that very moment, when Daehyun turned his head to face the other guy, it was exactly that 3 seconds of captivation moment. He mouthed a soft ‘wow’, immediately regretting it later when he saw soft hue of pink surfacing on the other’s cheeks.

This young man was unquestionably the definition of ‘angel on earth’. The only person the cheesy pick up line ‘did it hurt when you fell from heaven’ was invented for. This was beyond doubt the situation where one feels like he is in ‘heaven’.

“Hey, is something wrong?” the angel spoke.

“You’re really beautiful.”

Daehyun silently cursed himself for saying that out loud.

The other male pursed his lips as his face reddened from the bold remarks.

“Thank you.” He said as he let out a soft laugh awkwardly before leaning back into his seat.

How do you know if it’s love at first sight?

Daehyun sank into his seat and closed his eyes.

His palms were starting to get sweaty, there’s a strange jittery feeling in his belly, and his heartbeats were so loud he could literally hear them.

If he could sketch up his feelings into a piece of paper it would be filled with colors and shapes he’d never seen before.

Daehyun was so indulged in his feelings, he didn’t even realize there were already up in the air. He fought with his inner self trying not to glance to the person on his right. But it was impossible not to.

The clouds floating behind the glass were the perfect back drop for the angel who was looking out of the window, hands placed on the frame.

Do you miss heaven that much?

Unconsciously, Daehyun took out his camera and started capturing the heavenly view displaying right in front of him. The first click was followed by another and then another. He couldn’t stop; there was an angel right in front of him, what else could he do?

As he was about to capture his fourth masterpiece, the young man suddenly turned around, wide doe eyes looking confused.  Daehyun stopped his ministrations and immediately apologized for what he did.

The other smiled at him, “It’s fine, do you want to switch seats so you could take a better picture of the clouds?”

“Oh no no.” Daehyun waved his hands in the air, “I wasn’t trying to-“ He paused before hesitantly continue, “I was trying to take a picture of you with the clouds. I’m sorry! I’ll delete it.” Daehyun rushed to his camera to delete the pictures but was stopped by a delicate hand placed on his own.

“You don’t have to do that. It’s fine.”

Daehyun’s gaze moved from his camera to the small hand on his. The other quickly pulled his hand away after realizing Daehyun’s surprised stare on it. He muttered a quiet sorry, “Can I look at the pictures?”

Daehyun looked up at him and swallowed thickly, “Sure.” He handed the camera over and watched as the other analyzed the picture of his own beautiful self. “D-do you like it?”

“Wow! These are amazing.” The angel spoke softly.

“You’re amazing” Daehyun mumbled just above a whisper. The other smiled shyly as he handed the camera back.

“I’m Youngjae.” He said.

Daehyun, too, introduced himself. He told Youngjae that he was going to Osaka to capture some beautiful winter scenery in the city. Youngjae told him he was going to Osaka for a vacation.

“By yourself?” Daehyun asked.

The other nodded his head sadly. “I have something that I’ve got to do.”

Daehyun later learned that Youngjae recently broke up with his boyfriend and was going to Osaka to reminisce the sweet memories he had with his past lover and finally let go and move on.

I guess angels get hurt too.

“If it’s okay with you, would you like to spend some time with me during your vacation? I’d really need some company.” Daehyun finally found the courage in him to utter those words as the on board announcement announced that they’ll be landing soon.

“I’d love that.” Youngjae voiced out, smiling so sweet, Daehyun had to fight the urge to pinch him on those adorable cheeks.

Angels do exist.