iii.

All of My Dream

A/N: It's been...a while haha. Sorry about the wait. I've been totally without inspiration for this fic. I still am, but I've decided to post what I have written. I would have liked to give a longer update, but I really wanted to post something for GFriend's comeback. On that note, don't forget to stream Love Whisper!


In yet another show, yet another person expresses disbelief that Sinbi and Yewon are the same age. Sinbi knows that she looks rather mature for her age and Yewon looks the opposite, but they make it sound like she looks like an old lady or something. Excuse you, she’s still at the peak of her youth, okay?

“Sulking again?” Sojung asks wryly.

“Am not,” Sinbi mutters.

“Even if you look older than Yewon and she’s the maknae, you act like the baby.”

“Are you trying to make me feel better? If so, it’s not working.”

Sojung’s mouth quirks up. “I didn’t know you need someone to make you feel better, since you’re not sulking. Are you sulking after all?”

“I do not act like the baby,” Sinbi objects. “I don’t even have any aegyo.”

“I beg to differ,” Sojung says archly, but she softens. “Well, I’m sure Buddies appreciate how much practice you put into winking.”

Sinbi makes a face. It still takes her way too much effort to wink, but at least she can do it now without half her face scrunching up. Eunha wouldn’t stop making fun of her after her winking failures, but then again Eunha doesn’t need an excuse to make fun of her.

Sojung laughs. “Even when you’re winking your face is doing its own thing.”

“My face always does its own thing,” Sinbi says. “I don’t know what it’s doing and I don’t think it knows either.”

“Well, whatever it’s doing, keep it up. Your expressions are very entertaining.”

“Thanks, I’m so glad I can entertain you.”

“And cute,” Sojung adds.

“Well, I’m also glad that I can cute you.” Sinbi knows that cute isn’t a verb, but—whatever. She’s going to use it like one.

Sojung laughs again, her dimpline showing up. “You’re definitely good at cuting us.” She pinches Sinbi’s cheek, and Sinbi makes a disgruntled face but doesn’t try to get away. She knows when resistance is futile. “What a precious maknae.”

“Now you sound like Yerin unnie.”

“Am I going to make you throw up too?”

“No,” Sinbi says. “You don’t make me nauseous. Well, not yet anyway.”

“I’m flattered,” Sojung says, and although her voice is dry her eyes are bright.

“You should be,” Sinbi says, and Sojung smiles. Sinbi is very glad she invented the word ‘dimpline,’ because Sojung’s dimpline definitely deserves to have a word of its own.

 

Sojung is practicing a body roll when her spine emits a loud crack. Sinbi almost falls over laughing; it’s only Yerin beside her that stops her from collapsing onto the ground.

“Are you okay, grandma?” Sinbi asks, almost wiping away tears.

“Yeah, don’t break anything,” Yerin says. “The last thing we need is another injured member.”

That sobers up the atmosphere relatively quickly, but then Sojung straightens up and this time her neck cracks and they all succumb to laughter again.

“You won’t laugh when you’re my age and your body does the same thing,” Sojung grumbles.

“I don’t think saying things like ‘when you’re my age’ helps your case, unnie,” Sinbi says. “Or should I say, halmeoni?”

Sojung gives her a glare that Sinbi got immune to…oh, about the third time she saw it. “You know, I comforted you when you were sulking about your age.”

“I wasn’t sulking,” Sinbi says automatically.

“Calling it brooding doesn’t change it,” Eunha tells her. “You were so sulking.”

“You don’t even know what we’re talking about!”

Eunha tosses her hair back. “I know everything.”

“She thinks she does anyway,” Sojung stage whispers to Sinbi, who smiles. “Anyway, I’m feeling very betrayed right now, Eunbi.”

“Okay unnie, you’re not old. Your joints aren’t creaky. You’re the youngest, hippest grandma I’ve ever met. How’s that?”

Sojung rolls her eyes, although the corners of are quirking up. “Such a flatterer.”

Sinbi grins. “I give the best compliments, no?”

Sojung reaches over as if to pat her head, but touches her cheek instead, the touch a bit too solid and lingering to be called a pat. Sinbi swallows, involuntarily. Sojung’s fingers are so long that she can easily cradle Sinbi’s cheek in one hand, and it’s like that’s what she’s doing, holding something fragile and precious.

“Definitely,” Sojung says, and Sinbi tries not to blush.

 

SinB’s iPad is taking forever to update, and she’s b o r e d.

“What are you doing?” Sojung asks when she sees Sinbi glaring at her tablet like it’s personally wronged her. (It has, by taking this long when she needs it.)

“Waiting for iOS to update.”

“And is giving your iPad your best death glare helping?”

“Yes,” Sinbi says without lifting her eyes from the screen. “I’m just giving it some motivation, the way you motivate us when we don’t want to practice anymore.”

“I believe that’s you, Ms. Drill Sergeant,” Sojung says, amused. “I’m a victim of your militant ways too.”

“It’s not my fault if you find it hard to keep up with us kids, unnie,” Sinbi says, finally taking her eyes away from her impending update to give Sojung her best innocent look. It doesn’t seem to be working, but Sojung doesn’t look mad or annoyed. She looks—beautiful, a corner of Sinbi’s mind whispers, and she slaps a mental hand over its mouth.

“You’re such a brat,” Sojung says, but her eyes have gone dark.

“You always call me that,” Sinbi says. “Isn’t it time for a new name?”

“What do you want me to call you then?” Sojung asks, taking a half-step toward her. Because she’s built like a giraffe, her half-step is more like a full step and it takes her very close to Sinbi.

I want you to call me yours, Sinbi thinks, but she can only say, “Unnie,” the word leaving her lips as half breath.

“I’m not going to call you unnie,” Sojung says, amused.

“I wasn’t telling you to!” Sinbi’s voice almost cracks. She clears . “I take it back,” she mutters.

“Take what back?”

“Nothing. I was just thinking something.” Sojung is looking at her in that mind-reading way again, and Sinbi wants to tell her to get out of her head. She’s already in Sinbi’s head far too much.

“You’re cute when you get embarrassed.”

“I’m not embarrassed!” Sinbi’s voice actually cracks this time.

Sojung pats her cheek, her fingers lingering on Sinbi’s skin. “Cute,” she repeats, and Sinbi feels her face warm so much she worries Sojung will feel it.