First Impressions & A Deal

Christmas Kindness A Holiday Story (HIATUS)

Mitchie's POV

"Ms. Mitchie! Hey-Hey! Ms. Mitchie!" We all clap signaling the end of class. "Alright, really good work today but please don't forget to complete the assignments I've given you over the weekend...Oh! And Kyu-Min?"

"Ye-Yes, Ms. Mitchie?" He answers shyly as the rest of my students continue to pack up.

I walk over to a twelve year old boy's desk and pass him a folder containing his latest grade, and he winces opening it.

"You passed the level," I whisper and he looks up at me entirely shocked causing me to laugh. "You see what happens when you actually try?" I add ruffling his hair. 

"I...I really passed?" He asks hesitantly, and I nod. 

"It shouldn't be that surprising," I say squatting in front of him. "I've told you time and time again that you're your own worst enemy. If you continue to keep trying your hardest, your potential is limitless."

He bites his full bottom lip, and I watch his dark brown eyes swell with pride and I smile even bigger as the announcement signaling the end of the school day comes on the intercom. 

"Hey, I'll see you Sunday at church okay?"

"Okay," he says starting to scramble out of his seat to grab his things.

"And if you need help with this weekend's homework, just let me know so I can help you."

"Okay!" He says excitedly rushing to put on his coat and hat. "Thanks again, Mitchie-Sunbae!" He bows low as fast as possible before darting out of the classroom and into Jacob. 

"Whoa! Where's the rush?" He asks steadying the boy. 

"Sorry, Mr. Parker!" He bows before racing down the hall. "BUT I PASSED MY LEVEL!"

I stand up smiling hearing him run down the hall and out of ear-shot, and Jacob chuckles coming over to where I am. 

"He better be glad he's got you for a teacher," he smiles knowingly. 

"Hey, stop it okay" I defend starting to straighten the chairs within my classroom. "That boy has more heart than any other kid in my class. And with the extra sessions I've been giving him, he's quickly catching up to my other students...He just can't handle pressure yet."

"Whatever you say," he smirks and I make a face. "You can't afford to be easy on him, just because he's one of your favorites."

"Look, I know you just aced your evaluation-"

"Uh-huh."

"And you're most likely going to get 'English-Teacher-Of-The-Year'-"

"For the third consecutive year, I might add" he shrugs modestly and I scoff.

"It still doesn't give you the right to tell me what to do, or give your little pointers on how to be a better teacher."

"For the record," he smiles helping me adjust the desks. "I happen to think you're an excellent teacher."

I feel my eyes narrow looking at him skeptically and he looks down fighting another smile. 

"Why do I feel like this opinion comes with a downside?"

"There is no downside," He chuckles. "You just have a soft heart."

"Ya-See!" I grin before making my point. "Downside."

"Whatever," he says shaking his head still smiling. "Are you still coming out with us for drinks?"

"I can't," I wince. "I'm volunteering at theSoup Kitchen."

"Yeah, but don't you always volunteer there?"

My eyebrows raise a little implying that he's being self-centered, and he shakes his head immediately trying to sound different.

"I just mean that you could take a break. Have some fun?"

"I have fun" I challenge. 

"But are you? Or are you just telling yourself that?" He says cocking his head to the side. "I mean, you're always working or volunteering...What if I took you out for a night on the town?"

"A night on the town?"

"Yeah, I mean we could go for dinner. A little dancing? I know this great spot with amazing Mexican food and Salsa music-"

"I'd love too."

He blinks a few times confused and I smile a little wider. "Re-Really?"

"Yeah, it sounds like fun" I nod walking over to the white-board to erase the day's lesson. "Just not tonight, or this weekend. In fact it's probably best if we don't plan for next weekend either."

"Wait-Why?" He asks starting to frown. "I thought-"

"I can't just not go, I made a previous committment and I have to follow through. So many people are counting on those meals."

"Okay, fine. But two Friday's from now you, me. Carlito's Latin Cafe."

"You got it!" I say give him a warm smile starting to head for the doorway of my classroom.  "Hey, Lea!"

Lea's head pops out of her classroom a few doors down, with her signature smile already starting to spread across her face. 

"Two Fridays from now, let's get the group together for dinner and dancing."

"Wait-What?"

I turn back to look at him, and his face just falls in disappointment. "Two Fridays from now. That is the date we set, right?"

"Yeah but-" he says stopping mid-sentence. He smiles a little to himself before shaking his head. "I just, thought maybe it could be...just us" he admits a little shyly. "But I understand completely if you wanna go in a group..Less pressure."

What he's implying suddenly clicks in my brain and I begin to feel insensitive and stupid for ignoring all of the previous signs.

"Jacob-"

"Mitchie, it's cool" he shrugs brushing it off. "As long as you remember to save me at least three dances."

I smile wide trying to make him feel better. "Absolutely. I promise."

"Alright," he nods coolly before exiting the classroom. "Hey, I gotta finish a few things. But have a good weekend, okay?"

"Thanks...you-you too" I say a little nervously suddenly becoming a little flustered. "And if my plans change," I start and he an eyebrow perfectly before giving me an amused smirk. 

"No worries, I've got you two Fridays from now" he adds smoothly before resting a hand on Lea's shoulder as he exits. "Hey, Lea."

"Uh-huh-hmm-Heyyyy" she gurgles entering my room and I purse my lips so I don't laugh. "What-The-" she mouths as soon as he's gone.

Lea burries her hands in her face, allowing her adorably quirky frame to bump into a desk and she shrieks. 

"You okay?" I ask and she scoffs before brushing her brown hair out of her face. 

"No! That man is too attractive for his own good. And I swear he has a habit of catching me at my worst...Like I can't even talk in front of him!" She complains walking over to where I am. "And even though I'm totally jealous that he likes you, I'm honestly not even that upset. He's too intimidatingly-wonderful" she sighs. "I mean, what do you even say to someone that delicious-"

"A-hem."

Lea's bright blue eyes engorge in mortification as he clears his throat overhearing our conversation. I wince so hard it becomes a grimace as the entire situation becomes awkward. Lea keeps her back to him and he continues to stay in the hallway enjoying the moment.

"I just came back to ask if seven was a good time for Carlito's."

"Seven? Seven sounds great. Thanks Jacob" I hurry trying to get him to leave and he nods with another smile.

"Cool...Hey Lea," he grins. "You're still coming out for drinks later, right?"

She makes another face only I can see before choking out a quick answer. "Wouldn't miss it."

"Okay, I'll see you then" he adds finally choosing to leave.

"What is wrong with me?!" She whines before laughing. "Starting now, I'm officially shutting up."

"You're being ridiculous. It wasn't that bad-"

"Not that bad? Not that bad! Mitchie, like-" she starts but she ends up laughing. "You know what, I'm not sorry he heard me. That man is fine. He's smart and really nice. And I like the way his fits his dress pants-"

"Lea. I get it."

"I don't think you do," she giggles. "Not all of us were blessed with your Saint-like immunity to the opposite ."

"Just because I volunteer at a soup kitchen-"

"And don't forget the animal shelter. Not to mention all of the programs you run at your church and help out at the school."

I frown hearing her recite my usual hangouts. "Am I really that bad?"

"No...but you definitely take humanitarianism to an entirely different level...But I get it. It's easier to keep busy than thinking about-"

I give her a look and she immediately stops talking knowing that it's starting to become a topic I don't want to talk about, and she winces before changing the subject. 

"Let me know how tonight goes, okay?" I say starting to pack up my things, and she nods heading back to her classroom.

A few hours later I'm shrugging on my coat and shutting off the light to my classroom, before walking down the familiar hallways to get to the entrance of the school. 

"Oh! Mitchie-ssi!"

"Sunbae," I say ducking my head to one of my supervisors. "I didn't realize anyone was still here."

"Yes, unfortunately" An older man with salt-n-pepper hair and tired eyes sighs. "I'm on detention duty."

"Oh," I nod looking into one of the learning rooms. "Hopefully it's nothing too serious."

"I'm afraid it is. The boy inside is a constant aggrivation to his teachers by providing petty distractions to disrupt the lessons. He refuses to cooporate and he does just enough to land himself in detention each and everyday since the school-year started...Until today."

I frown. "What, happened today?"

"He stole some supplies from a utility closet and trashed his classroom, while everyone was at lunch."

My eyes spread. "You're kidding."

"I'm not. It took hours just to clean up the mess" he sighs. "In fact I'm waiting to meet with his father. This seems to be the only time anyone can get in contact with him."

I frown glancing back into the room. A Korean boy, a little older than my students sits at a table profusely writing in a notebook. He bites his lip in frustration before beginning to erase all the work he's done. I watch him glance over to the corner to see a little girl with similar features swinging her feet back and forth in a chair clearly bored. 

"Hey, I know you're leaving but would you mind watching them while I go to the restroom?"

"Yeah. Sure," I reply shrugging it off. "I'll just be in here."

He smiles ducking his head again before scurrying off, and I walk inside the room. I go over to his table and he continues to ignore me. 

"Would you like some help?" I offer brightly and he keeps his head low.

"No thank you, I'm fine."

"...Are you sure?" I hedge squatting down across from him. "I know I teach English, but you know what they say...Math is the same in every country."

He looks up at me in a clear mood and I scrunch my face seeing that he's not budging. 

"Well...I'm gonna leave you alone. But, if you need some help-"

The little girl rushes to my side before tugging on my shirt. "Its best to leave him alone when he's like this...Come on, you can sit with me" she says taking my hand in order to tug me to her spot on the carpet. 

The boy exhales hard and I look back and scoff just in time to see him roll his eyes before getting back to his work.

"Is he your brother?"

"Mhm-hmm. Do-Hyun, the Dummy" she teases and I eat a chuckle. "I'm just kidding, my brother's the smartest one I know." 

"Oh, he is?"

She nods proudly. "Yeah...so don't take it to heart that he doesn't need your help. He's being slow on purpose."

I frown a little confused glancing back at his figure. I sigh shaking my head looking back to the little girl staring at me. She's probably has the cutest face I've ever seen, with her angled face and pixie-like frame. Messy long dark hair kept in a braid, with a skinny black headband to keep the flyaways in place. Small beady eyes and a button nose. She's wearing a tight dark blue sweater and worn jeans.

I don't feel bad in the slightest for noticing her so closely, because I can tell from her happy smile she's been doing the same to me and right now she seems completely entranced by my hair. My tight and abundant curls that easily form a fierce mane, frame my long face and Amazonian-type features. 

"What's your name?" She asks curiously and I smile.

"Ms. Mitchie..."

Her face wrinkles. 

"Something wrong?"

She twists and I raise my eyebrows waiting for her to explain. "Your name...It's not foreign."

"Oh..Well, my name is too hard for most people to say. So, I use a nickname."

"Can I try to say it?"

I make a face. "It's super long," I warn teasingly and she brightens up not caring. "Okay...it's...  Super-Cali-Fragilistic-Expi-Ali-Docious," I expel in one breath and she looks at me shocked. 

"Impossible" she quips causing us both to laugh.

"You're right...My name is, Michelle Robinson."

"Wait..say it again. Slowly."

I repeat my name a few times and by the third or fourth try she can correctly pronounce my name. 

"You sound just like a native," I smile and she wiggles her eyebrows proudly. "What's your last name?"

"Baek Yae-Jun. Nothing uncommon or special about it," she sighs a little disappointedly.

"That may be true..but your name doesn't make you special. You're already special, just by being you."

Her tiny, rose-tinted lips part into a warm smile and she wiggles in her spot feeling a sudden surge of self-confidence. 

"Are you from America?"

I nod and she smiles a little bigger.

"Where's the most exciting place you've been?"

"In America?"

"Anywhere?" She says excitedly. "Where is it the prettiest?"

I frown starting to think. "Paris."

"France?"

"Mhm.." I nod. "My favorite time of year is Christmas, and the lights in Paris are not only beautiful but everywhere...And when it get's dark it's like being inside a pot of gold. Everything bright and warm and..."

I stop-mid sentence remembering the last time I was there, and the memory pangs me square in the chest. I shake my head before returning my attention back to the little girl.

"And what?" She urges and I smile. 

"And happy," I finish.  

She pouts a little thinking I was going to say something different before her face brightens into a grin. "Appa!"

She scurries up from the floor in order to run over to him, and she collides into his leg. He winces with a tired laugh before crouching down to inspect her face, before her cheek lovingly. He's tall so his figure looks a little funny kneeling because his legs are so long. Elfin features if that makes sense, like he looks like he could be the Asian equivalent of Thranduil in Lord of the Rings. He wears worn out jeans and a thick black jacket and a grey slouchy sweater hat, allowing the messy tufts of his dark hair to poke through. He's got five-o-clock shadow which is highly uncommon for a Korean man since most like to go with the clean face, but it somehow works for him.

He's good looking, but I should've guessed from the features of his children. They're all good-looking so their mother must be just as beautiful.

"How was school?" He asks and she sighs. 

"Nothing special...but Appa, can we go to Paris?"

"What?" He scoffs. "Where did you get an idea like that?"

"Ms. Mitchie" she says pointing over to me. "She's says the entire city turns to gold at Christmas, and I want to see it. So can we go?"

He winces unsure of how to respond. "How about you go get your things and we'll talk about it later..Do-Hyun, let's go."

"Uhm, excuse me?" I say getting up from the floor, and both children scurry around to gather their belongings. "I don't think you'll be able to take them-"

"Who says?" He quips as Yae-Jun comes back to his side. He scoops the little girl up into his arms before giving me a harsh stare. "Who are you?"

I blink a few times already starting to frown from his tone. "Ms.-"

"You know it doesn't even really matter," he says turning to walk for the door. "Thank you for watching my children-

"That's just it, Mr. Baek" I say suddenly finding my voice. "I wasn't babysitting...Your son was serving detention."

"Same thing."

My eyes stretch in surprise. "No it is not, there's a big difference...Your son trashed a classroom-"

"Did he apologize?" He sighs as the boy shrugs on his coat. "Do-Hyun-ah...Hurry up and apologize to your teacher so we can go."

"She's not my teacher" he answers easily putting on his hat.

"Does it really matter if it shuts her up? We have to go."

I scoff realizing that this is the worst of his punishment. "I'm pretty sure that's not the purpose of an apology."

"Look lady..I don't have time for this" he says irritated, turning to leave once more.

"Well, that much is clear" I snide and he flicks his head towards my direction in order to shoot me another glare. 

"Excuse me?" He says straightening himself to seem taller and more intimidating. 

"It's obvious you aren't taking the time to discipline your son. Why else would he lack enough self-control in order to land himself in detention every day since the school year started," I comment and he raises his eyes, while the little girl winces. "In fact, this all seems like serious cry for help that you seem too busy to ignore. Which makes perfect sense why you' feel like you don't have time to be a parent."

He takes in a deep breath, clearly debating whether or not to continue this conversation but we're interrupted by my supervisor. 

"Oh! Mr. Baek."

He sighs gravely and aggitated. "Yes."

"It's nice to finally meet you, I was half expecting you to be imaginary. Your telephone number seems to be out of service."

"I've been away on business, and it makes it difficult to phone...However I am aware of the situation with my son, and I can assure you it won't happen again."

"But I-" My supervisor tries, but he's already leaving.

"Let's go" he orders giving me a final look and I return it just as fiercely, as the children follow him out. 

 

Seung-Ho's POV

(Another Hour Later...)

"Come on man, you know the rules. We can't accept anyone after six."

"I get that, but.." I say attempting to stay calm. "Its cold. My kids are hungry and-"

"You're seriously going to use your children to weasle yourself in?"

"If you can't take me, that's fine. Just let me leave them. I'll pick them up first thing-"

"This is a shelter, not a daycare" the man sneers shutting the door in my face. 

A second later I'm slamming my fist into the door, and my hand shoots it's retaliation letting me know that I've officially broken two fingers. I cry out into the night from frustration and pain, and I look at the two faces of my beautiful and innocent children leaning up against a lamp-post. 

I think that's the part I hate most about my situation...the fact that I'm dragging my kids down with me and they don't hate me for it. Even now they aren't staring at me with disgust or disappointment; just concern for me. 

"Hey Dad?"

I scoff. "Yeah, son?"

"This place was a dump anyway" he says scrunching up his nose. "And if it's a choice between sleeping out here or in there I'd take the streets any-day."

"Me too!" Yae-Jun chimes in. "Besides, mean people stay here."

I smile thinking how she's putting it extremely polite. The last time we stayed here I had to sing to my children for an entire night, as they slept in a janitor's closet because that was the only place I felt safe enough to be with them after I overheard what a few other scumbags within the shelter had planned to do to them.

"We'll find someplace better" she peeps and I nod perking myself back up. 

"Well, let's do it soon before it get's any colder."

We spend what feels like hours walking up and down the different streets, stumbling upon shelter after shelter seeking a place to stay and they all say the same thing. 

No.

"Alright..I'm picking the next one" Yae-Jun groans skipping ahead to get to St. Nicholas' Homeless Shelter. She rings the bell on the door and a man opens the door. "Hello, Father...I know it's past six o'clock, but may we please come in?"

"We?"

"Even if you could only take my son and daughter. It's cold and..." I say rushing a little to talk to the man. "I know you probably have a cut-off time-"

"Non-sense. As long as we have room, you're more than welcomed to stay," the old man smiles opening the door wider. "Please, come inside and get warm."

I guide the children in first and we all take a quick look at our surroundings before seeing the area. It's large and split off into different sections. A reading corner, a meal station, computer and workspace area, and the sleeping area in the back. 

They have me fill out the necessary forms and show us our room for the night, before handing me a key-card. It's small with a large cot, blankets and pillows. I take a deep breath glancing around the room, before Yae-Jun claps her hands in approval. 

"Alright, let's leave our stuff here and get something to eat" Do-Hyun adds and I nod ruffling his head, and the three of us shrug off our coats. 

We exit the room and head down the hallway back to the heart of the building. Some guy is over at the piano playing Christmas carols, with a bunch of people singing around him. Some are working at the computer stations, another group playing with a group of kids. My children ignore it all and head directly for the food station and we stand in line to get served. Do-Hyun passes a tray to Yae-Jun and I and we enter into the kitchen. They pile up different dishes and hot soup and we exit finding a place to sit off to the side. 

"It's good," Yae-Jun smiles happily, blowing on another spoonful of soup.  

I scoff secretly wishing that being here wasn't a necessity, and I begin eating. And , she's right. It is good. 

"So, you wanna tell me what happened at school today?"

Yae-Jun twists before looking to Do-Hyun. 

"Something about..Trashing a classroom?" I hedge and he makes a face. 

"All I did was knock over a few trash-cans and unroll a case or two of toilet paper" he shrugs. "I mean, you told me you were gonna be a little longer than usual. So...I had to up the ante."

I take in a deep breath and sigh feeling entirely trapped. 

"I didn't damage anything...I made sure not too," he adds feeling a bit bad. "I just made it annoying to clean..Besides I had to do it. Where are Yae-Jun and I supposed to go until you can come get us?"

"I know," I nod. "Just like I know it's not your fault...like it is, but...it's ultimately mine."

They don't say anything already understanding how I feel, and then Yae-Jun shakes her head shrugging.

"We're just in a bad place now," she says easily. "We'll make it out eventually..Besides, I'd rather be stuck with you two in this crummy old shelter than anywhere else."

Do-Hyun and I share a laugh and we go back to eating. 

"True. But we don't need some foreign teacher poking her nose into our business," I smirk. "So, do me a favor and tone it down a bit?"

Do-Hyun grins nodding beginning to eat his noodles. 

"Admit it Dad, she was really pretty" Yae-Jun teases knowingly.

"Excuse you," I say nudging her under the table.

"Well she was," Do-Hyun chuckles. "Too bad she didn't do detention everyday."

"She really isn't your teacher?" I say a little surprised. "She sure had a lot to say considering that you aren't her student."

"Yeah, she told you" he smiles even wider. 

"But he earned it!" Yae-Jun chimes in. "Daddy, I've never seen you so rude..especially to a beautiful woman!"

I roll my eyes. "She wasn't that pretty!"

Both children start scoffing and calling my bluff and I smile watching their expressions. 

 

Mitchie's POV

I'm carrying a stack of children's books to the corner when I catch a glimpse of the family, and my heart sinks realizing how much I misjudged them.

I watch the smiles widen across each of their faces and I suddenly see how much their father cares for them. The love and adoration within his eyes, and his tenderness as he washes the faces of his children before they head to the back of the center for bed.

When I get back to school on Monday, I make sure to keep an eye out for the two kids; but it isn't until Wednesday I'm able to do anything. 

I rush up to the door and open it, finding him perched on top of one of the ladders preparing to take down a handful of bleach. 

"Alright, drop the cleaning supplies and back down slowly from the ladder."

He looks at me strangely; not out of fear or guilt...but like he's got an idea.

I watch him carefully as his hand begins untwisting the top.

"You wouldn't dare," I snarl and he smirks popping off the cap. "I mean it..This could be considered as damage to private property-"

He tosses the bottle and the cold liquid hits my plum dress, causing the colors to run and I shriek feeling ruined. He smiles completely satisfied and I glare at him hard. 

"Forget it," I smile turning to leave the closet and I leave heading for my classroom.

"Wait!" He says chasing after me. "You're getting me in trouble, right?"

"No" I say a little harshly. "I wouldn't give you the satisfaction of taking credit for this."

"Why! I-I ruined your dress!"

"It was an accident," I say turning sweet. "And I forgive you-"

"You don't understand! I need to get into detention!" He pleads. 

"I think you could give yourself a break-"

"NO! We need to stay after school!!"

I freeze, closing my eyes taking a deep breath. "I know..It won't open until after four."

He walks around me slowly so that we're facing each other. He frowns, silently questioning if we're talking about the same thing and I nod.

"That's what I came to tell you...You don't have to do detention, you and your sister could hang out in my classroom until your Dad could-"

"Ms. Mitchie!" 

I glance back to see my supervisor waddling as fast as his legs can carry him, in our direction. I take another deep breath and I turn to greet him but he ignores it all wanting a full explanation.  

"You" he says darkly, allowing his eyes to zero in on Do-Hyun.

"On the contrary Sunbae...Do-Hyun just stopped to see if I needed any help," I lie and the boy's expression widens in shock before nodding enthusiastically. "Thank you, but I think you should head back to lunch" I suggest and he bows low before disappearing down another hallway.

"Miss Mitchie?" He growls. "I know as a teacher you feel compelled to help your students however, I must say I strongly disagree with your approach to help that boy."

"It was an accident," I say steadily and my supervisor smirks. 

"If you say so," he says walking away.

A few hours later, I'm sitting behind my desk proofing a lesson when the tiniest knock taps on my door. Both children are standing hesitantly and I shake my head and scoff. 

"What do you two want?" 

The little girl yanks hard on his arm and he scrunches his nose at her threateningly, before taking a giant step forward and bowing low. 

"I, Baek Do-Hyun, apologize for ruining your dress..I did it before I realized I had another option, and I promise not to do it again."

"I see, and how exactly are you going to pay for the damages?" I hedge and his frame straightens. He frowns trying to think of a solution so I give him one. "Tell you what, until Christmas-Vacation I expect my classroom to be spotless...arresso?"

"Deal."

"I'm not done," I chuckle. "There are to be no more disruptions within your other classes-"

"No. That's a separate agreement."

I raise my eyebrows hearing him speak and he makes his side plain.

"I messed up, so as payment for your dress I clean your classroom for the next two weeks" he agrees and I nod. "But as far as your offer to watch us after school, we should set up a contract between the three of us" he says motioning to his sister. 

I frown thinking it over. "Alright, what did you have in mind?"

He twists his mouth. "Yae-Jun and I promise to be ideal students-"

"I'm already ideal," Yae-Jun taunts and he rolls his eyes. 

"Point is, there will be no more disruptions or incidents at school as long as you agree to provide a safe place for us to hang out until our Dad can pick us up."

"Before I agree to this, I have a few questions..."

Both children shift. 

"Why can't he get you at the appropriate time?"

They relax thinking my questions were going to be more invasive, and Do-Hyun answers. "His schedule is always changing."

"Daycare is expensive and so is a hagwon," Yae-Jun adds. "And school is safe."

"Yeah, like I would've joined an after-school club but no club meets everyday. Not to mention, I have to look out for my sister..So..."

"Detention" I sigh finally understanding. "Fine, but if I do this you have to be on your best behavior at all times. And you have to understand that we always can't stay at school. I have things to do as well, so if I take you on errands or-"

"We'll be good! We promise!" Yae-Jun says excitedly. 

I smile seeing her face light up.

"So...Its a deal?" Do-Hyun hedges and I extend my hands for a Korean-Pinkie-Swear. 

Both kids take it eagerly and we seal the deal. 

~~~~~

so...i know you guys have been waiting forever for an update but life literally decided to explode within the last two weeks. so i'm thanking you right now for your patience.

more is coming, i promise. still trying to figure out which route i wanna take this story, but i hope ya'll like it.

much love...pce! <3