First Time

The Velvet Way

 

 

“This is just not cutting it,” The producer sighed. “Something is missing.”

 

They have been listening to the same song three times now, adding a few ad-libs here and there, changing notes at the ends of lines, adjusting and re-adjusting everywhere.

 

Five nervous girls fidgeted uncomfortably in their seats. It had been a while since they prepared for their Velvet side comeback. Different thoughts were running through their minds.

 

Perhaps they’ve been too in touch with their Red concept that they’ve forgotten how to do their ballads?

 

Seulgi bit her lip and looked at Wendy. As the main and lead vocals of the group, they shared the same burden.

 

“Is there something wrong with our singing…?” Wendy asked worriedly.

 

“Your vocals were perfect, girls!” The PD exclaimed. “Especially you, Wendear,” she added. “The runs you did for the adlibs – mmmm just – outstanding!”  

The producer that their entertainment company hired was especially fond of Wendy because of her vocals, and even more so when she learned that Wendy is fluent in English. There were a lot of lines in the songs and even some narration that was in English, and Wendy did them flawlessly.

 

“However, I think we have to re-do the recording next week.” She said apologetically. “Study the lyrics, feel it more.” Her fist clenched over her chest passionately. “It’s not all just about the singing techniques.”

 

“I’ll arrange a meeting with your management again. Until then, please use your time well.”

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

 

I don’t know why my heart is fluttering~” A singing voice echoed in the hallway. “I don’t know why- No wait, this is not it. I don’t know why-“ She stopped once again. And sung. And stopped. Once again.

 

And again.

 

“You know, you won’t get it right if you don’t know what is right,” someone interrupted. “If that makes sense.”

 

“Taeyeon-sunbae!” The girl that was practicing just now gasped. She was pretty sure she went into the practice room alone.

 

“You may call me ‘unnie’, Seulgi.” Taeyeon smiled. “I was passing by when I heard you. You left the door open.”

 

“Ah, I’m sorry! You may use this practice room! I know you’re busy preparing for your solo!” Seulgi bowed and was about to leave when she felt Taeyeon’s hand close on her wrist.

 

“Hey, relax.” Taeyeon chuckled. “I heard your group is also preparing for a comeback. Mind spilling a little for me?” She winked.

 

Seulgi could’ve died on the spot. She wished the other girls were there with her so they can all share a moment with one of their favourite seniors.

 

“Y-yes, of course.” Seulgi responded. They sat on the floor in the middle of the practice room.

 

“What song were you practicing earlier? You sounded really frustrated.” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Oh… Umm… The title is ‘First time’. We were making good progress with the album so the management decided to do a pre-recording today, but things didn’t go well…” Seulgi said dejectedly. “Kenz PD-nim said there was something missing in the song…”

 

“Kenz? You mean the songwriter Yeon Jung-unnie?” Taeyeon chuckled. “Well now I know what’s troubling you. She really is a perfectionist when it comes to her songs.”

 

“She said our vocals were perfect but…maybe she was just too nice to comment about it…?” Seulgi stated unsurely.

 

“Nope. Trust me, she could be very blunt sometimes.”

 

“Then…?”

 

“Let me see that.” Taeyeon pointed to the lyrics that Seulgi had been holding on to all this time. The younger girl handed it to her and allowed the senior to read through it. “Wow this is really perfect for your group.” She muttered. “Sing it for me?”

 

And sing, Seulgi did. She sang the whole song nervously. (who wouldn’t be, in front of almighty Taeyeon? ‘Leader of the CD eaters Taeyeon’ wouldn’t throw a CD case on her forehead if she accidentally ruins a note or two, would she? Or worse – what if Taeyeon decides a vinyl record could do more damage?!)

 

The silence that came after Seulgi was done singing screwed with her tummy, like what if she did horribly and her senior is pissed for ruining SM’s singing reputation or something like that? Maybe she should try eating CDs as well. She wondered if it would be good for her diet.

 

“That was really nice.” Taeyeon said approvingly, giving slow claps. “You have a wonderful voice, Seulgi.”

 

The latter released a breath she didn’t know she was holding.

 

“And I know what’s missing.” Taeyeon added, with a mischievous smile on her face.

 

Seulgi clapped excitedly. Finally! A solution to their problem right now! Taeyeon went from being a legendary senior to absolute Goddess in Seulgi’s eyes.

 

“You haven’t dated yet kiddo. The song’s all about falling in love for the first time, but you make it sound like it’s about food.”

 

“O-oh. Oh. But … I am in love with food, unnie.”

 

 

 

“Oh boy… this is going to take a while.” Taeyeon shook her head. Maybe she should teach this kid a thing or two about life.

 

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

 

“I just want to tell you girls that you all did well today.” Irene ended her leader opening speech with a compliment to comfort the group. She felt the gloomy mood of everyone after the recording and thought she had to do something about it. “We’ll overcome our challenges like we always do.”

 

The girls of Red Velvet were gathered around the living room. It was time for their late night talk (which was supposedly tomorrow but Irene moved it up to discuss the issue at hand) and the topic was brought up first and foremost.

 

“Okay girls, so today I had a very meaningful encounter.” Seulgi started. “Her words, not mine.” She cleared when the others gave her confused looks.

 

Seulgi recalled what happened with Taeyeon in the practice room (causing gasps and fan-girling from the others) and tried to tell everything as she remembered.

 

 

“So she had this idea.” Seulgi said. “Why don’t we get a date for a week?”

 

“Seul… you’re kidding, right?” Wendy asked cautiously. “You know the management-“
 

 

“It’s only for a week, Wen. No one has to know.” Seulgi responded excitedly. “Taeyeon-unnie said she’ll deal with our managers and protect us. She said we need this experience in order to sing well.”

 

At the mention of Taeyeon’s advice, the group stayed silent. They thought it was too risky, but it was also valuable advice from a trusted senior. Taeyeon wouldn’t be this successful if she didn’t know what she was doing.

 

“And where are we going to get our dates…?” Joy asked.

 

“We have plenty of suitors, Sooyoung,” Seulgi chuckled. “Just scroll randomly in your phonebook and see where it lands?”

 

“No way,” Joy crossed her arms. “I’m not an easy girl. I’m not going to go out with a random guy I don’t even like.”

 

“You went out with Sungjae-“

 

“That was for a show! Ugh.”

 

 

“Why don’t we just date with each other?” Irene interrupted. “I’m taking Wendy.”

 

Four pairs of eyes widened in shock. Wendy’s went extra wide, as usual.

 

“UNNIE! WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?!” Wendy exclaimed.

 

“Would you rather have a male senior prey on me, Seungwan-ah?” Irene pouted.

 

The younger shook her head frantically. “No! Of course not, but-“

 

“Then it’s settled!” Irene grinned triumphantly and clings on to Wendy. “Bake me a carrot cake, girlfriend. It’s a couple thing!”

 

“…I should’ve known.” Wendy sighed dejectedly. She was worried earlier. She didn’t have to. Irene was probably just using this opportunity to make her do errands, she figured.

 

“So you’re with me, then?” Seulgi asked Joy, whose jaw dropped in response. “Yeri  is our baby.”

 

“Why are you all acting like this is okay?” Joy asked, “Am I the only one sane in this room? Yerim, tell me you don’t agree to this.”

 

The youngest, who had only been observing all this time, just shrugged.

“I’m already dating three people, unnie. I have enough problems of my own.”

 

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

“Seungwan-ah, I’m cold. Hug me!” Irene whined. “It’s a couple thing!”

 

Wendy jumped at the “couple” word. She was already used to hugging the older girl whenever the latter feels cold, but it feels different this time now that they’re already supposedly “dating”.

 

Yet, she hugs Irene. (She’s whipped, she knows it)

 

She figures she just needs a way to control her abnormal heartbeat rate when Irene pulls her in tighter.

 

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

“I want a cup of hot chocolate, Wan-ah.”

 

“Let me get it for you, unnie.”

 

“Cuddle with me, Wan. Isn’t this what couples do?”

 

“No, unnie, this is something we already do since before.”

 

Irene just hummed at that.

 

 

“Wendy-unnie I want a cup of hot chocolate too!” Yeri piped in.

 

“Here you go, kid.”

 

“Will you cuddle with me too?”

“Awww.” Wendy cooed.

 

Irene glared.

 

“Geez, how possessive.” Yeri muttered.

 

“What was that?”

 

“NOTHING, I HAVE HOMEWORK. BAI.”

 

Yeri still wanted to live in this wonderful world.

 

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

 

“HI LOVER!” Seulgi greeted Joy early in the morning.

 

Joy frowned. Her unnie became cuter these days since that dating thing started but she had to remain firm about her stance – she never agreed to it, and she should show it.

 

It was getting harder when Seulgi would always come at her looking like a very, very huggable bear.

 

“I read in a magazine that couples do something early in the morning! It’s called morning s-“

 

 

BAM.

 

Oh well. At least the bedroom door that Joy just shut in her face didn’t reach her beautiful nose.

 

She would try again tomorrow.

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

 

Only two days has passed and Wendy already feels like she’s ready to raise the white flag.

 

“Seungwan-aaaahhhhh” Irene calls out from the living room. “Girlfriend!!!”

 

Wendy who had been lying on her bed contemplating about really deep things, sighed. (Not really, she was just thinking of the receipts she hadn’t attended to lately because Irene filled up all her free time)

 

But she was whipped as usual and so, she went out to see what her princess needs. (She was more of a maid lately than an actual girlfriend, anyway. She doesn’t know why Irene has become more demanding and clingy ever since the dating thing started, but she lets the older get her way, like always.)

 

She went to her girlfriend just to see the older girl sitting lazily on the couch with a movie on TV, arms raised towards Wendy when she saw her approaching.

 

Irene pouted, and Wendy couldn’t help but coo at the sight. When Wendy stood in front of Irene, the latter immediately circled her arms around Wendy’s waist.

 

The older girl lets out nothing else but a whine, which made Wendy chuckle. She patted Irene’s head gently and said, “I still have some Ice cream in the fridge, how about I get it before I cuddle here with you?”

 

After Irene responded with such a sweet smile, Wendy figured she doesn’t really mind doing this for a long time.

 

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

“Jwoooyyyiiieee. CHUUUIIIIEEEE. JOOOYYYEEEEE.” Seulgi had her face flat on Joy’s bedroom window. (The latter refused to let her in their room, which led her to this desperate move as a result.)

 

“Notice me senpai! JOYYWWIIIEEEE” Seulgi’s aegyo and her squished cheeks would’ve been enough for even the world to do more than just notice her, but unfortunately Joy (who was ultimately the main target) was hiding in her closet to avoid the sight.

 

“Open the doooooor~ My love, open the doooor!” Seulgi said in a sing-sung voice. “Oh wait, maybe I should say, ‘open the window’ instead?” She asked confusedly.

 

“Seulgi?” It was a manly voice.

 

“Jimin? Park Jimin?” Seulgi asked, stepping away from the window to greet the newcomer.

 

“Yeah,” his hand went up to his neck, a nervous gesture. “We just moved to a dorm nearby and I wanted to say hi.”

 

“Ohhhh… then… Hi!” Seulgi greeted excitedly. She lifted a fist towards the guy, to which the other returned with a fist bump.

 

“So… what were you doing with the window?” Jimin asked.

 

“Just- well you know what they say, if a door won’t open, try going through the window.”

 

Jimin laughed. Seulgi was adorable without trying. “Is that working out all right for you?”

 

“Not so much.” Seulgi unconsciously pouted. Just thinking about Joy hiding in their bedroom made her sad. She just tried to kiss her cheek, that’s all! Wasn’t that what couples do?

 

“Well, there’s this pizza parlour nearby and the owner’s a friend. Maybe you and I could open that door instead?” Jimin asked.

 

Seulgi blinked. She could be pretty slow at times but she definitely knows when a guy is trying to ask her out. Jimin was cute and from what she’s known so far, he’s a very nice guy. Seulgi tried to imagine herself seeing this guy. Maybe he could finally help her understand what she’s singing about?

 

Her mind was telling her to accept. The nasty brain was all curious and stuff, but Seulgi was more of an intuition girl and her gut instincts was telling her not to go.

 

“Thanks Jimin, I’ll tell the girls so we can visit next time. I still have to work on this window thing right now. It’s… quite precious to me.” Seulgi smiled apologetically.

 

“Oh… okay then.” Jimin knew that was a clear turndown. “Maybe next time. I’ll see you around?”

 

“Yeah.” Seulgi waved as he left. She immediately went back to trying to break the window open.

 

It hasn’t been a while when she felt a tap on her shoulder – it was probably Jimin again – and she was prepared to make her rejection clearer this time, but it turns out she didn’t have to.

 

It was Joy.

 

“The door’s already open, stupid.” Cute, bashful, blushing Joy.

 

“She overheard the whole conversation and I had to hold on to her so she wouldn’t jump and kill the guy! You may thank me later, unnie!” Yeri shouted from the living room.

 

“Shut up shrimp!” Joy shouted back.

 

Seulgi’s cheeks could go higher than the Everest with the way she was grinning right now.

 

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

 

 

“You know, Joohyun-unnie…” Wendy carefully started. It was only the two of them in the kitchen preparing their dinner, and she saw it as an opportunity to talk to the older.

 

“Hmm?” Irene was slicing up the onions expertly.

 

“You don’t have to date me in order for me to do those things for you. I mean… even before we agreed on this dating thing, we already do those. I’ll keep baking for you, cuddle with you when you’re cold, hold your hand all the time, hug you whenever you want to, and you can keep on putting your stuff in my bag. I’ll keep carrying your stuff like always. You know what I’m saying? Lately I feel like you’re making me do these things just more than usual. That’s the only thing that’s changed, like we really didn’t become a couple- it’s just- OH MY GOD ARE YOU CRYING UNNIE?!” Wendy asked, seeing Irene wiping her eyes with her arms. She immediately went to the older girl and hugged her tight.

 

“I’m sorry- I’m sorry forget everything I said-“

 

“Seungwan, it’s just the onions. They sting.” Irene blinked.

 

“Oh…” Wendy’s mouth formed a clear “O”, her brows furrowed, before she slowly let the hug loose.

 

It was a very cute sight for Irene, who giggled.

 

“For a smart girl, you’re quite dense, aren’t you?” Irene asked with a teasing smile on her face.

 

Wendy was astounded. “I just thought you were crying because of the things I’ve said…”

 

“I’m not talking about that, Seungwan.” Irene inched closer to Wendy, making the younger step back towards the counter.

 

“Unnie…?” Wendy swallowed nervously. “What do you mean?”

 

“Seungwan, why do you think I made you do all these stuff more these days? If they’re stuff that you already do usually, like you said.” Irene asked, again moving closer to Wendy.

 

Wendy can feel the counter against her back. There were no more steps she could take away from Irene. She tried to laugh off her nervousness. “I don’t really know why, unnie. You just make me do all these stuff and say they’re a ‘couple thing’ and it doesn’t make sense to me because we already do those stuff before we…” And suddenly the realization hits home.

 

Irene had been making her do everything they’ve already been doing as friends. The only difference was now it was always with a tagline that says “couple thing” that Irene says repeatedly, as if to remind her.

 

“Oh…”

 

The dating arrangement wasn’t an opportunity to make her do errands, in the first place.

 

It was an opportunity to make her realize that the way they’ve been acting was, and always had been, like a couple.

 

Irene smiled. “Finally realized, huh?”

 

“Yeah.” Wendy breathed. “Finally.”

 

“You haven’t really treated me like you treat the others, it was pretty obvious.” Irene teased. “I figured I’m your favourite.” She whispered, and her lips were oh so close to Wendy’s now.

Since when did they have their bodies pressed together? Wendy certainly only noticed now.

 

“Uhuh…” Wendy mumbled unintelligently. Her mind was already going haywire at this point.

 

“Would you like to know one more thing that couples do?” Irene asked in her low, husky voice.

 

“Unnie, I told you I already figured-“

 

And Irene’s lips were suddenly on Wendy’s.

It was short, sudden, and a bit cold but it was the softest thing their lips ever felt.

 

And it was so, so, warm inside.

 

She watched how Irene’s eyelashes moved as the girl opened her eyes slowly, worried about Wendy’s reaction.

 

Wendy’s heart raced like she just danced to Dumb Dumb ten times in a row, and immediately all their songs made sense – even Dumb Dumb – because that was exactly how she felt right now; Speechless, like a mannequin.

 

It was as if her insides wanted to get out and grab all of Irene. Wendy wanted to melt with her.

 

Again, unnie.” She pleaded.

 

And Irene closed the distance between them again, this time slowly nibbling on Wendy’s lower lip.

 

When the younger accidentally let out a moan, Irene felt a switch in her turn on.

 

Oh, it was really on.

 

Dinner would have to wait.

 

-.-.-.-.-

 

“So, how did your recording go?” Taeyeon asked the girl in front of her. She stirred her coffee in amusement.

 

“It went really well. PD unnie was ecstatic when my unnies sang like lovesick puppies.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled. “It was your idea in the first place.” She recalled how Yeri asked her for a favour.

 

“Seulgi unnie is in the practice room, sunbaenim. It would really mean a lot to me if you spare even just five minutes to talk to her! She can be stupid and depressed at times…”

 

“Yeah, well, I’m starting to regret it.” Yeri complained. “They’re so sappy at home. I should have let the crazy tension sort it out naturally instead.”

 

Taeyeon laughed at the kid in front of her. Yeri was blushing, and she was clearly happy for her unnies.

 

 

 

END.

-.-.-.-.-

[Today I realized how much I really love you, for the First Time]

Song: First Time by Red Velvet