Here be Wolves

"Caution", Mother Said, “Watch for the Wolf”

Caution mother ch 5

A/N: Blood. Fight scenes. Badly written fight scenes


Jeonghan waited by the Pond of Destiny. Pricking his ears, he listened for the sounds of Joshua’s rustling and his sweet voice. Except he didn’t hear it. He heard the distinct voices of Joshua’s parents. It seemed they were trying to stop Joshua from seeing Jeonghan no matter what.

The fact that they took over Joshua’s normal routine of picking herbs meant one of them had an inkling on when Joshua met up with him. Snorting he moved away from the tree and took Star through the denser part of the forest to go back the way he came. He guessed Joshua’s parents weren’t that dumb after all. But they didn’t know that Joshua snuck out through the window. Jeonghan would just have to leave a note for him there then for tonight.

Sighing he steered Star towards the village. The whole talk tonight would be explosive. He could feel it in his bones. Joshua would get angry and snarl at his parents like he was the wolf instead of Jeonghan. He smirked; it was nice seeing Joshua all ready to fight. He was normally so docile.

Passing the gates, the whispers were even louder today than normal. It must’ve been because of what Joshua blurted out last night in his defense. The old grandmas looked at him in askance. No doubt they wondered how he got such a good boy like Joshua to be with him. If only they knew just how bad Joshua could be, the giant tease he was. The other young adults looked apprehensive. Goodness knows why. He wasn’t interested in any of them. The only one he was interested in was already his.

A pity Jeonghan couldn’t go visit him today though. No doubt Joshua’s parents had people watching the store for them, keeping an eye out for him. Best just to leave a note for later tonight after their talk.


He knocked on the Hong’s door. Star snorted from his spot on their lawn, no doubt laughing at how Jeonghan smelled just a bit nervous. For all they had been through Star was always derisive to his master. The bloody stallion didn’t show that same attitude to Joshua. Jeonghan glared at Star until he gave him a horsey snicker and started to eat the grass around the Hong’s lawn.

The door opened. Mrs. Hong looked distraught. Grabbing him she screamed, “Where’s Joshua?”

Jeonghan gave her a sharp look. “He’s not home? I haven’t seen him all day. I didn’t go by the shop.”

He tore her hands off moving into the house. He ran into Joshua’s room but the scent while strong wasn’t fresh. Whirling he asked, “Where was he last?”

She looked at him, “The store. We thought he went to run off with you.”

Jeonghan shook his head in disbelief. Rushing down the stairs and he released Star and climbed on. “Let’s go.”

The closer he got to the store the more he smelled that familiar scent. it all. . Turning Star’s head, Jeonghan nudged the horse into a gallop following that smell. He only hoped he’d get there before any more damage was done.


Groaning Joshua eyes fluttered open. He rolled over, feeling that old mattress they always used. Wait. That meant he was in the old barn. Shifting he sat up and scooted as far as he could go, his back hitting the wall.

Jeonghan’s father sat on that old rickety chair that sat in the barn loft. His eyes. His eyes weren’t human anymore. The man let the wolf take over.

“How stupid of my son. Taking up with you and leaving the evidence behind. It made it that much easier to find who everyone was talking about.” He gave Joshua a smile that erred on insane. “Why hasn’t my son eaten you yet? Since he seems to like the taste of you.” Laughing he said, “He has though. From what I heard. How far did you let him go?”

“What are you talking about,” Joshua asked quietly, feeling uneasy.

“We wolves eat people you see. When the moon comes up and we’re just on the side of crazy,” he barked a laugh. “Or maybe it’s me. Jeonghan seems fine on the full moon.” He gave Joshua a lewd grin. “But he’s rather after it isn’t he. Is that why you smell so strongly of him? Like this place does? You two have had here. A lot it seems. Is he any good?”

“Is that any of your business?” Joshua tried to edge far away. Damn his smart mouth. Now wouldn’t be the time to talk back.

He laughed. “You’re right. It isn’t. What’s my business is why he hasn’t eaten you? Like I did to the girl.”

Joshua stopped. “It was you who killed her?” He snapped, “Why let Jeonghan take the blame?” What sort of father let his son take the blame? But then again what sort of person ate another one. Joshua reevaluated that person bit as Mr. Yoon’s eyes flashed towards him again. That inhuman red color. He wasn’t human. Not anymore.

Jeonghan’s father gave him a smile. “What else is my son good for? He did his father proud by helping me by not telling everyone that I did it.”

Shaking his head, Joshua said, “No. He didn’t know. He couldn’t have.” Jeonghan couldn’t have known. He wouldn’t have shielded such a heinous act.

“A wolf knows another wolf. My son knew.” He turned, “Right Jeonghan. You knew I killed the girl. Like I’ll kill your beloved.”

Jeonghan came into view, growling. “Don’t touch him.”

His father stood up, walking over to Jeonghan he hit him. Backhanding Jeonghan across the face, he hit him hard enough to make him fall to the floor in front of the mattress.

“Jeonghan,” Joshua said, horrified. He started to crawl over to him but stopped when Jeonghan yelled.

“Don’t! Don’t move Shua! Stay there!”

“Jeonghan?” Joshua’s voice nearly trembled. What was happening?

“Don’t. Move,” he said through gritted teeth. “Please.”

Jeonghan’s father laughed hysterically. “I’d do as my son says boy. Or else I’ll feel like eating you now rather than later. Not in the way my son normally does. No. I’ll crush your bones and tear into your flesh and let the blood flow. And I’ll make sure to do it in front of my son.”

“He’s off limits!” Jeonghan snapped back. “You had your fill! Don’t touch him!”

“What good are humans Jeonghan? They’re so weak and fragile. Like your mother and your sister. Weak. Susceptible to disease,” he said harshly. He paused, “So weak,” running his fingers through his dirty hair, “so weak. That’s why they died. They died and left me alone! Your mother died and she left me!” He spat, “Humans are weak! I’m doing you a favor by getting rid of the attachment you have for him!”

“He’s mine!” Jeonghan roared.

“And Hyemi was mine and she died!” His hands went down to his face. He was distraught.  “Your mother died.”

The death of Jeonghan’s mother and sister seemed to take a toll on his father. The man, wolf, was insane. Was this why Jeonghan wouldn’t leave the village? To keep an eye on his crazy father. How were they going to get out of here alive?

He started to sob, repeating her name over and over again like he could make himself go into a trance. Stopping he looked up. “It doesn’t matter. I’ll kill him and you’ll help me hide his body and the evidence.”

“I won’t,” Jeonghan replied getting up, trying to shield Joshua from view.

“You will. Like you did with the girl.”

Jeonghan startled. He turned his head to Joshua staring at him with horrified eyes. “I didn’t. I swear—“

“It’s too late Jeonghan. I already told him. No need to lie. You helped daddy dearest like a good son.” He gave them a wild smile.

“I had too Shua. He threatened you and I couldn’t let something happen to you. Please understand,” Jeonghan pleaded. He moved to Joshua, getting close. “Please. I did it for you.”

“Jeong—“

Mr. Yoon let loose a laugh. “Done out of love. How sweet. Get out of the way.” He shoved Jeonghan away from Joshua. “Time for the evidence to disappear.” His jaws started to shift, teeth started to come in, jagged and sharp, then claws. Claws that would make ribbons of Joshua’s human skin.

Joshua scrambled trying to move to Jeonghan but the claws stuck into his cloak stopping him. Hurriedly Joshua started to undo the ties but the wolf was quicker, launching his other arm at Joshua.

He sat there, frozen. The blood in his body rushed to his brain and then down but he couldn’t move. Why couldn’t he move?!

A body went past his eyes. It tackled Mr. Yoon away from Joshua.

The two bodies rolled on the floor.

“Jeonghan!” Joshua yelled as he saw him snapping back at his father.

The two growled at each other, trying to bite at the other. Joshua looked around quickly trying to find a weapon that would help. He couldn’t sit around and do nothing. Getting to his feet he ran to the other end. Spotting an old pitch fork, he grabbed it.

He ran back. A shot rang out. Joshua’s heart dropped. It couldn’t have been Jeonghan. God don’t let it be Jeonghan who was hit. Running over the rest of the way, his eyes widened as he saw Seungcheol holding up a smoking gun.

Thankfully he hit Jeonghan’s father. He had just sat up, holding his hand to his wound, staring at it.

“Don’t move,” Seungcheol yelled. “Stay where you are Mr. Yoon. You’re going to have to answer for the death of Minkyung!”

Mr. Yoon laughed. Moving his hand away he stood up. “And you think your little gun is going to stop me?” He charged at Seungcheol, but Jeonghan tackled him to the side, once again engaging in a grapple.

Seungcheol fell backwards, hitting the floor first dropping his gun, borrowed no doubt.

Joshua dropped the pitchfork and took the gun. “What kind of bullets do you have in here,” he asked.

Seungcheol blubbered a bit, surprised or shocked that his life just flashed before his eyes.

“What kind of bullets?!” Joshua snapped.

“Silver. Some of them are silver,” he sputtered.

Joshua trained the gun on them, waiting for Jeonghan’s father to come up. The two of them kept rolling, clawing at each other and trying to unseat the other. Damn it!

Finally, Jeonghan’s father was facing Joshua, his back to him. He pulled the trigger, aiming for the man’s head, hoping that the bullet that came out was a silver one.

A large noise rang out. Joshua stared in horror as he hit true and the bullet imbedded itself in Mr. Yoon’s head. He dropped the gun as Mr. Yoon’s body fell. Jeonghan pushed it off, staring at it.

He ran to Jeonghan, his cloak fluttering behind him. “Jeonghan. Are you ok?” Frantically he checked him for wounds, thankfully only seeing shallow ones. He pulled him into a hug. “Thank the lord.”

His heart kept pumping hard. Joshua squeezed Jeonghan hard. Slowly he let go, he moved to kiss Jeonghan, stopping as his name was screamed out.

“Joshua!”

Turning he saw a flash of Mr. Yoon and his claws coming his way.

A hand came up, shielding him as Jeonghan pulled Joshua’s head into his chest.

Through gritted teeth Jeonghan said, “No more. There’ll be no more out of you father.” His free hand moved, turning into claws, swiping at his father’s neck, severing the carotid veins and arties.

Blood sprayed over them, splashing over Jeonghan’s hands and hitting Joshua sporadically.

The body hit the floor once more, bleeding out. But not before he said one last thing. “A wolf is a monster Jeonghan. No matter how much you love him. One day you’ll hurt him like I hurt your mother and sister,” he said rasping out.

Jeonghan snarled, “No. I won’t.”

They watched as Mr. Yoon’s eyes closed and the blood drained out quickly.

“You two should leave,” Seungcheol said, startling them out of their trance. “Before the other villagers get here and they separate you two.” He picked up his gun. “No matter if we pin the blame on Mr. Yoon there’s no way you two will be get to be together. Leave now while you can.” He took a breath. “The village is in an uproar and it’s chaotic. No one will see you.”

They got up. “Why are you being so nice now?” Jeonghan asked, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

“I got Joshua into my mess and then tried to pin Minkyung’s death on you. It was wrong of me,” he said quietly. “On my horse is the pouch of money and Joshua’s bag I found on the apothecary floor. Take it and leave while you can.”

Joshua held onto Jeonghan’s hand. “You won’t tell anyone?”

“I’ll tell them I came up here and found him dead and you two gone.” He handed the gun over first. “Take the gun so there’s no evidence left. I’ll make it look like the pitchfork killed him. Consider this payback for me being an .”

Taking the gun Joshua put it in his pocket. “Thank you.” He pulled Jeonghan along. “Let’s go. Your father can’t keep you here anymore. He’s dead.”

Jeonghan nodded back. Following Joshua down the stairs, he said to Seungcheol. “I didn’t overhear you two. I smelled it on her. That she was pregnant and that it was yours. Live a happy life.”

Seungcheol gave him a small nod.

Joshua grabbed his bag, rifling through it and nodding at what was left in it. “We have quite a bit of money. We can go to the capital. The house my grandfather left to me is there. We can live there. Let’s go.”

“Yea,” Jeonghan said, “let’s go.” He took Joshua’s hand and they ran to Star. Pushing Joshua onto the stallion, Jeonghan jumped on behind him. He turned Star’s head toward the plains. He turned his head hearing all the noises from the village. Nudging Star into a gallop, he put his nose into Joshua’s neck, letting out a sigh of relief. He was free of his father and having to take care of the wolf’s mess. There was nothing left now for him to do except love Joshua. Finally, they could be happy. Together and happy.

Joshua moved his hand on top of Jeonghan's, squeezing it in comfort. They could be together now. No shadow of evil and no shadow of his parents keeping him away from Jeonghan. It would be just the two of them now.


it's done!!! YAY! I'm going to move on to other stories now.