Fall and You

Sooyoung and Seasons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   

The Westonbirt Arboretum was always the most perfect place to enjoy autumn. There were many kinds of trees. There were yellows, reds, browns, and golds all over the place, with their perfect mixture. It was always full with people during the fall season, mostly October.

Going overseas all alone was Choi Sooyoung’s dream since little, and today she was living it. She liked travelling alone accompanied only with her SLR hanging around her neck. She took a look around the beautiful view the place showed her with people walking down the road of Silk Wood Trail, some were alone, some in pairs, and some were in groups, but all of them were smiling. It brought smile to her face. 

She tightened her long grey coat and raised the camera, snapping those beautiful trees in pictures. The people were getting more and more in her area, so she decided to leave and find a quieter place with less people. She stood under a chestnut tree whose leaves were a mixture of red, yellow, brown, and gold. And the breeze, she loved the breeze. Taking a moment to enjoy the peace, she took a deep breath.

She took tons of pictures once again and then realized that she had more than enough. The thing was, there was no single picture with her face in those photos, as she noticed when looking through her shots. Sooyoung left her tripod in the hotel and she obviously didn’t bring any friend. The disadvantages of going on a vacation alone. She couldn’t just ask a stranger to take a photo of her, could she?

‘Or should I?’

She took another look around, looking for a person who at least seemed approachable. The people here were less than the spot where she had been before. But most of them were in groups, either faimlies or group of friends. She had to find someone who was alone too so that she wouldn’t ruin any group moment.

A few glances here and there, she finally found a person, standing alone like her, and seemed approachable enough for her to ask for a favor. She made her way towards the person who apparently was a man, that she guessed was the same age as her, as she noticed the features on his face. Heck, he looked younger than her. And he wasn’t that tall too.

“Excuse me,” she called out from behind since the man’s back was facing her. Noticing a voice from behind, the man turned around. Now that she could observe from a distance this close, he actually looked much, much younger up close. Sooyoung didn’t miss that baby-faced boyish look and his light brown sandy hair as well.

“Yes?” The corner of his lips turned upside a little bit. She was glad that the man looked very, very welcoming. She just realized he might be asian like her. ‘If I’m lucky enough, he could be Korean.’ She returned his smile.

“Ah you see, I came to this place all alone and I kinda want some pictures of myself but you see I’m alone, wait why am I repeating words?” She paused herself and the next thing she knew was the man chuckling. “and I don’t want those kind of selfies. So umm can you help me?”

And she heard another chuckles. She looked at him, confused. “Wait, am I interrupting something? Did I disturb you? My, I’m so sorry. Well it’s okay if you don’t want to I cou—”

“No, I’m all alone. So yes, I can help you.” The man finally said something and she finally could let out a sigh of relief. She handed him her camera as the brunette turned around and lead him the way to the best spots for her picture.

“Here?” He asked. “Yes!” She replied as she took out a beanie from her bag and wore it, going here and there, not even realizing that she already had tons of pictures of herself.

Standing under a japanese maple tree that was actually far from the place they first met, she gasped. The man, who was currently checking the photos he had taken, looked up. “Why?” And she looked suddenly guilty.

“How long have I been actually dragging you here and there?”

“Ah, don’t mention it. It’s fun actually,” he assured the girl, flashing her a genuine but boyish smile. “Here. Do you wanna see?” He gestured her to come closer and she stepped closer to take a look on her own camera.

“What the—these are amazing. How did you do it?” She turned her head, looking him in the eyes. “They’re beautiful. Did you take a photography class?” She continued sliding through the pictures. Not used to people complaining him—eventhough he received praises more than often—he scratched the back of his neck, embarassed. “No actually, I love photography but I’m not specifically taking photography classes. It’s more like a hobby.”

A smile crept on her lips. “Yep, you look like one,” taking a notice of his own camera hanging on his neck.

She gasped once again out of a sudden. “Oh my God!” Her eyes wide. “What? Why?” He asked, flustered. She looked at him. “How rude I am, I didn’t even ask your name!” She hit her own forehead, then she saw him laughing lightly.

“Well, my name’s Luhan.” He offered a hand. She accepted it and shook his hand. “Mine’s Sooyoung, Choi Sooyoung.” He nodded his head.

“Choi Sooyoung. Ah, you’re korean?” He asked in her language. Hearing him talk in Korean, a smile was plastered on her face. Nodding, she replied in her mother tongue too, “yes, I’m glad I met someone whom I could talk comfortably in my language.”

“Well the world is indeed small.” She nodded in agreement. “Your name’s Luhan. Well, it’s rare for Korean to have an L in their names,” she said, tilting her head slightly, “because you know people usually don’t pronounce it right, your Lu can become Ru.”

“Ah it’s because I’m not Korean. I’m actually Chinese.” He smiled and she looked at him in disbelief. “No way! Your korean is so too good and you talk so comfortably. How?” They decided to talk while walking.

“I am a student of International Unversity of Korea. So yeah I’m pretty used to talking in the country’s language.” They walked slowly next to each other, enjoying the special autumn breeze. The rustling sound of the silver birch trees surrounding them could be heard but they were strangely calming.

“You’re amazing.”

“I’m not,” he looked embarassed again. She found it cute. “Where do you study?”

“ChungAng university.”

“Oh I know.”

“Wait Luhan—” Sooyoung suddenly stopped on her track and turned her body facing him. “Do you want me to take your photos too?” Luhan stopped too, shaking his head. “No no, it’s okay Sooyoung.” He lightly chuckled.

“How do I thank you then?”

They continued to walk again. They didn’t even know why they were still with each other when they could’ve dismissed each other and said goodbye moments ago and continued their vacation, gone being alone like before. Sooyoung strangely wanted to be with him a little longer, yet it was unspoken. She convinced herself it was because it was nice to meet someone whom she could speak to in her language comfortably, in a foreign country. That was it, right?

“Accompany me for the rest of my trip.”

His words sounded more like a statement, but there was something in it. She couldn’t dechiper what could be hiding in those words. ‘Was it wish?’

“That’s too much for a favor of taking pictures of me but okay then since I like your company.”

Wait—Holy , did I just say that?

***

It was another day in UK. She still got some days to spend

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter