Would you like to go out on a date with me?

Dateu


2.5k~                                                                 


Doh Kyungsoo, born and raised in Goyang, Gyeonggi Province in a small two-story house, decided on a warm sunny day that he would like to study English, and what was the best way to explore a foreign language? Moving to the source, of course. Kyungsoo’s parents were very supportive and even paid for all the expenses, ignoring how much it was going to cost them in the end. Anything for their only son. Kyungsoo left the place he had known his whole life and flew 17 hours across the world to his new home. Kyungsoo had already picked an apartment, one that he was going to be sharing with another male. Kyungsoo would be lying if he said he wasn't excited to meet the roommate he was going to be living with for the rest of the year.
 

Kyungsoo finally arrived at the apartment building he was going to be staying in with his roommate. Quite a few students were roaming around the campus ground with their luggage in tow, and some with their backpacks filled with books or other school supplies. With so many people speaking English, Kyungsoo was already feeling nervous. It wasn't that he couldn't speak English; on the contrary, during Kyungsoo’s high school years, people praised the well-mannered boy for his English skills. But now that he wasn't back home, Kyungsoo didn't want to make a fool out of himself in public and have people laugh at him, or worse, become Doh Kyungsoo the university’s laughing stock. Kyungsoo shuddered inwardly at the thought.
 

Luckily for Kyungsoo, he managed to ask a tall skinny blond (without stuttering, good job Kyungsoo) if he could help him find room 1353. The tall male stared down at Kyungsoo for a moment, squinting his eyes (judging), and nodded his head almost robotically. “Sure,” the blond replied, pointing a pale finger towards the building's front doors. “Go in through those doors, take the elevator to the third floor, and from there, just search for the number on the paper they gave you.”
 

Kyungsoo nodded and bowed politely. He opened his mouth and said a soft, thank you in Korean. He startled when the male in front of him lets out a loud laugh. 
 

Kyungsoo thought the blond had no emotions.
 

Kamsa, what? Dude, we are in America. You better start speaking the language if you don't want people to make fun of you.” The taller turned around and stalked off, muttering something offensive that left Kyungsoo scowling.
 

What an , Kyungsoo thought.


The white door that leads to room 1353 loomed above an exhausted boy that just wanted to go inside and sleep for the next twenty years. However, Kyungsoo had to get inside to do that first. He had been standing in front of his shared room for the past ten minutes contemplating whether he should knock or just unlock the door with his set of keys. Kyungsoo decided to go with the second option. When the lock clicked open, the tired boy shuffled inside with his luggage rather awkwardly, tripping over his bags in the process and yelping when he fell on to his knees.
 

Someone cleared their throat a few feet away from Kyungsoo that had the younger shooting up from his place on the ground and bowing once again. Crap, he wasn't in Korea anymore. He should learn to stop doing that if he wanted to “fit in.” The stranger was very handsome, Kyungsoo thought to himself as soon as he got a good look at the taller. “Are…” Kyungsoo struggled to find the right words and played with his fingers. “Are you my roommateu?” Kyungsoo asked in a shy voice.
 

The stranger smiled and nodded his head. “Yeah. I’m Kim Jongin. It’s nice to meet you...?” Jongin stepped forward and extended his hand out to shake. “Ah, my name Doh Kyungsoo. I-It’s nice to meet you, Jongin,” Kyungsoo said, shyly fitting his hand in Jongin’s. It was warm, and it had Kyungsoo feeling fuzzy inside.
 

“Likewise. Well, Kyungsoo,” Jongin said as he shifted on his feet. “I’ve been expecting you, and honestly, I didn't know I would meet another Korean.”
 

Something within Kyungsoo dropped. He frowned. Did Jongin not want, to roommate with him?
 

Jongin was quick to notice the sudden change in the smaller’s demeanor and immediately apologized. “No! Uh, no, I didn't mean it in a bad way. I’m Korean, too, but we don’t get many foreign students this time of the year.”
 

Kyungsoo visibly relaxed and grinned. “Oh. You’re Korean too?” Kyungsoo asked, rather excitedly. Maybe now he wouldn't feel so left out. “Do you, uh, speak the language as well?”
 

Jongin helped Kyungsoo with his bags and took them to where the smaller would be sleeping. Kyungsoo wanted to help, he did, but Jongin denied the help and told Kyungsoo to wait in the living room so they could talk and get to know each other. Kyungsoo grumbled as he trekked down the narrow hallway and sat on the black couch. Jongin seemed to be very nice, in Kyungsoo’s opinion.
 

The next few minutes were spent in silence as Kyungsoo looked around the apartment, his large eyes taking in his surroundings. It was clean and spacious. There weren't any picture frames on the stark white walls, but there was a small cactus sitting beside the window. A few minutes later, Jongin sat down next to Kyungsoo and turned to him with a smile. “To answer your question, I am, but I don’t speak the language. My parents moved to America when my mother was pregnant with me, and when I was born, they never taught me my home language because they didn't think it was necessary.” Kyungsoo’s eyes were wide as he listened intently. He was a little disappointed, but it was okay.
 

Jongin looked a little sad and lowered his head. “I’m sorry if you were expecting me to start up a conversation in our language.”
 

Kyungsoo had only known Jongin for an hour, and he was already in love with him. “It's okay, Jongin. I wasn't expecting anything from you,” Kyungsoo said with a small smile. “Oh, and you’re kind of wrong.”
 

Jongin tilted his head in confusion. “Where am I wrong?”
 

“Well, I speak English, as you can see, and I can also speak in Korean.”
 

Jongin kept silent for a little while, just staring at Kyungsoo.
 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo started to say until the other male interrupted him.
 

“You’re funny, Kyungsoo.”
 

Kyungsoo smiled and winked. “I try my best.”
 

Before Kyungsoo had a chance to regret what he just did, Jongin snorted and let out a loud dorky laugh that Kyungsoo might or might not have found quite endearing.
 

The tan male continued to laugh until he was wiping away his tears. “Please, don't ever do that again. Oh my God, Kyungsoo. I-I can't believe you.”
 

Kyungsoo hid his face in his hands while making the sound of a dying whale. “Quit laughing at me, Jongin!” Was what he said when he came out from hiding. Could this day get any more embarrassing?
 

“Okay, okay. I have an idea. How about I teach you English, and in return, you can teach me Korean? That way, we can both help each other out. What do you say?”
 

Kyungsoo’s lips formed a pretty heart when he smiled at Jongin. “That would be nice, Jongin. Thank you - I mean, kamsamnida.”
 

Jongin blinked in confusion. “Um, what does that mean?”
 

“It means thank you in Korean.”
 

Jongin nodded in understanding. “O-Oh. You’re welcome, Kyungsoo.”
 

Kyungsoo hummed.
 

They spent the rest of the afternoon chatting and learning different phrases and word meanings until the sun went down, and Jongin stood up from the couch to get them something to eat.
 

After bidding each other a good night, both males stumbled through the hall and into each other and went to their respective rooms where they fell asleep with smiles on their faces.


- -


About half a year later, Kyungsoo woke up from the sound of rain hitting his bedroom window and the loud sound of thunder booming in the distance. He opened his eyes and stretched his arms over his head, groaning lowly and flopping back down on his bed to get some more shuteye. The time flashed above him on the ceiling. It was 6:15 AM. It was still a bit too early for classes, so Kyungsoo decided why not. As he was drifting off into dreamland, he heard a soft knock on his door, and then a sleepy, messy-haired Jongin stuck his head through the crack with a small smile on his lips.
 

“Good morning, Kyungsoo. Sorry if you were sleeping,” Jongin said as he came inside when Kyungsoo sat up and gestured for Jongin to come in. “But my friend called and told me that classes were canceled due to the severe thunderstorm happening outside and that they are going to be until further notice."
 

Kyungsoo blinked sleepily as he rubbed his eye with his fist. He yawned and nodded his head. "That's great news, Jongin hyung. I really didn't feel like getting up today anyway." Kyungsoo smiled up at the older male and watched as Jongin fidgeted nervously by the door. "Is there something you want?"
 

Another crack of thunder only this time it sounded closer. Jongin jumped and placed a hand on his chest. "I-I don't want to intrude or anything b-but I can't sleep during thunderstorms, they scare me." Jongin ran his hand through his messy hair while chuckling awkwardly. "Can I sleep--"
 

Kyungsoo didn't let Jongin finish his question. He hurried over to the other side of his bed and lifted the dark green covers and gestured for Jongin to climb in. Jongin's face flushed a bright pink as he hurried and climbed into Kyungsoo's bed, covering himself and the boy beside him. "I hope this isn't awkward for you, Soo."
 

The sheets rustled when Kyungsoo his side to face Jongin. He yawned again and smiled sleepily. "Hyung, please. I think we're past the awkward stage by now if you didn't know." Jongin looked hesitant, so Kyungsoo, albeit shyly, grabbed Jongin's hand and squeezed it. "I like spending time with you, so it's okay, hyung. I don't mind sharing my bed with you if it means you'll feel safe." Kyungsoo's face flushed when Jongin squeezed his hand back and moved closer so that their bodies pressed against each other. Kyungsoo's heartbeat picked up. Jongin was too close, but Kyungsoo didn't mind one bit. 
 

"Is this okay, Soo?" Jongin asked softly as he wrapped his arm around Kyungsoo's body. 
 

Kyungsoo hummed and only snuggled closer. "It's perfect, hyung." You're perfect. 
 

Jongin pressed a feathery kiss against Kyungsoo's forehead and closed his eyes, whispering into the boy's ear, "I like spending time with you, too." 
 

Eventually, the storm became silent to both Jongin and Kyungsoo as they fell asleep in each other's arms. 


- -


Kyungsoo sat in class with a bored look on his face as he listened to the professor drone on about his life and how his wife wasn't putting out. Who the hell cares anyway? Jongin sat beside him with a straight face and his tongue sticking out. It was raining outside again. Thick gray clouds were floating in the sky as they poured out buckets of rain. Thank God it wasn't thundering; if not, the class would consist of a (cute) jumpy Jongin. 
 

A little note landed on his desk a few minutes later, and Kyungsoo grinned when he opened it. Of course, it would be no other than Kim Jongin passing him notes during class. Kyungsoo was quick to check if the professor was busy before he opened the letter. 
 

You look bored. Is the class not up to par for your liking? - J
 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Jongin was such an idiot. 
 

The professor had now jumped to another topic consisted of stupid YouTube challenges and how some people had died because of The Cinnamon Challenge. What kind of class was this anyway?  Kyungsoo shook his head and jotted down a few words. 
 

No, you idiot. It's just that who the hell cares about this crap? It's not even related to boring History. - K
 

Jongin chuckled. Kyungsoo could be cute sometimes. But don't let him catch you saying that. 
 

Another note landed on Kyungsoo's desk. 
 

Like I said when we first met: you're funny, Kyungsoo. But now that we're talking, or rather, writing notes to each other, I'd like to say something, and I hope it impresses you. - J
 

Kyungsoo read the note two more times before glancing over at the boy next to him. Jongin adverted his eyes, and Kyungsoo spotted a blush on the older's cheeks. What was it that Jongin wanted to say?
 

Did I say something embarrassing in my sleep? Because I know that I tend to sleep talk during most nights. - K
 

No no! It's nothing like that. Just - ugh. Kyungsoo-- - J
 

You can tell me hyung. Don't be shy. (: - K
 

Kyungsoo wasn't one to put any sort of emoticons while writing notes, but Kim Jongin made him do crazy things. Here was the situation: Kyungsoo was crazily in love with Jongin, but Jongin might or might not know this and Kyungsoo was afraid of being rejected. 
 

Okay... Dangshineul manhi johahaeyo and jeorang deiteu hashillaeyo? - J
 

Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he should scream or fake a heart attack. Jongin. Kim Jongin, the boy that Kyungsoo had liked so much since the beginning, just told him that quote, "I like you a lot, and would you like to go out on a date with me?" Please excuse Kyungsoo (Mr. Professor as well) as he proceeds to sound like a dying whale. He thought he was going to die of embarrassment when the professor called out to him and told him to stop making weird animal noises. 
 

There were a couple of giggles throughout the room that had Kyungsoo ducking his head and hiding his face. He turned to Jongin with a broad smile, nodding his head shyly and biting his lip when Jongin smiled just as big. 
 

- -
 

"Did you go through all that trouble just to memorize those two phrases?" 
 

Kyungsoo and Jongin were walking through empty halls with their hands entwined, and bags on their backs. School had let out early due to another thunderstorm (seriously, what was up with all this rain?). At least now they could sleep together (not like that), well, not that they hadn't been sharing a bed for the past few months. Ever since Jongin slept on Kyungsoo's bed for being afraid, they made it into a natural thing for Jongin to sleep in Kyungsoo's bed every night after that. Neither of them ever minded.  
 

Jongin groaned and stomped his feet. "Yes, Kyungsoo. I wanted to impress you. And I did mean what I wrote."
 

"I know you did, hyung. I did mean it when I said yes, and that I also really like you, too."
 

Jongin stopped and turned to face the smaller male. He then cupped Kyungsoo's cheeks and very slowly brought his lips down upon Kyungsoo's. It was just like everything Kyungsoo imagined it would be like druing all those sleepless nights. Soft, sweet, and slow. Kyungsoo closed his eyes and placed his arms around Jongin's waist to bring him closer to him, and Kyungsoo kissed him back, just as slow because slow kisses were always the sweetest. 




a/n: not my gif