Daehyun

When Life Gives You A Cupcake You Gotta Shove It In Your Mouth

Hi~! Sorry for the wait but, although the fic was written when I posted the foreword, there was a lot to do and no time to post.

So, here it is~ Hope you like it!


 

Daehyun was screwed. He had a company meeting in half an hour and was just now on his way to work. And to top it off, he was the CEO of said company so he should be there earlier and not later. He could already hear the scolding he was going to get from Himchan, his best friend and his Finance Director, for again getting late on important meetings.

Only this time it wasn’t his fault. For real! There was a short circuit that provoked a blackout while he was sleeping and his alarm is powered by electricity. See? Not his fault at all. But his friend wouldn’t hear any of it. .

After arriving and parking his car, Daehyun made a quick detour to the small bakery A slice of Paradise owned by a gentle old lady who, when asked why she never married, always answers that her cakes and recipes are to her what God is to the nuns.

Now, you could wonder why would he go to a bakery when the meeting should have started 5 minutes ago. The thing is, Daehyun has priorities, and sate his hungry stomach was the top one. And for that, nothing was better than a chocolate cupcake from Miss Yoo.

Running, he enters the bakery panting, hair windblown and generally looking like a madman.

Completely ignoring the disheveled state of her cliente, Miss Yoo greeted him as usual. “Good morning Mr. Daehyun. The usual?”

“Good morning Miss Yoo. Yes, please. You’re an angel!” he answered still trying to catch his breath. Looking at his phone he winced. Three received calls and five messages. .

In less than a minute his order was in front of him, one Chocolate cupcake and a Spicy Mocha on a to-go cup.

Trying to be as quick as possible, Daehyun didn’t think twice and promptly shoved the entire thing in his mouth, only then realizing that he wasn’t alone on the counter. From the corner of his eye he saw someone and turned to him, only to find said person with the hand holding the coffee frezed half way, gaping with an incredulous look.

Feeling more than embarrassed that someone witnessed his less than graceful moment, Daehyun quickly turned to the front, swallowed and, taking the to-go cup with him, hightailed out of there with a quick goodbye to Miss Yoo thrown over his shoulder.

He was lucky he was late and had to run to the meeting, this way he could excuse the way his face was red with the running effort, because even after he left he could feel the stranger’s gaze follow him.

 

 

After the Very Important Meeting  as referred to by Himchan, came the meeting with the new employees, presented by Junmyeon, the Human Resources Director.

They were 5 in total and Daehyun had only take a quick look at their resumes so he didn’t even know how they looked like. What could he say, he trusted the HR work and they had never disappointed him. And, in the end, if they made a bad choice, the new employees were on their trial period.

They would be joining different departments, the Public Relations Department, the HR Department, the Technical Support Team and the Administration as a new secretary for himself. His actual secretary was pregnant and couldn’t handle the already too big workload alone, so they were hiring another secretary to help her and do her work when the time for her maternity leave comes.

What Daehyun didn’t know was that he was going to regret the cupcake he ate that morning.

 

 

Arriving at the meeting room with time to spare, Daehyun came in time to hear the pep talk Junmyeon was giving to the new recruits.

    “...so like I said before, there’s nothing to worry about. Mr. Jung is a very accessible person and this is a tradition on Dreamedia put to practise by every Jung that has been the CEO until now. As it is, one of the company’s principles is that every employee hired, regardless of their job, meet the CEO at least once. I just remember Mr. Yoo to stay at the end seeing that you’ll be Mr. Jung’s new secretary.”

Taking the following silence as his cue, Daehyun knocked at the door and entered, greeting the HR Director and turning around to look to the now standing employees. Smiling and making eye contact with everyone, Daehyun had to control himself not to grimace when meeting the eyes of the last person.

There, on the line of Dreamedia’s new workers, stood the last man Daehyun wanted to see today (or maybe never again). There stood the stranger from the bakery. The only witness of his dark past.

Keeping his professional attitude, the CEO went on with the expected speech about the company and wishing everyone good luck on the new job. In the end everyone went to him to introduce themselves, stating their names and positions.

“Hello, I’m Kim Yongsun and I’ll be the new receptionist for the HR Department.”

“Pleasure to meet you Yongsun-ssi. I hope you adjust well to your new workplace.”

And it continued like that. Kim Seolhyun to the event organizing team. Kwak Aron as the new assistant to the Technical Support Team. And then there was just two jobs left. The website manager and his secretary. And Daehyun prayed to every deity of every religion that the damm man from the bakery wasn’t his secretary. Oh God, please let it be this one, please pleasepleaseplea-.

“Hello, Jung Daehyun-ssi. I’m Lee Jinki and I’ll be the new website manager.”

Oh FUU- “Hello Lee Jinki-ssi, I’m looking forward to the new look you’ll give to our company.” This day couldn’t be worse.

Taking a discrete deep breath, Daehyun mentally prepared himself to the embarrassment that was to come. He could only hope the man didn’t remember him.

“Hello! I’m Yoo Youngjae and I’ll be your new secretary. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you after all the emails we exchanged.”

Oh. He completely forgot that he had done an “interview” of his own, via email, to the one who was to be his secretary. All that has gone out of his mind the moment he saw the stranger from the bakery.

“Hello. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Well Daehyun-ssi, now that everyone was introduced I have to go.” said the oldest.

“Sure! Thank you for your work Junmyeon-ssi.” And like that the two of them were alone and the level of Daehyun’s mortification rose. Would he say something now that they were alone? Would he blackmail him? His father and his uncle would kill him if he let himself be blackmailed because of his need for chocolate cupcakes. He couldn’t work with Youngjae if he had to always be looking behind his back. Gulping, Daehyun turned to his secretary to see him pleasantly smiling. Was he laughing at him?

“Aahm-... So. Hum. Should we-...” Daehyun stuttered feeling his cheeks heating up. Turning around quickly, he headed to the small drinking station and asked, “Youngjae-ssi, do you want to drink something? Water, coffee?”

“Spicy Mocha?”

“Wha-what!?” he yelped, spilling the glass of water he was filling. Youngjae was right by his side, helping him wipe the spilled water. “What did you say?” he asked now with a steadier voice but feeling his face hotter than ever.

“Coffee? Didn’t you said there was coffee Daehyun-ssi?” answered Youngjae, all the while with that intriguing smile that Daehyun didn’t know if he should find attractive or infuriating.

“Oh, yeah. I thought I heard something else. Sorry for that. I swear I’m not this clumsy usually. You can ask Yeeun.”

“I already talked with her. She asked HR my contact and has been emailing me since the job interview. Apparently she wanted to see if I was capable and warn me of what to expect.”

“Warn you?” he chuckled nervously, “What did she tell you?”

“Humm… To expect a lot of work...  working after hours… and babysitting.”

“Yah, she already made you promise to take care of her kid and he hasn’t been born yet.”

“I believe she meant you, Daehyun-ssi.” the younger said, lightly amused.

Running his hand over his face, Daehyun sighed. Yeeun was his uncle’s secretary and since he came work to the company and later taken the place of his uncle, she has treated him like her younger brother. And like a true older sister, embarrassing him was mandatory. Hearing a low chuckle, Daehyun’s head snapped and he glared at the other male who quickly covered it with a cough.

Sighing again, Daehyun made a decision. If this was going to work, they had to talk about what happened that morning. Youngjae had good recommendations and he had been eager to work with him. He couldn’t let a possible bad impression ruin that. “Sit. We should talk.”

“Am I going to be fired already?”

“No! We just need to talk about… you know.”

“Talk about? I honestly don’t know Daehyun-ssi.” Oh he could see the smirk that he was trying to hide.

“Stop pretending, Youngjae-ssi. I’m talking about the… the…” he finished motioning with his hand.

“The?” And now he was openingly smirking. The bastard.

Huffing, Daehyun said exasperated, “The cupcake thing!”

“Ah… You mean the way you practically breathed that cupcake in? No offence, boss-nim.”

“I knew you couldn’t have forgot it!”

“It’s a sight a little hard to forget.”

“Why me?” he lowly whined.

 

 

After making Youngjae promise he wouldn’t tell anyone what he saw nor blackmail him with it, both went up to the Administration floor to introduce the new secretary to his workplace.

“Youngjae! Look at you! You’re more handsome in person!”

“Yeeun-noona, I thought you and Jinwoon-hyung were committed to each other? So why are you flirting with my new secretary?”

“I’m just observing your new secretary.” she winked to Daehyun if only to see him panick, and turned to Youngjae, “Did you know you’re totally is type?”

“Noona! We’re professionals here!” Hearing said male laugh and seeing the amused look he was giving him, Daehyun just give up on having a normal day. “I’ve had enough. I’m going to my office, he’s in your care now. If something important comes up, you’re free to do it for me.” and then under his breath added, “I just want this day to end.”

 

 

The next day, Daehyun entered his favorite bakery only to came face to face with the man that, dramatically speaking, ruined his day the day before.

“Good morning Daehyun-ssi.” he said with an angelic smile while, ironically or maybe not, eating a chocolate cupcake.

Glaring at the cake on the other’s hand he muttered, “Good morning Youngjae-ssi. What a coincidence seeing you here again, hum?”

“Well it shouldn’t be that surprising, after all, this is owned by my great-aunt.”

“What?” he said incredulously.

“Boss-nim, if I didn't know better I would say you didn’t even read my file or at least memorize my last name.” he said before pointedly taking a bite of his cupcake.

“Of course I memorize it I just didn’t make the connection.” he then added low enough Youngjae shouldn’t have heard, “You’re too sassy.”

“Did you say something, Daehyun-ssi?”

He sighed when he was spared from answering because Miss Yoo came from the back, his order already ready. “Good morning Mr. Daehyun. Your favorite, freshly made.”

“Ah~ Miss Yoo you’re an angel, have I ever told you that?”

“Every day my dear. I see you’ve finally met each other, this way you can do your proposal in person.”

“What do you mean Aunty?” Youngjae asked, nervously chuckling and turning Daehyun’s attention from the baked wonder to him.

“You know, dear Daehyun was the one who brought me that delicious strawberries with which I made your favourite cake. Don’t you remember? You even asked me to tell him you wanted to marry him if he always brought strawberries like that for you. Now you can propose yourself.” she finished with a giggle that rivaled a teenager’s.

Looking at Youngjae, Daehyun saw he slowly glance at him. Seeing the way his ears were turning pink, Daehyun smirked and said, “We’re even now.” and then took a bite of his cupcake and completely ruined his smug image by about how good it was and how he could just live eating cupcakes for the rest of his life. But who cares, the cupcake was a literal slice of paradise.

 

 

Daehyun didn’t know how it would be, working with Youngjae. What he knew was that things just got more interesting.

 

So? 

I was thinking in adding a second part with Youngjae's POV, what do you think?

Comments make me happy~