The Favor

Seasons Change But People Don't

A/N: It's not often I can update a story so quickly, but this time it's only because the chapter was pretty much finished already. The next chapter will probably take me a bit longer to finish. I forgot to mention that Sungyeol wouldn't be in the first chapter. He's in this one, though, and you get some answers. But not that many. Enjoy~

 

 


 

 

The door was open for less than five seconds before it was slammed shut right in Woohyun's face. He didn't get a chance to be surprised as the door was opened again and a long arm reached out and snatched the bag of Chinese food he was holding. He sputtered for a moment, at a loss for words, before his anger finally kicked in.

"What the hell," he yelled as he banged a fist on the door. Admittedly, Woohyun probably deserved that. It was his fault, after all, that their friendship ended the way it did. But he still felt offended. Shouldn't he be allowed to explain himself?

His fist was raised, ready to hit the door again, when it opened. He let his arm drop back down to his side and tried to put a neutral look on his face despite the disinterested one on the other guy's.

"What do you want?"

Woohyun wasn't expecting a hug or even a smile, but the other's cold tone still stung. "I need your help, Sungyeol," he said without any preamble. Whatever differences they had would have to wait.

He was prepared the next time Sungyeol went to slam the door in his face, wedging a foot between it. He slipped inside the apartment behind Sungyeol, who had assumed Woohyun would still be on the other side of the door.

"Just hear me out," Woohyun started once he closed the door behind him.

Sungyeol whirled around, the surprise on his face quickly turned to anger. "What the f—"

"Think of it as doing me a favor," Woohyun continued. He stepped further into the room, but kept his distance from the taller man. He wasn't hoping for a repeat of their last meeting. His jaw had been bruised for a week.

Sungyeol gave him an unimpressed look. "I don't owe you and I sure as hell don't want any favors from you, so you might as well leave right now."

This wasn't going at all like Woohyun had hoped. But it would be very unlike him if he gave up so quickly. Instead of heeding the other's somewhat polite warning, he strolled even further into the apartment and made himself comfortable on Sungyeol's couch. "Is that any way to treat an old friend," he asked as he pat the seat next to him.

Sungyeol denied the invitation with a curl of his lip. "You mean ex-friend."

"Same difference," Woohyun shrugged carelessly. He looked around the modest one-bedroom apartment, noting the lack of a personal touch. Everything was clean and organized for the most part. Yet there weren't any pictures of his friends or family or evidence of secret hobbies or guilty pleasures. Almost like it was his place, but he wasn't actually living in it. Woohyun chose not to comment on his observations. He was trying to get Sungyeol to trust him (or at least agree to help), he should be as ingratiating as possible. Or as much as was possible for him.

"So I know it's been a couple years and there's still a bit of bad blood between us—" Woohyun ignored Sungyeol's scoff at the understatement "—but I was hoping we could put it all behind us and start over." He tried to put as much confidence in his voice as he could. He didn't think it was possible, but his old friend actually managed to make him nervous. (Although, Woohyun would argue that the deathly glare the other hadn't stopped giving him would make anyone wary.) The guy in front of him wasn't the same mischievous, overly curious, and somewhat simple boy he had grown close to during school. This Sungyeol was serious and angry and Woohyun couldn't help wondering when the last time he smiled was.

He was willing to admit that the other was probably this way because of him. His childish mistakes and poor decision-making had eventually caught up with him and affected more than just himself. He never apologized to Sungyeol for the trouble he'd caused, mainly because he didn't think he was in the wrong. Now that he had grown up and was willing to see the situation from Sungyeol's point-of-view, he was ready to admit his faults.

"Why would I want to do something like that?" Sungyeol stood across the coffee table from him with his arms crossed and looking slightly less angry. Woohyun took that as a good sign.

"I'm sorry," he said. He hoped Sungyeol could see that he really meant it. "I should've said it earlier and it probably doesn't mean much to you now, but I really am." He waited for Sungyeol's response, expecting disbelief and for the other to tell him to get out again. But the taller man didn't say anything. He just continued to look at Woohyun; his eyes gave away nothing of what he was thinking. As the silence stretched between them Woohyun started to feel antsy. He wasn't sure if he should say something or take the other's silence to mean he had no interest in accepting the apology. Just when he began contemplating giving up, Sungyeol heaved a sigh. It sounded resigned, but it came out short and sharp as if he was angry.

"What do you want?"

It took Woohyun a second to process that Sungyeol wasn't kicking him out. That he was actually going to hear him out. "So you forgive me?" Woohyun was sure he looked as baffled as he felt.

Sungyeol rolled his eyes and walked over to the couch, dropping himself onto the other end. "What do you want," he asked again.

Woohyun noted his avoidance of the question as well as the change in his tone. It had lost its hostility, but he didn't know what to call it now. He tried his best to hide the victorious smile threatening to break out on his face. Of course, he didn't actually think he was going to fail. "Okay," Woohyun said as he settled himself more comfortably on the couch. He ignored the judging look Sungyeol leveled at him. "So, I have this friend. Great guy; I’ll introduce you to him soon. But anyway, this friend of mine, someone stole from him recently. They took something really important. And I promised him—well, my other friends and I—there’s six of us—we all promised him that we’d get it back for him no matter what. But the thing is, we need someone who can drive, like, really drive."

"And you couldn't think of anyone else to ask?"

"You were the first person I thought of." When they were friends Sungyeol had always sought out Woohyun's approval. He'd looked up to Woohyun (for reasons Woohyun still doesn't know and probably wouldn't understand) and always wanted to know that their friendship meant as much to Woohyun as it did to him. It was a long shot now, and probably a bit of a low blow, but Woohyun still hoped the subtle attempt at flattery would work.

“You do remember that my father’s a prosecutor, don’t you?”

Woohyun nodded confidently. “That’s not going to stop me.”

“Sure as hell didn’t stop you before,” Sungyeol mumbled.

I deserved that, Woohyun thought to himself. “I can’t promise things won’t go south,” he admitted. In his line of work, he had learned not to put too much stock in having things go according to plan. “But we know what we’re doing, if that counts for anything. And we know how to avoid trouble.” By the scoff Sungyeol let out at the statement, Woohyun expected another dig about their rocky history. It was going to take more than some food and flattering words to get back on Sungyeol's good side. If he still had one.

"After everything that's happened, what makes you think I'd trust anything that comes out of your mouth?"

"The fact that I'm sitting here," Woohyun countered. There was more confidence in his voice than he really felt. For all he knew, Sungyeol could very well have been humoring him just to get the satisfaction of turning him down or, worse, turning Woohyun in to his father. He'd never met Sungyeol's father and he wanted to keep it that way. “You could’ve kicked me out a long time ago. Obviously, you don’t hate me as much as you want me to think.”

"I don't think I can hate you any more than I do right now." Woohyun would've thought Sungyeol was just saying it to get under his skin, but his face was completely serious. A long silence stretched between them as Sungyeol's eyes bored holes into Woohyun. "I have no interest in helping you steal anything—"

"Steal back," Woohyun interjected.

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes at him before continuing. "Anyway, I don't want to help you, so this was a complete waste of time." He stood and picked up the forgotten bag of food. His face softened just the slightest bit as he held the bag in front of Woohyun's face. "You should ask someone else."

All the hope and confidence Woohyun had felt moments before was now dried up. Sunggyu and Hoya had predicted Woohyun's failure. Knowing his and Sungyeol’s history, they were doubtful that Sungyeol would be willing to join them. And a part of Woohyun knew they were right. No one would want to help someone who had betrayed them. But Woohyun's gut told him there was still a chance. He still had a reason to believe that Sungyeol would say yes.

Despite being older, Woohyun still wound up having to crane his neck to meet the other man's eye when he stood up. Rather than allowing him to catch up, time had given Sungyeol even more height instead. Woohyun didn't see how that was fair at all. "Why didn't you turn me in," he asked. The question had been on his mind since that night, but he never got the chance to voice it.

Sungyeol's eyebrows furrowed as he tried to understand. "What are you talking about?"

"You took all the blame," Woohyun answered. "It wasn't even your idea, but you didn't give anyone else up. I didn't go home for a week because I thought the police would already be there waiting for me if I did. And then I heard that you got caught and you said you were alone. You could've told the truth and you probably wouldn't even have been charged for anything thanks to your father. I don't get why you didn't. Why didn't you turn me in," he asked again.

The moment Sungyeol looked away from him Woohyun was sure he'd succeeded. "It doesn't matter," Sungyeol dismissed the question. It was too late, though. The other's reaction had told Woohyun everything he needed to know. The smile that stretched across his face didn't budge even the slightest despite the brusque way Sungyeol pushed the bag of food into his arms and steered him toward the front door.

Barring Sungyeol from opening the door (and subsequently shoving him out of it), Woohyun reached into his back pocket to pull out a business card. "Call me when you change your mind," he said.

“I won’t.” Having regained his composure, the stoic look was back on Sungyeol’s face.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Woohyun stepped aside to open the door himself. "It means just that. Tomorrow. Noon. Don't be late." The door swung shut on Sungyeol's confused expression.