DH: Butterflies

The City of Gods (sequel to The Treasure Island)

 

 

14.DH Butterflies

 

The road slightly narrowed when we took a turn away from the river. Green hills were in front of us and behind them foggy mountains. The smell of the humid rainforest was omnipresent and soon we would dive into it. I felt giddy but tried to hide it from Eunhyuk who was a little on the edge these days. Apparently, he was very worried about the safety of us all. I on the other hand was worried solely about Kyuhyun´s safety because the latter kept provoking the antsy morpheles, and I knew it couldn´t end well.

“I had no idea you were such a Casanova,” Kyuhyun was walking next to the llama, “with a face like that, it´s a real surprise.”

“Kyuhyun hasn´t learnt, has he?” Zhoumi who was walking beside me snorted. We were slightly behind and waiting for the outcome, trying to not be too close to the nervous guide.

“Maybe Donghae simply isn´t picky,” Kyuhyun shrugged and that´s when Eunhyuk had enough, spitting rudely at the hunter. But this time the latter was prepared and covered himself with the hem of his raincoat that he smartly left hanging from his backpack.

“That wasn´t bad,” I remarked quietly and Zhoumi nodded. Eunhyuk glared at me, or at least I think so because with those doe eyes it´s hard to tell.

“Don´t be like that, my dear Llama, I´m praising you here,” Kyuhyun continued happily, “I´m waiting for the day when you will eat up poor D-“

“ you!” Eunhyuk growled. Yeah, growled, as there was a wolf all of a sudden that had Kyuhyun pinned to the ground and was standing on him with his full weight and the weight of the harness on his back.

“Say one more word and I won´t be able to control myself anymore,” Eunhyuk warned, “you can´t always count on my patience.”

“Hyukkie!” I finally decided to stop this fight and tried to pull the wolf away from Kyuhyun for the hunter couldn´t breathe properly. Eunhyuk sighed and backed away, under my hands changing back into his llama form. I rubbed him between his ears and he started stomping away. We resumed in the walk.

“I never expect you to be patient,” to my horror, Kyuhyun still had things to say, “I´m counting on Donghae.” Kyuhyun then stuck his tongue at me playfully and continued side by side with the calmed llama.

“So,” Zhoumi cleared his throat after he felt that those two were far away enough from us. “What is there between you and Eunhyuk?” I was at loss for words and in the end didn´t answer him. But the question stayed on my mind since then, every now and then making me think of an answer. I didn´t have one.

The first camp in the jungle we built under a hill. Eunhyuk didn´t want to tire us out by climbing up in the evening and rather decided to start there tomorrow. He warned us to keep the tents closed to keep away insects and snakes. Yet, he himself was going to sleep outside on the ground and guarding the fire. But I couldn´t fall asleep, the sounds of the forest were scaring me, even more than Kyuhyun´s snoring. I climbed out of the tent and Eunhyuk raised his head.

“Is something wrong?” The deep wolf voice asked me in the gentlest manner he was capable of in this form.

“I can´t sleep, the jungle is strange at night,” I explained and sit down next to him.

“You should get some rest, Hae,” Eunhyuk poked my side with his snout.

“I´m all awake now,” I whined and cuddled his big head. Rubbing the fluffy fur and his ears.

“If you think that you will pat me and I will let you stay awake for that, you are wrong, Hae,” Eunhyuk hummed with satisfaction written all over his face.

“You are acting like a mother again,” I complained.

“More to the left, yeah, there,” the wolf didn´t forget to instruct me where it was itchy the most, “how do you want me to act then? Like a guide? Like I don´t care?”

“Stop twisting my words,” I mumbled but knew that he was right. Eunhyuk simply cared about me. “I´m afraid to go to sleep. I feel safer next to you.”

“I get it,” the wolf sighed, “bring here your sleeping bag.”

Grinning, I let go of his ears and rushed to the tent from where I pulled my covers. Placing them on the ground, I wormed myself in. Eunhyuk then made two rounds around me and lay next to me. Putting his head into the sleeping bag, he closed his tired yes. I watched him fall asleep and then zoned out myself.

The next day we began by climbing the hill above our camp. The slope wasn´t steep and the jungle wasn´t too thick yet, so the walk was relatively easy. Eunhyuk was walking first with the harness on his back, Kyuhyun was behind him and cutting the boredom by insulting the llama, Zhoumi was thinking of using the hunter as a shield if Eunhyuk explodes, and I was at the end and watching the whole group. This really felt like a real expedition.

Not only that it was exciting, everything was incredibly beautiful. Every plant was at least twice the size of those that are in our never-changing land, even the insect was pretty huge. I couldn´t take off my eyes of those colourful flowers and their long petals. It was charming and the smell was almost making my head spin. I wondered how Eunhyuk´s sensitive smell can withstand those flowers. The air was humid and hot, I felt like in a dream.

The white flower I was admiring turned out to be a butterfly and I watched in awe as the creature ascended slightly above my head and made three spins around. I felt dizzy and my body numbed, suddenly the whiteness from the butterfly spread all over the picture and I saw nothing. Realising something was wrong, I couldn´t stop my head from spinning and in the end the dizziness won over me as I slumped on the ground. Lying on my back, I tried looking up but the world was still spinning and I could hardly breathe. I wanted to call for help but my lips were dry, the panic made me feel even sicker.

“Donghae!” A man´s face intruded my hazy vision and I felt myself calm down right away. “Drink this.” Eunhyuk put his arm under my neck and gave me a sip of cold water, then he cradled me and put my head on his shoulder.

“What happened?” Zhoumi asked, I heard rattling of the equipment, somebody brought the harness with the baggage.

“I´m not sure but I suppose Donghae fainted from the mugginess, it´s damn hot,” Eunhyuk´s voice vibrated in my ears. “Let´s take a short break and then I will take him on my back.”

I clenched my teeth, here I was again taking the ride. Wasn´t it too early to be fainting? We didn´t even start the toughest part yet. I would have whined but I was too numb to do that, only motionlessly leaning on Eunhyuk´s body. The said man bent down and leaned his forehead on mine. I guessed he wanted to tell me something but I shivered at the touch. Sweat was forming on my neck and rolling down behind my collar, cold droplets making me shake.

“The next time you refuse to go to sleep at night, I will knock you down, silly.” It was all because of butterflies, wasn´t it?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I´m sorry for not updating the last week, I was very busy with school. But I think this chapter is enough to satisfy you after the long waiting. :3 Donghae is finally thinking about his feelings! Kyuhyun being an again, but useful :P Eunhyuk not even hiding his cheesiness anymore. I uploaded the the superhero story you voted for and I´m adding another poll for you too. Thank you for reading, commenting and upvoting and have a nice day! - PandaHero