Chapter 5

A Spot of Dither

A/N: Hello~ I'm back with another chapter!! Thank you to everyone who has left comments, subscribed, and upvoted on this story :) And also, thank you to the people silently reading and enjoying the story~ ^^

 

Wonwoo rolled over in his bed, stopping his alarm from going off for what felt like the twelfth time that morning. This time he turned the irritating contraption off completely; there was no way in hell he would be attending classes today, he just couldn’t bring himself to leave his room. As he turned off his alarm clock, he glanced at the time. It was already 3 o’clock in the afternoon.

As he closed his eyes once again, trying to fall back to sleep, his phone started vibrating violently against the table beside his bed. His phone had been vibrating constantly all night; it hadn’t stopped this morning either. It was making it difficult for Wonwoo to sleep, but he couldn’t bear to speak with Mingyu again; he couldn’t even bear to see a text message from that person, so Wonwoo decided to leave his phone alone.

Wonwoo shifted his body so that he was facing his blank bedroom wall. Of all people, why did Soonyoung have to set him up with Kim Mingyu? And most importantly why did he fall for the clumsy, disgusting, but oddly charming, good-looking, hilarious, cheating jerk? Wonwoo hated how quickly it took for him to feel comfortable with Mingyu, but he hated how quickly it took for Mingyu to ruin the trust that Wonwoo had developed.

As Wonwoo continued to stare at the white wall with a blank expression, another tear escaped his dead eyes. It was at this moment, when he was feeling like someone had torn out the heart from his chest, that Wonwoo realised how much he really did feel for Mingyu before. As much as he had denied his feelings for Mingyu, Wonwoo could now see that they had been obvious; otherwise it wouldn’t have been affecting him this badly.

Wonwoo’s dark thoughts were interrupted by a rhythmical knock on his front door.

‘Wonwoo, are you okay? It’s me, Soonyoung’ a voice called out.

‘Go away’ Wonwoo shouted back, not moving an inch from his position on the mattress.

Wonwoo hid himself under his pile of blankets when he heard footsteps heading towards his room. As his bedroom door swung open, he groaned. Now was a time where he just wanted to be left alone.

‘Good thing we invested in this spare key, isn’t it?’ Soonyoung said, taking a seat on Wonwoo’s single mattress.

Wonwoo didn’t move from his curled-up position underneath his blankets.

‘What’s wrong Wonwoo?’ Soonyoung asked with a sigh ‘You’ve never skipped classes before, and Mingyu asked about you earlier today; he was worried about you because you didn’t show up yesterday afternoon’

Wonwoo made a disgusted face which went unseen by Soonyoung.

‘Have you even been out of bed today?’ Soonyoung asked ‘I’m not leaving until you tell me what’s wrong; I’m here for you to lean on. I might act like an idiot sometimes, but I’m your best friend and you can tell me anything’

Wonwoo finally appeared from under the covers, wearing a detached expression.

It was a look that Soonyoung had never seen before. Although Wonwoo’s natural expression was a bit blank, the look he had now was different. It seemed like he was in pain.

‘You’re not okay’ Soonyoung concluded, standing up from his friend’s bed ‘I’ll make you a nice hot chocolate and when I get back we can talk about it. Okay?’

‘Thank you’ he said, his voice sounding groggy from oversleeping.

It didn’t take long for Soonyoung to return, slipping the mug into Wonwoo’s hands, who was now in a sitting position on the edge of his own bed.

‘Now what happened?’ Soonyoung asked, a look of concern appearing on his face.

Wonwoo took a sip of the hot chocolate. It tasted so good; he didn’t realise how thirsty and hungry he had been before.

‘I don’t really want to talk about it but…’ Wonwoo started to say ‘I found Mingyu with a girl yesterday afternoon and-and that’s why I didn’t meet with him yesterday’

Soonyoung’s eyes widened, he didn’t believe it for one second.

‘That doesn’t sound like Mingyu at all’ Soonyoung said, the surprise evident in his tone of voice.

‘I saw it with my own eyes’ Wonwoo argued ‘They were kissing by the campus entrance… I feel so stupid for falling for him. I mean, I know I was acting like I wasn’t but I really was; I was falling hard Soonyoung’

‘I just don’t know what to do. My heart feels broken…’ Wonwoo continued, burying his face into his best friend’s shoulder.

Soonyoung felt awful for Wonwoo, he had never seen his friend heartbroken like this, and he felt like he was part of the blame. If he had never pushed him into that blind date in the first place, Wonwoo wouldn’t be in this position now.

‘I’m sorry Wonwoo’ he apologised, looking down at his broken best friend’s head resting on his shoulder.

‘You didn’t do anything wrong this time. You were right, I do need to get out more often. And I need to stop retreating back into my apartment every time something goes wrong’ Wonwoo spoke softly ‘I’ll attend classes again tomorrow’

Soonyoung smiled, he was proud of Wonwoo.

‘I just never want to see Kim Mingyu again; I don’t think I can bear to’ Wonwoo admitted.

Soonyoung was still confused as to why Mingyu would cheat on Wonwoo. He didn’t think Mingyu was that type of guy, despite his confidence and appearance. He had known Mingyu since he was a teenager, back when he used to attend high school in Anyang, and Mingyu was a lot of things but he wasn’t somebody who was capable of cheating.

‘I… I know you won’t agree with me but…’ Soonyoung began to say ‘I don’t think Mingyu could ever cheat on you. He absolutely adores you; he wouldn’t stop asking about you today. It was kind of annoying actually’

Wonwoo maintained an unreadable expression, so Soonyoung decided to continue.

‘I’ve known him for a while, and Mingyu definitely isn’t the type of person to cheat on someone. If he didn’t like you, then he would tell you. When he broke up with his girlfriend in high school, he told her straight to her face, and wasn’t mean about it or anything. He’s a kind guy, and I’m sure there is some type of explanation’.

‘I-I don’t know Soonyoung… I don’t think I’m ready to have my heart broken again, I shouldn’t be thinking I have some chance with him. A-And there isn’t really any explanation for what I saw him doing’

‘Wonwoo… just think about calling him?’ Soonyoung suggested ‘The worst that could happen is that he tells you he doesn’t like you. Then you’ll at least be able to get some closure and move on’

Wonwoo sighed, letting his head fall into his hands.

‘I don’t know, I’ll think about it’ he mumbled, rubbing his temples.

‘Well, I should probably get going. I have to brush up on the choreography before my mid-term dance examinations’ Soonyoung said, standing up and rubbing Wonwoo’s back ‘Don’t stress out, it won’t be the end of the world. And don’t forget to eat’

Soonyoung took out a bag of take-away Chinese food, sitting it on Wonwoo’s desk.

‘Thank you’ Wonwoo said, truly grateful to have such a good friend in Soonyoung.

Once Soonyoung had left the apartment, Wonwoo picked up his phone from the table.

He had 42 missed calls and 12 messages; only two of them were from Soonyoung.

Hovering his finger over the ‘call back’ option, Wonwoo contemplated whether or not he was ready to speak with Mingyu again. Deciding against it, Wonwoo put his phone back down and curled up underneath his bed covers.

He didn’t think he could do this tonight. He was far too mentally drained for this.

Not long after he had drifted off to sleep that night, another knock sounded on his front door.

‘Wonwoo? Are you home? It’s me, Mingyu’ a voice called out.

Wonwoo’s eyes instantly shot open; he really didn’t want to see Mingyu right now.

‘Wonwoo?’ Mingyu shouted again ‘I-I think you’re in there’

Wonwoo shifted uncomfortably in his bed.

‘If you are in there. I-I just wanted to make sure you’re okay’

Wonwoo stayed silent, staring at his closed bedroom door.

‘Was it something I did? If I did something wrong, you can tell me’ he continued ‘Whatever I did, I’m sorry…’

Wonwoo held a pillow over his ears, a tear escaping his eyes for the second time that day. Mingyu was making this ten times more difficult than it needed to be. All he wanted was to get over the boy who broke his heart; why was this so hard?