Waiting I

Waiting

       He had a mask on his face, sunglasses perched on the bridge of his nose, and a black cap donned on his head. Walking into Seoul Hospital, he signed in and walked down the desolate halls, with a bouquet of mixed plants.

       Acacia flowers for her elegance. Almond blossoms for his never-ending hope. Aloe for his sorrow. Wormwood for her absence from his life. And apple blossoms for their promises. 

       It had already been 5 years without her warmth. 5 years without her smiles. 5 years without her hugs. 5 years without her melodic voice that felt like it came from the heavens. Yes, it had been five years, but he was waiting.

       Entering the high class hospital room, he shut the door silently, walking to the comatose body lying on the large, solid bed. Next to her were already some flowers that he brought a few days ago, that had wilted a tiny bit. Removing the original plants and changing the water, he added fresh water, placing in the new plants.

       He sat down upon the cold hospital chair, placing her unmoving hand in his palm, tracing imaginary circles on it. She was surrounded with beeping machines, and needles stuck in her arms, with an oxygen mask on her face. It hurt to see her in that state, especially when he vividly remembered her being so lively and cheerful.

       After a few minutes, he began tracing the character 爱 (love) on her hand, and began to speak to her like usual. “宝贝(baby), a lot has happened since you have fallen asleep. I've become an idol in China and Korea. You wanted to see me on stage, didn't you? You always said you loved seeing me working hard. I'm earning more than enough money to support us." His eyes reddened slightly, and his voice seemed to crack a little. 

       "Even after so long, you're still so beautiful. Just like Sleeping Beauty. I wonder if you'll wake up when I give you a kiss?" His voice squeaked a bit, and he remembered what the doctor said.

       "Talking to her for long periods of time could help her gain some semblance of consciousness. We aren't sure about why she has fallen into a coma; there is nothing that seems to be physically wrong, but it may be due to trauma of some sort that we are unable to locate. You should probably give up sooner or later. After all, it has been 5 years already."