Chapter 1

Scandalous Mess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What tip?” I heard a familiar voice ask. “Goddammit! Tell me, woman!” I groaned without opening my eyes, informing my somnolent presence in the room. The voice lowered and I smiled as I rolled on the other side of the bed to fall back asleep more comfortably. The withering rays of sunlight, unfortunately, had other plans. I chose to ignore it but only two seconds was what it had to pull me straight up from the bed.

“Ugh” I tousled my blonde short hair in annoyance. Stupid Sun. “You’re up” The harsh voice which spoke in rudely a while ago sang in a rather squeaky melodious voice. “Oh, Fany. You slept over?” I asked turning back to acknowledge her presence only to shoot her a puzzled look. “You look…good?” I pointed at her attire. Not that she doesn’t at other times but to be dressed up this early morning…not very likely of her. I know her well enough to know that she’d rather roam around in her PJs or anything comfy if she had no plans. She rolled her eyes and gathered her initially straight, ash brown hair locks which were now softly curled to the front. It complemented well with her outfit of baby pink crop top paired with an ice blue jean, giving off a bubblier look for the day. “Gee, Thanks”

“Well…?” I asked, still waiting for an answer. “Nothing. Just dropped by” She fell back on the bed. “…Because why not?” She Smiled cheekily. Before I could even shoot another question, several clanking noises followed into the room. My eyes narrowed down at her and she gave a guilty smile in return.

 “You guys seriously need to stop doing this!” I opened my bedroom door and warned the six figures in the living room for the nth time. “This is not a hangout place for you guys to come and go as you like” I walked towards them, my pajama t-shirt swaying back and forth as it helplessly hung on my tiny body. “Without even my permission” I folded my arms.

Seriously. I do not even know when they come in, but apparently, this is my apartment. “We’ll tell you the next time” Siwon bowed a half- apology and went back to eating his popcorn with Sunny. Ah, Siwon. The exact reason why Tiffany is dressed up. I shot him a glare and he added “if we remember” pointing out the correction to what last said. Next time. Next time. Next time. God knows how many times I’ve heard from them but yet…here they are. I sighed and my eyes lazily caught on something that made me almost lose my breath.

The clock.

11:00 AM it read.

I overslept?

“Crap. Crap. Crap!” Panic took over my oh-I-am-so-furious face and I instantly turned around to rush to my room. “WHY DID NO ONE WAKE ME UP?” I screamed to no one in particular. ! You are so dead, Kim Taeyeon. Oh good lord. Save me. I hurried into the bathroom to get ready when Tiffany stopped me. “WAIT! Can you chill!” She shook me.

“UHH...CHILL? I AM ALREADY LATE TO THE SHOOTING AND YOU WANT ME TO CHILL?” I stood there screaming, a part of me hoping my best friend had something up rolled up on her sleeve and a part of me screaming to rush back into getting ready.

“You’re schedule got canceled” She announced.  Oh, thank god. “Canceled? Why though?” I asked, finally taking a good deep breath. “Why didn’t I know about this? Why would they cancel when it’s going to air tomorrow? Did something happen? Is there an issue regarding the show?” I bombarded her with questions as she dragged me out from the bathroom and made me sit on the bed. Why didn’t I know about this? “They called SM and apologized because a political related event is gonna take that slot tomorrow. So they postponed the shooting and said that they’ll let you know when to come” She filled in.

“Oh?” Well, this is surprising. “And that is why we came. Because it’s your free day now!” She squealed, all excited. “Get ready and come to have breakfast, Teuk made pancakes,” She said leaving me alone in the room.

Well I guess, I could take a day off. I have had shooting all week, from CFS to Variety shows. I should just relax today.

Grabbing a denim short and a white blouse off the rack, I got into the bathroom to freshen up.

“Yesss” I exclaimed as the heavenly smell of pancakes hit me. Lee-teuk was busily preparing breakfast for everyone alongside Seohyun and Eunhyuk. It’s time like this that makes me question if this apartment is actually mine.

“Oh, I missed your pancakes!” I skipped over to Teuk and inhaled the sweet aroma of the pancake he was now making. “You know, if you were still with me, you could have plenty of these every day?” He leveled to my height and flipped his blonde bangs to aside to shoot me a wink. I shook my head in return.

“We broke up. Looong ago.” I reminded him. Yes, I actually dated this one. This was back when we were trainees and were struggling to debut. Lucky enough, our dreams came true and we each managed to land the leadership positions of our own groups that have now grown to be one of the most popular groups which left a huge impact on the Korean industry; Girls Generation and Super Junior.

“Oh I miss the times, he used to always ‘Accidentally’ walk into our practice session and then just stays with us” Seohyun quoted the word accidentally in the air while stacking up the pancakes on a plate. “Oh and later on he would get permission from my uncle to give vocal lessons to us when really he just wanted to spend time with Taeyeon” Sunny joined into the teasing, as she brought over the emptied popcorn bucket. Everybody laughed making Leeteuk blush in embarrassment.

I joined in reminiscing the time I went to see our CEO, Lee Soo Man and he told me how Leeteuk just left a while ago after suggesting it. He would tease me and pass me hints about what Leeteuk had been telling him. It would wrong if I said our CEO had no part in hooking us up. H

But, It just didn’t work out for us, I guess. We were kids but that didn’t keep us from keeping our friendship since we weren’t that serious about our feelings.

“We could still give it a try” He shrugged, focusing back on the pancake. “No thank you but I have got a lovely boyfriend now” I pat his back before turning around to face the rest. “Speaking of which, why didn’t you guys invite him over?”

“Oh, Wooyoung? He had plans” Siwon said not looking away from his phone. Plans? What plans? The only plan he would have today is the WINWINWIN shooting with me. Right. Where is my phone again?

“He’s hanging out with his mom today” Tiffany continued, as she walked around Siwon’s seat to go sit on the couch, shooting a quick glance at his phone on the way.

I swear to god. This girl needs to be a little lowkey about her feelings.

“Okay. Okay! Breakfast’s ready!” Eunhyuk called, bringing in the last plate on to the dining table. The thought of my phone was thrown back with the breakfast call. I’ll just enjoy the good pancakes for now and then go search for it.

Breakfast ended with joy, laughter and nonstop jokes from Eunhyuk. We all then lazily curled up on the couches. Nothing but silence filled the entire apartment as everyone was just lost in their own thoughts. Well except, Siwon who was fully concentrated on his phone with a little knot on his forehand. I wonder if everything is alright with him.  

Bored, I decided to turn on the TV when Lee teuk snatched the remote away from me. I shot a surprised look in return.

Great. Did I lose my ownership over my things too now?

“No, and you Siwon, leave that phone of yours. Sometimes we just have to appreciate the surrounding.” He inhaled a deep breath as if he was starting a meditation. I shot him the most ridiculous look I could give.

Surrounding? What the is he talking about?

“You can appreciate it on your own” I snapped before jumping up and snatching it back from him. By the time he got up to take it back from me, I ran away laughing with the remote and turned the TV on while doing so. I came to a halt when I managed to catch a glimpse of the picture on the TV screen. “We are-“

The reporter was unable to continue with the “Breaking News” as the picture zoomed out into the black. By then everyone was on their feet. A worried look was written all over their face. “Hey” Teuk who was now holding the remote placed his hand on my shoulder.

I brushed it off.

“What was that?” I pointed to the black screen.

Nobody answered.

“I SAID WHAT WAS THAT!” I screamed as I felt tears prick in my eyes.

Teuk turned back the TV on and there was a picture of me, Wooyoung broken apart. “The massive breakup?” Words headlined at the bottom right corner of the T.V.

What is happening…

Break up?

When did we break up?

My mind was all baffled and I couldn’t seem to take a step nor speak another word.

Wooyoung and I have been openly dating for three years. The public surprisingly took our dating news well and have been showing us with their support ever since.

This has to be a joke. Yes. Maybe they created a variety show which pulls all sorts of pranks. And today we are the victims. Hahaha.

Haha

Ha…

Everyone stayed quiet and the news went on.

“Wooyoung was last night caught with his labelmate, Bae Suzy sharing an intimate skinship near her house” explained the reporter and then pictures of the ‘incident’ was shown.

Wooyoung...

Suzy…

Skinship…

I-I’ve been…cheated on?

“That’s enough information” Tiffany unplugged the TV. Seohyun guided me to the couch and they all surrounded me. No one said a word. What could they possibly say even? That it’s false? The pictures were damn clear. What kind of a camera did even the paparazzi use? Couldn't he/she use a crappy camera so no one would be able to recognize them? And so that we could dismiss it as false information and get on with our lives?

Seohyun hugged me and I need that. I needed strength to be even in an upright position. Soon, the rest joined and I was under the warmth of six souls that I could only helplessly rely on.

I thought he loved me. I trusted him. He wasn’t supposed to be the type to cheat. A stream of tears ran down my cheeks as I recalled that one guest in WINWINWIN who claimed Wooyoung to be the faithful and loyal type.

“Sc-Scammer!” I managed a cry before I broke down.

“Mm,” Tiffany nudged me, handing out her phone. “It’s shosho” Ah. The Manager. I nodded, not receiving it. I didn’t wanna talk. It’s only been half an hour. I need time to gather my thoughts. I need a week. No, make that one year. I still haven’t cried my heart out. I need to be alone but they won’t let me.

Tiffany heaved a sigh before picking it up herself. “Tiffany speaking.” I heard her agree to a couple of things on the phone. She is probably asking her to NEVER Leave my side. My thoughts got cut off when Tiffany placed the phone near to my ear. “Yes?” I was forced to speak.

“Listen, Taeyeon. Save the crying for later because we need to fix this. This scandal could lead you from getting any opportunities because Wooyoung has crazy fangirls who would defend him. You may be the victim here but they could turn that around. So, we need to clear this off soon, alright?”

“Alright?!!” She repeated the question when I gave no response. I hmm-ed. “Good, because you and Wooyoung already lost the WINWINWIN show and we do not want that to happen to the rest of your shows” So that’s what happened.

Political-related event my .

I was ready to shoot a glare at Tiffany but I was too tired. “Okay. So I got a hold of this person who could help us in clearing this thing. He’s got a couple of ideas and he would like us to meet him. Yeah, he is quite a powerful person.”

Interesting. “Okay?” I asked her to continue. This might actually help. I need to talk to with Wooyoung but first I need to save myself. He and… Suzy can share their worries together.

“I know this may sound impossible but you need to go to the Bupsu Hotel.” “WHAT?!!” Shosho has got me talking a lot more than anybody here could.

“GO? ME?” I asked.

“Yes. Yes. I know reporters are waiting near your place but you have to sneak out somehow. He wants US to go to HIM. And I cannot go in a van to fetch you because then they will follow. So somehow, go there now. Okay? I will go there too”

“Who the hell does this guy think he is?” Honestly. Can he not read the situation? Is he the one involved in a scandal or me? What makes him think that I could go to him without any reporters following me?

“You know how oldies can be” Shosho tried to calm me down. “So anyway, get ready now!”

“Do we really have to do this?” Siwon asked, uncomfortable. I looked up to the black hooded figure next to me. “You know, if you had accepted that god damn helicopter, your father gave, we wouldn’t be having this problem” I gave him a sarcastic smile. For someone who had zero strength a while ago, I sure am forcing out a lot of energy.

Well, a girl’s got to do, what a girl’s got to do.

You know the saying, save yourself first, Cry later. 

That is not even a thing…Kim Taeyeon.

Oh well.

 

I looked at the rest with the black hooded get up in the elevator. I swear we probably look like a bunch of thieves ready to rob a bank.

“Let’s do this” I announced as the elevator hit open.

One by one, each ran out distracting and tricking a bunch of reporters into following them. The paparazzi took no chance and ran after them.

Are these reporters dumb enough to think I am that tall even?

They probably thought it was Wooyoung.

Sunny who happened to almost the same size as me, ran out last. Though the majority of the paparazzi scattered away, few remained in front of the building.

The smart ones, I see.

Within few minutes, a police car pulled over right in front of the building and the policemen got out to question the reporters.

That’s my cue.

I crawled up to the car and swiftly got in with the help of the security guard. I crouched in between the back and front seat and was able to maintain the uncomfortable position until the policemen got back in and drove off.

Mission accomplished!

The police officers dropped me at the Bupsu Hotel car park. I bowed a thank you and rushed to my van as soon I recognized it.

“Really? Black hoody with a black mask?” ShoSho commented on my attire. “Hey, these got delivered today, okay. It’d be a waste not to wear them” I tried to be defensive. She shook her head and reached out to a bright red colored wig on the back seat.

“You have got to be kidding me” I muttered as the hideous wig came into my sight.

“No. Black hoodie, black mask, all black will make people suspicious. So wear that temporarily on top and don’t put the hoodie on.” She pulled down my hoodie and got on with fixing the wig on my hair.

Things I have to do as an idol.

“Won’t it fall?” I was unsure as the wig sat on top my head, unbalanced. “It’s not like you are gonna run. Just walk slowly and normally okay” She reminded me. “I don’t have any extra outfit at the moment, so I can’t help you with your attire screaming ‘I am an idol in disguise’ but wear this” She handed me a mini red backpack.

“Greaaaaaaaat” I showed my nonexistent enthusiasm. I think I would prefer the look of a thief from a random weird student outfit.

Ugh, there goes my dignity.

“You are doing good” Shosho tried to cheer me on. “Okay. For some reason, I saw a few paparazzi here too.” She started.

HERE TOO? I swear these reporters are jobless.

“But I don’t think they here for work or anything. I don’t know. So, we can’t be seen together because then they’ll figure it out. So, go to suite number 420 which I have reserved and he will go in, in a while. Discuss everything and come back okay? I’ll be here, waiting in the van.” Shosho handed me the suite entry card.

I mumbled a prayer as soon I walked into the hotel lobby and pulled up my hoodie. Everywhere I looked, a reporter was wandering around. Few paparazzi? There is a bunch of them here. Honestly, these paparazzi look like policemen ready to catch some bad guy and today in which I am guessing that bad guy is me. So, no way in hell am I risking my life with this bright red wig. “A subtle wig would have done,” I said beneath my breath.

With each step, I mumbled a prayer in hope that no reporter would recognize me. The bangs of the red wig did help me covering most of my eyes but I wouldn’t say it was really helping me with where I was going. Where is the lift even?

From the corner of my eyes, I saw a paparazzi eyeing me. This is bad. Unknowingly, my footsteps took a quick pace and it wasn’t too late when I heard someone scream “OVER THERE!”

And THAT.

WAS.

IT.

maintaining a disguise. My life mattered more. And so, I ran.

To where though? I had no freaking clue.

All I know was I was hearing several steps and screaming coming from behind and I was running down a long, long hallway now.   YOU OLD GUY!

Eyes glued to the floor, I ran at full speed not looking anywhere else knowing people would move out of my way. As the cluttering sounds of heels, fast steps and Camera flashes neared I knew they were narrowing the gap. My heart started beating so loud it felt as it was about to beat out of my chest. This is what I would prefer to call a zombie apocalypse except for the fact that even zombies know when to chill unlike these paparazzi and also for the fact that I would rank these paparazzi even scarier than a zombie.

 I tried to sprint even faster and that was my hoodie fell off and so did my unevenly placed red wig off unleashing my short blonde hair.

.

Now that I think about the wig actually did a pretty good job without falling off that soon.

“Oh? IS THAT TAEYEON?”

Wait what?!!!

What do you mean “Is that Taeyeon?” Did they not know before?

Hold on.

Did I just dig my own grave?!

Damn, right you did Taeyeon. Good Going.

I tore my gaze away from the floor to look up and I finally took notice of figure running even faster ahead of me from the right. How did I not notice that before?

The figure which seemingly belonged to a male was now almost at the end of the hallway. His black attire did confirm he is an idol too. Shosho was right. We idols probably appear stupid in trying to disguise ourselves to the rest of the world.

WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT THIS NOW KIM TAEYEON. YOU’VE GOT A BUNCH LOAD OF REPORTERS COMING RIGHT AFTER YOU.

Inner me is ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter