"Hyunji"

OURS (ON HOLD)

The night has come and tomorrow my role as volunteer will officially began. 

 

For tomorrow, it will be 'Get-To-Know Everyone' event. Where all the kids will introduce theirselves to us, volunteers, and vice versa. I've known most of the kids, but some are new. I wonder who are the volunteers and will I able to see same faces again.

 

"They're here!" 

 

We all looked out and saw people coming out from the bus. Waaa, there's a lot!

 

"Bomi!" I run fast as soon as I saw her coming out. She was the first person we know, Howon and I, since we started visiting the orphanage and became our close friends. 

 

"It's been a long time!" She said as she hugged me. "Oh. Where's Howon?" 

 

"He got other business to do, so he can't join this time." When I noticed she's about to talk again, which in my instincts a question about him, I interrupt her right away. "Let's be roommate, again!"

 

Just then her face turns gray, "Ah, I want to but I brought my friend and she want me to be her roommate since it's her first time."

 

 "Then I'll just join you guys. I can talk to Ahjumma. And so your friend will have another friend!" 

 

"Okay! That would be nice!"

 

After gathering all the volunteers with their luggage and my small conversation with Bomi, we went inside as they ordered. 

 

This time, they are sending the volunteers to their designated rooms with their roommates. That's when I sneak and ask Ahjumma for a private talk.

 

"Can you send me to the same room as Bomi and her friend? Please?" I begged.

 

It's perfect cos I heard all the rooms, except mine, can contain 3 person. Me, Bomi and her friend will be perfect.

 

"Ah, sorry Eunji but since yesterday it's all settled." 

 

"Yoon Bomi, Lee Sojin and Cha Minjae, in room 2." Just then I heard them announced Bomi's roommate and room number.

 

Sigh.

 

"And you already have your roommate." Ahjumma continued.

 

"And for room 1, Jeong Eunji and Kim Sungkyu."

 

"Yeh?" I asked in shocked. "Ahjumma."

 

"Okay, you can have your rest now. Tomorrow, at 6 a.m. we will have some excersices to do before we start the first event." 

 

And so they all went to their designated rooms. Bomi just throw me an okay sign and a thumbs up.

 

Ah, I really want to be with Bomi. Why must I share the room with Sungkyu, though? It's not that it will be an issue, cos all room has a male roommate but of all people why me?

 

"Eunji and Sungkyu, stay for a while." 

 

The ahjummas then look at us smiling. "Don't worry, Eunji-yah. Sungkyu is a nice man." Said one of them.

 

Sungkyu just nod and smile.

 

"Eunji-yah, the reason why Sungkyu is your roommate is because Mr. Kim asked this favor because he trust you. He knows how good you are and he believes you can handle Sungkyu well."

 

"Handle? Me? Why am I being treated as a dog here?" Sungkyu exclaimed with frustration. "Look. I can be with my own."

 

"We all know that but trust me, you need Eunji."

 

No more words came out from them and they just leave us two looking dumb.

 

"Don't worry, as they said, I am not a bad person." Sungkyu reassured to me. 

 

"Hope so. But that's not what bothered me." He twitched his brows. "How would we supposed to be comfortable with each other? It's just fine if you were my friend but we just knew each other awhile ago."

 

"You think too much." Then he walked away. 

 

After some seconds I followed him, to our room. 

 

"I'll use the shower first since it's always 'Ladies' First', right?" I asked while he just read his book.

 

"No problem." Answered without taking his eye off to the book. 

 

I took the shower and changed clothes inside the bathroom since my roommate is a male. After that, I laid on my bed and play with my phone because l don't feel sleepy yet. 

 

"How long have you been a volunteer here?" Sungkyu asked as soon as he got out from the bathroom. 

 

"I only volunteer every winter break, it's my third time now." I answered stucking my eyes on my phone.

 

"Why are you doing this? Is it enjoying?"

 

"Of course! It feels nice to help and see the kids happy especially when Christmas time." 

 

"What happens when Christmas time?"

 

"We sing, we play games, we eat together and we give the kids the gift they want." 

 

"How would you know what they want? You directly ask them? It's not surprising, if ever." 

 

"Yep we asked them but not too obvious. Like for example, if you asked the kid what he wants to be like after he graduated college and answered he wants to be pilot. There, you have the answer."

 

"So, you will give that kid an airplain toy?"

 

His tone sounds disappointing so I set aside my phone, got up from laying and sit while looking at him.

 

"Yes but with a letter. A letter that consist words that encourage and give him hope for his dreams. That's the best gift you can ever give to someone."

 

He tilt his head, like showing he don't get what I'm trying to say.

 

"Sooner or later, you will understand. Goodnight."

 

"Oh.. goodnight."

 

"Don't forget to turn off the lights." Because he is just a hand away from the switch.

 

 When turned off the lights, he then again let out a question regarding the curtain of my window.

 

"You're gonna leave it like that?" 

 

"Why?"

 

"Cos if yes, it'd be nice. Since I can't sleep when it's too dark."

 

"Don't worry. I'll leave it like this. I like seeing those twinkling stars."

 

I heard no more but a snore. Waa, he fell asleep so fast!? 

 

KIM SUNGKYU'S POV

I pretended asleep cos I don't want to engage myself and ask about stars. And think of her again. And cry.

 

"Hmmm hmmmm hmmmm hmmm hmm,

Hmmm hmmmm hmmm hmm."

 

Just then I heard her humming a familiar song. 

 

When I glance at Eunji, I saw her sitting in her bed, head's looking up that stars. 

 

Why does she reminds me of someone. She reminds me of....

 

"Hyunji."