Beer Pong

Being Okay

“Fresh cut grass, one cold beer.”

Rin had to admit that she was very uncomfortable -- extremely uncomfortable, in fact. There were many, many people around. She only knew, well, eight people in the crowd tonight, and it was a bit overwhelming. ‘Why, oh why, did I agree to come to this?’ she thought to herself. You see, parties weren’t really as much her thing as they were Jungkook’s. Honestly, she’d never understand him, she decided, as she looked at her boyfriend fooling around with the other members of his band. He was always so energetic around them, acting sassy and funny and cool, for lack of better terms. Except for the fact that, well, he usually wasn’t. Rin couldn’t begin to fathom how the Jungkook who was whiny (but cute), awkward (but adorable), annoying (but lovable), and seriously just acted like the biggest kid she’d ever met (her favorite kid) was the same person in front of her now. Speaking of him, he was walking over to her with his signature smile on his face.

“Babe,” he said, dragging out the word.

“What,” Rin replied tiredly, trying to suppress a grin. He wrapped his arms around her waist, and she gladly buried her face in his chest as he rested his chin on her head. Having a tall boyfriend did have its perks, after all.

“What’s wrong?” he asked quietly. “You aren’t hanging out with us, and you know how much the guys love you.” Rin shrugged, only closing her eyes as she felt her body relax into his, wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Well yeah, but you know that I don’t like parties with so many people I don’t know.” She could feel his chin dig a little harder into the top of her head when he inadvertently broke into a sheepish smile. He said nothing -- only tightened his arms around her, rocking them side to side slowly. She never knew how he did that: they were in a party (a very loud party) with many people from Jungkook’s company dancing and playing games and such, but he still made her feel like they were in a separate little bubble somewhere.

“Gross, guys,” she heard faintly in the background before being captured from the side and pulled away from Jungkook. Her boyfriend, who was now feeling rather cold without his girlfriend hugging him, shot his friend a dry glare.

“Jimin, I was hugging her, you know.” (This is what Rin meant; he was never that cool around her.)

Jimin smiled at Jungkook, his newly dyed black hair falling into his eyes. “I know, but she likes me better, right, Rin?” he said, staring up at the girl with big dark brown eyes.

She broke into a laugh and ruffled his hair. “How are you older than me, you big fluffball.” Jimin glared at her, but nevertheless kept his hold on her, deciding that annoying his friend was more important than keeping his pride. He’d avenge himself later.

Iseul walked up to the trio, rolling her eyes at her own boyfriend’s antics before placing a hand on his shoulder. “Sweetie, shouldn’t you let go of Rin?” she asked. “Jungkook looks like he’s on his man period with that face.”

“Nope,” he said, popping the “p” sound at the end before quickly pecking her on the lips. Rin, who was still being held hostage, tried to struggle away from the couple.

“Get a room, guys,” she teased.

“Oh calm down, Rin,” Iseul said, playfully poking her best friend on her forehead. “Just because you guys don’t kiss in front of people doesn’t mean that we don’t.” Rin made a strange snorting sound and head butted Iseul’s hand away. Just then, Jungkook had an epiphany. In a lunge of gracefulness only he could manage, he snagged Iseul around her shoulders, pulling him into his side before smiling widely at Jimin, who was now speechless. Iseul, who was (needless to say) incredibly confused, registered the new location she was, well, practically deported to before sharing a knowing glance with Rin.

Jimin pouted at Jungkook before releasing Rin dejectedly. “Fine, here you go.” He gently pushed Rin towards the younger boy and turned to his own girlfriend, resting his elbow on her shoulder.

“You two are ridiculous,” Isuel commented.

Rin murmured her agreement from behind the wall that was Jungkook. “Guys,” he said, “what can we do to get Rin to actually be present at this party?”

Iseul smirked dangerously. “Alcohol?”

Jungkook glared at the girl. “Ise--,” he began exasperatedly.

“Do they have beer?” Rin asked innocently, cutting him off.

Jungkook pulled away from her quickly, holding her shoulders firmly in his hands. “No, Rin. You know how you are when you get drunk.” For further emphasis, he moved to his left, deliberately cutting off her view of the beer-pong table.

She smiled mischievously and said, “You’re just scared to lose to me in beer pong again. And I won’t get drunk on beer.” Jimin and Iseul really had to hand it to her -- the girl knew how to accomplish what she wanted. Rin glanced at them out of the corner of her eye, and her smirk grew by a fraction.

    Her boyfriend narrowed his eyes dangerously at her. “First of all, you totally do get drunk on beer. Second of all, you did not win,” he said lowly, “I let you.” Jungkook was rather competitive, you see.

    “Care to find out?”

xXxXxXx

    “GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!” the crowd cheered as Rin and Jungkook each drank another red solo cup. It was extremely tense; the two had been tied up until now, and it was this cup--the last cup--that decided who was really the winner. Jungkook set his cup down on the table first, preparing to flip it. Success was coming soon -- He could feel it. He could practically taste it, in fact. (Or maybe it was just the beer.) He put his finger under the rim’s edge, taking a deep breath and focusing. ‘Okay, Jungkook,’ he thought to himself, ‘see the cup. Feel the cup. Be the cup.’

Seeing him about to flip, Rin drank faster, slamming her own cup on the edge of the table once she had finished. Everyone held their breath as he flicked his hand upwards, catapulting the cup to Rin’s side of the table. It rattled on the table once, twice, three times -- only to rattle straight off of the table and fall on the ground. The crowd gasped in surprise and Jungkook, his eyes wide, scrambled down on his hands and knees to look under the table and retrieve the solo cup. As he looked around fruitlessly for the red cup (honestly, how hard was it to find a bright red cup?), he saw Rin’s feet leave the ground and her elated yell. Well then. Looks like he just lost (again). Sighing, he rolled out from under the table and stood up, confirming her victory by scanning over her five turned over cups and his four. Something slammed into is side and he stumbled, only barely managing to stay upright. Rin.

    Making sure to steady her first, he bent down and looked in her eyes. ‘I knew it,’ he thought to himself. Her eyes were unfocused, she kept smiling idiotically (although it was kind of adorable, he had to say), and she was swaying a little bit from side to side. Evidently, Rin had a very low alcohol tolerance; a couple beers wouldn’t normally have a huge impact on anyone else, maybe make them a bit tipsy. Rin was flat out drunk. Luckily for her, Jungkook knew exactly how to handle an intoxicated Rin (and he also had an abnormally high alcohol tolerance).

    “Okay, guys,” he announced to the crowd, a mixture of sober and drunk coworkers. “I’m going to take her home.” Everyone let out a sigh of disappointment -- They truly did like her.

    “But whyyyy? We like her better than you!” Taehyung said pouting. Jungkook made a face before playfully punching his friend on the arm.

    Jungkook turned Rin around and, with his right arm securely around her waist and his left hand holding her left hand, led her out of the apartment. Rin gladly leaned into him. A little too much, in fact. When she was drunk, she was quite clingy, and Jungkook had to work very hard to keep her from just collapsing onto him. She babbled nonsensically the whole way down the elevator and out to the taxi waiting for them. “Hey, Jungkook,” she said. “You know what I want?”

    “What, Rin?”

    “I want a boyfriend.”

    “That’s nice.”

    “Do you want a boyfriend?”

    He chuckled, opening the taxi door. Drunk Rin always made him crack up -- she was a lot looser and more childish when drunk. “No, not particularly.”She threw her hands up in frustration.

“But whyyyyyyyy? If you wanted a boyfriend then we could be together.”

“Rin, you’re a girl.”

“And you’re a boy.”

“You can’t be my boyfriend.”

“Don’t tell me what to do,” she replied haughtily. They had already reached their apartment building by now, and Jungkook payed the driver quickly and ushered Rin out of the car. Not before catching the humorous grin that the driver wore proudly on his face, though.

“Come on, Rin, into the elevator,” he said.

“If you’re not my boyfriend then you can’t make me go into the elevator,” she protested, stopping in her tracks. Jungkook sighed, sliding an arm around her knees and another one around her back to pick her up and physically move her into the elevator. “See,” she said, leaning her head against his shoulder, “this is what boyfriends would do for me. Stop it. Why can’t you want a boyfriend? Then you could be my boyfriend.”

The elevator dinged.

“Rin, you aren’t making any sense,” Jungkook said patiently. “Let’s get you to bed.”

“But noooooo,” she said, still complaining about how much Jungkook “didn’t want a boyfriend.”

“No, you can’t--” He started.

“Fight me, Jungkook”

“I’m not going to fight you.”

“What, scared you’ll lose? To a girl?

“...Why I like you will forever be a mystery.”

    (Jungkook was okay with that, though.)

 


 

AN: Hi everyone!

So WOAH first chapter up!!! What do you guys think? I think I like it so far. I’m excited -- I really like Rin and Jungkook as characters. I’m working super super super hard to finish “Grey” and write more on these two :)   I have a break coming up, so I’ll be able to pre-write more and thus update more frequently. These past two months have literally been so incredibly busy. (@school WHY). Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this first chapter and anticipate the rest of this sequel! Please subscribe + comment ~ feedback is always welcomed.

 

--aperfectworld