Need

Need

With a huge dance competition looming over her head, Lee Haru is desperate to find a place to work on the choreography for a completely original dance that she hopes will win her the competition. The prize for first place is $100,000 US Dollars, and a three-day, two-night trip to Busan. The best dancers in Seoul and the surrounding cities will be competing.

Dancing has been Haru’s passion since she was a child. Now, in her twenties, she dances every day when she’s not in one of the three classes she’s taking or studying. Still, she’s afraid that she’s not good enough to take first place. Something is missing from her routines, and from the way she dances. She has been influenced by the people that normally surround her when she’s practicing. She needs seclusion.

After her last class of the day, she heads to the performing arts building. She walks past the dance practice rooms that she has used in the past. They are filled with other students, all practicing for the competition. She passes classrooms, and art studios as she makes her way to the basement.

The basement is used for storage, but she has heard that there is also an abandoned practice room down there. She has no idea why it’s abandoned, but abandoned means that no one else will be there to influence her, distract her, or steal her routines.

Despite being summer, the basement is dark, moist, and chilly. Haru shivers as she descends the staircase. She has never been in the basement before, but she knows that the practice room is at the end of the hallway.

Haru has always wondered why no one uses the basement practice room. Maybe it’s because the corridor is dimly lit, chilly, and smells faintly of mold. Maybe it’s because people seem to think that every basement is haunted by some evil spirit.

Or, Haru thinks when she tugs open the door to the abandoned room, it’s because the room is a mess, and one of the wall mirrors is cracked and shattered fragments litter the floor. That’s safe.

Haru heaves a sigh, and considers walking back up to the crowded practice rooms with the other hopeful dancers. Her hand is on the doorknob when something tugs at her mind, bringing her back.

“I can do this,” she mutters, hooking the dangling strap of her backpack over her shoulder, so that the bag is securely on her back as she flips the light switch.

The room is even worse when fully lit. The dim light coming through from the hallway was only enough to illuminate the dusty mirror shards. Now, she can see the full horror of the room. The floor is covered in an inch of dirt and dust. The two and a half mirrors that remain are smudged and covered with their own veil of dust. She can only imagine what the adjoining bathroom and showers must look like.

She backs out of the room, and doubles back down the hallway to the storage closet that she saw. No one ever comes down to the basement, save janitorial staff, so the door is unlocked. She helps herself to a broom, and jogs back to the practice room. She has quite an arduous day of cleaning ahead of her.

It’s an hour past dinner time by the time she has the dust swept up from the floor in the practice room and wash room (which wasn’t as disgusting as she had imagined it would be), and the shards of broken mirror carried to the trash bin in the corner of the room.

She wipes the back of her arm over her forehead, swiping away the droplets of sweat that have collected there and leaving a grimy trail of dirt. Groaning, she reaches for her water bottle, takes a swig, and deposits it back into the side pocket of her backpack. She grabs her phone from her back pocket to check her messages.

As expected, she has ten missed text messages. She was supposed to meet her best friend for dinner.

Kihyun:
Uh, where are you?
I’m at the restaurant.
Okay, I’ve been here ten minutes.
You’re never late.
I’m annoyed…
Okay, it’s been twenty minutes.
Now I’m worried.
Call me!
I’m calling you.
No answer. WHERE ARE YOU?!

Haru checks her call log, and finds five missed calls from Kihyun. Her phone was in her back pocket the whole time, but she never felt it vibrate. Odd. Maybe the service in the basement is too spotty for calls.

She attempts to call him, and her phone confirms her suspicions. She slides it back into her pocket, shuts out the light, returns the broom to the closet, and jogs up out of the basement. After making a stop in the ladies’ room to clean her face, she calls Kihyun.

“Where ARE YOU?! I thought you were DEAD!”

“I’m sorry, Ki! I got busy, lost track of time!”

“Busy doing what?! An experiment to see if a healthy twenty-two-year-old man can suffer a fatal heart attack? I’m here to tell you that it might just be possible.”

Haru laughs despite the urgency in Kihyun’s voice. “I’m really sorry, Kihyun. If you knew what I’ve been doing for the last two hours, you wouldn’t be so upset with me.”

“Were you buying me a new car, a house? Were you buying me thirteen puppies? If you weren’t doing any of those things, then I am still upset with you.”

Haru laughs again.

“Stop laughing at me, Haru!”

“Stop being funny then!”

“I’m not trying to be funny! I sat at the restaurant for thirty minutes trying to call you. I even called your mother. That was fun.”

“Oh, Ki. Why would you call my mother? She’d be the last person to know where I was.”

“I thought if you were dead, she’d probably be the first to know.”

“You’re the first person listed in my emergency contacts on my phone, Kihyun. If I was dead, you would be the first to know.”

“Oh, no. Take me out of there. I don’t want to be the first to know. My heart couldn’t take it.”

“Too bad. You’re the person that I’m closest too. My dad is dead. My mother is a flake. I have no other option.”

“Your brother? Your cousin! The nice one that lives in Daegu.”

“My brother lives in Hong Kong, and Daegu is pretty far away too. You want me lie somewhere practically dead and wait for them when you could come to me?”

Kihyun grunts. “Whatever. This isn’t the point. Where are you? What are you doing?”

“I’m walking to my car. I’m still at school.”

“Why? Your class ended like two hours ago.”

“I found a new practice room.”

“Where?”

“The basement.”

“You’re practicing in the basement! I heard there is like a goblin that lives down there.”

“I’m sorry, but did you just hear yourself?”

Kihyun sits in silent shame.

“Good. You did then. There’s no goblin, just eighty feet of dust and broken mirror. It’s dreadful. It took me two hours just to collect all the glass safely, and sweep up the dirt and dust. Even without the actual dust, the floor still looks gross. I’m going to mop it tomorrow.”

“Haru, do you think it’s really worth it?”

“If I can focus enough to win this competition, yes it’s worth it.”

“Hmm…”

Haru feels bad for Kihyun every time she mentions the competition. He’s a beautiful dancer, but he suffered a knee injury a few months back that prohibits him from participating.

“You know I’m going to take you to Busan with me, right?” she says, unlocking her car remotely when she is about twenty feet away.

“You better. If I have to be the one who identifies your body one day, I deserve a vacation.”

“Oh, shush. Where are you?” Haru climbs into the car, and turns the key. She lets the air conditioning run for a moment. Even in late evening, it’s hot, or maybe it’s because she got overheated working in the practice room.

“At my apartment. Someone stood me up for dinner, so I came home.”

“What if someone buys ramen and brings it over?”

“Someone would get closer to forgiveness if they brought chicken.”

Haru laughs. “I’ll be right over.”

 

Kihyun chomps on a piece of fried chicken glazed with a sweet and spicy sauce and covered in sesame seeds. “So, you’re basically doing the janitorial staff’s job by cleaning this whole room? Why don’t you just tell someone?”

“I don’t mind doing the work if it means getting to use the room. I’m afraid that if I tell someone, others will catch on and want to use the room.”

“I don’t think anyone is going to go down there. It’s disgusting. I had to go down there once to get paint thinner for my art class. It stinks like mold and it’s freezing!”

“Yeah, it is pretty cold, but that was nice today, because I worked up a sweat.”

“I bet you did. Do you want some help? What time are you going down there tomorrow?”

“Right after my afternoon class, so around three. Won’t you be at work?”

Kihyun grimaces. “Yeah, I’ll be at work until six. Do you want to meet me at work and we’ll have dinner or see a movie?”

“Yeah. I’ll be sure to set an alarm on my phone, so I know when it’s time to quit.”

 

Haru jogs down the steps into the basement that is easily ten degrees cooler than the upstairs hallway. She wore a sweater to combat the temperature change today, but she still shivers. With the sweeping done yesterday, she grabs a mop, fills the rolling bucket with water from the spout in the janitor’s closet, squirts in some soap she found on the shelf, and rolls the bucket in front of her down the hallway.

The room smells musty, but some of the dirty smell is gone now that the dust has been swept away. The trash can is still full, however, so she takes a moment to walk it to the larger can in the hallway. The glass shards poke through the bag, and she worries for a moment about safety. She finds an empty paper towel box in the janitor’s closet, and seals the bag inside it before depositing it into the large bin which appears to be as abandoned as the practice room. Her dusty mirror box is liable to sit there for a year before anyone notices.

An hour passes before the floor is as sparkling clean as she would like it to be. The water in the mop bucket had to be changed three times, and it is black as tar when she dumps it down one of the toilets in the bathroom.

She has about an hour before she should leave to get ready for dinner with Kihyun. She decides to tackle the most difficult and disgusting task: cleaning the toilets and shower. For this, she brought her own supplies as she saw none that would do the job in the closet.

She finishes with fifteen minutes to spare, and washes the sinks and bathroom mirrors in that time. Technically, she doesn’t need all three sinks and mirrors cleaned, but why leave them dirty when she’s already done so much?

Her alarm starts shrieking just as she tosses her supplies in the trash bin. She washes her hands quickly, races out to silence her phone, and leaves in a rush to go home for a much-needed shower.

 

“Hey, you’re here!” Kihyun says, holding his arms up in the air when Haru walks through the door of the bookstore where Kihyun works part-time.

“Are you ever going to let me live down standing you up last night?”

“After about a week or so of reminding you how I waited for thirty minutes and worried myself sick.”

Haru shakes her head. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yep. Just clocked out. I’m a free man.”

“Well, come on, Free Man. I’m hungry.”

Kihyun follows her out the door. “I was hungry last night too while I waited thirty minutes worried sick about you.”

“I think that’s enough.”

“Oh, no. You’ve got a week of this coming, lady.”

 

“Italian was a great choice,” Kihyun says, finishing off the last of his lasagna.

Haru chuckles. “It really was.” Haru opted for something less messy – cheese ravioli – and has already finished it. “I know that you mentioned seeing a movie, but I think I’m too tired for anything else.”

Kihyun frowns while she’s looking down at her plate. When she looks back up at him, he puts on a smile for her. “That’s okay. Maybe this weekend. You dancing tomorrow?”

“I hope so. I only have to clean the mirrors, and I’m good to go.”

“I have to work again tomorrow. If I didn’t, I would stop by and see you.”

“That’s okay. I’d rather be alone for a while anyway.”

 

Haru does a thorough, but quick job of wiping down the wall mirrors. She is careful not to cut herself when it comes to the jagged piece. The wall behind the missing piece is dirty and spotted with some sort of adhesive used to hold up the mirror. She tacks up a beautiful mandala silk tapestry that Kihyun bought for her last Christmas to cover it.

She also brought along one of Kihyun’s birthday gifts – a diffuser filled with a lovely tropical scented oil. Having turned it on before she started cleaning the mirrors, the room smells infinitely better than it did when she arrived. Her iPhone is on its docking station in the corner, and she is ready to dance.

However, when she looks in the mirror, something stops her. She feels the weight of the competition on her shoulders. She can’t even think of her original dance. She shakes the anxiety away, and walks toward her phone.

She accesses her music, and chooses one of her favorite songs – “Blood, Sweat, and Tears” by BTS. She memorized the choreography after seeing them perform it just three times.

As soon as the music fills the room around her, she feels energized. She bounces on the balls of her feet a few times, checks that her hair is secure in the braided bun at the back of her head, and starts the dance. She had already stretched before she even considered starting the music.

When BTS gives way to the newest effort from Seventeen’s hip hop group, “Check In,” Haru is feeling jazzed. She is so in the zone. She hasn’t seen any sort of choreography for the quartet’s song, but she’s made up her own. It’s fun and funky, and it makes her happy. The song makes her happy. Bias Vernon’s pride when he mentions New York City makes a grin spread over her face.

She is almost ready to tackle her own music, her own dance moves.

Then, something in the corner of the room behind her catches her eye in the mirror. She shrieks, and turns quickly. A man is standing in the corner of the room, near the door.

He shrieks when she does, and puts his hands up. “I didn’t want to scare you!” he tells her.

Despite his not wishing to scare her, Haru’s heart hammers in her chest, and her body is covered in goosebumps and a sheen of cold sweat. “I…” She laughs a borderline hysterical laugh. “Uh, no. I wouldn’t think that you wanted to scare me, but…” She swipes the back of her hand over her brow. “I… I didn’t hear you come in. I was in the zone, you know? I was so focused.” Rambling is Haru’s way of attempting to calm her racing heart.

The man smiles, and Haru’s heart skips a beat. His face is adorable when he smiles. Chubby chipmunk cheeks rise to almost close his eyes which have these cute little wrinkled wings that appear at the corners.

Suddenly, the cold sweat is gone, and she feels too warm. Her cheeks are blushed.

“I’m sorry that I startled you. I saw the light… at the end of the hallway.”

Haru walks to her phone to silence the music. “Oh, yeah, uh… Do you practice in here?” She was sure that this was her little secret. She should have brought in something to cover the small window in the door.

He shakes his head, and looks around the room for a few moments before he replies. “I haven’t practiced in here in a long time.”

“Ah, yeah… I guess no one has.”

He shakes his head again. “You cleaned up in here.”

“Yeah, it took me days, but it’s really clean. The bathroom and shower room too.” She points to the doorway that leads to the bathroom.

He glances that way, but doesn’t move from his current spot. “It looks really nice.” He looks back at her, staring at her with deep brown eyes. “Why did you decide to come down here? There are plenty of rooms upstairs.”

Haru feels unease creeping in. Is he going to tell someone that she’s been using this room? “Um, I wanted some privacy to practice for the competition. Are you a dancer? Are you competing?”

“No. I am a dancer, but I don’t compete anymore. I haven’t competed in years.”

That’s a relief. “Look, I know that I’m probably not supposed to be down here, but I didn’t think anyone ever came down here, so… Well, please don’t tell anyone. I really need the space, and I worked really hard to clean it. You won’t, like, tell the dean or something, will you?”

A smile spreads over his face again. He looks precious. “I won’t tell the dean anything.”

The smile, the sincerity in his voice, something puts Haru at ease. Her tense shoulders relax and she walks toward him a little. “My name is Haru,” she tells him, stopping to bow.

“Hyunwoo,” he says, bowing back to her. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too.” She walks a little closer. The man is more attractive the closer she gets. His skin is perfect, almost glowing like sunlight glinting on fresh honey. “How long have you been dancing?”

He laughs, and the smiley eye wings return. Haru stares at him. “Forever,” he says.

Haru laughs as well. “Me too. I’ve been dancing since I was a little kid. I used to dance all over the house as a toddler. Nothing could stop me. I probably drove my parents crazy.”

Hyunwoo smiles silently for a while, and then his smile falls into a frown. “My love of dancing disappointed my parents. My father always wanted me to do something with my life. I was nine years old when he first told me that education and a career were the most important things in this world.”

That’s a little intense… Haru’s father always told her that love, faith, and happiness were the most important things in life. Haru never understood how he could still believe that after a life married to her mother who had always been a harsh, flighty woman, to say the least. When he died when Haru was still in high school, she forgot about his high regard for love and focused on school and dance which did cover the happiness part of his teachings.

“My father passed away when I was in high school, but he always loved to watch me dance.”

Hyunwoo’s eyes darken a little, and he offers her an apology. “Is that why you do it? For him?”

“Hmm… Somewhat, probably. I do it, because it makes me happy, but one of the reasons that it makes me happy is because I remember how happy he was watching me.” Haru wonders why she’s opening up to this random guy that she’s never laid eyes on. It’s slightly unsettling how comfortable she feels talking to him.

“You were dancing very well,” he tells her. “I’m sure he would be proud.”

Haru nods. “Thank you for saying so.” She offers him a little bow. “I should get back to it. You’re welcome to share the room, if you like.”

“Oh, no… But do you mind if I watch you?”

“If you’re going to watch me, I want to see you dance as well. It’s only fair.”

Hyunwoo laughs. “I guess you’re right, but I’m not really dressed for it.”

“I’ve danced in jeans and a tee before,” she says with a laugh. She is en route to her phone to put on a new song. “Do you know BTS?” she asks him.

“Hmm… No,” he says. “Do you know TVXQ?”

“I do.”

“I like to dance to Mirotic.”

Haru blushes. That’s a y dance. “That’s an oldie,” she says as she searches her playlist to find it.

“A classic,” he amends to which she chuckles.

When she puts it on, she watches him. She can see the way the music influences him. His whole body seems to loosen up. It takes thirty seconds for him to get going, but when he does, Haru’s mouth falls open. His movements are fluid, and graceful. His concentration is visible on his face. Whether he’s counting steps in his head or considering each step before it comes, she doesn’t know, but she can see his mind at work. It’s a thing of beauty.

She wants to join him, but doesn’t dare risk interrupting.

When the song comes to an end, her jaw is on the floor. He turns to her and laughs, his chipmunk cheeks blushing. “What is that look?” he asks, suddenly awkward and fidgeting.

“I…” Haru clears when her voice comes out strained and hoarse. “You were… amazing. I’ve never seen someone dance with such focus and still be so fluid and graceful. Why don’t you compete? Never mind. Don’t compete. I could never win with you in the competition.”

Hyunwoo is all blushed chipmunk cheeks, and eye wings. “You’re a great dancer.”

“Not hardly compared to you! Teach me the ways of your graceful dance, sempai!”

Hyunwoo covers his red face with both hands, and laughs loudly. “I can show you some moves, if you really want me to,” he says, lowering his hands.

“Seriously? I mean, no. Surely you have things to do. Surely, you’re busy, or have like a thousand friends clamoring for your attention. Or a girlfriend…”

Haru blushes, instantly embarrassed. Did she really just not-so-slyly ask if he had a girlfriend.

What is wrong with me?

Hyunwoo doesn’t seem to notice anything awkward about her inquiry. “No. I’m awkward socially. I don’t usually talk to people, so I don’t have friends or a girlfriend.”

Haru frowns. Now, she feels awkward and rude. She apologizes. “I don’t have many friends either, to be honest. Just one best friend, and a couple of sort-of friends.”

“I have never been good at the talking part, you know? People don’t like that. They want to be friends with someone who can hold a good conversation. I get awkward and don’t know what to say.”

“You’re doing okay right now,” she says encouragingly.

Hyunwoo smiles. The eye wings are back. “I can’t explain why I feel comfortable talking to you.”

“I feel the same way. I don’t usually talk to random strangers in basement practice rooms, but here we are.”

Hyunwoo laughs. “Thank you for talking to me.”

“No problem,” she says with a chuckle. “But enough talk. I’m ready to dance. Do you want to see the choreography that I’ve been working on?”

“You are choreographing your own dance? You didn’t hire a choreographer?”

“No. Should I have?” Haru’s eyes are wide, fear clawing at the back of her neck. How could she be so stupid to think that everyone was designing their own dance?

“No. I don’t think so. Most choreographers have certain moves that they’re comfortable with, that they’re used to, and they reuse them all the time. That’s stale. You want something fresh.”

Haru frowns. “I don’t know if I’ve come up with something fresh,” she says with a pout.

“Show me your dance. What song are you using? BTS?”

“Oh, no. My music doesn’t have lyrics. It’s just music that I composed. Is that bad? Should I have gone with a song that everyone knows?”

He shakes his head. “If everyone knows the song, everyone knows the choreography.”

Haru laughs slightly hysterically. “Why are you testing me?! Are you trying to scare me to death, so that none of this matters anyway?”

Hyunwoo darkens a little. In a serious tone, he says, “No. I’m not trying to scare you to death.”

“Okay… I was joking.”

“I was only trying to get an idea of what you’re doing. I didn’t mean to influence you one way or the other. Most people do things this way. Choreographer. Popular song. They think that is the way to winning.”

“Have you won a lot of competitions?”

Hyunwoo shakes his head. “I don’t compete. I was going to once, but it didn’t work out. I’ve seen a lot of competitions though. The original work always wins out over the recycled routines and catching chart-toppers.”

Haru crosses her arms over her chest. “Are you a coach? Did Kihyun send you here? I know that he’s concerned about me being here alone, and working too hard, but I don’t need a coach. I can’t afford to pay a coach.”

Hyunwoo’s brow creases. “Who is Kihyun? Your boyfriend?”

“Um, no. He’s my best friend. He didn’t send you here?”

Shaking his head, Hyunwoo says, “I’m not a coach, and I don’t know anyone named Kihyun.”

“Oh, okay. Good. You just started sounding a little coach-y.”

Hyunwoo smiles, but apologizes. “I can stop giving advice.”

“No, no. It’s great advice. But I can’t pay you for it. I’m a college student, you know? And I’ve got a best friend who constantly wants to have dinner out. That’s where all of my extra money goes.” She laughs to let him know that she’s kidding around. She doesn’t really think that he wants payment for his advice.

“I wouldn’t ask for payment. I just like to watch you dance.”

Haru blushes. “Were you here the whole time then?”

“Almost.”

“Wow. I really was too focused.”

“No such thing as ‘too focused.’”

 

“You just met some random guy in the basement. Isn’t that kind of creepy? What if he’s a psycho killer or something?”

Haru stares across the dim sum between them. Her eyes are slightly narrowed, lips pursed. “Kihyun, do you ever listen to the words that come out of your mouth?”

“Seriously! Why was he lurking around in the basement?!”

“He wasn’t ‘lurking.’ He probably came down for the same reason that you once did – paint thinner. Or paper towels or some other janitorial need. Then, he noticed the light, so he came back. I don’t know. I didn’t interrogate him, because was obviously NOT a psycho killer.”

“How do you know? Psychos look just like regular people.”

“Well, do psychos look like chipmunk fluffball bunnies? Because that’s what he looks like when he smiles. A cinnamon roll bunny chipmunk. He’s adorable. Kind of hot and adorable. A hot-adorable hybrid thing.”

“Okay, okay.” Kihyun waves his hands in front of him. “Stop, please. I’m going to puke up the dim sum.”

“What? You should see him. Maybe you’d like him even.”

“How many times do we have to cover the ‘I’m not gay’ thing?”

Haru shrugs her shoulders. “I’m not saying that you’re gay. I have never said that you were gay. I have just always wondered if maybe you like guys.”

“Well, I don’t.”

“Well, you’ve never had a girlfriend. Ever.”

“Well, that doesn’t mean I’m gay!”

Haru puts her hands up in front of her. “Okay, okay. It doesn’t matter. The guy is not a psycho, and I’m going to keep seeing him.”

“What do you mean ‘seeing him’? You’re going to date weirdo basement guy?”

“Kihyun! He’s not a weirdo!” Haru glares at him, and takes a bite of her food. “And I’m not dating him. I just met him.”

“Are you going to date him?”

“I don’t know!”

Kihyun crosses his arms over his chest. “Well, when he knifes you to death, don’t come crying to me about it.”

“I’m pretty sure that I couldn’t come crying to you if I was dead, dummy! Dead people can’t talk!”

 

“Hey! I wondered if you would show up today!”

Hyunwoo greets Haru when she runs into the practice room twenty minutes later than she told him she would yesterday.

“Yeah, yes! Sorry! I had to give my friend a lift to work. He called to say that his car had a flat, and he doesn’t have a spare. He’s not very car savvy.”

Hyunwoo laughs. “Cars aren’t my thing either.”

“I can’t say that they’re really mine either, to be honest. I just drive one. That’s about the extent of it. And sometimes, I wish I didn’t even do that. Traffic is a killer sometimes.”

“Why don’t you take public transportation?”

“Crowds. I mean, I could take a cab, but that gets expensive. And I hate the crowds on the bus or tube.”

“Is that like a fear?” Hyunwoo asks as he watches Haru drop her backpack on the floor, and plug in her diffuser.

“I guess so. It just weirds me out being around that many people. Plus, my best friend, Kihyun, is always going on about psychos everywhere. He is convinced that everyone is a psychopath just waiting to kill us all.”

Hyunwoo laughs. “He sounds a little high strung.”

“Well, he’s not really. He’s just weird about strange people. At least when I meet them. Like, I told him that I met you, and he went on this rant about you being a psycho. Don’t take it personally, honestly. He does this all the time.”

“Maybe he’s just protective of you?”

“He is, for some reason.” Haru laughs and shrugs her shoulders as she starts to stretch. “Maybe because we’ve been friends since we were kids.”

“That long, huh?”

“Yeah. We met our first day of school, and stayed friends since. He’s the only friend I’ve had that long. My other friends I’ve barely known for a year or two.”

“Sounds like you’re lucky to have him,” Hyunwoo says. He smiles when he says it, but there’s a sadness in his voice.

Haru knows that the sadness must stem from his own lack of friendship. She can understand social anxiety. She suffered it when she was younger, and still struggles from time to time.

“You know, if you’d like you can join Kihyun and I for dinner some time. We go out almost every night, or sometimes we just stay in at one of our apartments. He would probably love to meet you, if for no other reason than to verify that you’re not a psycho.” Haru laughs, but she can see the pain on Hyunwoo’s face. She knows that he will refuse her offer.

“I, thank you, but I couldn’t.” Hyunwoo stares at the floor, and picks at the hem of his t-shirt. “I’m just too awkward.”

Haru frowns. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too. It’s such a nice offer, but I just couldn’t.”

“Maybe someday,” she says hopefully.

He nods, but she can tell that he’s not as hopeful as she is.

They dance together after that. He shows her a few new moves – quick foot work that she can’t quite get. His feet move so much faster than hers. His legs are like elastic. She tells him this, and he laughs. She is starting to adore his laughter.

 

Two weeks pass and Hyunwoo and Haru have met in the practice room every day after her last class. Sometimes this is right after lunch. Sometimes it is later, but Hyunwoo is always there, waiting for her. He teases her for being late even though she’s right on time, and he’s early. She lets him get away with it though. Seeing him laugh and smile, being playful, makes her happy on some level that she doesn’t quite comprehend.

Kihyun doesn’t comprehend it either. He attempts to drop in on them, but something always gets in the way. Class, work, car trouble. He’s had a lot of that over the two-week stretch, and it scares him. He can’t afford a new car, or even a rental if his needs an extended stay at the shop.

“What do you mean you’re going to the studio? It’s Sunday.”

Haru has Kihyun on speaker phone while she gets ready to leave.

“Yeah, I know, but I want to get some extra time in. I’m hoping to run into Hyunwoo on campus too.”

“Don’t you have his number?”

“No. I haven’t given him my number, because my best friend keeps telling me that he might be a psycho despite the fact that he has shown no interest in murdering me over the past two weeks.”

Kihyun feels relieved that she hasn’t exchanged numbers with this strange dancer guy.

“Maybe I’ll get his number tonight if I see him.”

“Maybe he’ll use it to find where you live, and kill you in your sleep.”

Haru laughs loudly. “I think you might be the psycho here, Ki. Get back to work. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Are we on for dinner?”

“Of course!”

 

Haru walks slowly across campus, glancing around to see if she spots Hyunwoo anywhere. It’s foolish, she knows. What are the odds that he would be just lingering around campus on a Sunday afternoon? Still, she’s hopeful.

She sees no one bearing even the slightest resemblance to her dancing partner before entering the vacant performing arts building. There are never any classes on Sunday, not even during the summer. When she passes the normal practice rooms, she sees that no one is as obsessive as she is about practice. They are dark and empty.

She ignores the creepy feeling of being alone in school, and rushes down to what has become her tropical-scented sanctuary. As soon as she enters the dim hallway, she sees a strip of light at the end of the corridor. She brought a piece of black presentation board to cover the window in the door, but she can still see the light under it.

Hyunwoo must be there!

She sprints down the hallway, and jerks open the door.

Hyunwoo is lying flat on his back in the middle of the floor, staring at the ceiling.

“You’re here!” she says.

He sits up, and looks back at her. “What are you doing here? It’s Sunday, isn’t it?”

Haru laughs. “Yes. You haven’t lost your mind. It is Sunday. I’m obsessing over this dance, you know? I want to get every available hour that I can!”

Hyunwoo laughs. “I think I’m a little obsessed with your dance too. I was going over it before you came in.”

“You look like you were taking a nap before I came in.” Haru is now standing over him, staring down at his face.

He smiles that chipmunk smile that she has come to adore. “No napping for me.”

“Mmhmm… Well, since you’re here I want to show this new thing that I added. I may have been a little inspired by BTS, but I swear I did not steal the moves from them.”

Hyunwoo laughs, and pulls himself up from the floor. “You really love those guys, don’t you?”

“I am the biggest ARMY.”

“What does that mean?”

She laughs. “ARMY is their fandom.”

Hyunwoo’s nose wrinkles when he laughs again. “That’s an interesting name to call your fans.”

“Well, who wouldn’t like an army of supporters fighting for them, right?”

“Do you really have to fight though?”

It’s Haru’s turn to laugh. “There’s no literal fighting involved. Well, usually. Some ARMYs do fight, I suppose, but that happens in any fandom, probably.”

“You can’t get physically hurt, can’t you?”

Haru laughs again. “You sound like Kihyun! I don’t need two friends fretting over me. Stop, stop!” She swats at him playfully.

Hyunwoo stares at her for a few moments. His eyes seem full of wonder, and his mouth is a straight line.

“What?” she asks bashfully.

“Are we friends?”

“Well, I think so. Don’t you?”

He shrugs his shoulders. “I don’t know. I guess I haven’t really had a friend in a while.”

Haru frowns. She feels suddenly overwhelmed with sadness. She cannot even begin to imagine her life without Kihyun in it. How does Hyunwoo go through life in solitude?

“Well, you’ve got one now,” she tells him as she reaches out to pat his arm gently.

 

Four hours pass before Haru realizes what time it is. “Oh, no!” she groans. “I’m late. I was supposed to leave thirty minutes ago. Kihyun is going to be so mad at me.”

“I’m sure he won’t be mad at you,” Hyunwoo assures her.

“He will be. He hates when I stand him up. He’s probably sitting at the restaurant, staring at the time on his phone.” Haru runs to her bag to grab her phone.

There are several texts from Kihyun, but the highlight is: I’m not waiting anymore. I’m on my way over to the practice room.

That was sent ten minutes before. He might already be on campus.

She starts to call him when she hears her name being called in the hallway. A moment later, the door opens.

Kihyun looks frustrated, to say the least. “I knew you’d be here still. I thought you’d be with Creepy Basement Guy though.”

“Huh?” Haru turns around to find that Hyunwoo has disappeared. She frowns, and glances toward the bathroom entrance, knowing that he must be in there.

“I was,” she tells Kihyun. “You scared him off.”

“I scared off the psycho that lurks in the basement?”

“He’s not a psycho, Kihyun. Stop it, okay? He’s just socially awkward. He has anxiety. He’s in the wash room. Can you just go? I’ll be right behind you.”

“No. Tell him to come out. I want to meet him. I want to see this guy that you spend more time with than me.”

“Kihyun…”

When Kihyun starts to walk toward the wash room, Haru jerks him back. “I’ll go ask him if he would mind meeting you. If he isn’t comfortable, I’m not forcing him, and we’re leaving. Got it?”

Kihyun crosses his arms over his chest, but agrees to her terms. He can tell that she is serious about this, and when Haru feels strongly about something, there’s no point in arguing with her.

Haru leaves him only when she’s sure that he won’t follow her. When she steps into the bathroom, she notices Hyunwoo standing right inside the door. “I’m sorry,” she says to him.

“It’s okay. I’m sorry for being so weird.”

She shakes her head. “You’re not weird. Don’t worry about it. I guess you heard what Kihyun said.”

“I heard everything,” he whispers. “But it’s okay. He has good reason to be suspicious of me.”

“Don’t say that any louder, please,” she says with a chuckle. “I don’t suppose you would be comfortable just coming out and saying hello, so he’ll shush his face about it…”

Hyunwoo shakes his head quickly. “It wouldn’t help. I saw the kind of guy he is. He wouldn’t even see me.”

“Oh, no. Kihyun isn’t that kind of guy. I mean, he’s handsome, and everything, but he’s not the kind of guy who thinks that people are beneath him or invisible if they’re not on his level. Not that you’re not on his level. I’m sorry. I’m making things worse, aren’t I?”

Hyunwoo smiles like a sweet chipmunk, and assures her that she isn’t making things worse. “I’m sorry, Haru. I just don’t want to come out.”

“Don’t be sorry. I’ll get him to leave. You’ll be here tomorrow, right? After three?”

“If you still want me to come.”

“Of course, I still want you to come. I’ve never felt so motivated before. You’re a great coach.”

“Thank you for putting up with me.”

“You don’t have to thank me for anything. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? You’ll be okay, right?”

“I’ll be fine,” he says with a nod.

“He won’t come out?” Kihyun says when she walks back into the practice room alone.

“He doesn’t feel comfortable. Come on. We’re leaving.”

 

Between bites of ramen, Kihyun rants about the awkwardness of Hyunwoo. “I’m telling you that it’s not normal, that behavior.”

“Kihyun, don’t say that. It’s not nice.”

“I’m just saying…”

“I know, and I said to stop it.”

“Socially awkward is one thing, Haru. But who hides in a bathroom when someone comes in?”

“He has bad social anxiety, Kihyun, and he thought you looked like one of those jerks who just see through people like that, like they don’t even exist, because they’re not as good as you are.”

“I never said that!”

“I didn’t say that you did. I said he thought that’s what you looked like.”

“How could he even see me?! He wouldn’t come out to face me!”

“Ki, why are you being like this?”

Kihyun can’t explain himself. She would never understand his reasoning. She’s proven that over the years. “I just don’t like this guy. He’s weird, and I’m afraid he’ll hurt you.”

“Right now, he’s only helping me. He’s improved my dancing and my mood. I love spending time with him.”

“Yeah, I noticed. More than you love spending time with me anymore, apparently.”

“Ki, that’s not true.”

“Are you ever late to meet him for dinner?”

“I don’t meet him for dinner.”

“Dance practice then! Are you ever late?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I have been late. Once, I was late, because I left school to drive across town to pick you up, and drive you to work!” Haru stands up from the table. “I’m leaving. I don’t need this interrogation from you, Kihyun. If you don’t know how much I value you by now, then I don’t know what to do. You’ve been my best friend for almost twenty years, for crying out loud.”

 

“What’s wrong?” Hyunwoo asks when Haru trudges into the practice room the next day.

“Huh? Oh, nothing.”

“Something is wrong. You’re… droopy.”

“Thank you.”

Hyunwoo chuckles and stands up from the floor where he’d been seated when she walked into the room. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing. Just stupid Kihyun. We had a fight last night at dinner.”

“About me?”

“No, not really. About me. About how much I don’t really care about him, apparently. I don’t know how he could think that I don’t care about him! He’s been my best friend since I was five years old! I would do anything for him!”

“Maybe it’s not that he thinks you don’t care about him. It’s that you don’t care about him in the way that he wants you to.”

“Hyunwoo, that didn’t make any sense.”

He laughs again. “He’s in love with you, Haru.”

Haru laughs in a loud burst. “He is not.”

“I think he is. Judging by the way that you say he acts, the way that he acted yesterday. I think he’s in love with you.”

“Well, maybe you just don’t understand relationships very well,” Haru snaps.

As soon as the words leave her lips, she feels sick.

“I didn’t mean that,” she says quickly, but the damage is done.

“No, you’re right,” he says, wilting. “I don’t understand relationships. I’ve never been good at having any, so what am I doing prying into yours.”

“Hyunwoo, no… I just… I can’t believe that Kihyun could be in love with me. We’re best friends. It just doesn’t… I just don’t want to believe it, that’s all. I never should have said that to you. I’m just frustrated, and I said something that I didn’t mean without thinking. Do you think you can forgive me?”

“Is that what friends do?”

“I hope so.”

“I’ll forgive you even if it isn’t what friends normally do. I don’t want to be upset.”

Haru sighs. “Hyunwoo, can I hug you?”

Hyunwoo’s eyes widen. “I don’t know if you should.”

“Why not? Do you not like to be touched?”

He shrugs his shoulders. He can’t explain why he doesn’t want her to hug him. Maybe because he wouldn’t want to stop hugging her.

 

Haru doesn’t meet Kihyun for dinner that evening, and he doesn’t text. When she wakes up the next morning, the first thing she does is grab her phone to check for messages or calls from him.

There’s nothing.

She considers sending a message to him, but changes her mind.

She goes through the next two days, anxiously checking her phone. He never contacts her, and by Wednesday afternoon, she is dragging her feet as she enters the practice room.

“He still hasn’t contacted you?” Hyunwoo asks when he spots her coming into the room.

Haru sniffs, and suddenly tears roll down her cheeks. “He’s never given me the silent treatment this long.”

Hyunwoo moves toward her, and wraps his strong arms around her. He fears that he will become too comfortable with hugging her, but he’s willing to risk it. She needs it.

“I don’t know what to do,” she tells him.

“You have to contact him.”

“But he obviously doesn’t want to talk to me.”

“He probably does, but doesn’t know what to say. Or he thinks that you don’t want to talk to him. Trust me. He loves you.”

Haru pulls away from him, turning away completely to wipe her eyes. “I don’t… I don’t think he is in love with me, Hyunwoo.”

“Alright…” They’re both silent for a moment, and then Hyunwoo asks, “Are you in love with him?”

“No… I don’t think so. I love him. But… I’ve never been in love before. I don’t know.”

“Well, how do you feel when he’s with other girls?”

“He’s never been with other girls.”

“Never?”

“Never. I tend to think he’s gay, but he insists that he isn’t.”

“Maybe he’s not. He’s just in love with the one girl he can’t have.”

“Are you writing a romance novel or something? You need inspiration?”

Hyunwoo laughs. “How did you guess?”

Haru chuckles a little. “You’re so invested in my non-love life.”

“I just like to see you happy. You’re never happier than when you’re talking about him. Even when you’re talking about how he nags at you.”

“That’s not true. I’m never happier than when I’m dancing, here with you. I tell everyone that.”

“Then, you’re lying to everyone and yourself.”

“I am not.”

“Then you can’t see what I see. You can’t see the way you look when you talk about him which you do a lot, by the way. I don’t think you notice it, but you say his name more times than I could possibly count. You talk about things you’ve done together, things you want to do, things he says, things he’s gotten for you.”

“Well, he’s my best friend, you know? He’s a big part of my life. Well, not for the past three days, but he was.”

“I think there’s more to it than that. I’m sorry. I know I’m overstepping, and I don’t know about relationships, but I’m just telling you what I see.”

Haru sighs loudly, and squats to sit on the floor. “I miss him,” she mutters.

“Call him.”

She shakes her head. “He’s working.”

“Text him.”

She shakes her head again. “I want to dance for now.”

“Call him after we’re done.”

“I think I’ll take him some food when he’s getting off work. Kihyun loves food. He actually loves to cook, but he doesn’t do it much. I don’t know why. I always thought he’d work at a restaurant. I don’t know why he doesn’t. He’d love it.”

Hyunwoo just watches her as she rattles on about Kihyun. He wonders how she can’t see what he sees.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” Hyunwoo says when Haru starts to pack up after their practice.

“Of course. I’ll be here.” She hoists her bag onto her back. “You know you don’t have to come here every day.”

“It’s the best part of my day,” he tells her.

She smiles. “Thanks, Hyunwoo. I’ll see you tomorrow. Have a good night!”

Haru leaves school quickly, and heads to Kihyun’s favorite restaurant. She orders too much food – all of his favorites – and rushes to the bookstore.

Kihyun should just be clocking out when she rolls into the parking lot. She grabs the smallest bag, just an offering, just a preview of what she’s done to apologize, and walks briskly toward the front door of the bookstore.

Kihyun has just walked out. She starts to shout for him, but then a woman appears at his side, having just left the building as well. She looks vaguely familiar to Haru, one of Kihyun’s co-workers, probably. She could still call out to him, but something stops her. She feels uneasy.

Kihyun says something that Haru is too far away to hear, and nods to the woman. The woman is all grins, and then she’s reaching out to him. Haru’s jaw tightens.

The woman takes him by the hand, and talks animatedly to him. Haru can hear none of it, but she can see Kihyun smile at her, and the woman reach up with her free hand to touch his cheek.

Haru’s hands tighten into fists without a thought. Her jaw is clenched tightly as she turns quickly, and rushes back to her car. She leaves immediately, not looking in the rearview as she goes. She doesn’t want to see that stupid woman with her hands on Kihyun, and she doesn’t want to think about why it bothers her so much.

 

“Juyeon, I’m sorry,” Kihyun says, pushing her hands away. “You’re very kind, but I’m just not interested. I’m sorry.” He nods several times to his older co-worker, and dodges away from her to walk to his car.

“I don’t understand why you’re so hung up on your friend!” Juyeon calls after him. “She is never going to see you that way!”

Kihyun bites his lip, and doesn’t look back as he rushes to his car. The first thing on his mind is calling Haru, but she hasn’t bothered to call him in days, and she walked out on their Sunday dinner. She obviously isn’t interested in hearing from him.

Frustrated, he jams the key into the ignition, and turns it to start the car. Nothing happens.

He curses, and bashes his hand on the steering wheel. “Not know!” He tries the key again, and again, nothing.

He has no one to call except Haru. He has no choice. He can’t afford a tow and a cab.

Haru has just pulled into the parking lot of her apartment building when her phone rings. She knows it’s Kihyun. Who else would it be? She ignores it, gathers up the bags, and starts for her apartment.

The same homeless man that lingers outside the building is there. She hands him all the food, says God Bless, and continues into her apartment.

Her phone is ringing away in her pocket. She ignores it as she lets herself inside. Tears have been poking at her eyelids since she left the bookstore parking lot, but she refused to let them flow until she reached home.

As soon as the door closes behind her, the tears seem to understand that it’s their time. She sinks to the floor, leaning against the door, sobbing for the confusion of all of this. Stupid Hyunwoo. Why did he have to fill her head with these strange thoughts of love?

 

Kihyun growls as he ends the call for a third time. He tries again, but gets Haru’s voicemail. “Haru, please answer the phone. I know that we haven’t talked in a couple of days, but my car won’t start, and I’m stuck at work. Please.”

He ends the call and starts to text her when he hears a knock on his window.

He looks over and sighs. Juyeon stands there, grin on her face, waving at him. He cannot accept a ride from her. He would rather walk in the heat.

Still he opens the door a little to talk to her. “Noona…”

“Kihyun-ah! Are you having car trouble?”

“A little. It’s nothing. Haru is on the way.”

“You looked a little upset. I didn’t think she would be on the way.”

“Of course, she is. She’s always there for me. Have a good day, noona.” He nods, and closes the door before she can say anything else.

He waits until she has turned her back before he sends a text to Haru.

Haru, please answer me! I’m stuck at work. My car won’t start. Even if you hate me, please give me a ride!

 

After ten minutes of crying, Haru finally pulls her phone out of her pocket. When she sees that she has several texts in addition to the calls from Kihyun, she opens their text thread.

Haru, please answer me! I’m stuck at work. My car won’t start. Even if you hate me, please give me a ride!
Please, Haru. I’m sorry for being an idiot. I really need you.
You know that I can’t afford a stupid tow, plus whatever to fix, plus a cab.
Please.

Haru’s heart aches. But something ugly and jealous takes over when she replies to him.

 

“What the…?” Kihyun cuts off before he swears.

Why don’t you ask your stupid co-worker for a ride?

What does that even mean? Haru doesn’t even know his co-workers, aside from his elderly bosses whom she adores.

What are you talking about? I’m not friends with any of them. Please come pick me up!!

A moment later, he gets back a message that almost makes him drop his phone. You looked pretty friendly when she was grabbing your hand and rubbing your face. I’m sure she’d love to give you a lift.

That sounds distinctly jealous.

And where was Haru? How could she have seen him with Juyeon? Had she come by to see him and gone so quickly that he didn’t notice? Why did she sound jealous?

Where were you? I didn’t even see you. That was Juyeon. She’s a noona that always harasses me. I don’t even like her. I told her to get lost. I guess you left before that.

 

Haru stares at the new message, wondering if it’s true. She doesn’t like that, the wondering. Since when does she question Kihyun’s honesty? He’s never lied to her once. Unless he really is in love with her, and hasn’t told her. That’s a lie by omission, isn’t it?

None of that matters when he needs her. She shouldn’t have even sent him the angry messages. Whatever this odd jealousy is, it doesn’t matter.

She texts him, on my way, and leaves in a rush. The homeless man shouts his thanks as he stuffs his face with Kihyun’s favorite rice when she jogs past him.

Haru feels foolish for leaving the bookstore, and giving away the food intended for Kihyun, but at least it went for a good cause, and not into the bin.

 

Kihyun’s head is resting on the steering wheel when Haru parks beside him. He looks up, mutters Thank God, and climbs out of his car.

“You’re going to sweat to death in there,” she tells him when he enters her air-conditioned car.

“I didn’t care.”

“Ki, I’m sorry.”

“For what?” He wants to hear her say that she was jealous of Juyeon.

“Taking so long.”

He should have known that she would never admit to that.

“It’s fine. Just take me home. I called a tow truck to take the car to the shop.”

Haru always wished they lived in the same apartment building, but there wasn’t a unit available when Kihyun was hunting for a place. The unit beside hers was available now, but Kihyun had two months still on his lease. She assumed it would be gone before he could move.

They sit in silence as she drives across town to his apartment. She almost tells him about the food, but without the actual food, it just seems foolish. It wouldn’t make up for anything now.

When she parks in front of his building, he doesn’t make a move to get out of the car. They sit silently until he finally turns to her. She stares at the wheel.

“I’m sorry that I was a jerk, and that I didn’t call or text over the last few days.”

She shakes her head as if to say, it’s nothing.

“I missed you,” he tries again. He hopes to get more than a head shake for a response.

She nods.

“You didn’t miss me, huh? I don’t know why I thought you did.” He sighs, and shakes his head as he reaches for the car’s door handle to let himself out.

“Of course I missed you, stupid,” she snaps. “I’m just frustrated, because you never called or anything, and now I feel dumb, because of the way I acted today. And I’m hungry and I need a nap.”

Kihyun laughs, and turns back to look at her. “Is that all?”

“Probably not. I could whine a little more if you give me a minute.”

“Come in, Haru. I’ll cook dinner for you.”

 

“You look noticeably happier today,” Hyunwoo says, by way of greeting Haru when she skips into the practice room the following afternoon.

“I had dinner with Kihyun last night.”

“Ah, so he accepted your peace offering then?”

“Well, no.  A homeless man ended up enjoying my peace offering.”

Hyunwoo’s brow furrows. “There’s a story there. I can feel it.”

Haru laughs. “Yeah, it’s a dumb one though. I got angry and gave the food away.”

“Angry? Because he wouldn’t accept the offering?”

“He doesn’t even know there was an offering.”

“Again, I sense a story there.”

“I saw him with some co-worker. She’s very touchy-feely. I thought they were dating.”

“So, what? He’s not gay, I guess.”

“You know so what. Don’t play like you haven’t figured out that I got jealous and gave his favorite food to the homeless guy that lives outside my building.”

Hyunwoo covers his mouth, and laughs loudly. “I knew it. I just wanted you to admit it.”

“I swear you are just like Kihyun in some ways. I could tell that he wanted me to admit to being jealous last night. I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction.”

“He probably knew you wouldn’t.”

“You should really meet him. You’d get along so well.”

Hyunwoo shakes his head. “I’d feel like a third wheel now.”

“No! You wouldn’t be that. It’s not like we’re dating. I don’t even know what’s going on with that random jealous moment that I had. And it’s not like he’s confessed or anything. So, no third wheeling.”

“I would feel it. And he doesn’t like me. I can feel that.”

“He doesn’t like what he assumes about you. He’s totally wrong.”

“Well, I’m a guy that’s spending time with you, so think about how he feels. How you felt yesterday, right?”

Haru hums. “Yeah, but… Well, it’s different. He wasn’t looking at you with your hands all over my face. That’s what I was looking at. She had her hands all over him. I thought they were dating and he didn’t tell me. Maybe that’s actually what I was so angry about, the fact that he wouldn’t tell me something like that. Maybe it wasn’t jealousy at all.”

“Do you really believe that?” Hyunwoo asks when she pauses to take a breath.

“Why do you have to look at me like that and ask me those questions? Did I ask for an existential crisis? I don’t think so.”

Hyunwoo laughs at her. “I just want you to be happy.”

“You know, I think I was happier before you started writing a love story with my life.”

 

“How long have you been here? Are you early?” Kihyun glances quickly to the left, right, and behind him. “Am I in the right place? Is your name Haru?”

“Shut up, and sit down.” Haru is not amused.

“But… you’re early! I’m so shocked that I think it’s taken away my appetite.”

“That’s not even a thing. No one says that.”

“It is a thing. Imagine if I came in and told you that I was moving to China. You’d be shocked and you wouldn’t want to eat.”

“That doesn’t even… Kihyun, sit down, before I hit you.” Haru picks up her water glass to take a sip.

Kihyun takes his seat, but rants the whole time he’s doing so. “You’re really the most loving friend I’ve ever had. I mean, a guy could just fall in love with you.”

Haru starts to choke on her water. Kihyun jumps up to help her, but she waves him off, coughing for a few seconds before the choking feeling subsides.

“What happened?”

She shakes her head. “No. Nothing, I mean.”

“Good. Let’s order then. I’m so glad you chose my favorite restaurant. I’m starving.”

“I thought you had your appetite shocked out of you,” Haru says, trying to forget what he’d say about a guy falling in love.

“I did, but it’s coming back now. That can happen, you know? Getting the appetite shocked out of you is not an exact science.”

Haru narrows her eyes at him. “It’s not science at all. What is wrong with you?”

Kihyun giggles. He looks adorable when he giggles, always has. He has these two weird little dimples under his eyes when he smiles. Cutest thing ever.

Wait. Are those natural thoughts for friends to think? Are friends supposed to think their friend’s dimples are the cutest things ever?

“Why do you suddenly look distressed?” Kihyun asks, glancing up from the menu that he is needlessly reading.

“Huh? Oh, nothing, just your face.”

“Rude!” Kihyun dips his two first fingers into his water glass, and flicks water at her face.

“You are so mature.”

“Thanks for saying so.” Kihyun grins like an idiot, and the dimples are on display again.

Haru looks down at the menu. She knows every dish on it, but it’s something to distract her from the dormant feelings that are bubbling to the surface.

 

“What is wrong with you? You just messed up the same step three times.”

“It’s your fault.”

“My fault? I’m standing a meter away from you!”

“Yeah, but you’re messing with my head!”

“Do you want me to leave?”

“No. I just mean with all of this Kihyun talk. You messed with my head. I can’t focus.”

“You need to focus. The competition is in a week and a half.”

“Please don’t remind me.”

“You tell me I’m your coach. It’s my job to remind you.”

“It should have been your job not to point out that Kihyun is in love with me. You know what happened last night?”

“He confessed?”

“No, thank God. But we had dinner, and he smiled, and you know what I thought?”

“That you love him?”

“Stop guessing! You’re making it worse!”

Hyunwoo fights to conceal a smile as he zips his lips to allow her to continue.

“I thought of how cute his little dimples are under his eyes! Is that normal? That’s not normal!”

Hyunwoo bursts into laughter. “No, that’s not normal. I mean, maybe it is, but I don’t think it’s normal for you. I don’t think it’s a friendly thought.”

“Sometimes I want to hit you.”

Hyunwoo just laughs at her. “You do not. Don’t say that.”

“Why do you have to be like you are?”

Hyunwoo stops laughing. “Like what? What do you mean?”

He sounds on edge suddenly. “Just so good to me.”

“Oh.” His face softens, and he laughs a little. “It’s easy to be good to you, Haru. You’re always so good to me.”

Haru rushes him, and steals a hug.

He hugs her back, but briefly. When he pushes her back, he claps his hands together. “Alright, back to the dance! Nine days until the competition!”

 

“What do you mean you work tomorrow, Kihyun?!” Haru shrieks over the phone. “Tomorrow is the competition! You cannot work! You have got to come see me! Kihyun!”

“Haru, I’ll work it out. I promise. I’ll be there. I’ll take off early, or go in late. Whatever. I’ll make it work. I’ll be there.”

“Kihyun! What if your car breaks down again?! What if you don’t show up? I can’t do it without you!”

“What about Hyunwoo? Won’t he be there?”

“He can’t come. He can’t take the crowds. I’m stressing out already, because of that. He waited until last night to tell me that he wouldn’t be there. Oh, this is a disaster. Ki.”

“It’s not a disaster. You are going to do great. I will hitchhike, if I have to, but I will be there, Haru. I will be there long before you even take the floor. I will be there every second watching for you, and I will be there to congratulate you after.”

“There might not be anything to congratulate.”

“There will be. You are going to kill the competition.”

“You haven’t even seen my dance.”

“No, but I’ve heard you talk about it, and you’ve told me what Hyunwoo says about it. If this guy is really such a great dancer, he knows what a good routine looks like. He knows what will win.”

“I wish you were here.”

“Stop stressing. Get to class, and then get to the practice room. Hyunwoo will be there.”

“Thanks, Ki. Sorry for taking up all of your break time.”

“I would never be sorry for talking to you through my break time. See you later for dinner, Haru.”

“See you, Ki.”

While Haru walked to her next class, she thought of how much things had changed over the last week. Kihyun had stopped stressing so much about Hyunwoo. He seemed resolved to the fact that Hyunwoo was an okay guy. Either that or he assumed that if he was going to murder her, he wouldn’t have waited almost a month to do it.

Hyunwoo had also changed a bit. He seemed sad the last few days. Haru now attributed it to the fact that he wouldn’t be joining her at the competition. She was upset about it, but she promised him that she wasn’t angry with him. She would come to the practice room right after the competition to see him, and that would be just fine.

She hoped that it would really be just fine. On a normal day, she aches to see him. She can only imagine that feeling will be worse the day of the competition when her stress level is at its peak.

 

“You know you’re going to blow everyone away tomorrow,” Hyunwoo says when their last practice session is winding to an end.

“No, I don’t know that,” she retorts, tears in her eyes.

“Don’t cry,” he tells her. “Don’t let yourself get upset. You have done so well. Your choreography is amazing, and your movements have never been better. You were great the first time I saw you, but you have improved so much. You are going to be perfect. Don’t let yourself think otherwise. And I’ll be watching. I might not be in the stands where you can see me, but I’ll be watching you.”

The competition will be televised all over South Korea, but it won’t be the same. She can tell that he wants to be there for her as much as she wants him to be there, but something is holding him back. She won’t push him. It won’t help anything.

“You better watch me. If I win, you know I’m going to make a speech, and quiz you on every word.”

He laughs, and wraps her in a hug. “I will be watching you.”

 

Haru bounces on the balls of her feet as she watches a dance team perform to a song by Seventeen. She can barely focus on their steps. Her mind is on the fact that she still hasn’t spotted Kihyun in the crowd. She reserved a seat for him in the front row. She wanted to see him when she went on which would be in roughly twenty minutes.

The solo dancer that will perform right before her is on stage when Kihyun finally shows up. Haru runs down to the stands, and throws her arms around him.

“I’m sorry. I had car trouble,” he tells her, squeezing her tightly. “I had to get a cab.”

“Oh, Ki. I’m so sorry. Thank you so much for coming though. I couldn’t do it without you.”

“Did Hyunwoo show up?”

She shakes her head. “He’s watching though. He promised that he would watch. I just hope that I don’t disappoint him.”

“You won’t disappoint anyone.” Kihyun pulls her against his chest as the other dancer’s song is winding down. “You’ll be amazing. Now, get up there and dance.”

Haru’s entire body is buzzing as she stands in the middle of the stage. When the announcer states her name, and introduces her, her hands start to shake. She closes her eyes for a moment, and pictures Hyunwoo’s smiling face. She can see him in the practice room with her. She can hear him coaching her.

“You got this,” he says.

It seems so real that her head jerks to the side. Of course, he isn’t there. Her music starts a second later, and she tells herself that this is just like all the days in the basement with Hyunwoo.

She’s got this.

Haru runs straight to Kihyun when she finishes, and jumps into his arms. “I messed up,” she says, burying her face against his neck.

“What are you talking about?” Kihyun asks, squeezing her tightly. “You were amazing. You were better than anyone.”

“You just got here!”

Kihyun laughs. “Doesn’t matter. You were so good!”

“I stumbled at the end. I almost tripped.”

“I saw nothing, and I bet the judges didn’t either.”

 

Twenty acts perform before the judges finally take the stage to announce the winners. Out of the five hundred acts that performed since seven o’clock that morning and the five hundred that performed the previous day, there are only five winners. Haru is glad that she only came for the last part of the competition. She wouldn’t have been able to sit through five hundred dances.

The first two winners will receive a free year at an exclusive dance studio in Seoul and $500 US dollars. Second and third place will the same free year offer plus two thousand extra dollars. Not a shabby prize, but everyone is after that Grand Prize.

“Let’s just go home, Ki. I don’t think I even made the Top 5. Everyone else was so much better than me.”

“That’s crap! You had the most original dance up there. You incorporated ballet with acrobatic hip-hop. That’s like magic. You’re like the Harry Potter of dance.”

Haru laughs, and leans her head over on his shoulder as the judge prepares to announce fifth place.

Fourth and fifth place go to people that Haru has seen around the dance scene. They are always in competitions. She has never seen them take the top spot, but they consistently walk away with one of the prizes.

Coveted third place goes to someone unknown to Haru – a solo girl from Busan. She dedicates her prize to her late mother, and Haru tears up a little as she claps for her. Everyone is dancing for someone today.

Second place is a group of five who the announcer claims have recently been scouted by a small entertainment company. They dedicate their winnings to their families, friends, and fans. Haru wonders what it would be like to have fans.

“I told you that I didn’t win anything,” she says to Kihyun. “It’s okay. I’ll try harder next time.”

Haru starts to walk away, but Kihyun holds her back. “You can’t leave now. It’s almost over.”

“Ki, there’s no point.”

“Just stay for the last award, and then we’ll leave and go get some cake or something.”

Haru laughs, and hugs him from the side as she listens to the judge go on and on about the competition and the previous winners. When he’s finished, he says, “The first prize goes to the most innovative performance we’ve seen in a long time. This dancer managed to completely stun us for the three minutes that she was on this stage. We are not easily baffled.”

“It’s that girl that did the backflip,” Haru says. “I thought she might win.”

“Her dance was terrible. The backflip was the only impressive thing she did. This is a dance competition, not a tumbling competition, she’s not going to win.”

“From right here in Seoul, our winner is twenty-two-year-old, Lee Haru.”

Haru registers nothing, but Kihyun violently shaking her. The world seems to erupt around her, but she can hear nothing. Kihyun is grinning wide – his adorable dimples on display – and shouting something at her. Congratulations, maybe. She can’t hear him. Her head is buzzing loudly.

Then, she imagines Hyunwoo speaking to her, “I knew you could do it,” he whispers in her ear, and suddenly all of the sound comes flooding back.

Kihyun is screaming. Everyone is clapping. The judges are calling for her.

Kihyun shoves her forward. She stumbles, finds her footing, and pushes through the crowd to get to the stage. She bows ninety degrees to the judges, accepts her prizes, and bows again.

“Would you like so say something?” the judge asks her.

The buzzing is back. She can see his lips moving, but doesn’t hear the sound.

“I’m sorry, what?” she asks, fighting past the buzzing in her head.

“Would you like to give a speech?” he repeats.

“Oh, um, yes.” She takes the microphone from him, thanking him. She congratulates everyone else first, and then launches into her “Thank You” speech. Kihyun is at the top of her list. “I have to thank my best friend who has always been there for me since we were kids. Without him, I don’t think that I would be standing up here today. I don’t know what I’d do without him. I love you, Ki.” She blows a kiss to him, and then starts her “thank you” to Hyunwoo. “A month ago, I met another great friend who completely changed my life. He couldn’t be here today, but he’s watching. He helped me so much with my dancing, inspired me, and pushed me to get to where I am right now. Thank you so much. I wish you were here. This is for you!” She holds up the flowers that they handed her with the information about her trip, and fake check. The online bookings for the trip will be handled later, and the check will be directly deposited into her bank account.

 

“You dedicated your win to Hyunwoo. I’m wounded,” Kihyun says when she runs up to him.

“Oh, he couldn’t be here. It’s only fair.”

“I love you more than that guy, you know?”

Haru laughs, and loops her arms around his neck. “Of course, I know that.” She kisses his cheeks as she pulls away. “Come on. Let’s get out of here.”

“Don’t you have to stay for pictures or something?”

“I don’t think so. I don’t want to take pictures anyway. I want to go.”

“You going to see Hyunwoo?”

“Yeah, we’re supposed to meet up in the practice room after the competition. I don’t know if he’ll show up though.”

“Of course, he will. Do you want to meet up for a celebratory dinner after?”

“You’re not going to ask if you can come along with me?”

“Hyunwoo wouldn’t be comfortable.”

“Thanks, Ki. You’re the best.”

“You better not forget that!”

“Why don’t you ride along with me anyway? I have to give you a ride anyway, right?”

“Yeah. I can wait in the car for you.”

“You really are the best.”

Kihyun grins. “You’re the best too. Literally. Look at you! I knew you were gonna win. I could feel it.”

“You’re so full of it. I can’t even believe I won. I swear I’m going to wake up any minute.”

 

Haru has a grin on her face as she runs through the dark hallways of the school building, her phone’s flashlight lighting her way. The dim light is still on in the basement, and she picks up the pace as she races to the end of the hallway. When she pushes open the door to the practice room, the light is on, but Hyunwoo is nowhere to be seen.

“Hyunwoo! Are you here?! Hyunwoo! I won! Did you see me?” She glances all over looking for him, and spots a piece of paper taped to the mirror.

She rushes over to read it. “I’m so proud of you. Congratulations, Haru! You should spend the night with your best friend. I’ll see you tomorrow. – Hyunwoo.”

Haru frowns. She had been looking forward to seeing Hyunwoo all night. She takes the note down, folds it, and slips it into her back pocket.

“What’s wrong?” Kihyun asks when she returns to the car. She had been too high on adrenaline to drive, so he was behind the wheel.

“Hyunwoo left a note, saying congratulations, but that I should spend the night with you. He said he’d see me tomorrow.”

“Well, that was nice of him.”

“I guess, but I really wanted to see him, Kihyun. He’s been like a coach to me and a friend. I really cared about what he thought of my performance. I really wanted to see his reaction.”

“You’ll see him tomorrow. I think it’s really kind of him to think that you should spend the night celebrating with your best friend. Maybe he thought that you’d ask him to come out with us to celebrate, and he didn’t want to bring you down by saying no. That’s a possibility too, don’t you think?”

Haru bites her bottom lip as she settles into the passenger seat. “I guess so. I shouldn’t be sad. I have a lot to be happy about, and I’ll see him tomorrow.”

“That’s right! Now let’s go celebrate! Food and then dancing! What do you think? Let’s go to a club!”

“I’d rather get some take-out and celebrate with Netflix, you, and my couch.”

“Are you serious?! You don’t want to go out dancing, partying!”

“Since when has partying at the club ever been my thing?”

Kihyun laughs. “Well, since never, but I thought it was the celebration thing to do.”

“Not for me. I’d rather just spend the night alone with you. That’s celebration enough for me. Let’s get all of our favorite foods, tons of dessert, and watch our favorite movie.”

“Is this going to be an all-night celebration? If it is, I need to stop at home, and get some clothes.”

“Yes, please. A sleepover sounds fun.”

“We haven’t had a sleepover in years.”

“Should we braid each other’s hair?”

Kihyun laughs. “I’ll braid yours, but I don’t know how much luck you’ll have with mine.”

“I would be willing to try,” she says with a laugh. “I can’t stay up too late though. I have class in the morning. Whoever scheduled this competition for a Thursday obviously didn’t take summer classes into account.”

“Maybe they know that only true nerds go to summer school.”

“Says the nerd taking two classes right now.”

Kihyun just laughs and starts to drive out of the parking lot. “Where to, Queen of the Dance Competition?”

 

The next morning, Haru feels exhausted as she hauls herself out of bed at seven. She stayed up until after midnight with Kihyun. They ate far too much food, and watched three of their favorite movies back-to-back.

“Hey!” Kihyun shouts when she walks into the kitchen.

Haru jumps like she’s been shot at, and waves her arms in front of her. “No, no. It’s too early for happy Kihyun.”

Kihyun laughs. “But I’m always happy with you.”

Haru’s eyes are barely even open, but she narrows them further at him. “Too early for Cheesy Kihyun too.”

“I made pancakes and your favorite tea. Is it too early for Chef Kihyun?”

“Mmm… Nope. It’s never too early for Chef Kihyun. Gimme my food.”

“I just put it on the table,” he says, grabbing her arms, and turning her toward the table.

“Thanks, Ki.”

“What time is your first class today?”

“Ten, thank goodness. I’m going to be so lazy until it’s time to leave. I should still be in bed.”

Kihyun laughs as he sits down to join her. “I’m glad you’re awake. I was getting bored out here trying to entertain myself.”

“You’re a weirdo.”

“I just made you breakfast and you call me weirdo!”

“Yep.” Haru punctuates her sentence with a giant bite of her pancake.

Kihyun pretends to stab her with his fork. “Hey, is that your phone?” he asks when he hears music down the hallway.

“Crap!” Haru races down the hallway, and grabs her phone. She rarely gets calls that aren’t from Kihyun, so it must be important.

“Miss Lee?”

“Yes?”

“This is the dean’s personal assistant.”

Haru’s eyes widen. “Yes?”

“He would like to meet with you this morning. Would that be possible?”

“Yes, of course. May I ask what about?”

“The dean has been made aware of your competition win last night. He would like to discuss it with you.”

“Oh…kay. What time?”

“Would eight be okay?”

“I’ll be there.”

“What was that?” Kihyun asks when Haru speeds back into the kitchen.

“The dean wants to meet with me about last night! What if I violated some school rule by competing?”

“You and like thirty other students?”

“Oh, right.”

“He’s probably going to congratulate you. Maybe give you a scholarship.”

“Well, that would be rich. Next year is my last year.”

“Hey, it’s better than nothing.”

Haru shakes her head. “No, I don’t think it’s good. I have a bad feeling.”

“You’re just being paranoid. It’s nothing bad. There’s no reason for it to be bad.”

Haru continues to shake her head. “No, I have a feeling something is wrong.”

 

“The dean will see you now,” the assistant ushers Haru into the dean’s regal office.

As soon as Haru enters the room, the dean stands from his desk, bows, and introduces himself like she doesn’t know who he is.

She bows as well, and goes through the same formalities.

“I saw your competition last night. Televised, of course. You were phenomenal.”

Haru blushes, and thanks him.

“We’re very proud of you here at the university. It means a lot to have someone with such talent in this school.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“You are most welcome. I congratulate you on your exceptional talent.”

She bows again.

“Am I correct that your last year will be next year?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“What will you do after you leave university?”

“Well, it’s always been my dream to own my own dance studio where I could teach kids that don’t have another way to learn. Some dance studios are very expensive. When I was younger, I couldn’t go to a professional studio. I want to be sure that other kids have the opportunities that I did not.”

“That’s a noble pursuit.”

“Thank you, Sir. It means a lot that you think so.”

“I have something to ask of you, Miss Lee.”

“Yes, Sir?”

“We will have a new crop of students in a month, new students of the performing arts, new dancers. I would like for you to speak to them in a special assembly at the beginning of the year. I would like you to tell them about your journey to winning this competition. Being number one out of one thousand top dancers is nothing to laugh at.”

“Thank you, Sir. I don’t know if I’m the right person to talk to these students though. I may have done well yesterday, but I’m not someone special.”

“I think you are, Miss Lee. I would like it very much if you would do this. It’s not a requirement though, and I will understand if you don’t wish to do it. But, please consider it. I never used to appreciate the arts, especially dance. Over the last several years, I’ve come to value it quite a lot. I want to be sure that the new kids coming in every year feel valued and validated in what they’ve chosen to do.”

The dean looks sad when he speaks about the new kids. She wants to ask him why he seems sad, but it would probably be rude, so she just nods. “I will do it, Sir. Just get me the time when you know it, and I will be there.”

“Of course. Now, would you mind taking a photograph with me for the school paper?”

“Oh, yes, of course.”

The dean presses a button on his telephone and instructs his assistant to let the reporter from the school paper into his office. Then, he waves Haru around behind his desk.

They stand for a photograph, shake hands, bow, and Haru turns to leave.

When she turns, something on the dean’s desk catches her eye. She stares, stunned still, glued to her place beside the dean.

The dean follows her gaze. “My son,” he says. “My Hyunwoo.”

 

Haru bursts into the practice room. Hyunwoo stands in front of the mirror, leaning back against it.

“Is it true?” she manages.

“What?”

“I was in the dean’s office.”

Hyunwoo’s face falls into realization.

“The photograph,” he says.

“The inscription,” she pants.

“In loving memory. Son Hyunwoo. 1990-2010,” Hyunwoo says like he’s reading the newspaper.

Haru’s knees buckle, and she falls to the hardwood floor. “How?”

“Car accident. My father refused to drive me to a dance competition, so I had to walk. It was raining. I didn’t see the car. The driver didn’t see me until it was too late.”

Tears flood down Haru’s cheeks. “But,” she sobs.

“How am I here? I used to wonder that too. I don’t know why I got stuck here. I’ve been stuck in this basement for years. This used to be my practice room. I found it, like you did. There used to be a bunch down here, turned to storage, but this one was empty. I danced here every day. Maybe that’s why I got stuck here.”

“But…”

“Why can you see me? That is a mystery to me. Maybe because you needed me. You needed me, and I needed you. I’ve been able to leave the basement since you arrived down here. You freed me.”

Haru looks up at him through blurry eyes.

He stands over her. She knows that she shouldn’t feel afraid. It’s Hyunwoo, but she backs up a little.

“It’s just me,” he says, kneeling in front of her. “Don’t be afraid of me. I’m still me, even though you know what I am now.”

“I don’t understand.” Haru almost chokes on the words and her tears.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t try to tell you, but it would have ruined everything.”

“You’re a…”

“Ghost. Spirit. I don’t know. Something like that.”

“But…” She reaches out to touch him. His arms is as solid as it ever was.

“You’re the only one that I can be solid for. I tried to appear to my father, to solidify. He couldn’t see me. I walked right through him.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It would have been the same with your Kihyun. That’s why I never wanted to meet him.”

Haru nods, wiping her eyes. “The anxiety was all a lie.”

“No.  I did have social anxiety when I was alive. Now that I’m dead…”

“Don’t say that,” Haru interjects.

“I’m sorry, but now that I’m like this, there’s little to be anxious about.”

She nods. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Are you okay?”

“I don’t… I guess. It’s just, I mean…”

“You made friends with a ghost and didn’t know it.”

“Pretty much.”

“I’m pretty good, huh?”

Haru can’t help laughing. She sniffs and wipes the last of the tears away from her eyes. “I almost had a heart attack when I saw that photograph on your father’s desk.”

“I’m sorry.”

“He thought I was crazy, I think, because I bolted out of there, and ran all the way here.”

Hyunwoo laughs.

“You weren’t up there to see that, were you?”

“No. I stay down here mostly. It probably won’t make sense to you, but it wears me out to travel. I can leave now that I know you, but it makes me feel drained.”

“You can feel drained when you’re… like you are?”

“Yeah. I told you that it wouldn’t make sense. It doesn’t even make sense to me, and I’ve been d – like this – for six years. I was at your competition last night. I whispered in your ear. No one could see me, but I know you heard me. I could tell.”

“I knew it! I mean, I didn’t know it, but yeah, I heard you.”

“I told you that I’d be watching you.”

“I just thought you meant on television.”

He smiles. “I just made myself invisible. I was on stage with you the whole time.”

“On stage?”

“Yes. I couldn’t resist being there with you. I wanted to hold you when you won, to hug you, to congratulate you, but how would that have looked?”

“Like I was hugging air, I guess.”

“Bit weird.”

“Just a bit,” she agrees with a chuckle.

“You doing okay?”

She nods. “I guess. I mean, it’s okay. When you say travelling makes you drained, does that mean that you can’t stay away from here for a long time, or you can’t travel around a lot?”

“Both.”

Haru frowns. “I was going to invite you over to my place. That sounds weird, but we’ve been hanging out for a month, so why should I act weird now, right?”

He chuckles.

“So, we’ll just keep hanging out here then? I can bring some stuff here for you, if you want. To help you be more comfortable. And I’ll come more often, and we can spend time together. You won’t be alone down here.”

“Haru, I don’t have to worry about that. You freed me.”

“Yeah, but you said it drains you to travel, so…”

“So, I can go now, because you helped me, and I helped you, and I’m free now.”

“You can go out now? It’s different than last night? Come to my place then.” Haru jumps to her feet. “Come on! It’ll be so much fun. We can…”

“Haru.” Hyunwoo appears in front of her.

She jumps. “Whoa. Hey, none of that!”

“Haru, it’s time for me to go now.” He stares into her eyes. “I was here to help you, and I did. I can go.”

Haru’s eyes widen, and a torrent of tears flood out. “No,” she says. “I can’t… What am I supposed to do without you?”

“You don’t need me anymore. You have yourself, and you have Kihyun.” Hyunwoo takes hold of her shoulders, and stares into her eyes. “Tell him that you love him. Don’t waste time. Life can be too short sometimes. Don’t take a chance. Tell him.”

“Hyunwoo,” she whines. “Please. Don’t go. I can’t… I don’t want to be without you. I love you.”

“I love you too, Haru. I really do.”

“Then, don’t leave me!”

“It’s time. It’s finally time. I’m so grateful to you. I can finally rest.”

“Hyunwoo, please just stay a little longer with me, please.”

“Haru, I’ve been here so long, trapped here. Please let me go. You will be just fine. You’ll be great. Don’t ever forget how amazing you are. Don’t ever forget that. And let Kihyun love you. Let him worry over you. Let him watch over you. He’s a good man.”

Haru wraps her arms around him, and holds him tight as if she might be able to stop him from disappearing.

“Don’t forget me,” he whispers. “I’ll always be with you.”

She feels his lips on her forehead and then he’s gone.

“Hyunwoo!” she shouts into the empty room.

But he’s gone.

She falls to her knees as tears rush out of her in streams.

Kihyun finds her lying on the floor, curled into the fetal position two hours later.

 

“Haru! There you are! I tried calling you. I went to the dean’s office. He said you ran out. I couldn’t think of where you’d go or… What’s wrong? Haru!” Kihyun is on his knees at her side. He pulls her up onto his lap.

She is limp, face red and puffy. After an hour of sobbing, the tears stopped flowing and she laid there, shuddering and staring into the distance.

“What’s wrong, Haru? What happened?!”

“Hyunwoo,” she whispers.

Kihyun leans his head close to . “What?”

“Hyunwoo died.”

Kihyun jerks up. “What?!”

“He died, Ki,” she sobs, suddenly extremely mobile, rolling against him, clutching his shirt in her fists.

He is stunned, to say the least. He doesn’t ask questions, just holds her, and lets her cry it out.

 

Epilogue
Five Years Later

“Hyunwoo-yah, you’re back!” Haru shouts, holding her arms out for a hug.

Hyunwoo runs into her arms. “Umma! Appa bought a cotton candy for me! But I eated it all.”

Haru laughs. “You eated it all before umma got some! Now umma will eat you up.” She swings her beautiful son into the air, and pretends to bite at his belly.

“Appa! Umma is eating me!” The three-year-old shouts.

“Oh, no!” Kihyun runs into the kitchen to rescue his son. “Appa will save you!”

“I think umma is hungry, appa,” Hyunwoo says, earning a laugh from both parents.

“We better get to cooking dinner then, huh?”

“Yep! Let’s make fried chicken.”

“Yum! Make umma some fried chicken,” Haru says, kissing both of her favorite boys on the cheeks. “I’m going to run to the studio. My favorite girls are there today. I want to see how they’re doing.”

“Don’t be long. Hyunnie and I will eat all of the chicken without you! Won’t we?”

“No, appa! If we do, umma will eat us!”

Haru laughs. “I won’t be long, my loves!”

After university, Kihyun and Haru – married already – bought an apartment, opened a studio under it, and had a baby boy whom Haru insisted they name after Hyunwoo. Kihyun wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Haru also convinced the dean to create a dance scholarship in Hyunwoo’s name, pretending that her older brother had been friends with his late son. The dean knew so little about his son, he didn’t question her, and he set up the scholarship promptly.

He also had Haru and Hyunwoo’s practice room locked. Haru has the only key. She still practices there. Recently, she took little Hyunwoo there, telling him stories about how mommy and her friend once danced there. She talks to Hyunwoo, tells him about the baby, wishes he were there to hear her.

Maybe he is. She doesn’t really think so.

“Hey, everyone!” Haru waves to the dancer she hired as a second teacher, and the group of girls in front of her.

“Miss Haru!” The girls shout simultaneously.

“How are we doing today? What are we doing today?”

“We’re dancing to a new boy group’s song, Miss Haru!” Fourteen-year-old, Jangmi, gushes.

“Ooh, new boy group! Tell me all about them! Are they gorgeous?”

“Of course!” Jangmi’s best friend, Kyunghee, chimes in.

“They’re called Monsta X,” Jangmi says, showing off a picture on her phone.

She flashes it so quickly that Haru can’t make out anything.

“This is my favorite, the leader,” she tells her, showing her the phone again.

Haru grabs the phone from her, and stares at the photograph of a smiling boy with chipmunk cheeks and adorable eye wings.