Blind

Deep Within

“Oh..I’m sorry!” I was sitting on a high stool by the bar when a girl bumped into me. I’m not the type to flip out on people, but I was having an exceptionally bad day. “Can’t you see where you walking?” I turned to my right side to look at the culprit’s face when I froze. Standing there was a beautiful girl – she had flawless skin, pretty pink lips, long wavy hair, and from her facial features I noticed she wasn’t local. I could say it was her beauty that freeze me on spot, but it wasn’t…it was the fact she was carrying a white cane.

“I-I am…so-o sorry. I-I..” She chuckled and interrupted me. “Don’t worry about it. Even though I can’t see you, that’s not an excuse for my clumsiness. You would be surprised how I’ve never been able to see my whole life, and I’m still so bad at walking without bumping into people or stuff.” Her happy and cheerful speech surprised me. I wasn’t expecting that kind of reaction. I believe in equality for all, but…she’s just physically incapable of the same stunts other people do.

“S-still…I apologize, for being…rude to you. I’m..not usually like that.” I looked down and sighed. She managed to grab the end of the stool standing next to me, and tried to sit. “Would you mind?” She handed me her cane, and I grabbed her arm to lead her the way. She sat next to me, and faced me according the sound of my voice, I assumed. “I can see you’re definitely having a bad day.” This kind of made me laugh. She can see? I’ve never thought a blind person would use that expression. “How do you know that?”

“Oh, you learn how to tell so many things when you don’t see. It’s like mind reading, without one of the most important senses.” She reached in my direction searching for my hand apparently. Okay, this is getting awkward…”Your hands are warm, your voice is very alluring and you speak really low. You are definitely gentle, friendly and sweet towards most people. You’ve probably been hurt, and decided to just vent out your frustration at the first person who showed up and pissed you off. The perfect excuse to let out your anger.” I was stunned, and was glad she couldn’t see me. She kept holding my hand, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. “How can you trust your judgement when you don’t actually see me? My expressions could tell something different.” She laughed sweetly. “See? That’s problem of all you Humans. You rely too much on what your eyes tell you. Looks can be deceiving. Your face could be all happy, but one word and by your voice I’ll know if you’re dying inside.” She let go of my hand. “But, that’s nothing I’m expecting all people to know and understand.” She chuckled full of confidence. “I’m Ariana, by the way.” She introduced herself.

“I’m Kyuhyun.” She smiled hearing my name. “Somehow, I believe that name fits you the most.”

“Why?”

“It sounds really good in my ears, just like your voice.” I blushed at her compliment. This is a lot more comfortable than it should be. “So, Kyuhyun. Tell me what happened? I love hearing other people’s problems.” I bit my lip uncertain. Why should I trust this girl? Besides having the oddest speech ever, she’s in fact a stranger. “It’s alright. I can tell through your silence that you’re wondering if you should trust me or not. But, think about it this way – I won’t ever be able to know it’s you if we cross paths on the street. If you don’t talk, I’ll probably never know if I’ll see you again.” She advised cheerfully. Her cheerfulness was so funny to watch. It’s like she took advantage of her disability to become even more approachable and charming. “I…guess you’re right.” She clapped. “Of course I’m right!! I’ve been right about everything since the start. Go ahead.” I chuckled and took a deep breath before starting to talk about my insecurities with a stranger.

“I…just found out that my girlfriend of 10 years has been cheating on me for the past 5, at least.” I don’t know what it was more embarrassing right now: talking about this with a stranger, or actually admitting I’ve been fooled for so long. Ariana in a breath and reached for my shoulder. “That’s pretty bad, honestly. I can totally get why you’re mad. How did you find out?”

“On the very day I was going to propose. I was out of the country for work, and I guess they miscalculated my estimated time to arrive. They were…in my bed..Our bed.” This is so depressing and embarrassing. “I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s a pretty nasty way to find out actually. But, satisfy my curiosity – why don’t you sound sad?” That was something I was asking myself too, for the past two hours. “I mean…you sound disappointed and angry maybe. But, you’re not sad. Why is that? Were you somehow expecting that to happen?” Ariana was really accurate with her guesses. Sometimes talking to someone who doesn’t know you enough to judge is really the best. “I…don’t know. I came here to drown in my self pity and alcohol, but…nothing came. I mean, I’m mad at myself for being fooled for so long. But, I believe everything turned a little cold after so much time together. I…kind of see it happen.”

“But you were still going to propose, though.”

“I thought it was the right thing to do.”

“You don’t believe that. I can hear it in your voice.” I feel more with this girl and she can’t actually see me. How scary is that? “It’s true. I don’t. I thought it would make her happy, so I did. I ignored all the clear signs everything was coming to an end.” Ariana smiled knowingly. “And do you know why was that? Because you only see with your eyes, just like everyone else.” I faced her and admired her expression. I was happy she couldn’t see me; otherwise it would’ve been creepy. She was definitely right. If she smiled she was happy, if she frowned she was mad. And…that’s it. I didn’t know how to interpret the rest. “If you closed your eyes more, you could probably tell how her voice wasn’t that cheerful on the phone when you called her, how her laughter wasn’t sincere to your jokes, how her body wasn’t that responsive to your touch. These are the signs everyone ignore, but they are the most truthful way to know if something is wrong. Words can deceive; there are people really good at masking their expression too. But you can’t change what’s inside.” I was blown away. I didn’t know what to say, and suddenly felt so dumb. Replaying the past years of my relationship, her speech during our phone calls would be almost robotic full of fake emotion; she rarely searched for me or my body like she did in the beginning. Everything was there…”I’m not saying it was your fault. I’m sure you did your best to be a good boyfriend. I’m just saying you missed important things that could probably save your relationship. But, don’t sweat it! It’s only when you lose the ability to see with your eyes, that you’ll be able to understand it’s a lot more important to see beyond that, as well.”

Ariana called for the bartender to order a drink, and I kept silent. Everything was so right, and I was so mad about admitting it. It when you’re wrong. “Kyuhyun? Are you still there?” I snapped out of my inner misery and answered her. “Y-yeah. I’m sorry…I just don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t need to say anything. Just accept that it’s over, that you made a mistake, that she made a mistake and move on. There’s no point in suffering. I, mean, with a voice like yours it shouldn’t be hard to find someone else.” She sipped her drink and swallowed happily. “You keep mentioning that. Is that some kink you have?” She almost spit her drink and laughed loudly. “Kink? That’s a good one! Well, I guess you could call that a kink if I tell you I choose the people I get along with according of how their voices make me feel. My ears are amazing, you have no idea!”

“And I assume you decided to talk to me because my voice sounded ‘safe’ to you?” She faced in my direction slowly in order not to fall. “Safe doesn’t make justice of how you sound like. You sound warm, inviting, alluring, just like a predator calling his prey in. And I meant that as a compliment, of course. I can’t sense any ill intentions in your voice.” I blushed at her compliment. Most people comment on my looks, most of them approach me because of it. She actually stopped and talked to me, just because she liked of how I sounded, even after I was pretty rude to her. “T-thank you, I guess. That’s a nice thing to hear.” She held my hand again. “It’s funny that as soon as I heard you I automatically imagined someone really warm. I was surprised to feel how warm your hands were – I wasn’t wrong about my guess.” Holding her hand was really nice, although I felt a little shy to do that with someone I wasn’t romantically involved. I guess I needed some contact as well, to feel better. “See? Being blind gives you an excuse to hold strangers hands!” We both laughed and I couldn’t help to agree with her.

***

“So, you work as a translator? That’s pretty cool!” Ariana exclaimed. We left our previous location and went to a cozy café, with the best hot beverages in Seoul. She was really fun to talk with, and the fact she couldn’t see me, made me relax a lot.

“Yeah, I’m the guy you see behind artists and politicians on the events. It’s pretty fun. I get to travel a lot and meet new people.” Ariana was sitting really close to me, but I don’t think she’s doing it intentionally. I believe she can’t detect the correct distance she should be, and she uses that in order to replace the lack of visual contact she can’t have. “I can see you really love your job. Your voice just went up a lot. You’re sure excited.” She smiled and I nodded in agreement, although she couldn’t see. “What do you do, Ariana?”

“I’m a piano teacher.” I opened my mouth surprised. Of course she is a piano teacher! I’m not sure how surprising is that...”Oh that explains the voice kink and your super developed ears!” She laughed sweetly. “I know right? Music is for all of us – even when you can’t see. It heals, it brings your mood up or down – it’s everything to me. The sounds of my surroundings influences everything about me, on my daily bases.”

“That makes a lot of sense. I love music too, but I don’t play anything.”

“You just enjoy after it’s done. That’s completely fine, too.” She sipped her drink. “Although, I believe you should sing.” I choke on my laughter. “You’re too nice Ariana. Besides having no talent of whatsoever to music, I have a ridiculous stage fright.”

“That’s why you like to be in the shadows of everyone.”

“Yeah…it’s comfortable. It’s safe.”

“Mnh, safe it’s good. You help in your way, but you don’t have to show your face. Being blind is also a blessing for that.” Blessing? How is being disabled a blessing? What an odd girl. “Blessing for what?”

“If you can’t see, you can’t fear. It’s like you’re always alone. When I’m performing, and the room is silent, it’s just me and my piano.” She sipped her hot chocolate. “Do you think you would be playing the piano, if you weren’t blind?” She chuckled. “Absolutely not. I would be too fearful of the judgmental looks I would receive. Just like all of you.” She shrugged her shoulders and resumed sipping on her drink.

***

“Mom, where are you?” I was waiting for my mom at the school entrance. I was going to watch my nephew perform at the choir for the first time. “Right here Kyuhyunnie!” I followed her and took a seat next to her. I spared a moment to look at my surroundings – although Ariana’s words got imprinted in my mind, I couldn’t agree that being able to see things with your eyes was too overrated. I mean, the school’s auditorium was beautiful; without my eyes I couldn’t appreciate those details, I couldn’t see the joyful expressions of the adorable kids on stage, the instruments, and...Wait a minute – is that Ariana on stage? I squinted a bit, and from the white cane next to her piano I had my confirmation. What a small world. After we met almost two months ago, I’ve never see her again. We didn’t trade numbers, because it was just a one time thing – but her words played a lot in my mind sometimes. I tried hard to do what she does: see without my eyes, but I guess it’s too hard to achieve. Just like every Human Being I’ll always choose the easy way.

Watching her beautifully play on the piano was a relaxing sight. Just like she mentioned, it’s just her and the piano. It’s her moment, when she can’t see the looks of everybody in audience. It’s peaceful, and easy. The song was beautiful, and the kids sounded adorable, following her directions pretty well. When it was over, I followed my mom to pick up the kid. He saw me there and went running towards me. I was always travelling, so he definitely wasn’t expecting me to come. “Uncle, you came!” He hugged me tightly. “I did, kid. You did really great out there. You’re so big.” I hugged him, and messed with his hair.

“Kyuhyun?” I looked over my shoulder and there she was, beautiful like last time, her dark eyes looking for the correct direction of my voice. “Ariana.” She smiled brightly and tried to reach me. I held her hand, leading her in my direction. “I knew it was you as soon as I heard your voice. I’m so happy to meet you again. Your hands are still warm.” I blushed only because my mother was there, and was watching this scene surprised. “You really did recognize me. I loved the performance. You played beautifully.” She squeezed my hands sweetly, and her cheeks blushed. “Thank you. I’m so happy you enjoyed.”

“Uncle do you know Ariana noona?” Listening to Yu’s voice, Ariana looked down and let go of my left hand to search for the kid. “Yu, Kyuhyun is your uncle?” Yu stepped closer to her, and grabbed her arms in order for her to know where he was. “Yes! I’m happy he came…he’s always away.” Ariana crouched near my nephew and found his cheeks with her hands. “I see sadness in your voice. Don’t be sad baby, your uncle came and that’s what matters.” She smiled and Yu hugged her. “Mhh, you smell so good! Where’s your grandma, Yu?”

“I’m right here!” She looked up in direction of the voice and smiled. My mom grabbed her hand to lead her in the right direction. I was…stunned with her warm interaction with everybody. For a moment I thought this was a one time thing, or even a way to flirt, but apparently she’s just a warm person. “Kyuhyun?” She called me after talking with my mom. She turned around, trying to reach me. I grabbed her hand, and she smiled. “I’m here…”

“Would you like to have lunch with me? I would love to talk to you more.” I was happy and a little blown away by her straightforwardness. Before I could say yes, my mom just nodded her head and smiled, taking Yu away. “Sure. I would love to talk to you more, as well.” I gave her my arm for her to hold, and I grabbed her cane and purse. I was leading the way for her, so she wouldn’t need it for now. “I’m so surprised to know you’re Yu’s uncle. I guess…we really were bound to meet again, even if you didn’t wanted to!” She laughed and faced me slightly. “I guess so. And I confess, I’m definitely surprised at how you recognize me only for my voice. I mean, we met one time and we spent a couple of hours together. That’s not enough time for me to memorize anything.” She chuckled. “I have super ears remember? Besides, I already told you how amazing you sound. It’s totally unique – never in my life I’ve heard a similar voice, so I would always recognize it and never mix with anyone else.” These kind of compliments left me all warm inside. They were honest, sweet and original. It’s great to feel you’re unique for something that you’re not suppose to see but only hear.

“Where are we going?” She was pretty curious about where I was taking her. “I can smell spaghetti. Please tell me it’s italian!” I was stunned. We were still a couple meters away from the restaurant and I definitely couldn’t smell anything. “So besides having super developed ears, you also have a nose as powerful as a dog?” she suddenly tripped and laughed a lot. I grabbed her arm, scared she was going to fall. “OMG, that was really funny! How come nobody ever told me that? I’m at disadvantage here! I have one less sense to rely on, that’s why the other ones work so much better than yours.” She managed to stick her tongue out at me and she was actually facing the right direction. But, I decided to . “You know you just stick your tongue out at an old man, right?” She smiled arrogantly. “Don’t even try, Kyuhyun. I have years of this. I know I was facing you when I did that.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Just like your hands, your body is really warm and I can feel it at this distance, on my right side. Your left hand is holding my right arm, and unless you were born with your arms on the wrong sides, I most definitely stick my tongue out at the right person.” She stuck her nose up, and I shut up. Her arguments were completely valid and I guess, it was too hard to fool someone who couldn’t see. “I was just testing your reflexes and senses.” She chuckled. “Yeah, right...”

***

“How are you doing?” We finished eating our stupendous spaghetti and were now just sipping some warm tea at a nearby park.

“Good. It’s surprising how fast I was able to move on. I guess, I wasn’t that in love with her, apparently.”

“That’s good. I mean, it’s bad because you weren’t that in love with her, but it’s good because you don’t suffer as much.” Since I’ve told her pretty much my whole life. I’ll take a chance and ask her some questions, myself. “Ariana? Can I ask things too?” She turned slowly towards the sound of my voice, and smiled. “Of course you can. Why do you sound afraid?” I slapped my face. I forget how good she can detect these things. “I’m afraid you won’t want to answer.”

“That can happen. But you should still try. Go on.”

“How did you get…blind?” I closed my eyes waiting for her expression to turn sour, or just tell me I’m really insensitive, but none of that happen. Only an amused expression and an answer. “I was born this way. I’ve never saw, and I don’t have any idea how things look like. I only rely on my imagination, and on what people say to me. Was that the thing you were worried about asking?” She looked disappointed. “W-well, I thought it was a touchy topic. But, I honestly wanted to know…” She managed to sit a little closer on the bench without spilling her tea. “I can hear you’re embarrassed. Don’t be. I understand why you would be worried – most people get blind because of an accident or a disease. But, in my case I was never able to see so I don’t know what I lost. Do you get what I mean? It’s normal for me this way, because I don’t know how it is in any other way. My parents are both blind, so the chances of having a blind child were huge. It’s totally okay.” She sounded honestly at peace with her disability. That was endearing to watch.

“Did you ever wondered how it would be like to be able to see?”

“I did…more when I was younger and didn’t have the same understanding of the world that I have now. But, I believe everything happens for a reason, so I’m happy I can shield from all the ugly things I would see if I could, and just rely on my imagination. My ideal of how the world should be. To me, that’s a blessing.” I felt really bad hearing her say that. I had everything since I was young, but I wasn’t appreciative enough. I was never happy enough. Even now, it’s hard to feel satisfied. But this amazing girl, has a difficult life just because of her physical limitations, and she even calls that a blessing. “I know that right now you’re feeling very ungrateful because you have it all, and I don’t…but don’t be hard on yourself. We can only see the true value in things when we lost them. It’s something you shouldn’t feel bad about. I’m sure if I wasn’t blind I would be the same way.”

“Do you read minds, although you can’t see?” She chuckled. “No, but I can feel the mood really well. Your breathing stopped suddenly, you were surprised with my words and horrified about your thoughts. I knew you were probably thinking something like that.” She’s….amazing. I wondered if I could do the same if I closed my eyes. “Is it okay…to be always so close to people? And I mean physically.” She sipped her tea. “I love being close. I can feel so many things from touching people. A hug, a pat on the head, a kiss…I can tell so many things from that. It colmatates the fact I can’t see. Ah, it’s also my way to flirt.” She laughed and I bit my lip and looked at her. Was…she flirting with me? “Were you…flirting with me?”

“Ups, you got me.” She found my hand and laced our fingers together. “Is that a problem? I mean, there’s a positive side in everything – you could be really ugly and I’m still interested in you.” I laughed so hard at this. “If I told you I’m not ugly would you believe me?” I swept her hair around her right side of her neck, feeling the soft texture of her locks. “I actually do believe you. I’m sure you look as beautiful as you sound.” The mood between us suddenly changed. I was completely fascinated with her view of the world, and her pink lips looked so inviting now. I took a deep breath and took a chance. “Ariana…can I kiss you?” She bit her lip and approach my neck with her right hand, keeping her left one laced with mine. “Only if you bring me closer.” I led both her hands to the back of my neck, letting her eventually run her fingers on my skin, and I pulled her body closer to mine, letting my arms rest on her waist. Her face was so close to mine, I could feel the puffs of warm air sipping through her nose; she looked calm and relaxed, just enjoying the pleasurable feeling of having another body close to hers. I brushed my lips on her, and she smiled at the feeling, and then I went in. My lips pressed against her was…totally different from all the other kisses I’ve shared in the past. They were warm, and smooth. Ariana kissed with her whole body, and unlike other women, this feeling was so much more intense, because all of her remaining senses worked so much better.

Her hands rubbed the back of my neck sweetly, and slipped my bottom lip between hers. That…drove me crazy, and I took advantage on that to taste further. She gladly complied, meeting me halfway with her tongue. Everything just vanished around us, and the only thing that mattered was this beautiful girl and her kiss. Ariana stepped back slowly; it felt like we were kissing forever. She brushed her nose on mine and bit her lip with her breathing still a little worked up. I wasn’t doing any better. “W-was it…too fast?”

She kept her eyes closed even though she couldn’t see me if she had them open. She looked happy. “It was perfect….you kiss as beautifully and as warm as you sound.” I felt all fuzzy with her compliment. This wasn’t the type of things I was used to hear. “Is…this that different to you?”

“It is. It’s…an experience. I’m getting to know you in the most intimate way. It’s a way of understanding so many things.” My hands were running up and down her back, talking so close to each other. “Honestly…if you could see my face right now, I wouldn’t be as relaxed as I am. I feel so…close to you even if you can’t tell if I’m saying the truth or not.”

“I can tell all that. Your voice sounds tremendously sweet and honest right now, your heart is beating really fast, just like mine, your hands are softly rubbing up and down my back. You enjoyed it too. Otherwise, you would be honest enough to tell me.” I pecked her lips, and she hummed surprised. We engaged in another kiss, Ariana took her time exploring my shoulders, chest and arms, and that felt…so good, and different.

“See how being blind is definitely a blessing?” She whispered close to my lips. I stepped back confused. “If I was a normal girl, this would be taken as groping or you would probably think I was interested in something more. But, here I am, kissing you, and rubbing my hands freely through your body and nothing about your actions tells me you’re thinking about taking this further.” We both laughed at this. She’s right, I’ve never kissed someone like that if I wasn’t interested in having with her. But, I just felt like she was getting to know me in her way. Nothing else.

“Do…you want to go away? It’s getting cold…”

“Yeah. Are you gonna take advantage of me, now?” She laughed out loud hugging my arm, now that we were standing again. “Believe me Ariana, I think you have all the advantage here.”

***

We were laying on the carpet of my living room, with the heater on and a fluffy blanket covering us up. Ariana was blissfully running her hands through the soft material of the blanket, her feet entangled with mine, and I was playing with her hair. We were completely dressed, but we kissed a few more times, each time better than the other. I don’t know how this started, but there’s just something so intriguing and romantic about getting to know each other this way, that I completely ignored the fact I barely knew her and she barely knew me. Besides all that, she felt like the most sincere person I’ve ever been. “Everything is so comfy, and warm. I’m glad your house matches you.” She dragged her body closer to mine, and touched my neck softly with her fingers. “I’m comfy and warm?” I hugged her close to me, and chuckled. “Of course you are. It’s like cotton candy and hot chocolate.” She buried her nose in my chest. “You smell so good too. I know it’s unfair to say this, but I wish I could see you right now. I only get these happy emotions coming from you, I can’t even imagine if I could see your face. “ I kissed her forehead.

“You say really nice things…I wish you could see how pretty you are.” She smiled and snuggled closer. “Well, I can’t see…but I’m sure I’m pretty. I mean, would you take me home if I wasn’t?” I laughed. What a great moral and spirit this girl has. I couldn’t help to agree that she’s indeed blessed. If it wasn’t for her blindness she wouldn’t bump into me, and I would never meet her probably. I can’t wait to found out more about what this closeness between us could lead to.

“Ariana, would you like to see me more? I-I..mean, not see, like..uhh” She laughed. “Are you nervous? You’ve been in a relationship for 10 years! You can’t possibly be nervous about asking me out…I can’t even see you!” I felt like punching myself for this. “I’m nervous because I’m choosing my words carefully. I’ve…never been with someone like you. I need to be up to your standards.” She lifted her face from my chest, and looked up. Her face wasn’t at the same level as mine, but she was looking at the right direction. The fact that she could sense that so well amazed me. Without any word, she started to touch my face with her hands. Her touch was soft and she smiled once in awhile. Her confidence was amazing. What a difference it does when you free your mind from the outer appearance judgement. This girl, doesn’t know how she looks like, doesn’t know how I look like, and even so, she understands so much more because she only looks on what’s inside and what she’s feeling.

“From what I can see, with my fingers, you’re definitely up to my standards. But, I’ve never really cared about that. So, whatever you ask, it’s fine. I’ll definitely say yes.” She touched my lips with her thumb and I brought closer to mine knowing what she wanted. When we broke apart, I finally asked what I wanted. “Will you, Ariana, spend more time with me and help me see without my eyes?” She smiled happily and hugged me tight. “You bet I will.”

 

Ahhh, I'll just go hide under the bed in shame. I hope you enjoyed it, and made it through this somehow. I sure hope it's not that bad.

Happy birthday for me, cause I just turned 23 this past Wednesday! Weyy, still no idea what to do with my life, though. But, it's okay, I'll just figure it out next year :)

Just wanted to share this, though:

Resultado de imagem para kyuhyun grazia december

Tell me how am I suppose to concentrate when this dude is looking hotter everyday? I'm definitely going to hell. Cho Kyuhyun it's my ultimate sin.

Comments are appreciated, even if you don't enjoy it xD Just let me know so I can do better!