[bonus 1]

Nepenthean Encounters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

this is so rushed but i just wanted to post something for baekhyun's birthday (it's still his birthday in my timezone) >.<

this is not the sequel to the story!

i know i already have baekhyun's birthday written into the story at the end... however, these drabbles (because yes, there probably will be more) do not fit into the timeline of the story. they're just... extra scenes? think of them as aus of sorts?

i hope you'll enjoy them nonetheless~ (please help me out and answer the questions in the closing author's note!)

 

Baekhyun throws his pillow over his head to save his eyes from the harsh brightness of the sunlight cascading through his window. He curses his past self for having forgotten to pull the blinds close the night before, and wills himself back to sleep. A groan escapes him when his phone starts vibrating somewhere to his right. He waits it out, waits for whoever it is to give up and end the call, and breathes out a sigh of relief when the phone’s vibration stops and he is once again rewarded with silence. The room is quiet for about a minute before the vibrating starts again.

 

‘Damn it…’ he whines inwardly, kicking his feet under his sheets in tantrum. He blindly reaches his hand towards the bedside table and feels around for the mobile device, and then tosses his pillow to the side to squint at the blurry name on the bright screen. Baekhyun swallows, tries to return moisture to his dry throat, and presses the green “Answer” button.

 

“Hello?” Baekhyun croaks, pushing himself up to lean against his headboard. He catches the half-empty bottle of Smirnoff on the table beside him. Well that would explain his cottonmouth and pounding headache.

 

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol’s voice sounds through the earpiece.

 

“Hey, Chanyeol.” In the background, Baekhyun hears Chanyeol’s five-year-old son excitedly asserting something to his father.

 

“Mr. Baekhyun!” Comes the shrill cry of the child not a moment later. Baekhyun winces and rubs his hand down his face.

 

“Hey, Jaehyunee,” he responds, trying to sound as cheerful as he can possibly manage. In his mind, he’s done well.

 

“Mr. Baekhyun, are you sick?”

 

‘Oh.’ So maybe he didn’t sound as well as he’d thought. “No,” Baekhyun chuckles lightly, “I’ve just woken up. I’m a bit groggy.” ‘Not entirely a lie,’ Baekhyun thinks. There’s no need for him to tell Jaehyun — or his father — that he’s hungover because he drowned himself in half a bottle of cheap vodka last night.

 

He hears Jaehyun gasp on the other end of the line. “Wake up, Mr. Sleepyhead Baekhyun! It’s lunchtime already!”

 

Baekhyun glances at the glowing red numbers on his alarm clock, and sure enough, it was already quarter past noon. “Mr. Baekhyun had a late night last night,” he chuckles bashfully. He hears Jaehyun arguing with his father, and then a much deeper voice comes on the phone.

 

“Baekhyun? You’re sick?”

 

“No,” Baekhyun replies quickly, reassuring the worried single father. “I just had a late night… I just woke up.”

 

“Good. You needed the rest.” Baekhyun nods in agreement before realizing that Chanyeol can’t see him. “Will you be able to come over later? For dinner?”

 

“Sure,” Baekhyun agrees, — the headache should be gone in a few hours time, he hopes — “should I bring anything?”

 

“Just yourself!” Chanyeol says cheerfully. “We’ll see you around, say, six o’clock?”

 

“See you then.” Baekhyun ends the call and stares at the lock screen of his phone, in a trance, for a while. He frowns at the date, feeling the dull pang in his chest, before clicking the phone’s screen off. He wonders briefly if he should call Chanyeol back and cancel, but the disappointed faces of both Chanyeol and Jaehyun flashing in his mind promptly dissolves that thought. Baekhyun sighs and once again grabs the pillow to throw over his face.

 

Today was going to be a long day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun wakes up to soft humming, and the most mouth-watering smell. He stretches his arms over his head and stretches loudly before opening his eyes to the sight of his beautiful wide, standing beside the bed with a tray full of breakfast foods.

 

“Hey there, sleepyhead,” Sunhee greets him with a teasing smile. “I was starting to think I’d have to eat all of these pancakes by myself.”

 

Baekhyun smirks and lifts himself upright. “As if,” he chuckles. “You’ll have to fight me for them.”

 

Sunhee laughs a melodious laugh and settles herself besides Baekhyun on the bed, placing the tray in front of the both of them. “It’s your day,” she says, grooming his bedhead with his fingers, “they’re all for you.”

 

Baekhyun wraps an arm around his wife, pulling her sideways and closer to him, enwrapping her in an awkward back hug. He chuckles when he sees the single candle standing proudly in the center of the stack of pancakes, surrounded by a mountain of whipped cream and strawberries. “You’re perfect,” he whispers, pecking her on the cheek.

 

Sunhee playfully smacks him and picks up the lighter, lighting the candle. “Make a wish, birthday boy!” She frowns when he immediately blows the candle out. “That must’ve been the shortest wish in the world.”

 

“I didn’t wish for anything,” Baekhyun replies, taking a dollop of whipped cream onto his finger, “I already have everything I could possibly wish for,” he smiles, tapping her nose and smearing the cream on her face.

 

“Byun Baekhyun!” Sunhee screams, pushing a laughing Baekhyun over, but only ends up falling with him when he wraps his arm tightly around her waist and drags her down. “I hate you so much!”

 

“Is that so?”

 

“Yes! Ugh, you’re such a jerk!”

 

“Well, this jerk happens to love you,” Baekhyun responds, raising his upper body to kiss her nose, the cream from it, “so much.” He snickers when Sunhee hits him against his chest with fists.

 

“I suppose I love you too,” she mumbles. She looks up and smiles at him, and then brings their lips together for a kiss. “Happy birthday, Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Daddy~ Hurry! Hurry!” Jaehyun whines as he runs around the living room, scattering balloons here and there.

 

“I’m going, I’m going,” Chanyeol mutters as he carefully walks into the dining room carrying the Avengers-themed cake Jaehyun had insisted they get for his Mr. Baekhyun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter